Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

What's Your Reading Speed? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What's Your Reading Speed? (939 Views)

How To Improve Your Reading Habit / An African Epic Adventure For Your Reading Pleasure / Visit Thoughtendom.org Writers Blog For Your Reading Inspiration. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Reading Speed? by Jack273: 12:23pm On Sep 11, 2020
The last time I calculated mine was on the 26th of May and I arrived at a very low speed of 164wpm (words per minute). The practical truth is that it takes me an hour to read 20 pages. That means that an average book of 240 pages will take me 12 hours while a book of 300 pages will take me 15 hours. Usually I spread the 15 hours of reading to 3 days, reading for 3 hours the first day and 6 hours each the next two days.

Recently I started using an app to help me increase my reading speed. I've read only one book using the app which was last two weeks. The book is "The disappearance of Emily H by Barrie Summy" with 180 pages. Normally this would have taken me 9 hours to read but with the app, I set the reading speed to 200wpm and I was able to finish it in less than 5 hours and with good comprehension.

So I have 3 questions for you, what's your current reading speed in wpm? How long does it take you to finish a novel of 300 pages? What are you doing to increase your speed?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Nobody: 2:15am On Sep 14, 2020
I seriously don't know.

I think the more interesting the faster I read.

A suspense filled, adventure, novel I can finish in a day or two

A romance novel is naturally a killer, two weeks max!

1 Like

Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Jack273: 9:50am On Sep 14, 2020
Jezking:
I seriously don't know.

I think the more interesting the faster I read.

A suspense filled, adventure, novel I can finish in a day or two

A romance novel is naturally a killer, two weeks max!

You're right, the kind of book does affect ones reading speed

1 Like

Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Phoebephoebe: 2:32pm On Oct 28, 2020
Hey Jack, you can mail the mods to have your updates revealed.

Try consistently mailing them till your issue is rectified. They'll even lift the ban too.
Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Olisavarieties: 3:52pm On Oct 28, 2020
Is not all about being fast but also better and clearer understanding.
Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Jack273: 4:46pm On Oct 28, 2020
Phoebephoebe:
Hey Jack, you can mail the mods to have your updates revealed.

Try consistently mailing them till your issue is rectified. They'll even lift the ban too.
The ban has been lifted and I've already rewritten the update although not word for word. Thanks by the way, next time I'll just do as you recommended but hopefully there won't be a next time.
Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Jack273: 4:48pm On Oct 28, 2020
Olisavarieties:
Is not all about being fast but also better and clearer understanding.
Yeah, I try to balance speed with understanding. Most times I sacrifice speed for better understanding of what I'm reading and other times the more interesting the book is, the slower I read.
Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Jack273: 5:06pm On Oct 28, 2020
Phoebephoebe

Hey I just noticed I got banned again for my last post and it was also hidden. The same one I had to rewrite.
Please how do I go about mailing the mods, it should be the diary section mods right?
Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Phoebephoebe: 5:34pm On Oct 28, 2020
Jack273:
Phoebephoebe

Hey I just noticed I got banned again for my last post and it was also hidden. The same one I had to rewrite.
Please how do I go about mailing the mods, it should be the diary section mods right?

Actually mail both the one in the diary section and the super mods in FP.
Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Jack273: 1:17am On Oct 29, 2020
Phoebephoebe:

Actually mail both the one in the diary section and the super mods in FP.
Wow it has been rectified and I only had to mail the diary section mods.
Thanks
Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Phoebephoebe: 6:09am On Oct 29, 2020
Jack273:

Wow it has been rectified and I only had to mail the diary section mods.
Thanks
Nice. You're welcome.
Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Jack273: 1:13pm On Nov 11, 2020
Queenbeee
Mail the mods on diary section to have your hidden post revealed and also lift the ban
Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 11, 2020
Jack273:
Queenbeee
Mail the mods on diary section to have your hidden post revealed and also lift the ban
I guess they banned me cos of the site I quoted. Thanks though, it was a few hours ban and it's been lifted
Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by GeezBitz(m): 11:36pm On Nov 11, 2020
Jack273:
The last time I calculated mine was on the 26th of May and I arrived at a very low speed of 164wpm (words per minute). The practical truth is that it takes me an hour to read 20 pages. That means that an average book of 240 pages will take me 12 hours while a book of 300 pages will take me 15 hours. Usually I spread the 15 hours of reading to 3 days, reading for 3 hours the first day and 6 hours each the next two days.

