Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? (793 Views)

Bandits Are Our People, Vote Leaders Who Won’t Fight Them - Sheikh Gumi / Edo 2020: Concerns In Obaseki’s Camp Over Assembly, Defections / Edo 2020: Anxiety, Suspicion In Obaseki, Ize-Iyamu’s Camps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by lilwheezy1(m): 10:42pm On Sep 25, 2020
Politics in Nigeria is very funny and the people's mindset is easy to be manipulated.

I wondered why they actually voted for him massively, is he because he is a good governor with elephant projects, or they actually thought he was being cheated out of office by Oshiomole( the Tinubu Factor ) and they decided to fight for him, I don't like Oshiomole too, I think he's too intense and wants to have a level of control over everything, but I think Obaseki actually played the victim to his people to gain their pity and support.

I think people should vote for physical projects, not emotional blackmail.

whats your thoughts?

1 Like

Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by Eriokanmi: 11:30pm On Sep 25, 2020
I thought this matter had been laid to rest already. I wonder why you're still bringing it up, OP. The reasons we voted obaseki are one million and one. There's nothing like elephant project here. They're visible to the eyes.

Just so you know, we didn't know obaseki as governor.We've known him since Oshiomhole was governor in edo. Forget all the lies Oshiomhole told about obaseki. Obaseki played a major role in Oshiomhole's winning the election twice. In fact, the latter even confirmed he was the brain behind his administration's succes. You can't expect a labour leader who's not exposed to have brought the largest ceramics company in west Africa and second largest in Africa to edo state, likewise the power plant which supples the ceramics company uninterrupted electricity, including the host communities. During the campaigns when some people were saying all sorts of things about obaseki, I was just laughing for their being emotional about party because they didn't know anything about edo state and obaseki.

2 weeks ago, lagos state governor said they just wanted to start payment of the 30k minimum wage whereas, obaseki had implemented and been paying same since February 2020 with the little resources at edo's disposal. Which civil servant would enjoy such and wouldn't want to vote obaseki?

Oshomole was owing pensioners in the state but when obaseki came, he cleared all the arrears and paid them promptly. What about the teachers whose salary were increased , got trained and their classrooms and school buildings renovated with fans good toilets and better working environment? Those were the people who voted.

The agric subvention came to mind . Those who benefited from this gesture were among those who voted. What of matket women who were relieved from street thugs and kabaka boys who were always harassing them forcing them to pay tax and same were being remited to a lagos company's account? Those were among the electrorate who voted obaseki. We don't have agbero like lagos in edo rather a structured arrangement in place for the revenue collection which gladdened the heart of edo NURTW, which also led to their endorsing obaseki openly.

What of the shop owners who were denied ownership by oshiomohle by asking them to come and pay one million naira to own a shop but obaseki cut down to 500k when he came? Those were among the people who voted.

What about the people like me and many people of like-minds, now seeing our vision for edo state being an industrial hub in near future materialising? Among other states given slots to build modular refinery, it was edo who has fulfilled the buhari-led administration vision in this regard. All things being equal, the refinery should start operation by 1st quarter of 2021.

Obaseki govt has created the needed enabling environment to make this happen by providing the land, contributed over 700m naira to the refinery project. 2 companies were invited by obaseki who pulled resources together to make this happen. They call him an MOU governor whereas, it was same MOU he spareheaded that brought ceramics company to edo in Oshomole's admin. I can go on and on and on. Road constructions and Healthcare are normal things every sane governor should provide for their people , i'd have also mentioned roads and primary health centres built, equipped, powered by solar and renovated when he first came in 2016 as governor.

Obaseki deserved more than governor. He's laid a good template for future election in Nigeria. This would be the first election to be conducted in Nigeria in which no death was recorded, where the candidates who were defeated accepted the result in good fate, the most transparent ever. Obaseki is a presidential material. We need more people like him both in the apc and pdp. He said there would be no violence and people must not take to violence for his winning sake, that he prefer to lose than shed human blood and he fulfilled his promise

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by obyrich(m): 11:33pm On Sep 25, 2020
lilwheezy1:
Politics in Nigeria is very funny and the people's mindset is easy to be manipulated.

I wondered why they actually voted for him massively, is he because he is a good governor with elephant projects, or they actually thought he was being cheated out of office by Oshiomole( the Tinubu Factor ) and they decided to fight for him, I don't like Oshiomole too, I think he's too intense and wants to have a level of control over everything, but I think Obaseki actually played the victim to his people to gain their pity and support.

whats your thoughts?
He was the better option
Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by Andrenalin: 11:48pm On Sep 25, 2020
This is long but details , excuse my topo as u read along.

