Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,947 members, 7,810,622 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:15 PM

Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate (5925 Views)

Jehovah’s Witnesses Given €12,000 Fine For Incitement To Hatred Against Ex-membe / How To Get Jehovah's Witnesses To Listen / Jehovah’s Witnesses To Apparently Cease Publication Of Their Annual Yearbook … (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by rottennaija(m): 6:22am On Sep 20, 2020
Jehovah’s Witnesses to face trial for discrimination and incitement to hate

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12367646_jehovahswitnesses_jpegaadfed984493d700b403c21fe37e0345
BELGIUM
17:02 16/09/2020

The Belgian congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses attended a hearing yesterday in criminal court in response to charges of discrimination based on religious beliefs and incitement to hatred. It is the first time that the Jehovah’s Witness are being tried in a criminal court anywhere in the world.

The congregation, which is based in Kraainem, is being given several months to prepare their case; the trial begins next February. The case follows a five-year investigation by a court magistrate in Ghent in response to complaints filed by Patrick Haeck, an ex-member.

“It’s an important precedent,” Haeck told VRT. “How is it possible that a religious community can commit a crime under the guise of freedom of religion?”

Haeck was a member of the Jehovah’s Witnesses for 35 years and was an elder – someone with considerable authority within his local congregation in Ghent. When he exposed a case of sexual abuse within the congregation, he was officially shunned.

‘Shunning’

Jehovah’s Witnesses use shunning as a tactic to keep members from being disloyal to the group, he claims. “It’s worse than just being excluded,” Haeck told Het Nieuwsblad. “From the highest levels of the organisation comes the order that no one is allowed to talk to you, not even your own family. They declare that this person must be avoided because they have a mental illness that is contagious.”

Several more former Witnesses have joined the complaint, and stories have flowed out from former members who have been shunned. Cecile Temmerman was a Witness for 35 years when her son began to ask critical questions of the congregation's elders.

“I knew hundreds of people in the congregation; almost every day someone came over to visit,” she told Het Nieuwsblad. “From one day to the next, everyone turned their back on me.” She means that literally and figuratively: Witnesses physically turn away from members who are being shunned.

‘In the hands of Satan’

“At a meeting, everyone was warned that my family was in the hands of Satan,” continued Temmerman. “I had literally no one left in my life; the Witnesses make sure that you have no social contact outside the organisation – including family. Even my very best friend wouldn’t speak to me any more. I sank into a depression.”

The prosecutor in Ghent is bringing four charges again the Belgian congregation: for inciting discrimination on the basis of religious beliefs against a person and against a group, and inciting hatred or violence against a person and against a group.

While Jehovah’s Witnesses have been the target of civil court cases before, this is the first time an entire congregation has ever been charged with a crime. Haeck hopes this will set a precedent in other countries.

“Not only for Jehovah’s Witnesses but other religious organisations as well,” he said. “There is a strict separation of church and state. Now that there is more attention being paid to religious extremism, we have to ask ourselves where we draw the line, at what point the state must become involved.”

Photo ©Nicolas Maeterlinck/BELGA

Written by Lisa Bradshaw

https://www.thebulletin.be/jehovahs-witnesses-face-trial-discrimination-and-incitement-hate

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by LawLab247: 6:30am On Sep 20, 2020
Chai
Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by chiommy123(f): 6:42am On Sep 20, 2020
Truth be told every congregation have their own way of 'shuning' members that do not live according to the rules but it should be done in love to bring the person back to christ

2 Likes

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by dangermouse(m): 6:44am On Sep 20, 2020
If there was truely a sexual misdemenor which the complainant is trying to address in court, then the case should be conclusively looked into.
Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by doggedfighter(f): 6:44am On Sep 20, 2020
Those people can make your life miserable if you leave their cult. Nice one from Belgium.

2 Likes

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by ukaegbuikedia: 7:13am On Sep 20, 2020
Religion is a mess!!!!!.

