Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,832 members, 7,851,818 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:39 AM

Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi (29756 Views)

Which State In Nigeria Is Faster To Get Your Nigerian Passport / Nigeria At 60: Not The Celebration But The Work Ahead, By Dotun Adekanmbi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by emae009(m): 5:21am On Sep 25, 2020
GMBuhari:

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

sorry but brain is paining you

FG controls resources and there's still massive looting, what will happen when states control the inflow and outflow of money ? Extraordinary looting galore , yes you are right we treat everything with ethnicity and religious affiliations but then every state with their own set of looters is constant K

i think you mean to say we should fight this injustice to Nigerians in general, lynch looters because justice system has failed us , destroy their properties , attack those who are protecting them , If / when they realize we the masses are the real government, their brains will reset

but trust me , state controlling resources isn't the solution for now , Tinubu's cousins do not control NDDC , it's Niger Deltans

Tinubu is not related to Ibori or Alamesigya ( forgive the spelling) and they both looted with impunity

Because of Federal Allocation, the state government don't usually have a clear plan and strategy for good governance. In a situation where a state is not getting any support from the central government instead the state is supporting the C.G. Each government elected will look for means to manage, control and benefits from the resources at its deposal be it Human or natural. There's no where in the world where looting and corruption doesn't exist. Man in his basic form is selfish and greedy due to our inert will to dominate, it's morality (our moral compass) that set us apart. So whether the Federal Government, State Government, Local Governments even Ward government is elected there'll always be some body that wants to have what's meant for other people.
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by EagleNest(m): 5:47am On Sep 25, 2020
No place like home they say, and how you make your bed so will you lie on it.

For Nigeria, if we don't do the needful ASAP we will loss both the bed and home.

The characters quoted by the author didn't walk the talks for One Nigeria.
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by SoliBayNG: 5:51am On Sep 25, 2020
smile11s:

Why?

He's a fraud. Not the real Righteousness 89. Take a good look at the spelling
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Skinkerjnr(m): 6:47am On Sep 25, 2020
No doubt dis article is beautifully written but i don't think there is anything like one nigeria. Different traditions,culture,food,religion.etc
This country needs to be divided, everyone O. Y. O

1 Like

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by proclinician: 6:52am On Sep 25, 2020
Banmeallday:

You people so quick to analyze and reanalyze other people’s affairs, other people’s soccer leagues, other people’s politics LOL.

That Soviet Union collapsed into, yes you got it, TRIBAL HOMOGENOUS NATIONS, some of which are doing well and better than the British created Nigger Area Territories....even in soccer....

What nonsense is this one saying?
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Raalsalghul: 6:53am On Sep 25, 2020
Realboygenius:
“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.”- Carl Schurz

For folks tired of Nigeria, the 2020 Henley Passport Index, which is regarded as “the most rigorous and sophisticated measure of global access,” is another good reason to believe that Nigeria ‘is not worth it.’ According to the report, our passport, which has been ranked as the 97th most powerful in the world, is only good to visit just 46 countries visa-free or obtain visa on arrival or be issued eVisa by destination countries like Afghanistan, Suriname, Antigua and Barbuda, Micronesia, St Kitts and Nevis or even Tuvalu. Never heard of some of these countries? Well, I am not kidding.

By contrast, nationals of Japan, Singapore and South Korea, which placed first, second and third on the index can respectively access 191, 190 and 189 countries visa-free. In Africa, citizens of Seychelles at 29th position can easily enter 151 countries while South Africans can effortlessly access 101 countries by virtue of their country’s 56th placement on the index. If it is any consolation, it needs to be said that although Nigeria’s rating went down by 19 spots between 2010 and 2020, the most by any ranked country, we still fared better than Sudan (102), Somalia (105), Syria (107), Iraq (108) and Afghanistan, which came last at 109th position. Citizens of the latter two countries can only enter 28 and 26 countries respectively without a visa.

But things have not always been this way. Years back, we had reasons to be proud of our nation, even as we passed through difficult times. The bitterness of the Civil War did not keep us down, though the scars are still very much noticeable. Citizens embraced various forms of ‘austerity measures’ particularly in the 1980s and early 1990s when the profligacy of successive military and civilian governments took a heavy toll on the economic health of Nigeria. Our resilience found voice in our belief that ‘e go better’ and ‘Nigeria go survive.’ That hope was rekindled each time our sportsmen and women made Nigeria proud in global and continental sports festivals. We recognised the unifying factor of sports, which helped us to set aside our individual and collective differences. In the field of sports, we never pushed for ethnic quota equilibrium; we never queried religious affiliations and we never bothered about age and allied matters. We simply settled for excellence. And we got results, as exemplified by our winning the 1985 FIFA-Coca-Cola Under-17 World Cup; the 1996 summer Olympics football tournament as well as gold medal in the women’s long jump won by Chioma Ajunwa and, by default, the gold medal in 4 x 400m relay in the 2000 summer Olympics.

