Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,014 members, 7,817,987 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely (20521 Views)

Niger Delta University Closed Indefinitely Over Protest / OAU-Ife Students Fetch Water From Stream (Pictures) / Man Beaten For Molesting OAU-Ife Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by folakeojo(f): 9:12pm On Feb 24, 2011
@ rabzy i agree wit all d listed points except one. the issue of beating up of girls. i just finished from ife so i am giving you a genuine info. all dem aluta guys use the aluta opportunity to beat girls espy when they go to moz to chase out girls for aluta so don't talk about dat one. this happens evrytime there is aluta but no one will openly talk about it cos its taken for granted dat it is expectd. The most annoying thing is they are never as aggresive as dat once they enter male hostels. just pitiful. as for the closure, well its just a pity hope they settle the mess soon so students can move on with their lives. or maybe they should try what uniben did dat students will sign an undertaken that anyone who tries to disrupt the school will be automatically expelled. the world has moved beyond this strikestrike thing. once you step out you'll realise its not worth the wasted time.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 9:34pm On Feb 24, 2011
fayawo:

@ NaijaNile and KayZ4Sure you guys have spoken.

I have been there,Aluta will sound interesting for alot of folks BUT when it is time to account for so many WASTED years of your life you will regret all the 6 months,8 months of MOJO break.

You may not realize this until you graduate and a 21 year old girl from Babcock will order you up and down to go buy epa and boli!

You may not realize now until some companies tell you,you are too old to apply!

Make hay while the sun shines.  The world is moving and it could be leaving guys behind while they are busy doing Greatest GboGbo,Pawon,Shiwon,Shhhssshshshs.  FYI Faborode's salary will not stop entering his account even if you delay your destiny and bright future  from today till next year.[color=#990000][/color]

The future is staring at folks in the face while they are blindly following the dictates of some short sighted folks.I beg Finish your studies and go and start making good money.

I rest my case o.

well said.I was part of the 60 percent set in 2001. I wasted circa two years at OAU all because of late resumption and strike. People should realize that time is the prime asset in life.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by honsule(m): 9:51pm On Feb 24, 2011
fayawo:

I have been there,Aluta will sound interesting for alot of folks BUT when it is time to account for so many WASTED years of your life you will regret all the 6 months,8 months of MOJO break.

You may not realize this until you graduate and a 21 year old girl from Babcock will order you up and down to go buy epa and boli!

Make hay while the sun shines.  The world is moving and it could be leaving guys behind while they are busy doing Greatest GboGbo,Pawon,Shiwon,Shhhssshshshs.  FYI Faborode's salary will not stop entering his account even if you delay your destiny and bright future  from today till next year.[color=#990000][/color]

The future is staring at folks in the face while they are blindly following the dictates of some short sighted folks.I beg Finish your studies and go and start making good money.

I rest my case o.

True yarn jare.Time wait for nobody.Thank God for U.I otherwise,maybe i for still dey Ife instead of Law skol

Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by honsule(m): 9:53pm On Feb 24, 2011
fayawo:

I rest my case o.

