Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,460 members, 7,830,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

State Public Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / State Public Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? (316 Views)

From Bank Interview Shaming To American Company Job / Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn / The Training Or The Job: Which Should I Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

State Public Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by SeedofAbraham: 7:56am On Sep 24, 2020
Good morning Nairalanders,

I've been having sleepless night recently as I've been confused in decision making due to the fact that I'm not well experienced about Job matters.

I presently got an offer at a State Public Service with GL 8 Salary Scale of 63k+ monthly (though it's poor) but with a rest assured constant Promotion every 3 years subject to success in Promotion Exercise. There's also hope that in the next 18 years, I'll get to the Directorate levels (GL 15 - 17) where the Pay Structure seems better with Jumbo rise compared to the poor salary structure of GL 7 - 14... Meaning that I'll have to endure till then before enjoyment start coming. Please note that in addition to Promotion every 3 years, this State Public Service don't owe workers salary as they pay in due time as we all know that Public Service has Job Security. Also, I hope by God's Grace that I become a Permanent Secretary if I decide to choose this path while enduring the Salary (I can switch to Federal Parastatals if the Job Offer comes up later though).

On the other hand, I'm about to get a Full time Staff offer from a Multinational Company (Headquarter is based in the US) with more than 120k Salary for a start. There's Career growth and the chance of living comfortably & enjoying life is cool compared to the State Public Service in terms of Salary. We all know that Private Organisations can decide to lay off workers at any time as there's no Job Security. Also, I don't know if Multinational Companies usually lay off only Contract Staff or they can decide to lay off Permanent Staff as well... Though, the Multinational Company have a Pension Scheme for their Staff & didn't lay off workers during this COVID-19 Pandemic as they were operating during the lockdown since they provide essential services.

I wasn't born & brought up with a Silver Spoon and I never pray to struggle in life henceforth as Poverty must die. I'm a Second Class Upper graduate with proven abilities and outstanding performance as I'm a Problem Solver.

I need the assistance of experienced Nairalanders as your advice and point of views with detailed explanations will be highly appreciated.

Cc Mr Seun
Lalasticlala
Admin
Re: State Public Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by yanabasee(m): 8:21am On Sep 24, 2020
For me I'll go for any job with job security....But I have friends that will never settle for my choice of job selection....

But you know, you have to let your luck to shine on you....and let the will of God to prevail...

Th public service job is filled with huddles such as envy and sometimes it's political motivated during selection for assistant director and the rest....You might not even survive to that extend as some people could knock you out for standing on their way...

While the private organization is based on efficiency and expertize.....

You can grow in both ways but the public service will allow you enough time to go to school and improve while skills and grow with more skills....
Re: State Public Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by JennyOfOldstones(f): 3:47pm On Sep 24, 2020
SeedofAbraham:
Good morning Nairalanders,

I've been having sleepless night recently as I've been confused in decision making due to the fact that I'm not well experienced about Job matters.

I presently got an offer at a State Public Service with GL 8 Salary Scale of 63k+ monthly (though it's poor) but with a rest assured constant Promotion every 3 years subject to success in Promotion Exercise. There's also hope that in the next 18 years, I'll get to the Directorate levels (GL 15 - 17) where the Pay Structure seems better with Jumbo rise compared to the poor salary structure of GL 7 - 14... Meaning that I'll have to endure till then before enjoyment start coming. Please note that in addition to Promotion every 3 years, this State Public Service don't owe workers salary as they pay in due time as we all know that Public Service has Job Security. Also, I hope by God's Grace that I become a Permanent Secretary if I decide to choose this path while enduring the Salary (I can switch to Federal Parastatals if the Job Offer comes up later though).

On the other hand, I'm about to get a Full time Staff offer from a Multinational Company (Headquarter is based in the US) with more than 120k Salary for a start. There's Career growth and the chance of living comfortably & enjoying life is cool compared to the State Public Service in terms of Salary. We all know that Private Organisations can decide to lay off workers at any time as there's no Job Security. Also, I don't know if Multinational Companies usually lay off only Contract Staff or they can decide to lay off Permanent Staff as well... Though, the Multinational Company have a Pension Scheme for their Staff & didn't lay off workers during this COVID-19 Pandemic as they were operating during the lockdown since they provide essential services.

I wasn't born & brought up with a Silver Spoon and I never pray to struggle in life henceforth as Poverty must die. I'm a Second Class Upper graduate with proven abilities and outstanding performance as I'm a Problem Solver.

I need the assistance of experienced Nairalanders as your advice and point of views with detailed explanations will be highly appreciated.

Cc Mr Seun
Lalasticlala
Admin
There's no point wasting all this potential on the civil service. If you want to truly advance in your career then you'd better go for the multi-national job. You'd be exposed to an environment where you'd have no option but to add value to yourself because of the kind of people you would work and interact with. The fact that you've worked for a multi-national company would open doors for you anywhere. Although a civil service job guarantees job security, you would be prone to complacency therefore you would lack the drive for self-improvement and there's no guarantee you would be get to the position of a Permanent Secretary before retirement.
Who knows, the kind of exposure you would gain and the network you would make while working for the multi-national might even get you the position of a commissioner in the future.
Re: State Public Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by JennyOfOldstones(f): 3:48pm On Sep 24, 2020
[quote author=SeedofAbraham post=94247368]Good morning Nairalanders,

Cc Mr Seun
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Building Your Dream Home/ Graphics Design At Your Best Quality / What Do You Do For A Living? Photos / Quantity Surveying Lecturers Are Demons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.