Our decline was also as swift as our rise after we began to politicise all aspects of national life. Our value system changed dramatically after citizens saw that the leadership had loosened its belt whilst urging the masses to tighten theirs. Some of our ‘small girls’ began to have ‘big gods’ and several ‘benefit Papa’ whilst the ‘smart boys’ savaged the internet, with ‘Invictus Obi’ and ‘Hushpuppi’ as poster boys. The rest invested their time in watching ‘Big Brother Naija,’ content with letting the old brigade alter the masterplan of their destiny. Where we hitherto pleaded with ‘Andrew’ not to ‘check out’, citizens quickly embraced brain drain. Doctors and other professionals left our shores in droves. Ministers lied to us that we had enough doctors to cope with medical emergencies and it took the outset of the Coronavirus pandemic to burst the bubble. But for COVID-19, only God knows how many more people would have left Nigeria. Or how much of scarce foreign exchange would have been lost to medical tourism. At the heart of these challenges is the absence of purposeful leadership.

Contrary to what many Nigerians tend to believe, our country is not difficult to govern. All that is needed is a partnership of visionary leadership and a followership that is not awed by ephemeral power. Both need to truly ‘pledge to Nigeria,’ not submit to the whims of individuals or political parties. Both need to recognise that public service is a social contract that makes a clear distinction between ‘national’ and ‘self’ interest. Much of the responsibility to enforce the contract, however, reside in us, the people, rather than in the leadership. Time and again, the leadership cartel in Nigeria have remorselessly demonstrated strong belief in the doctrine of taking from the poor to comfort the rich. By the same token, the masses who are the real repository of power need to be guided to vigorously exercise their franchise to demand good governance and accountability. ‘Ask and ye shall be given,’ the good book says.

The viewpoints of the leadership and the followership are, however, not necessarily antithetical as the late Premier of the Northern Region and Sardauna of Sokoto, Alhaji Tafawa Balewa, demonstrated when he echoed similar sentiments, saying: “I’m convinced and I want you to be convinced that the future of this vast country must depend in the main on the efforts of ourselves to help ourselves. This we cannot do if we do not work together in unity.”

In a similar vein, the late elder statesman, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, outlined a simple treatise on the route to purposeful leadership. Said he: “It is only when the minds of men have been properly and rigorously cultivated and garnished that they can be safely entrusted with public affairs with a certainty and assuredness that they will make the best of their unique opportunity and assignment.” The import is that Nigeria does not suffer a dearth of good leaders. But we need to be rid of the rancid air of the political space, which keeps good people away from public service to avoid asphyxiation.

The point in all of this is that if, as individuals, we demonstrate love for Nigeria by being a lot more alive to our civic responsibility, much of what ails Nigeria would be correctly diagnosed and treated. Just the other day, I travelled to Dubai with an Indian professional colleague to attend an all-agencies public relations conference for a blue-chip multinational company. While on the queue to clear immigration and customs, we both noticed that Nigerian travellers received extra- attention from airport officials. My friend whispered to me: “see, we’re brothers. Your passport and my passport, nobody likes them.” How true! Today, with India at number 85 and Nigeria at 97, we remain ‘brothers.’ This makes me sad. And angry. Tell me, who wouldn’t be?

But rather than put my country down, I choose to see the good in Nigeria. Just like a man deeply in love, I will rather find that one good reason to stay in a relationship even when there are hundreds of persuasive reasons to leave. I choose to side with the people who counsel others “not to forget that the first duty of every global citizen is to set right what is wrong in our country.” I love Nigeria. But I will no longer settle for leadership that promotes blind patriotism; I will not allow anyone to “piss down my back and tell me it's raining.” If, as a leader, you must earn my respect, then you must heed the paraphrased immortal words of Chief Awolowo: ‘you must be prepared to grasp the nettle, set a worthy example in probity, unselfishness and self-sacrifice and the people will follow all too readily in your footsteps.’ Makes sense.

Dotun Adekanmbi is a Lagos-based media relations practitioner.