True yarn jare.Time wait for nobody.Thank God for U.I otherwise,maybe i for still dey Ife instead of Law skol
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by dancenony: 10:27pm On Feb 24, 2011
i know most of you opening that gutter you call mouth say that my great IFE i not great must have sought admission in OAU once or many and failed and now u wana start hating, anyway until u come to OAU and spend 4 5 6 years depending, u will never understand, GREATEST IFE, MY GREAT ALMA-MATER
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 10:44pm On Feb 24, 2011
thank u jare fayawo.u c students wastin dia tym lyk dey can buy yesterday.i'm a tyical examle of d descripptn u gave.i finished from babcock at twenty one,served twenty two.doin my mastas in oau,and gud enof d strike wud hel me in completin my thesis fast coc i dont have to travel 4 research.british council n oda places of research r nearby.dey can strike 4 ten yrs 4 all i kia.no wonder dey send 7 yrs doin a 4 yr cos n speak sick english claimin english is not dia moda tongue.all dia days is 4 gosipin,watchin yoruba movies lyk illiterate house wives n loiterin new buka at nyt.i cant wait to get out to explore my potentials as an msc holder at twentyfive.while u can still be twenty eight in 3oo level n b strikin n galivantin d whole of lagos while ppu r makin d best of dia tym to be intellectuals n money diggers
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by sirwebs(m): 10:58pm On Feb 24, 2011
@ Great people, if you think education is expensive, try illiteracy.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by MeGaStReEt: 11:32pm On Feb 24, 2011
The same thing is happening in AAU, the school has been closed down. I don't know who exactly to point the finger at, but some crazy people from 18k increased the school fees to 65k. Mr. Adam ordered the school to be closed down till further notice. I wonder how much they paid to go to school back then
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by tunde300us(m): 11:53pm On Feb 24, 2011
If we go with the theory some ppl are proposing here then i guess one day we will wake up and all federal schools will start charging N500,000 per session.
I know we want to finish on time and face life after then,but at what price ? and do we have to steal to go to school ? If education wasnt affordable when the likes of faborode went to school then am sure he will still be on the street riding okada cos the opportunity to actualise his future goals has been taken away from him.

And for kuylie maybe u shld be a bit modest with your comments,cos the student speak their local language dont mean they cant do better than you when the opportunity presents itself.And secondly,what is it with you and ur thesis sef ? pls do and go and submit jare
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by reindeer: 1:20am On Feb 25, 2011
Yep, Ife is still great!
Anyone asking questions obviously never went there so pardon them.
Coming down to student unrests, it is part and parcel of learning in that great school and challenging authorities is what people who graduate from there learn wella!
I only hope it doesnt last too long. . .na the medical students i dey pity, we spent 9years there for a 6year course in the mid 90's(the Tony Fash saga) and age tells on people.
But sha . .Great Ife students, despair not, for your worth will be shown once you enter the market place. . .
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 2:17am On Feb 25, 2011
OAU, the best university in Nigeria, Africa and the World!!!!!!!! anyway, that's part of the challenges faced by great institutions, isn't it?
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by aparta(m): 3:05am On Feb 25, 2011
The so called management all graduated from OAU, BENEFITED FROM THE FREE EDUCATION OF GREAT OBAFEMI AWOLOWO SELFLESSNESS. And now want to make all the money for the late hero, take the money to heaven/ hell. my 4 years in oau the money i paid is not as much as what the current part 1 are paying
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by DamiKhojie(m): 3:18am On Feb 25, 2011
Both my parents went to this school in the early 80s and always talked about how nice it was back then. My aunt just graduated from there 2 years ago it took her 6 years to get her degree because school was always being disrupted shame its declining.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by ekubear1: 4:03am On Feb 25, 2011
Ife students need to step up and save the school.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by charlie193: 4:19am On Feb 25, 2011
@All great Ife

I laugh at you guys stupidity. Like someone said earlier, you guys are wasting your time. I pray that one day you will come to America and see how University Education, even campus, suppose to look like . . .