The guy is working without talking that is y they call him wake and see.

I live in Benin, but I am from Delta state. I always say the only person that can change Nigeria for good is Obaseki.

The question is how? And y should I think so?

Good....

1) Obaseki match against all political rules of respecting top political gods by feeding them first before u talk of the people. Rather he drove them from his cabinet like the agberos and other tugs and other political thiefs jst to work for the people. That is y they said he is not a politician.

2) Obaseki outgrown those building of roads and light that our politicians always promised us every here, rather he includes great infrastructure like the gale gele sea port project, the power project,the refineries , the new industrial hub at Sapele road etc

3) Obaseki not only try to build new roads in Benin, but now doing it developing areas like the ogheghe road that ties Sapele road to airport road very long. Biu permanent site roads , and many streets....

4) The one I love most is this, using technology to fight crime and bring decorum to Benin to some extent. Examples are: teachers must clock in and clock out everyday which reflect in govt house to checkmate teachers defaulting; Drivers ticket is smart card not the usual tear ticket these goes directly to govt account; traffic police are their duty post with camera watch for defaulters which they will play with evidences and others.

5) Obaseki was the only governor in the whole Nigeria that didnt follow the total shutdown approach during covid-19 . Rather he brought a different approach, social distance in the bus, educating ppl with radio, relocated all markets to schs, put in covid-19 team to check compliance and others. He didnt shut d economy rather he works on other modalities that worked, of which federal govt and lagos state later adopted.

6) He brought peace to ppl of Benin either in d form building house you wont be scared of omonoile. He worked with the Oba to scrab omo-ile from Benin. They also scrabbed agbero from disturbing car owners and transporters and others.

7) Obaseki was the only governor that worked the BEDC power holding company woman from his office according to public cry because she is not performing and the ppl are suffering for light. He joined the ppl to protest , and promised to build Edo own electricity supply that can serve Edo out of pain. And guess what the project is going fine, 85%completion.

He did other things , intact for the first time I support a politician which was him. He deserved to be president that can bring the needed revolution to Nigeria. He stood for the ppl against the politicians that is the big guns in politics in Benin dont like him.

What do we need in this country? One that wont favour politicians against the ppl. The election was the ppl vs political big guns. They promised to let him know he is not a politicians, then the ppl come up that we are bigger than the politicians.

He(Obaseki) sacrificed for us now is the time to stand by him. Otherwise it would have been very easy for Obaseki to play the norms by being a politician in his first term and win the second term with ease. But rather he did the opposite. Thanks

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by lilwheezy1(m): 9:48am On Sep 27, 2020
Eriokanmi:
I thought this matter had been laid to rest already. I wonder why you're still bringing it up, OP. The reasons we voted obaseki is one million and one. There's nothing like elephant project here. They're visible to the eyes.

Just so you know, we didn't know obaseki as governor.We've known him since Oshiomhole was governor in edo. Forget all the lies Oshiomhole told about obaseki. Obaseki played a major role in Oshiomhole's winning the election twice. In fact, the latter even confirmed he was the brain behind his administration's succes. You can't expect a labour leader who's not exposed to have brought the largest ceramics company in west Africa and second largest in Africa to edo state, likewise the power plant which supples the ceramics company uninterrupted electricity, including the host communities. During the campaigns when some people were saying all sorts of things about obaseki, I was just laughing for their being emotional about party because they didn't know anything about edo state and obaseki.

2 weeks ago, lagos state governor said they just wanted to start payment of the 30k minimum wage whereas, obaseki had implemented and been playing same since February 2020 with the little resources at edo's disposal. Which civil servant would enjoy such and wouldn't want to vote obaseki?

Oshomole was owing pensioners in the state but when obaseki came, he cleared all the arrears and paid them promptly. What about the teachers whose salary were increased , got trained and their classrooms and school buildings renovated with fans good toilets and better working environment? Those were the people who voted.

The agric subvention came to mind . Those who benefited from this gesture were among those who voted. What of matket women who were relieved from street thugs and kabaka boys who were always harassing them forcing them to pay tax and same were being remited to a lagos company's account? Those were among the electrorate who voted obaseki. We don't have agbero like lagos in edo rather a structured arrangement in place for the revenue collection which gladdened the heart of edo NURTW, which also led to their endorsing obaseki openly.

What of the shop owners who were denied ownership by oshiomohle by asking them to come and pay one million naira to own a shop but obaseki cut down to 500k when he came? Those were among the people who voted.