Thrash, absolute thrash!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by 2016v2017: 7:02am On Sep 25, 2020
emae009:
When each individual state is allow to govern, manage, and control it's individual resources to the best of her ability while the Central Government protects the national territory and negotiate international relations then we'll move forward. Other than that every successive government policy will always be treated on the table of ethnicity and religious affiliation
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by 2016v2017: 7:03am On Sep 25, 2020
EyezofGod120:
This one is just wasting his time to dey write nonsense,this country don fall apart
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by 2016v2017: 7:05am On Sep 25, 2020
PureGoldh:
To be a Nigerian is a serious crime on its own
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by 2016v2017: 7:06am On Sep 25, 2020
Raalsalghul:

Thrash, absolute thrash!
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Iceman296: 7:35am On Sep 25, 2020
davidadenrele:

Sorry to burst your bubble, is Nigeria worth fighting for? pls answer don't lie ooo, are you happy being a Nigerian?? what other way do you expect Nigerians to fight for Nigeria tell me?? Ok you mean Nigerian should now begin to read 1000 ways to die and 1 billion and 1 ways to make heaven bros fear God naa, with all this hardship, poor governace, no jobs, no lights no good roads chai had it not been you said this on nairaland bros you for ask wetin happen to that guy that's granted interview saying Buhari was doing well on youtube!

These are all valid questions, and we have the opportunity to vote someone more credible during elections, people decide to vote based on different sentiments.

Until we get the right leader obviously voted by the people, we'll keep on running in circles.
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Iceman296: 7:37am On Sep 25, 2020
pacificom:

You are fooling yourself my friend. Do you expect our vulnerable citizens who does not have any right to fight those leaders who stole huge money to foreign account. Generations of Nigerians will continue to suffer until when our leaders reach the final bus of corruption.

So the people need to stand up to these political oppressors.
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Iceman296: 7:38am On Sep 25, 2020
MichaelDuf:

Not a nation.

But will still be, just time and when we stop recycling these old politicians.
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by TemmyT002(m): 7:55am On Sep 25, 2020
I used to argue against it before but now I know that division may be better.
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Neddyogu(m): 9:35am On Sep 25, 2020
ijewejones:

I can't read this epistle because of Nigerian passport

Give me another punishment grin grin

Me too
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by ijewejones: 10:25am On Sep 25, 2020
SexytorresE:
I’m telling u. I hate such

grin grin grin

Your profile pic speaks volume for me, can we go private wink?

My contact no on my profile pic if yes kiss
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by ijewejones: 10:27am On Sep 25, 2020
Neddyogu:

Me too

grin grin grin..no join my lazy vanguard ooo
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Meti99(m): 10:38am On Sep 25, 2020
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by pacificom: 11:13am On Sep 25, 2020
tunapawizzy:

Please where is the final bus. There is no final bus sir/ma. See the cycle. Sarakis father lorded over kwarans for decades, he brought in his son bukola who did same. U know Tinubus story in lagos, his wife, inlaws...I had to use my example across the 2 major parties to show they are all d same. ITS A NEVER ENDING CYCLE. See it is a critical situation and if the citizens are serious about their generations to come, they have to use every means (both lawful and unlawful). That sounds crude but sincerely that is the only way. Or how do u expect a thief lawmaker to make laws that will jail him or take away an advantage his children will have. They use money meant for the people to set up scholarship schemes and award it to their children n close relatives to get quality education abroad, those ones come back better equipped than the children of the masses, naturally ready to lead the children of the masses again. The fathers only stole for their family, dem no get liver to defend their act....now the children will tell you where was your own father when their own was hardworking. The longer this goes on, the more the privileged loses touch with reality and d lesser compassion they have on the masses. Human beings are naturally selfish but we Nigerians are on a whole different level of selfishness.

You are very right in your opinion. That reminds me of a book that I read. " think and grow rich' by napoleon hills. Nigerians must see this situations as the one that can never change at anytime in this generation. Therefore we need to be highly adaptive and learn to see beyond our nose in order to survive within our homeland .Almost one third of our citizens are in diaspora. No wise Nigerian should be waiting for our government for anything, but individual should map out their own survival strategy that will safe them and their families from poverty.

1 Like

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Aguogba(m): 11:50am On Sep 25, 2020
Iceman296:
Nigeria will still be a great nation, only when the citizens stand up and fight for their country.

Every election, we have the power to elect credible leaders who will have the future of Nigeria in mind. Not recycling old retired and greedy men who don't care about the Country.
Laye! Nigeria has never been one so it can never make any headway. The problem of Nigeria is not the ruling class. This is simply because the ruling class come from individual homes. As long as Nigerians call people their brother or sister inside Church/Mosque only to ask for their tribe or religion once they leave God's presence, we can never be truly brothers or sisters.
The most stupid thing in life is perpetuating a system that does not work.
My solution
If I am made president of Nigeria today. It will take just 3 master strokes by executive order to solve 50 percent of our problems.