Ha! omo de lo seyin , *shakes head*
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by rhymz(m): 6:19am On Feb 25, 2011
OAU is just living in its past glories, the constant resort to shutting down of the school at every slight hint of disagreement between the SUG and Sch management has rendered all the "Great Ife" slogan peurile. The problem with a lot of students is that most of the time they fail to understand the enormity of the problems, they get an order from their so-called SUG leaders and just follow them like zombies without actually thinking first what the end result might do to their own program in the school, they just throw all caution to the wind and in their frenzied combetiveness, they lose their sense of better reasoning and be the loser at the end. The issue of increase in school fees and other sundry charges has metamorphosed from a benign effort to make the sch management financially self-sufficient to a cancerous outgrowth of corruption and exploitation. But the tricky story here is that most often than not, the SUG body is part and parcel of the corrupt system, they only scream murder when things do not go their way and foolishly use frustrated students to cause problems. Activism is one thing most of the Universities in the Southwest are known for-"not just Great Ife" alone-how ever, in Ife it appears constantly being at loggerhead with constituted authority is what makes them great now adays. To be fair, there are better ways to tackle problems than getting physical and forcing authority to indefinitely shut down the school. In fact, in comparison to Universities in the Southeast, the southwestern schools pay way less. While Ife students pay N2000 for acceptance fees, in FUTO for instance it is N10,000 and people pay it. Imo State University for instance which is a state run University charges as much as N50,000 for just acceptance amd recently about N150,000 for school fees. The summary of my point is:
1. It is becoming a norm across Nigerian University managements to raise funds from increasing these charges and levies.
2. Striking or causing unrest in the University only give placebo effects, at the end of the whole brouhaha, the increase will still stand whether it is reduced or gradually done.
3. Individually, it would have been a fruitless waste of time, disruption of the academic calender and in effect, increase your cost.
4. There are better ways to achieve better results without compromising the length of your programmes in the University. For instance, SUG can insist that if there is going to be an increment in school fees, then somethings must be done to cushion the effects and so on.
Great Nigerian Students!
Make una use una Head O!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by jacobs123(m): 7:35am On Feb 25, 2011
As an Alumnus of OAU, my heart burns from the stupidity and rascality often exhibited by the school's SUG and the incompetence of the school's Governing schools. You can't be closing down schools everyday and I don't care for what reasons.
For the students, by the time you graduate and realise that you are too old to be called for any interview, it will be too late and unfortunately for you guys, the labor market cannot even absorb the number of young people who have 2-1s and above that are being pushed out from the Nigerian private universities and those from foreign universities like Ghana, Benin republic not to mention graduate from the developed countries!
Whatever school fees, you refuse to pay now, you will eventually pay it trying to acquire one certification or the other when you can't get a job.

I must admit that's one side of the problem but that is the one that should matter to the students.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by ekubear1: 7:37am On Feb 25, 2011
^-- Yep. They are pretty much destroying what was in the 70s and 80s a phenomenal university. An entire generation of Yoruba professionals educated there. They aren't thinking through their actions enough.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by mahil: 7:41am On Feb 25, 2011
It touch
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by deekaybee: 8:59am On Feb 25, 2011
I think jacobs123 has captured it all. As an alumnus of the school i know what it means to waste all that time in school and get out even with your 2.1 and all the knowledge and not even be able to get in front of an employer to show it cos you are already over age. The sad thing is most of the SUG leaders are not even interested in leaving the school in any case. Before Diamond in 2006, from 2000 that i resumed no President had graduated. A lot of these boys have no plans of seeking for jobs with their degrees and unfortunately they are the ones who lead those who intend to.
Ife students should look ahead of them and find easier ways to resolve their differences with the management as there would always be differences.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by evilspirit: 9:29am On Feb 25, 2011
fools closure isnt same with strike
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by rabzy: 9:35am On Feb 25, 2011
All the Above are valid points but its not enough for people who never came to the school to just come here and rant off about things they know little off, calling OAU students idiots.

How much of the supposed 'peace' in their school was achieved by students, the school authorities have castrated their Unions and nothing is left for the students to do but to swallow every trash pushed down their throat by any administrator. In those schools students are killed, beaten and raped mercilessly and repeatedly on their campus and they pretend as if nothing of such is happening. These things hardly happen on OAU campus and its all down to the students efforts.

The years btw 1998 and 2005 were especially trying, we had the Ife-modakeke war, we had the attack on campus by external cultists and the subsequent rout of all those involved.

Rogers did a meaningless 6 months calendar regularization, national ASUU added their own strike fighting for Ilorin 44 lecturers, at the same time the Ilorin University did not join the strike, these lecturers also have Families and they were wrongly sent off and some Ilorin students can come here and mouth off.

The internal ASUU, ssanu, and nasu strikes have also led to several closures, then student protests don't have to lead to closures, but the administrators have to learn to manage he crisis differently.