What about the people like me and many people of like-minds, now seeing our vision for edo state being an industrial hub in near future materialising? Among other states given slots to build modular refinery, it was edo who has fulfilled the buhari-led administration vision in this regard. All things being equal, the refinery should start operation by 1st quarter of 2021.

Obaseki govt has created the needed enabling environment to make this happen by providing the land, contributed over 700m naira to the refinery project. 2 companies were invited by obaseki who pulled resources together to make this happen. They call him an MOU governor whereas, it was same MOU he spareheaded that brought ceramics company to edo in Oshomole's admin. I can go on and on and on. Road constructions and Healthcare are normal things every sane governor should provide for their people , i'd have also mentioned roads and primary health centres built, equipped, powered by solar and renovated when he first came in 2016 as governor.

Obaseki deserved more than governor. He's laid a good template for future election in Nigeria. This would be the first election to be conducted in Nigeria in which no death was recorded, where the candidates who were defeated accepted the result in good fate, the most transparent ever. Obaseki is a presidential material. We need more people like him both in the apc and pdp. He said there would be no violence and people must not take to violence for his winning sake, that he prefer to lose than shed human blood and he fulfilled his promise

Thanks for the thorough explanation

3 Likes

Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by lilwheezy1(m): 9:49am On Sep 27, 2020
Andrenalin:

I live in Benin, but I am from Delta state. I always say the only person that can change Nigeria for good is Obaseki.

Good....

1) Obaseki match against all political rules of respecting top political gods by feeding them first before u talk of the people. Rather he drove them from his cabinet like the agberos and other tugs and other political thiefs jst to work for the people. That is y they said he is not a politician.

2) Obaseki outgrown those building of roads and light that our politicians always promised us every here, rather he includes great infrastructure like the gale gele sea port project, the power project,the refineries , the new industrial hub at Sapele road etc

3) Obaseki not only try to build new roads in Benin, but now doing it developing areas like the ogheghe road that ties Sapele road to airport road very long. Biu permanent site roads , and many streets....

4) The one I love most is this, using technology to fight crime and bring decorum to Benin to some extent. Examples are: teachers must clock in and clock out everyday which reflect in govt house to checkmate teachers defaulting; Drivers ticket is smart card not the usual tear ticket these goes directly to govt account; traffic police are their duty post with camera watch for defaulters which they will play with evidences and others.

5) Obaseki was the only governor in the whole Nigeria that didnt follow the total shutdown approach during covid-19 . Rather he brought a different approach, social distance in the bus, educating ppl with radio, relocated all markets to schs, put in covid-19 team to check compliance and others. He didnt shut d economy rather he works on other modalities that worked, of which federal govt and lagos state later adopted.

6) He brought peace to ppl of Benin either in d form building house you wont be scared of omonoile. He worked with the Oba to scrab omo-ile from Benin. They also scrabbed agbero from disturbing car owners and transporters and others.

7) Obaseki was the only governor that worked the BEDC power holding company woman from his office according to public cry because she is not performing and the ppl are suffering for light. He joined the ppl to protest , and promised to build Edo own electricity supply that can serve Edo out of pain. And guess what the project is going fine, 85%completion.

He did other things , intact for the first time I support a politician which was him. He deserved to be president that can bring the needed revolution to Nigeria. He stood for the ppl against the politicians that is the big guns in politics in Benin dont like him.

What do we need in this country? One that wont favour politicians against the ppl. The election was the ppl vs political big guns. They promised to let him know he is not a politicians, then the ppl come up that we are bigger than the politicians.

He(Obaseki) sacrificed for us now is the time to stand by him. Otherwise it would have been very easy for Obaseki to play the norms by being a politician in his first term and win the second term with ease. But rather he did the opposite. Thanks

I love your points , Very Valid .

1 Like

Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by edoairways: 11:12am On Sep 27, 2020
Andrenalin:

Good....

You have said it all. Where are they building the power?
Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by Judeerons32: 12:04pm On Sep 27, 2020
Nigerians generally love to save the underdog. He played well the oppression card so the people thought they were saving a sitting governor with limitless resources against a godfather without a position.
Also Buhari has succeeded in destroying the brand APC. The people already hated Apc and the leader of Apc about 2weeks to a crucial election decided to increase petrol and electricity tariff. By those act he vaporized whatever chance was left. The man has failed his party. Forgetting people made sacrifice for him to be president twice.
Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by mp3ree: 12:46pm On Sep 27, 2020
Judeerons32:
Nigerians generally love to save the underdog. He played well the oppression card so the people thought they were saving a sitting governor with limitless resources against a godfather without a position.
Also Buhari has succeeded in destroying the brand APC. The people already hated Apc and the leader of Apc about 2weeks to a crucial election decided to increase petrol and electricity tariff. By those act he vaporized whatever chance was left. The man has failed his party. Forgetting people made sacrifice for him to be president twice.

