Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,105 members, 7,814,877 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To (45617 Views)

Ancient Greek Inscription 'Christ Born Of Mary' To Ward Off Evil Spirit Seen(Pix / Apostle Suleman Reacts To New Nigerian Passport With 'Herdsmen' Inscription / If You.Are To Spend One Day With One Bible Character, Who Would It Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by Nobody: 6:49pm On Sep 26, 2020
Professor Tom Meyer from Shasta Bible College and Graduate School in California, US, told Express.co.uk: "Balaam is probably best remembered for the Biblical account of his donkey speaking to him in a human voice to stop his insane action of cursing God’s chosen people Israel.

"Unsuccessful in his attempts to curse Israel, Balaam became synonymous with rebellion and apostate religion in later Jewish history.

"But 600 years after Balaam lived, he posthumously retained his fame and following. "In fact, he probably became more popular after he died."

In 1967, archaeologists in Jordan discovered a non-Hebrew temple that has been dated between 840 BC and 760 BC.

The temple was found at Succoth or tel Deir’alla, the first Bronze Age city excavated in Jordan. And within the temple is an intriguing inscription that mentions Balaam by name.

Professor Meyer said: "Inside the temple archaeologists discovered next to collapsed plaster walls a jigsaw puzzle of a find.

"The fragmented remains of plaster were eventually reconstructed to reveal an Aramaic inscription that once decorated the walls of the temple.

"The discovery, which turns out to be the oldest example of Aramaic literature in the world, was dedicated to none other than the 'seer of the gods, Balaam, son of Beor.'"

The inscription was painted in red and black inks on fragments of the temples plastered wall. In total, 119 pieces of the plaster have been recovered.

Part of the Aramaic inscription reads: "The misfortunes of the Book of Balaam, son of Beor. "A divine seer was he. The gods came to him at night …"

The longer text, or at least the surviving fragments of it, describe Balaam's vision of divine destruction by the gods.

Professor Meyer believes the pagan temple may have been a school of prophets that began in the tradition of Balaam’s prophecies.

In a similar way, he said, other Old Testament prophets such as Elijah and Samuel developed a following.

This theory is shared by Eliezer Segal at the University of Calgary in Canada, who wrote: "The text in question, which was probably composed around 700 BCE, was written in Aramaic (or Ammonite) on plaster slabs that might have formed part of a sanctuary or cultic monument.

"From it we learn of the existence, some six hundred years after Balaam's lifetime, of a religious movement that continued to revere Balaam as its great prophet and spiritual mentor.

The temple remained in use until about the eighth century when it was brought down by an earthquake.

Professor Meyer said: "The inscription was perhaps a way of commemorating one of Balaam’s famous (extra-Biblical) prophecies.

"In the inscription, he curses the gods who brought famine and death and also petitions the fertility gods who could restore life and order to the region.

"The Balaam inscription is one of over 100 examples wherein archaeologists have found the name of a person mentioned in the Bible on an object buried in the earth.

"Such discoveries demonstrate that the people mentioned in the Bible were historical persons, even such notorious characters as Balaam the diviner."

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1340185/Bible-archaeology-Balaam-inscription-Jordan-proof-Bible-historical

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by Pimpstar: 7:26pm On Sep 26, 2020
Baalam the historic curser must have reincarnated as the man below grin grin

164 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by kingxsamz(m): 7:38pm On Sep 26, 2020
It's not rocket science.
Certain stories/names in the bible were adapted from somewhere or events that actually happened. Same way the Spider-Man movie is based in a real location, (New York) but we can't conclude that a man who shoots spider webs and flies in the air exists.
But I don't expect much from folks who won't read the article but jump into conclusions that a donkey once talked simply because an inscription which contained a name was found.
It's only a brain dead mofo that'll believe a snake and donkey talked simply because a 2000 year old book said so.
But you'll call these same archeologists liars when they show you 'alleged' bone fossils of Dinosaurs. Who is fooling who?