The creator never created religion.
So why is human so obsessed with it
The worst of it is that, this churches has doctrines and dogmas that are derogatory to man.

God have mercy on us.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by Janosky: 10:49am On Sep 20, 2020
doggedfighter:
Those people can make your life miserable if you leave their cult. Nice one from Belgium.

You think say you get SENSE?
1 Corinthians 5:11 -13 says continue to DECEIVE yourself grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by Janosky: 11:06am On Sep 20, 2020
rottennaija:
Jehovah’s Witnesses to face trial for discrimination and incitement to hate

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12367646_jehovahswitnesses_jpegaadfed984493d700b403c21fe37e0345
BELGIUM
17:02 16/09/2020

The Belgian congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses attended a hearing yesterday in criminal court in response to charges of discrimination based on religious beliefs and incitement to hatred. It is the first time that the Jehovah’s Witness are being tried in a criminal court anywhere in the world.

The congregation, which is based in Kraainem, is being given several months to prepare their case; the trial begins next February. The case follows a five-year investigation by a court magistrate in Ghent in response to complaints filed by Patrick Haeck, an ex-member.

“It’s an important precedent,” Haeck told VRT. “How is it possible that a religious community can commit a crime under the guise of freedom of religion?”

Haeck was a member of the Jehovah’s Witnesses for 35 years and was an elder – someone with considerable authority within his local congregation in Ghent. When he exposed a case of sexual abuse within the congregation, he was officially shunned.

‘Shunning’

Jehovah’s Witnesses use shunning as a tactic to keep members from being disloyal to the group, he claims. “It’s worse than just being excluded,” Haeck told Het Nieuwsblad. “From the highest levels of the organisation comes the order that no one is allowed to talk to you, not even your own family. They declare that this person must be avoided because they have a mental illness that is contagious.”

Several more former Witnesses have joined the complaint, and stories have flowed out from former members who have been shunned. Cecile Temmerman was a Witness for 35 years when her son began to ask critical questions of the congregation's elders.

“I knew hundreds of people in the congregation; almost every day someone came over to visit,” she told Het Nieuwsblad. “From one day to the next, everyone turned their back on me.” She means that literally and figuratively: Witnesses physically turn away from members who are being shunned.

‘In the hands of Satan’

“At a meeting, everyone was warned that my family was in the hands of Satan,” continued Temmerman. “I had literally no one left in my life; the Witnesses make sure that you have no social contact outside the organisation – including family. Even my very best friend wouldn’t speak to me any more. I sank into a depression.”

The prosecutor in Ghent is bringing four charges again the Belgian congregation: for inciting discrimination on the basis of religious beliefs against a person and against a group, and inciting hatred or violence against a person and against a group.

While Jehovah’s Witnesses have been the target of civil court cases before, this is the first time an entire congregation has ever been charged with a crime. Haeck hopes this will set a precedent in other countries.

“Not only for Jehovah’s Witnesses but other religious organisations as well,” he said. “There is a strict separation of church and state. Now that there is more attention being paid to religious extremism, we have to ask ourselves where we draw the line, at what point the state must become involved.”

Photo ©Nicolas Maeterlinck/BELGA

Written by Lisa Bradshaw

https://www.thebulletin.be/jehovahs-witnesses-face-trial-discrimination-and-incitement-hate

grin grin
JWs will emerge victorious.
Those people contravene the Scriptural injunction and we're disciplined by Jehovah's Organization but they were not humble to amend their ways.

Expel the Immoral Brother
…10I was not including the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing you not to associate with anyone who claims to be a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a verbal abuser, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. 12What business of mine is it to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?…

2 Thessalonians 3:6
Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to keep away from any brother who leads an undisciplined life that is not in keeping with the tradition you received from us."

2 Thessalonians 3:6 and 1Corinthians Do not associate with unrepentant brothers who stopped serving Jehovah God. Shun them.

I challenge the OP to show us where Jesus hosted Judas Iscariot after his rebellion.