That being said, the Law dept, English and other Faculties should try and organize forums, lectures etc to sensitize the students and look for a better way to deal with issues with more maturity, and also dialogue in a more political way with the management while bearing in mind the welfare of the students.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 10:01am On Feb 25, 2011
OAU? I weep for this country
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by baslone: 10:03am On Feb 25, 2011
O.A.U's been dead for over 10years.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by klovesh: 10:09am On Feb 25, 2011
I actually thought that things have changed in Ife, that closures have become a thing of the past. I graduated from the institution some 3 years ago, and believe, me, I had more that enough share of these closures.

My own take on this issue is that the students should act in wisdom and try and strike a balance. I must admit that the low fees, cost of living etc in Ife then were good things. Then, u culd leave home with as little as u had, and have a hope of surviving on the campus. Poor students could have a sense of belonging, without facing much pressures

While the students should try and preserve the meaningful and beneficial traditions of the school, they should also realise that things are changing generally and there is no point paying a price that is not worth the result.
In my own time, the price was 2-3 extra years (they were not all the students' fault anyway). It was too high for me. I wuld have given that away for some extra pay, if I culd trade.

The students need to have a future view of things. You are in school to get educated and leave. What happens after is what matters the most.

Great Ife!! If I were to do it all over, I think I will want to come back despite all the delay. Coming was quite worth it

I wish the students a nice stay at home, and pls try and get busy with something while u are waiting
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by omo9ja1(m): 10:31am On Feb 25, 2011
I am not happy with this development, people! our dear Govt both state and federal do something? lipsrsealed
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by juneita: 10:51am On Feb 25, 2011
Obafemi Awolowo University Closed On Matriculation Day

* Adebulu Taiwo Iyanu
* February 23, 2011
* More from this author

The moon moves slowly but by daylight, it crosses the sky. It all started like a joke when the management of Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife increased the school fees under the auspices of National Health Insurance Scheme, which was supposed to be optional. The management also increased the acceptance fee of the fresh men from two thousand naira to twenty thousand naira without tenable reasons. The news of the increment came as a shock to students when they were on break. It was a strategic plan by the University management which the students could not fight while they were at home. The fresh men were also speechless and helpless.

Being known for their dogged and intellectual “alutaism”, the students union quickly got their act together to rebuke and debunk the ‘ungodly act’ of the extortionate acceptance fee and increment. All measures were taken by the union leaders to get the University management to the round table to review the acceptance fee saga, with an appeal to make a downward review of the extortionate fee. However, this appeal to Caesar was fruitless as the management was said to be unco-operative towards the review. The union devised several means through which they can get the attention of the principalities and powers of the University to their ordeal, which include lecture boycott, protests, correspondence and barricade. The imbroglio gathered momentum when the University management resorted to intimidating and arresting Union leaders and student activist to quash and weaken the students.

Since the University management has learnt to shoot without missing, then students’ Union has learnt to fly without perching. The union leaders went back to the drawing board to devise their own means since the University management has decided not to listen to their pleas but resorted into undue intimidation and arrest of students. The Students union declared a lecture boycott on the twenty first of February which happens to be two days before the matriculation. Students trooped out of their halls of residence like bats out of hell to register their plight and protest the unfavourable and undemocratic policy of the University management and to press home their demands. Roads were blocked and aluta songs were chanted.