119 Likes 18 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by illicit(m): 7:47pm On Sep 26, 2020
Hmmmmmm
Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by Uyi168: 7:59pm On Sep 26, 2020
This guy with his rediculous Bible stories again..
Fuuny enough, this is heading to front page.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:03pm On Sep 26, 2020
I really love that talking donkey part:

Numbers 22:27-30 (KJV)

And when the ass saw the angel of the LORD, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam's anger was kindled, and he smote the ass with a staff.
And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?
And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee.
And the ass said unto Balaam, Am not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden ever since I was thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? And he said, Nay.

That talking donkey saved that fool's ass...

Numbers 22:31-33 (KJV)

Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.
And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine ass these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because thy way is perverse before me:
And the ass saw me, and turned from me these three times: unless she had turned from me, surely now also I had slain thee, and saved her alive.

I think far less credit was being given to that talking donkey than it deserved for saving her master's life, and also being much wiser than him and many humans.

A lot of human lives would be saved if they listened more to the "voices" of animals.

God bless.

P.s. All these atheists here arguing foolishly, they could learn a thing or two from Balaam's story, because the animals are not that foolish.

79 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by Righteousness89(m): 8:07pm On Sep 26, 2020
Balaam, Balak and God's People ( Isreal)
Whom God Has Blessed ! No Man Can Curse..

It's Just the Mercy of God that Made the Donkey to open Its Mouth to Speak! If not Balaam who have been Slain by the angel..

The Same way GOD Almighty is Speaking to many of you today, asking you to Pull out From Iniquities and sins.
Many of are Stubborn, Insulting and Castigating the Preacher or may you are Expecting another Donkey to talk..

Don't wait until you Destroy your Soul!
Humble yourself, Heed the Messages and Surrender to JESUS CHRIST..

There is No more Time..

85 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by Image123(m): 8:27pm On Sep 26, 2020
kingxsamz:
It's not rocket science.
Certain stories/names in the bible were adapted from somewhere or events that actually happened. Same way the Spider-Man movie is based in a real location, (New York) but we can't conclude that a man who shoots spider webs and flies in the air exists.
But I don't expect much from folks who won't read the article but jump into conclusions that a donkey once talked simply because an inscription which contained a name was found.
It's only a brain dead mofo that'll believe a snake and donkey talked simply because a 2000 year old book said so.
But you'll call these same archeologists liars when they show you 'alleged' bone fossils of Dinosaurs. Who is fooling who?

It is just things like this that make you believe that Caesar, Aristotle and co existed. But here you are almost having an epileptic fit because a Bible name is mentioned.smh

118 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by iamyemiakins(m): 8:33pm On Sep 26, 2020
When will any Nigeria archaeological record be discovered, at least let's know where the root of Nigeria's problem generated from, to know how we would start to find the square root.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by kingxsamz(m): 8:34pm On Sep 26, 2020
Image123:

It is just things like this that make you believe that Caesar, Aristotle and co existed. But here you are almost having an epileptic fit because a Bible name is mentioned.smh

What you wrote would make sense if you can intelligently point out where in my write up that suggests that I believe in Caesar and Aristotle, And also tell me how what you wrote discredits or debunks the point I made up there in anyway.
No time for fallacies.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by CAPSLOCKED: 8:48pm On Sep 26, 2020
WE ALL KNOW THE BIBLE IS A COMPILATION OF TALES FROM VARIOUS CIVILIZATIONS.
IT'S JUST LIKE CHINUA MENTIONING ORLU AND AWKA IN HIS BOOKS, BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE AMADIOHA REAL.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by ifejobi84754: 8:52pm On Sep 26, 2020
are ALL KNOW THE BIBLE IS A compendium OF TALES FROM variety cultures.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by khia: 8:53pm On Sep 26, 2020
kingxsamz:
It's not rocket science.

True, it's more logical to believe Balaam's talking donkey was a result of schizophrenia.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by kingxsamz(m): 8:55pm On Sep 26, 2020
ifejobi84754:
are ALL KNOW THE BIBLE IS A compendium OF TALES FROM variety cultures.

This is what people don't know.
It's funny how they don't see this.
There are certain stories/descriptions in the bible which can also be found in various beliefs and culture.

5 Likes

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by MuttleyLaff: 8:56pm On Sep 26, 2020
Image123:
It is just things like this that make you believe that Caesar, Aristotle and co existed. But here you are almost having an epileptic fit because a Bible name is mentioned. smh
[img]https://s5/images/ezgif-2-bb81ab7ea10d.gif[/img]

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by CAPSLOCKED: 8:57pm On Sep 26, 2020
kingxsamz:
It's not rocket science.