Or where Peter dined with Ananias and Saphira after their 419

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by Exmilitant(m): 2:04pm On Sep 20, 2020
Why is he dragging the organisation name in the mud? As a member for 35 long years!! he should be familiar with their method of discipline and as a former elder, he must have metted out such treatment on other defaulters.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by Notatribalist(m): 6:19pm On Sep 20, 2020
doggedfighter:
OK so your father is a cultist?Thanks for telling us.
Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by AkinwaleJJ(f): 6:37pm On Sep 20, 2020
Exmilitant:
Why is he dragging the organisation name in the mud? As a member for 35 long years!! he should be familiar with their method of discipline and as a former elder, he must have metted out such treatment on other defaulters.

Hmmmmmmmm, 35 year!
I believe any member of a group who spent 35 solid years in the group then come out should be ashamed of his delusion, because the same rules you're complaining against now must have been applied on others while you were there with the group.
So whatever makes you leave now can't be taken as fault of the group but hypocritical showoffs of a partial and dubious mindset on your part for keeping such traditions as long as 35 years until now!

1 Like

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by rottennaija(m): 12:35pm On Sep 21, 2020
AkinwaleJJ:

Hmmmmmmmm, 35 year!
I believe any member of a group who spent 35 solid years in the group then come out should be ashamed of his delusion, because the same rules you're complaining against now must have been applied on others while you were there with the group.
So whatever makes you leave now can't be taken as fault of the group but hypocritical showoffs of a partial and dubious mindset on your part for keeping such traditions as long as 35 years until now!

Isn't it also true of those who left other groups to join your own after years or decades of being there?

1 Like

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by AkinwaleJJ(f): 12:51pm On Sep 21, 2020
rottennaija:

Isn't it also true of those who left other groups to join your own after years or decades of being there?

When someone leaves a group the first thing that comes to mind is
1)what have you been doing there all these while?
2)is there any tangible thing you want in the group that kept you there so long?
Lastly have you now found a better group where things are done the way you want?
I think those who left other groups to join jws can adequately answer these questions with sound reasoning, that's why they're going out to speak confidently with their neighbours at home!
What you can find is backbiters and blackmailers taking advantage of social media to slander the group they left whereas they themselves don't even have good moral standing in their respective neighbourhood!
Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by rottennaija(m): 1:49pm On Sep 21, 2020
AkinwaleJJ:

2)is there any tangible thing you want in the group that kept you there so long?
Lastly have you now found a better group where things are done the way you want?
I think those who left other groups to join jws can adequately answer these questions with sound reasoning, that's why they're going out to speak confidently with their neighbours at home!
What you can find is backbiters and blackmailers taking advantage of social media to slander the group they left whereas they themselves don't even have good moral standing in their respective neighbourhood!

In your naive and disillusioned mindset, when someone leaves another groups to join the JWs and talks about the former groups, they had something tangible to say with sound reasoning, but if the reverse happens, they are backbiters and blackmailers. Speak of foolish doubletalk.

Such reasoning and expectations are as trashy as it get. They become backbiters and blackmailers when they talk about your group and its wicked ways but are reasonable people when they talk about their former group.

Those who left other groups to join JWs talk about their previous groups, the errors in their ways etc. The same applies to those who left JWs to join other groups or stay without joining any. It's their choice and they can speak about till as long as they want. You don't gag them.

When someone leaves a group, he has no obligated to join another association comes with freedom, don't make it as if there are only two options. That's a false dichotomy. There are always a 3rd or 4th option. All these groups you referred to where started by men and women. He can start his own for all he wants or stays, he has no obligation to anyone.

3 Likes

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by rottennaija(m): 2:01pm On Sep 21, 2020
AkinwaleJJ:

Meanwhile, who defines good moral standing? Your religious laws and policies? The bible? You?
Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by AkinwaleJJ(f): 2:24pm On Sep 21, 2020
rottennaija:

Meanwhile, who defines good moral standing? Your religious laws and policies? The bible? You?
The bolded defines good moral standing!