1. All government and private documents both electronic and hard copy MUST be devoid of the following:
State/Local government of origin,
Ethnicity/tribe
Religion.
(Bigotry and quota system gone. Excellence will be enshrined)

2. Individuals 1 week old and younger from that day henceforth, without federal government approved birth certificates and families with more than 4 children will pay for any national services as alliens. These will include tax, school fees, healthcare costs in government hospitals, etc. (Population control)

3. Imposition of 100- 500% purchase tax for generator sets depending on output. Highest tax for heavy duty generators that are NOT used for production purposes. Another 100- 500% tax for generator usage/ pollution charges which will include production sets.
( The rich will then become serious about fixing power sector)
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by whirlwind7(m): 12:04pm On Sep 25, 2020
Iceman296:
Nigeria will still be a great nation, only when the citizens stand up and fight for their country.

Every election, we have the power to elect credible leaders who will have the future of Nigeria in mind. Not recycling old retired and greedy men who don't care about the Country.

This one doesn't even know what the problem is. Still talking about elections.
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by SexytorresE(f): 12:21pm On Sep 25, 2020
Wtf! I for talk na . Low budget idiot got me grin thanks for making me see difference
Dididrumz:

Follow the thread very well, that's not our Nairaland pastor. He's just being stupid.

Righteo(u)sness89. This is our pastor

Righteo()sness89. This one na Low budget idiot.

1 Like

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Bestbeelieve: 12:33pm On Sep 25, 2020
Does thiS entity look like they have a vision much less a direction! undecided undecided Singapore and Malaysia knew where they wanted to be in X years time and worked towards it! We dream of where we want to be in z years time and pray towards it!
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by SexytorresE(f): 1:23pm On Sep 25, 2020
Ok
ijewejones:

grin grin grin

Your profile pic speaks volume for me, can we go private wink?

My contact no on my profile pic if yes kiss
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by raphy(m): 1:39pm On Sep 25, 2020
when u succeed entering Europe wit main passport passport tear it and become an European by thunder and fire.

many ppl are doing it.naija not worth to doe for..

#staywoke
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by maasoap(m): 2:56pm On Sep 25, 2020
emae009:
When each individual state is allow to govern, manage, and control it's individual resources to the best of her ability while the Central Government protects the national territory and negotiate international relations then we'll move forward . Other than that every successive government policy will always be treated on the table of ethnicity and religious affiliation

That will make our governors to automatically detest corruption? I don't understand how resources control by the state ends corruption and mismanagement
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Cromagnon: 3:06pm On Sep 25, 2020
emae009:
When each individual state is allow to govern, manage, and control it's individual resources to the best of her ability while the Central Government protects the national territory and negotiate international relations then we'll move forward. Other than that every successive government policy will always be treated on the table of ethnicity and religious affiliation
Name the resource youte not allowed to control.
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by juman(m): 3:19pm On Sep 25, 2020
" the most by any ranked country, we still fared better than Sudan (102), Somalia (105), Syria (107), Iraq (108) and Afghanistan, which came last at 109th position. Citizens of the latter two countries can only enter 28 and 26 countries respectively without a visa."

See disgrace.
Nigeria is like Afghanistan, Somalia etc.

Nigerian generals -- oleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Oloriburuku edas.
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Neddyogu(m): 3:23pm On Sep 25, 2020
ijewejones:

grin grin grin..no join my lazy vanguard ooo

Dis one no be lazy matter, shuo!
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by emae009(m): 3:42pm On Sep 25, 2020
maasoap:

That will make our governors to automatically detest corruption? I don't understand how resources control by the state ends corruption and mismanagement

No system of government will end corruption, this will only make the State government more countable. Right now a lot of states base their plan on allocation from the FG. If that is taken away, the state government will now have to look internally to generate money which will make them think outside the box and thus bringing about progressive development. This in some way will make those people with great ideas and strategies to run for government and not just anybody with financial backing
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by emae009(m): 3:44pm On Sep 25, 2020
Cromagnon:

Name the resource youte not allowed to control.

you can do that on your own

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Rotimi Amaechi Graduates With Law Degree From Baze University (Photos) / Ooni Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Aregbesola At Osun State House(pics / Davido: No PDP Agent In Ward 007, 012 In Olode, Ife South LGA - Davido Tweets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.