Recently I started using an app to help me increase my reading speed. I've read only one book using the app which was last two weeks. The book is "The disappearance of Emily H by Barrie Summy" with 180 pages. Normally this would have taken me 9 hours to read but with the app, I set the reading speed to 200wpm and I was able to finish it in less than 5 hours and with good comprehension.

So I have 3 questions for you, what's your current reading speed in wpm? How long does it take you to finish a novel of 300 pages? What are you doing to increase your speed?
please what's the name of the app you are using?
I need it too.
Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Jack273: 8:34am On Nov 12, 2020
GeezBitz:
please what's the name of the app you are using?
I need it too.
I used Floox but you can try other similar apps as it has some issues.
Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by GeezBitz(m): 8:52am On Nov 12, 2020
Jack273:

I used Floox but you can try other similar apps as it has some issues.
thanks
Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Bendent19: 1:02am On Dec 21, 2020
Hi Jack237. I started reading your diary today. How is it that we are so alike and yet so different? Haha. You seem like a much more serious version of me (if i wasn't sober all the time and took stuff more seriously). Oh and the song Somewhere Only We Know, a friend showed it to me last year. We listened to some versions of it on Youtube including Lily Allen's and Keane's. My favorite however was by Reene Dominique. It's slow and amazing, helps me sleep in the afternoos. Also check out Everybody's Changing by Keane. It's another great song. Hope you're doing great. Merry Christmas in advance!
This whole message would be pretty weird when you get it lmao.
Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Jack273: 4:35am On Dec 21, 2020
Bendent19:
Hi Jack237. I started reading your diary today. How is it that we are so alike and yet so different? Haha. You seem like a much more serious version of me (if i wasn't sober all the time and took stuff more seriously). Oh and the song Somewhere Only We Know, a friend showed it to me last year. We listened to some versions of it on Youtube including Lily Allen's and Keane's. My favorite however was by Reene Dominique. It's slow and amazing, helps me sleep in the afternoos. Also check out Everybody's Changing by Keane. It's another great song. Hope you're doing great. Merry Christmas in advance!
This whole message would be pretty weird when you get it lmao.
The message wasn't weird. What was weird was getting a mail from someone I don't know. I thought someone that knows me offline had discovered my diary since I only saw your mail and 1 new topic notification. I opened the mail only to see the default message that someone's trying to send you a message (I've only ever gotten one mail before). I came back to Nairaland to check out your moniker and see what I can find out, I still believed my diary had casted because there's a course mate that bears a name similar to yours. I didn't bother to check the one new topic. It was while going through your last posts here that I saw this one. It turns out you made a mistake while mentioning me, you wrote 237 instead of 273. That's why I did not get your mention. That would have saved me all this overthinking and panic.
It will seem that contrary to my initial believe when I started the diary, there are actually people like me in the world, we may be weird but we are not alone. I'm only serious (and very playful) in my head. I haven't heard the cover by Reene Dominique, I'll definitely check it out, along with Everybody's changing. Thanks for the recommendation, I like discovering new songs. I hope if you decide to continue reading, you will still see me as a version of you, a better version grin. I don't listen to music when I sleep though, in fact if a song I know and like start playing, I wake up and enter this very highly motivated state were I feel I can do anything. Compliment of the season in advance to you too. I don't know if I should still reply your mail again. I guess this would have to be the weirdest and longest reply.
Re: What's Your Reading Speed? by Bendent19: 7:45am On Dec 21, 2020
Jack273. No, the length of the reply isn't weird at all. What's a bit weird is me starting a message with 'No'.
My apologies for making you panic. I tried to send a DM, but it seems NL doesn't have that feature. Or do they? Maybe i'm tweaking. I haven't used all the features of this site extensively. The closest to a DM button i saw was 'send an email', so i sent the default message before thinking better of it and mentioning you on your latest thread. A mail reply wouldn't be necessary.

On sleeping to music, I was in my "new-fav-song-is-my-best-song-i'll-play-it-forever" phase at the time. I had played the song probably over 100 times in first few days of getting it, and kept it playing while taking a nap. Discovered it helps me sleep calmer because of it's tempo. It makes me happy when someone else likes a song I like.

And yes, I'll keep reading your diary, I enjoy how true and organic it feels. Why do I feel like ending this with 'yours faithfully' like letters in old high school english textbooks? Haha.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Launching Of A Mystical Fiction; A Novel Titled, "Dark Hearts." / My Destiny Not Theirs..... / I Am Sorry I Lied - Part 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.