Jesus said "go and speak with your neighbour one on one in their homes" anyone lacking in morals can't do that!

1 Like

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by rottennaija(m): 4:42pm On Sep 21, 2020
AkinwaleJJ:

The bolded defines good moral standing!

Jesus said "go and speak with your neighbour one on one in their homes" anyone lacking in morals can't do that!

Where did he say so?
Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by AkinwaleJJ(f): 4:50pm On Sep 21, 2020
rottennaija:

Where did he say so?

Hmmm, Matt 10:11-13
Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by rottennaija(m): 5:23pm On Sep 21, 2020
AkinwaleJJ:

Hmmm, Matt 10:11-13

Why does it say in a parallel account of Lu 10:7
"Do not keep transferring from house to house."?
Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by AkinwaleJJ(f): 5:31pm On Sep 21, 2020
rottennaija:

Why does it say in a parallel account of Lu 10:7
"Do not keep transferring from house to house."?

Jesus meant once those in the area have welcome his disciples with open harms they should stop the house to house thing. For instance you and i have agreed on the same line of thought then there is no reason coming to preach to you again in your house.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by rottennaija(m): 6:25pm On Sep 21, 2020
AkinwaleJJ:

Jesus meant once those in the area have welcome his disciples with open harms they should stop the house to house thing. For instance you and i have agreed on the same line of thought then there is no reason coming to preach to you again in your house.

What you mean is, in that case, Jesus said no return visit? And that obviously isn't what you do, you keep going back to those whom you have preached to many times preaching again.
Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by AkinwaleJJ(f): 6:51pm On Sep 21, 2020
rottennaija:

What you mean is, in that case, Jesus said no return visit? And that obviously isn't what you do, you keep going back to those whom you have preached to many times preaching again.

No! The instruction is PREACH and TEACH until they're convinced in their hearts to get baptized as Jesus' disciples. That's when visiting them incessantly stops and becomes periodically. Then meeting together as fellow disciples is the next thing!

1 Like

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by rottennaija(m): 7:43pm On Sep 21, 2020
AkinwaleJJ:

No! The instruction is PREACH and TEACH until they're convinced in their hearts to get baptized as Jesus' disciples. That's when visiting them incessantly stops and becomes periodically. Then meeting together as fellow disciples is the next thing!

At the time of record of Mt 10:10-13, the instruction to preach and teach of Mt 28:18-20 did not even exist till the next 1 or 2 years. Unless you what to imposed the idea backward.

So, its either you are trying to fit the idea into this places (which contradict what you said earlier) or you simply don't know the circumstances behind those scriptures (Mt 10:10-13 and Lu 10:7), and probably taken unawares by the last part of Lu 10:7 which says "Do not keep transferring from house to house."

In anycase, why does it says in Mt 10:11
"search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until you leave" . (you can compare with Lu 10:7 the first part of it)
Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by AkinwaleJJ(f): 7:57pm On Sep 21, 2020
rottennaija:

At the time of record of Mt 10:10-13, the instruction to preach and teach of Mt 28:18-20 did not even exist till the next 1 or 2 years. Unless you what to imposed the idea backward.

So, its either you are trying to fit the idea into this places (which contradict what you said earlier) or you simply don't know the circumstances behind those scriptures (Mt 10:10-13 and Lu 10:7), and probably taken unawares by the last part of Lu 10:7 which says "Do not keep transferring from house to house."

In anycase, why does it says in Mt 10:11
"search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until you leave" . (you can compare with Lu 10:7 the first part of it)

Hmmm it's still the same thing. They're to stay with a Jewish family who welcomes them hospitably because that's what their laws taught them. Jesus asked his disciples not to carry food because God's word commanded Jews to be kind to strangers most especially those who comes to them in the name of their God.
But at Luke's account Jesus was talking about those who have accepted their preaching but now needed to learn more about the Christ.