The Egypt-like protest continued to the next day when the demands of the students fell on deaf ears. Students went for the jugular and decided to go bananas and ballistic. The University gates were locked, roads across the University were blocked and traffic was put on hold. The protest took different dimension and the university turned into an atmosphere that one could cut with a knife.
The sad news came early in the morning of Wednesday, the matriculation day, from a radio station situated in the ancient city that the University management has decided to close the institution due to the growing unrest and tension on campus. The students were ordered to evacuate the Halls of residence. Some students responded by vacating the Halls and some were seen making a joke of the matter. The closure of the University came at a time when the University community was about to witness important events which include matriculation of Fresh students, induction, convocation and the opening of the historic multi million naira Natural museum
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by amaworld: 11:37am On Feb 25, 2011
may God help us in this country.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 11:52am On Feb 25, 2011
@ tunde300 us of cos i was modest as much as possible.i'm an oau student myself and i know how u guys live ur lives.i still repeat and insist dat a regular oau boy can afford dat money,dey just want to be stoopid and disrupt d skul calendar.unfortunatly 4 dia shallow minds it dint occur to dem dat dia strike doesnt affect faborodes income,his cabinet staffs and oda oau staffs.p.g students inclusive.and by d way u dont have to tell me to do my thesis and go.i know wot brot me to ife in d 1st place and a lota private uni graduates have 1 tin dat u guys dont have and its called FOCUS.of cos as soon as i'm done with my thesis i'm livin ife so y'all can still b spendin thousands of naira in new buka,do aluta 4 as long as u like and dont live skul again.suckers!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by juneita: 12:19pm On Feb 25, 2011
kylie or wateva ur name is,why are u taking things personal.u are talking as if you are still in secondary school.do u know that some people can't afford d 20,000 and do you think we are happy to be chased home.and why did you come to ife for ur postgraduate,u should have gone somewhere else.gosh, u suck
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 1:22pm On Feb 25, 2011
@juneita u r entitled 2 ur opinion.if u say i'm soundin lyk a secondry skul kid,fine.bt it doesnt change d fact dat its d truth.if i dint knw much bout oau i wont b typin here.a lota guys can aford d damn 2ok n by d way oau is stil 1 of d cheapest skuls in naija.boys spend 1ok or more in rotunda takin alchol n peper soup evry nyt.drive sleek cars etc n slip wit student in d aftnun prostitutes @ nyt n pay dem of so y shud 2ok b a prob.u dnt av 2 acept my opinion bt no amount of money is 2 xpensiv 2 invest in educatn.n if any1 told me oau strikes ova evry trivial isue,i wont av com near oau wida 1o fut pole (if i was an undagrad) bt fortunatly am a pg student n it doesnt afect ppu lyk us 1 bit.no wonda u waste beta pat of ur yrs in skul n wen u com out only minute number of u bcom employable.livin skul @ 27,28 is a kul tin 4 u guys.wen 25,26 yr old private uni graduates r makin money n maximizin dia tym .u cos disorder,skul management decide 2 go on strike n u complain dey r wastin ur tym.how unreasnable can u guys b
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Cougar2: 1:39pm On Feb 25, 2011
rabzy:

If you have not been there you would never understand. This is a school which is surrounded by hills, mountains and great bushes, but has never been taken over by cultists, a school where you can walk safely anytime of the day, read anywhere you like and go anywhere you want all this was achieved not by the school authorities but by the vigilant students.

This is a school where you can't just harass any student, in fact in my time which was quite recent if you lay your hands on a Lady, you are liable to ferefe sisi.
This is a school where for just 20,000 naira or so misappropriation of funds the student union president was almost lynched, and several union leaders have been impeached and beaten for embezzlement of paltry funds.

This is a school where basic amenities like light, water is fairly constant because the students would not allow themselves been shortchanged.

This is a school where fro m the day of resumption hundreds of students flock to reading areas when exams is still many months away.
This is a school where the students have been making waves all over the world and in the several fields just like other schools too.

Every school use the term Great, Great UItes, Great Akokites etc but we make the loudest noise and we are very proud to say it, so if some others cant proclaim their greatness as much as we do, we would not apologise for our behavior.

And even in those times past where people claim the glories exist, there was a whole lot of activism, in fact Fela mentioned it in one of his songs ' craze world be dat, where dem kill de students for zaria and ife'.

While all that has been said, just like with evry other movements and protests, the protests are often overdone and the student unions allow selfish and ideological jargons get in the way of reasoning, and they are the ones that go into negotiations with the school.
And OAU students don't shut the school, its the School authority that use it to just punish students and they see it as an easy way out of a crisis situation.

Greeeeeeat Ife

the school is the only good thing left in the whole nigeria.

ife is indeed great! the architectural beauty is peerless. do they still have the spider house behind the conference centre?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Post Utme Result And Admission List Of Rufus Giwa Poly Owo / Samuel Ogunlana: Crawford University Best Graduating Student Speaks / ASUU To Hold Emergency Meeting On Thursday. Strike To Be Likely Called Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.