Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,169 members, 7,815,076 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:53 AM

Cane Genius! Man Builds ‘basket Car’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cane Genius! Man Builds ‘basket Car’ (1280 Views)

Oshiomhole Builds 30-feet Underground Drainage System In Benin (photos) / Governor Udom Emmanuel Builds House Just 4 Months In Govt - Sahara Reporters / Patience Jonathan Builds New Mansion In Okrika (Photos) - Citypeople Magazine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cane Genius! Man Builds ‘basket Car’ by asha80(m): 3:11am On Feb 25, 2011
South-WEST Report
CANE GENIUS!
Man builds ‘basket car’
•To donate vehicle to Ladoja campaign team
From AKEEB ALARAPE, Osogbo
Friday, February 25, 2011
•Frontview of the car
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section

[b]A revolution is in the offing in the auto industry. A 40 years old cane craft artist in Ibadan, Oyo State, has just made a delivery of car, whose accessories were made of canes. Obaniyi Ojo, who said he has been in the business of cane craft for 20 years, told Daily Sun, that his motive was to prove two points about the ingenuity of the Black Race. Code-named Basket Car, Ojo said:

“I want to prove a point that it is not only the educated elite that can make positive change in the society. We, the artisans also have talents to effect a change and make positive impact in the society. “That is why I decided that I too must do something that will make people to recognize me and know me across the whole world and by extension prove to the world that African and indeed the entire Black Race have very talented people.”

A secondary school certificate holder from Oke-Bola Comprehensive High School, Ibadan, Ojo gave a background of how he came about his project and the commitment he injected into it.
“I have been having the vision for a very long time. It is my own contribution to the development of Nigeria and Africa in general. I built the car from the beginning. I first bought the chassis I approached an engineer and invited a panel beater; I told them of my plan and later showed them my diagram. I had already done the sketches and I tasked them to contribute their own ideas.[/b]

“The first set we built was not that strong and solid, which made us to condemn it. We decided to use iron materials in-between the canes as protector so as to avoid any injury in case of any unexpected happenings. “The roof was made of canes but with iron protector within to prevent the occupants from being soaked during rainy season. It took me a long time to construct the car. I spent about seven years on the car. As I was building it, I was also condemning it till I got it right.”

Speaking about the open back of the car, Ojo stated that he decided to leave it open as a statement of fashion and to suit the purpose he was targeted. He planned to donate the car for the electioneering of the former governor of Oyo State, Senator Rasidi Ladoja. “I just hope to present the car as a gift to Senator Ladoja as my own mark of appreciation of his astute leadership and prudent management of public money while in office and as a contribution to his anticipated second coming.

“I am still working on another one, which I want him to use for his campaign tours. I have been in the business of cane craft since the last 20 years and I assure you the second will be better than this.”
He called on the Federal Government to tap the job opportunities in the cane craft business to address unemployment in the country, saying it requires only six month for any intelligent person to grasp the art:
“My vision is to engage the jobless youths in the society. I wish the federal Government can establish a job centre about one or two plots where jobless youths, who always surface at political rallies, can be trained and empowered.

“After campaigns, these youths have nothing else to do but I can train them and within six months, they will be on their own. They will be able to use canes to make all kinds of chairs, table and other household.” Ojo, however lamented that the vehicle licensing office has refused to recognize his ingenuity by declining him a vehicle license for his cane car and failed to issue him the necessary particulars as required of a vehicle owner:

“I have gone to the licensing office for the necessary papers and documents for the car but they told me they have no provision for ‘Cane Vehicle’ in the law that set them up. So, anytime I am stopped by the police, I would tell them to approach the licensing office and prove my claim.”

Ask him to give the name and model of his car, he smiled: “It is Obaniyi Cane Car (OCC)’. cheesy
Ojo gave assurance of the strength of his car, saying that apart from the fact that it could conveniently convey eight passengers, he had traveled with it to and from Lagos once without any hitch.

http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/feb/25/national-25-02-2011-004.htm

Re: Cane Genius! Man Builds ‘basket Car’ by jason123: 3:15am On Feb 25, 2011
Nice one!
Re: Cane Genius! Man Builds ‘basket Car’ by fstranger3(m): 3:20am On Feb 25, 2011
Igbo Kwenu!
Re: Cane Genius! Man Builds ‘basket Car’ by Beaf: 3:36am On Feb 25, 2011
Its a great artwork. The dude should be sponsored to an exhibition.
Re: Cane Genius! Man Builds ‘basket Car’ by asha80(m): 3:44am On Feb 25, 2011
Beaf:

Its a great artwork. The dude should be sponsored to an exhibition.

cheesy
Re: Cane Genius! Man Builds ‘basket Car’ by Mobinga: 4:07am On Feb 25, 2011
angry
Re: Cane Genius! Man Builds ‘basket Car’ by Nobody: 4:11am On Feb 25, 2011
A basket car would make positive change in the community? How about a basket house? o ma se! Ppl ti suffer.  embarassed
Re: Cane Genius! Man Builds ‘basket Car’ by aljharem(m): 4:17am On Feb 25, 2011
Mobinga:

angry
tongue

(1) (Reply)

Northern Leaders Berate Ciroma, Bakare, Buhari Over Utterances / Hold On To Agreement: Imo Leaders, Traditional Rulers And Elders Tell Rochas / Eb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.