2 Likes

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by rottennaija(m): 8:05pm On Sep 21, 2020
AkinwaleJJ:

Hmmm it's still the same thing. They're to stay with a Jewish family who welcomes them hospitably because that's what their laws taught them. Jesus asked his disciples not to carry food because God's word commanded Jews to be kind to strangers most especially those who comes to them in the name of their God.
But at Luke's account Jesus was talking about those who have accepted their preaching but now needed to learn more about the Christ.

Interesting contraption but the account is the same. Luke actually captured more details 2hil3 Mt focused on others. And an account that Jesus specifically told his disciples to teach and preach (note, teaching first before preaching) is not the same as an event that occurs properly 2 years earlier where he didn't give them such instructions.
Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by AkinwaleJJ(f): 8:11pm On Sep 21, 2020
rottennaija:

Interesting contraption but the account is the same. Luke actually captured more details 2hil3 Mt focused on others. And an account that Jesus specifically told his disciples to teach and preach (note, teaching first before preaching) is not the same as an event that occurs properly 2 years earlier where he didn't give them such instructions.

So were they asked to go and preach in their neighbourhood or not? Like that's where we digressed, a person can't go preaching if he's not of good morals!

2 Likes

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by rottennaija(m): 9:55pm On Sep 21, 2020
AkinwaleJJ:

So were they asked to go and preach in their neighbourhood or not? Like that's where we digressed, a person can't go preaching if he's not of good morals!

Yes. We did digress and it's a good thing. It's opening new frontier for exploration and I like it.
Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by AkinwaleJJ(f): 7:13am On Sep 22, 2020
rottennaija:

Yes. We did digress and it's a good thing. It's opening new frontier for exploration and I like it.
I believe the preaching in our neighbourhood is enough to help in defining moral standing cause it will be difficult if someone doesn't have it. A governor who has been in office for sometime yet has nothing to point as his achievement may clame Christian but can never go chatting neighbours!

1 Like

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by rottennaija(m): 7:46am On Sep 22, 2020
AkinwaleJJ:

I believe the preaching in our neighbourhood is enough to help in defining moral standing cause it will be difficult if someone doesn't have it. A governor who has been in office for sometime yet has nothing to point as his achievement may clame Christian but can never go chatting neighbours!

Did the disciple James, the brother of Jesus who wrote the book of James go preaching in neighbourhood?
Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by AkinwaleJJ(f): 8:17am On Sep 22, 2020
rottennaija:

Did the disciple James, the brother of Jesus who wrote the book of James go preaching in neighbourhood?
Jesus' disciples were commanded to go preach and teach in their neighbourhood, you may leave a place due to persecution but anywhere you settle people must identify you as one of the followers of the man who commissioned the house to house preaching and teaching program.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by rottennaija(m): 8:30am On Sep 22, 2020
AkinwaleJJ:

Jesus' disciples were commanded to go preach and teach in their neighbourhood, you may leave a place due to persecution but anywhere you settle people must identify you as one of the followers of the man who commissioned the house to house preaching and teaching program.

So you have no proof that he preach in neighbourhood. How the jailer whom Paul preach to? How about the Ethiopian Eunuch who Phillips preach to? How about Cornelus? Is there any one verse in the bible where they were told either by Philip or Paul or Peter that Jesus commissioned them to be preaching and teaching from house to house?
Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate by AkinwaleJJ(f): 8:44am On Sep 22, 2020
rottennaija:

So you have no proof that he preach in neighbourhood. How the jailer whom Paul preach to? How about the Ethiopian Eunuch who Phillips preach to? How about Cornelus? Is there any one verse in the bible where they were told either by Philip or Paul or Peter that Jesus commissioned them to be preaching and teaching from house to house?

Matthew 28:19-20

Please do you think this order from Jesus was given to a fraction of the Christian congregation or all members?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

When Was The Last Time You Gave Alms To The Needy? / Catholic Priests Can Now Marry And Still Remain Priests / Atheism Is A Religion (Part II)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.