Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,200 members, 7,835,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) (11065 Views)

Heritage Bank Staff At Andy Uba's House, Demand Payment Of Debts (Photos, Video) / Nigeria: Kaduna Contractors Protest Over N1.2 Billion Debt. / National Assembly Staff Sit On The Floor During Protest Over Unpaid Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by AlexReports(m): 9:22am On Sep 18, 2020
SO SAD!!! Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts. (Photos)

Aggrieved members of Imo State Registered Contractors yesterday protested over the non-payment of over N4.2 billion owed them by the Imo State Government.

The contractors, who protested in front of Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) in Abuja, said that they were awarded contracts by the immediate past governor of Imo STATE, Rt Hon. Emeka Ihedioha to execute a number of projects such as renovation of schools, construction of new schools (primary schools and junior secondary schools) before the administration was sacked by the Supreme Court. But Senator Hope Uzodinma, who succeeded him, pleaded with the contractors to continue their projects, a development that persuaded them to borrow money from their banks to complete the projects.

Some of the placards read: "Banks and financial institutions have taken over our property", "Save our property from creditors", "Contractors are dying of starvation", Interests on loans are piling," etc.

Addressing newsmen in Abuja, the Chairman of the contractors, Honourable Williams Ejiakor, said that the contractors protested in front of UBEC, because the commission is a major stakeholder and having supervised and released its own counterpart funds, the commission should prevail on the Imo State Government to pay them.

“We renovated schools, built new schools---primary schools and junior secondary schools. We have 261 renovations and new buildings, as well as 23 boreholes and desks. The contract was awarded by the immediate past governor of Imo State, Emeka Ihedioha. We did the jobs on January 14, 2020. When the new governor, Senator Hope Uzodinma came on board, he made a nationwide broadcast on January 16, 2020, and urged us to go back to site and finish our jobs. We obliged him, only to be told in March when some of us had finished our jobs that he was not going to pay.

"The annoying part of it is that the fund for this job is domiciled in Owerri branch of Zenith Bank. Our members are suffering. We can no longer pay our bills. We lost one of our members three week ago, because she could not afford to pay her medical bills.

"So, we have come to Abuja to seek help from UBEC as a senior partner in this matter to prevail on Imo State Government to pay us our money, because a worker deserves his wages. Those jobs followed all known due processes, ” he said.

According to Ejiakor, UBEC has advised the governor to pay them, but the governor is insisting that he would not pay for contracts awarded by Emeka Ihedioha.

“The management of UBEC has advised the state government to pay us. Why he has refused to pay is what I don’t know. Most of us borrowed money from banks, and the interest is piling every day. We lost a woman three weeks ago. We are appealing to Senator Hope Uzodinma to temper justice with mercy and pay us our money. We did not commit any crime by working for the state. Government is a continuum,” the chairman noted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8yTUuLI0BE

https://nollytvafrica.com/2020/09/18/so-sad-imo-contractors-protest-over-unpaid-debts-photos-video/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by Flexherbal(m): 9:26am On Sep 18, 2020
Nigerian leaders lack the spirit of continuity.

10 Likes

Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by BigEcommerce: 9:26am On Sep 18, 2020
Now i dont understand this country anymore.

Do you have products you sell? Why not get an online ecommerce store to showcase and sell the products to your customers, fully automated. Check my signature for contact details.

2 Likes

Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by hisgrace090: 9:30am On Sep 18, 2020
In Nigeria they promise us CHANGE!

In imo state they promise us HOPE!

Both their CHANGE and HOPE are far from the expectation of Nigerians at last..

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by Nobody: 9:37am On Sep 18, 2020
Noted
Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by Finnese001: 9:38am On Sep 18, 2020
Imo is in the hands of God

2 Likes

Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by PresidentAtiku(m): 10:14am On Sep 18, 2020
What exactly is this Uzodinma doing in IMO state?

Father Mbaka, can this kind of Governor be God's will for his children? Failure doesn't represent God o

11 Likes

Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by Nobody: 11:00am On Sep 18, 2020
Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by UDUJ(m): 11:01am On Sep 18, 2020
This is very bad. Do you know majority of these contractors take bank loans to complete these projects? And at the end of the day they are not being paid and the banks are on their necks. This country matter tire me I swear undecided

2 Likes

Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by GreaterFuture1(m): 11:01am On Sep 18, 2020
Nonsense!
With this News in Mind I want to ask the General Public,
Pls how safe is it Doing Oil Company Welding Jobs in Delta State? Safety in the Financial/Paying Sense that is.
I hear they take a lot of time too before Paying workers weekly Wage, which is done as a lump sum at the end of the Contract/Work

1 Like

Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by ceeceeco: 11:03am On Sep 18, 2020
Can't these politicians get tired of stealing money? They're just there making themselves richer. Look at the wife of the governor, she's just there showing herself & living a flamboyant lifestyle. Greedy & selfish fellow. I've always preferred Ihedioha to this crook.

5 Likes

Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by Lorechino(m): 11:03am On Sep 18, 2020
Please oooo u ppl should goto supreme court

Cos na Ihedioha we voted n supreme court use there FG power to force Ben Johnson governor down our throat.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by Bobotic(m): 11:03am On Sep 18, 2020
Abuja Governor I dey greet oh shocked

10 Likes

Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by IamWonderful: 11:04am On Sep 18, 2020
The contracts was awarded by Ihedioha and Hope uzodinma refused to pay, probably the contract was on the high side or hope just want to rubbish Ihedioha project
Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by AFULA(m): 11:06am On Sep 18, 2020
okay

1 Like

Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by prophetfire: 11:07am On Sep 18, 2020
Finnese001:
Imo is in the hands of God
. They should carry their protests to Fr. Mbaka's church and call him out. He promised Imo people hope.

4 Likes

Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by zikcash(m): 11:09am On Sep 18, 2020
Lol
Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by money121(m): 11:10am On Sep 18, 2020
Ok
Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by Nobody: 11:11am On Sep 18, 2020
Rochas sad

1 Like

Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by Mozegee: 11:12am On Sep 18, 2020
I am a Catholic,and once a seminarian.it will never be well with Rev Mabaka and his prophecies. Look at the calamity he and his Apc government brought to ndi imo. Look at his Messiah Buhari ,how he is handling the affairs of this country. Who ever think this country will be better is still dreaming. Insecurity everywhere,hunger and hatred. We graduates are looking for job after Many years of leaving school. Many have lost their job,can someone tell me one thing that this government has successfully done except bringing hardship to it's citizens

6 Likes

Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by prince2pac(m): 11:12am On Sep 18, 2020
grin
Re: Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video) by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 18, 2020
Why should an Igbo man believe in Nigeria , just tell me

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Like Umahi, Will Ikpeazu Accept APC's Political Carrot? / Tinubu Orders AGF, Lokpobiri To End $1.3 Billion Oil Block Dispute / Yorubas Do You Regret Voting For Buhari??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.