Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? (688 Views)

Yola Bomb Blast: Photos Of Bodies Being Evacuated By Rescue Team / Egypt Calls For A Nigeria-Egypt Led Force Against ISIS In Libya / The Helicopters That Evacuated CDS Badeh’s Family From Mubi: A Lesson For All Ni (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by Donmeca(m): 3:58pm On Feb 24, 2011
Almost every other country has begun moving its citizens out of erupting Libya. Most foreign nationals are stranded including over half a million Nigerians. Our govt has not started evacuating our people and I dare to ask; are we waiting to count hundreds of Nigerian among casualties before taking decisive action towards citizen protection?

I was listening to a local radio station here and one reporter was talking about the volume of phone calls he received from desperate Nigerians begging FG to come to their aid in Libya. Pls let the due process be cut short and lives saved.
Re: Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Feb 24, 2011
4,500 Chinese escape Libya by sea; Americans stuck

Two ships braved churning seas Thursday to whisk 4,500 Chinese workers away from strife-torn Libya to the island of Crete, while rough weather further west left hundreds of Americans stranded on a ferry in Tripoli.

As tens of thousands of foreigners sought to flee the turmoil in Libya, Britain pondered whether to send in its military to evacuate oil workers stranded in remote sites by fierce fighting in the North African nation.

Those who made it out of Libya described a frightening scene — with bodies hanging from electricity poles in Libya's eastern port of Benghazi and militia trucks driving around loaded up with dead bodies. One video showed a tank apparently crushing a car with people inside.

In Crete, some passengers smiled and waved from the decks of the Greek-flagged Hellenic Spirit, which sailed from Benghazi, a city that has broken away from the control of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi. Others departing the ship needed medical attention.

"The situation was pretty bad over there , we heard lots of gunfire and saw many burned-out buildings," Pantelis Kimendiadis, a Greek oil worker employed at a plant near Benghazi, told The Associated Press moments after stepping off the ferry.

"Everyone is really tired and just glad to be out of there , We have Libyan friends and colleagues who got us out. Our lives were in their hands," he said.

Up to 15,000 Chinese are expected to arrive by ferry on Crete and fly home on chartered flights in one of China's largest foreign evacuations in recent times. China has more than 30,000 citizens in Libya working on construction and oil projects.

yahoo news
Re: Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by solihu(m): 4:27pm On Feb 24, 2011
I watched ait news hours ago which had a Nigerian panic stricken on a phone conversation live, pleading to the Nigerian government to have them evacuated. As the protesters are killing any human in black skin.

I pray the Fg acts swiftly.
Re: Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by deb(m): 4:50pm On Feb 24, 2011
Maybe we should invadeJonathan's facebook page and shout it to his blocked-head.
They are too busy trying to win election to enrich their families they don't care about their citizen.
Had it been that there is a report that Nigerians in Libya had been one way or the other registered
to vote for April election, trust GEJ would have evacuated them by now to increase his vote
Re: Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Feb 24, 2011
solihu:

I watched ait news hours ago which had a Nigerian panic stricken on a phone conversation live, pleading to the Nigerian government to have them evacuated. As the protesters are killing any human in black skin.

I pray the Fg acts swiftly.

any link to the bolded?
Re: Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by ezeagu(m): 5:19pm On Feb 24, 2011
People who evacuated Nigeria?
Re: Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by RichDad1(m): 5:21pm On Feb 24, 2011
They are still waiting for FG abi? No problem ,dem go wait tire.They better start treking now, msheww, FG my foot
Re: Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Feb 24, 2011
yes, i'd say they better start trekking if it's safe to do so.

but is it.
Re: Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by RichDad1(m): 5:25pm On Feb 24, 2011
but it's better to try than dying for free, anyways i feel for them
Re: Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by Beaf: 5:25pm On Feb 24, 2011
Even the biggest countries are having problems getting out of Libya. Its not going to be easy, especially as Nigerians are visibly black. The way I see it, we will need to send in armed squads to bring our people out.

May God punish those almajiri's and Boko Harams that took their trade to Libya and have been shooting the people in cold blood.
Re: Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Feb 24, 2011
The FEC in their meeting of yesterday has approved the bringing back of Nigerians from Libya. So, by the Grace of God, our brothers/sisters will arrive home safely.

On the other hand, I just noticed that Mr President is being vilified here as a result of the fact that the Libya evacuation is yet to take place, and I am really wondering what is this is all about since he was also vilified for bringing back Nigerians from Egypt.

Many of us are speaking from both sides of the mouth, it is a shame.
Re: Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by solihu(m): 5:36pm On Feb 24, 2011
@ tpiah
Sorry, like said earlier I watched on ait news (matters arising) on tv and I hope someone can help you with the link.

Annoyingly, the caller said had made frantic efforts to reach the Nigerian embassy and once the line goes thru' and at the men of he is stranded in Libya the line goes off!
Re: Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Feb 24, 2011
^^that's terrible.

i guess the embassy staff have no solutions to the problem.
Re: Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by Donmeca(m): 7:30pm On Feb 24, 2011
Rich Dad:

They are still waiting for FG abi? No problem ,dem go wait tire.They better start treking now, msheww, FG my foot

tpiah!:

yes, i'd say they better start trekking if it's safe to do so.

but is it.

grin grin grin Abi o. . .after all, some of them trekked to Libya in d first place. Most never even planned to settle there as it is mainly used as a transit to Europe.

But seriously, they need to be evacuated fast. I feel for our people.
Re: Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by Pharoh: 12:06am On Feb 25, 2011
They should try to do that quickly but it would very dangerous as we have been singled out as one of the mercenaries. I really pity for them but people should stop speaking from both sides of their mouth as they condemned the president when he tried to do the same in Egypt.
Re: Nigerians In Libya. . .when Will They Be Evacuated? by Donmeca(m): 3:19pm On Feb 25, 2011
I even read in the papers that our all powerful Bash Alli is trapped in dat country and is begging FG to come to his rescue.

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu’s God Complex / Are The Best Leaders In Nigeria Likely Found In The North? / Buhari/bakare Ticket: The Masses Choice (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.