Oga quiet

1 Like

Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by Andrenalin: 1:38pm On Sep 27, 2020
edoairways:

You have said it all. Where are they building the power?

Currently running the cable from ologbo to Benin.

When u get to by-pass in Benin you will see the huge tall electric poles that are already installed on ground .

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by NGpatriot: 1:44pm On Sep 27, 2020
Why did people vote in the man in the picture below and voted for him all over again?

It's self explanatory, people don't vote because of your competency, because of achievements or credibility, they just vote for dubious and self destructive reasons.

1 Like

Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by helinues: 1:49pm On Sep 27, 2020
Don't tell us you are still in severe pain after the election lose
Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by NGpatriot: 2:06pm On Sep 27, 2020
Andrenalin:

Good....

Superficial and non existence achievements without facts, without pictures or any credible on the ground realities.

You can not even list 5 credible achievements, just meaningless and laughable jingles about projects that doesn't exist like the seaport, rubbish about agbero and omo onile as credible achievements, vey laughable

His Covid-19 approach was stupid and reckless, Edo is the 5th highest Covid-19 state in Nigeria.

Very sad.

1 Like

Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 27, 2020
NGpatriot:

Superficial and non existence achievements without facts, without pictures or any credible on the ground realities.

You can not even list 5 credible achievements, just meaningless and laughable jingles about projects that doesn't exist like the seaport, rubbish about agbero and omo onile as credible achievements, vey laughable

His Covid-19 approach was stupid and reckless, Edo is the 5th highest Covid-19 state in Nigeria.

Very sad.

Sorry Sir! Campaign is over, take heart with your loss.
Since you are obviously smarter then the over 307k Edolites that voted for him. They couldn't have been all blind to his achievements like you online urchins (who deliberately choose never to see his achievements even when reeled out).
Nonsense! It's your likes that celebrated Bello's re-election.

2 Likes

Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by IamWonderful: 2:25pm On Sep 27, 2020
Buhari
Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by NGpatriot: 2:42pm On Sep 27, 2020
[s]
amenable:

[b]Sorry Sir! Campaign is over, [/b]take heart with your loss.
Since you are obviously smarter then the over 307k Edolites that voted for him. They couldn't have been all blind to his achievements like you online urchins (who deliberately choose never to see his achievements even when reeled out).
Nonsense! It's your likes that celebrated Bello's re-election.
[/s]

Silly nonsense, wasn't even talking to you.

Keep quiet if you have nothing sane and sensible to talk about.
Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by Chienex24(m): 2:54pm On Sep 27, 2020
NGpatriot:
[s][/s]

Normal of their kind to leave issue and start attacking the person : grin grin grin

Same way Buhari was voted in 2x, is the same way Obaseki was voted 2x...

Whether they performed or not deal with it... You lose, you lose cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by Unigrad: 4:10pm On Sep 27, 2020
lilwheezy1:

I love your points , Very Valid .
If not for vote buying APC use, they wouldn't have gotten up to 150000 votes.
Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by Yorubasareslave: 4:15pm On Sep 27, 2020
[s]
NGpatriot:

Very sad.
[/s]
This was the same he goat that supported Yahaya Bello of Kogi State. You urchins have no shame.
Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 27, 2020
NGpatriot:
[s][/s]

Lol! Let reason rein you in kid.

1 Like

Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by lilwheezy1(m): 11:01pm On Oct 06, 2020
this is a very interesting thread!
Re: Edo Election : Why Did The People Vote In Obaseki Again? by NAIJAilliterate: 11:10pm On Oct 06, 2020
lilwheezy1:

whats your thoughts?

Are you sleeping or dreaming you cannot See people in Nigeria are suffering you cannot see people in Nigeria and dying of Hunger. You cannot see people in Nigeria have no money. You cannot see poverty everywhere. All buhari and APC have done since he became president kick all the companies and Industries out of the Nigeria now the people in the country are suffering

(1) (Reply)

I Pity IPOB Youths Because I Can Bribe Their Useless Leader Anyday - Osibanjo / #EndSars:Atiku Speaks On Endsars Killings / Ipob And Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.