Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,089 members, 7,814,779 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

Veteran Missionary Mama Ruth Elton At 86 (photos) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Veteran Missionary Mama Ruth Elton At 86 (photos) (5427 Views)

Sunday Mbang Is Dead (Methodist Prelate-emeritus Dies At 86) / Pa S.G. Elton - A Missionary & A Legend In Nigeria's Pentecostal Revival / Ruth Ifunanya Muoka And Lucky Oha Wedding Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Veteran Missionary Mama Ruth Elton At 86 (photos) by robosky02(m): 9:45pm On Sep 08, 2020
Church Gist Celebrate Veteran Missionary Mama Ruth Elton At 86 (Photos)

Baby Ruth Elton at 3 years of age (pictured here with her parents, Pa Sydney Granville and Mama Elton in Ilesa in the late 1930s). She clocked 86 on 7th September 2020 and is still doing kingdom stuff in Ilesa. The Elton family has given more than 160 missionary years to the advancement of God’s Kingdom in Nigeria.

This veteran missionary clocked 86 years on Monday, September 7. I had planned with my brother, Ojueromi Tayo, to pay her a visit in her Ilesha home today but she later called to say she has an appointment with her eye doctor and would not be available. But as the Lord planned it, her eye doctor was just at my backyard. So I was able to stroll in midday and personally give her my birthday greeting.

Her spirit is still very strong but her body is not as strong. Pls remember her in your prayers. She deserves good health, peace of mind and stress-free aging years.

Just in case you don’t know who she is, she is the only child of the late Pa S.G. Elton. She came with her parents to Nigeria in 1937 at the age of 3. She followed the footsteps of her parents to become a missionary for life, labouring in Okene, Koto Karfi and other areas of now Kogi state. Her commitment to this work made her to bear the cross of remaining single and at some point, naturalizing to become a full fledged Nigerian (her British citizenship limited her in some ways, so she let it go! What love for Nigeria).

Church Gist Celebrate Veteran Missionary Mama Ruth Elton At 86
She made disciples for Jesus and established them in small groups which have all grown to become a strong church with branches in different parts of Kogi, Kwara, Niger States and Abuja. But because she herself, like her father, does not believe in denominationalism, she refused to be identified as the Founder/G.O: though the Church made her the matron/spiritual adviser to the denomination, as part of their different ways of acknowledging her role in their existence.

Mama speaks 3 different Nigerian languages and like her father, has such an unparalleled passion for the coming Kingdom. Only eternity will reveal the volume of impact she made to the spread of the gospel in the middle belt of Nigeria.

Happy birthday, Mama Ruth O. Elton.

We love you.

Lalasticlala mynd44
https://www.brainnewspaper.com/2020/09/church-gist-celebrate-veteran-missionary-mama-ruth-elton-at-86/

2 Likes

Re: Veteran Missionary Mama Ruth Elton At 86 (photos) by Felyyaks(f): 10:16pm On Sep 08, 2020
Happy birthday may God work in your vine yard as you have worked on his.

1 Like

Re: Veteran Missionary Mama Ruth Elton At 86 (photos) by robosky02(m): 10:26pm On Sep 08, 2020
If you know her Father..... Then you'll know she's more than Worth celebrating

Pa ELTON:

Pa Elton, as he was affectionately called, left his native country, England, to come to Nigeria in March 1937, in response to a divine call to be a missionary to Ilesha. Since that time right up to his home call 50 years later, Pa Elton was always at the centre of revival, playing one key role or the other. He discipled a lot of the men who led and still lead the Pentecostal revival in Nigeria. He was part of the on-going revival at Ilesha (Spearheaded by Apostle Joseph Babalola). In the 60's he provided a platform for international evangelists like Gordon Lindsay, T.L. Osborne and others seeking to carry out evangelistic work in Nigeria.
In the 70's, he became the father of the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement that emerged in the nation's campuses; in the 80's up to his passage in Jan. 13, 1987, he concentrated on teaching prophetic truths about the Kingdom of God and the emergence of the end-time overcomer company.

Pa Elton's only child, Mama Ruth Elton following the footsteps of her parents, remains in Nigeria, as a missionary among the middle region of the nation. She’s standing on behalf of her father for the Lifetime Achievement Award at the ECU Reunion Conference 2011.
The ECU is an acronym for the Evangelical Christian Union, one of the foremost and oldest campus fellowships at the Obafemi Awolowo University in Ile-Ife, Nigeria. It is a fellowship reputed in it’s almost fifty (50) years of existence to have produced leaders in almost every sphere of human endeavor – ministry, business, education, corporate and public governance, technology, ICT etc.
Pa S. G. Elton influenced those who shaped that fellowship in her early years. He lived a few kilometers away in Ilesha from the Ile-Ife campus where the fellowship is located. And now, he is being honored even in death, because his legacy endures!
Indeed, “The memory of the just is blessed: but the name of the wicked shall rot.” (Proverbs 10:7) FAME without a NAME is LAME. It does not endure! Solomon, ancient king of Israel put it this way, “A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, loving favor rather than silver and gold.” (Proverbs 22:1)

As leaders, we must not get it wrong! Our mandate is to build an enduring legacy. And the surest way to do that is by pouring our lives in service into other men. Monuments will fall and crumble, wealth and riches will fade but he that lives on in the hearts of other men truly lives! I agree with Edwin Markham, American clergyman of the 19th Century who in effect said that nothing really is worth the making if it does not make the man.
Investing in people is a costly and risky business; in fact it’s plain hard work. But that’s where the real joy and fulfillment in leadership comes from. In the long run, no one will remember you for the number of cars you had or the kind of automobile you drove. They will care less how many countries you visited or the size of your business organization or ministry. Only your deposit in people’s lives is what will endure after all is said and done.
See, “One of the outstanding ironies of history is the utter disregard of ranks and titles in the final judgment men pass on each other,” Samuel Logan Brengle (1860 – 1939) said. “The final estimate of men shows that history cares not an iota for the rank or title a man has borne, or the office he has held, but only the quality of his deeds and the character of his mind and heart,” he concluded.

S. G. Elton had followed in the footsteps of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, Paul, the Apostle from Tarsus and many others like them who though may be dead yet their legacies live on through the lives they have touched. They are my heroes and I say, “Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end be like his!” (Numbers 23:10)

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Veteran Missionary Mama Ruth Elton At 86 (photos) by Vivian16: 10:33pm On Sep 08, 2020
I celebrate you great woman of God for the huge sacrifice you made, more grace me.

1 Like

Re: Veteran Missionary Mama Ruth Elton At 86 (photos) by Nobody: 11:21pm On Sep 08, 2020
Happy birthday mama Ruth. May God's grace continue to answer for you.
Re: Veteran Missionary Mama Ruth Elton At 86 (photos) by robosky02(m): 1:29pm On Jan 29, 2021

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? / Operation Of The Mark Of The Beast..........by Sis. Toun Praise / Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.