WONDER WHY THESE PEOPLE KEEP PUSHING THESE SO CALLED BIBLICAL EVIDENCE TO THE WORLD WHILE TRYING TO DESTROY EVERYTHING ABOUT THE SUMERIANS. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE AGENDA. IT'S EASY TO SEE.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by khia: 9:02pm On Sep 26, 2020
khia:

True, it's more logical to believe Balaam's talking donkey was a result of schizophrenia.

1 Like

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by DANNYBELT(m): 9:29pm On Sep 26, 2020
Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by Image123(m): 11:17pm On Sep 26, 2020
kingxsamz:

What you wrote would make sense if you can intelligently point out where in my write up that suggests that I believe in Caesar and Aristotle, And also tell me how what you wrote discredits or debunks the point I made up there in anyway.
No time for fallacies.

You don't believe Caesars existed?

5 Likes

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by kingxsamz(m): 11:28pm On Sep 26, 2020
Image123:

You don't believe Caesars existed?

Lol, I don't know anything about Ceasar, whether he existed or not. And I could care less about his existence or non-existence.
But I'd like to know how this proves that a donkey and snake talked.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by Image123(m): 11:40pm On Sep 26, 2020
kingxsamz:

Lol, I don't know anything about Ceasar, whether he existed or not. And I could care less about his existence or non-existence.

Who proved or tried to prove that a donkey and snake talked? Samuel, hope you have not started smoking banned substances?
So you don't believe Caesars existed? It's a yes or no.

11 Likes

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by Nobody: 11:42pm On Sep 26, 2020
kingxsamz:

Just wow, ur name is Samuel...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by kingxsamz(m): 11:45pm On Sep 26, 2020
Macsjebs:

Just wow, ur name is Samuel...

Lol, yes o.

1 Like

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by Nobody: 11:49pm On Sep 26, 2020
kingxsamz:

Lol, yes o.
Na u suppose be Nairaland prophet o, grin cheesy cheesy, na u suppose dey do wetin Righteousness89 dey do, lol cheesy

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by kingxsamz(m): 11:51pm On Sep 26, 2020
Image123:

Who proved or tried to prove that a donkey and snake talked? Samuel, hope you have not started smoking banned substances?
So you don't believe Caesars existed? It's a yes or no.

And who is debating Ceasar's existence or in-existence with you? undecided You brought that up without addressing my point.
Besides, didn't the thread's title mention "Talking donkey"? undecided Or you as a Christian, do you want to deny and lie to yourself that you don't believe a Snake and Donkey talked like a human? (according to your bible)
I see you clearly avoided my write up and making up assumptions because you're unable to address my initial post.
And no, I don't know if a Ceasar existed because I don't know anything about Ceasar. That's like asking me if I believe a 'Mr Gabon' from China existed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by Image123(m): 11:54pm On Sep 26, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

WONDER WHY THESE PEOPLE KEEP PUSHING THESE SO CALLED BIBLICAL EVIDENCE TO THE WORLD WHILE TRYING TO DESTROY EVERYTHING ABOUT THE SUMERIANS. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE AGENDA. IT'S EASY TO SEE.

Lol, look at this inferior complexed racist. Professor Meyer is talking now, you are whining about agenda. If it was your fellow black man African, you will have us believe that everyone has shifted except the poor black man shackled in the white man religion. Keep deceiving yourself.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by kingxsamz(m): 11:54pm On Sep 26, 2020
Macsjebs:

Na u suppose be Nairaland prophet o, grin cheesy cheesy, na u suppose dey do wetin Righteousness89 dey do, lol cheesy

grin grin grin lmao.
I'm not jobless biko.
Na jobless people dey hustle first to comment on every thread, while others dey hustle daily bread.
Besides, I like the name, na fine name. Lol.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by Image123(m): 12:07am On Sep 27, 2020
kingxsamz:

And who is debating Ceasar's existence or in-existence with you? undecided You brought that up without addressing my point.
I see you clearly avoided my write up and making up assumptions because you're unable to address my initial post.
And no, I don't know if a Ceasar existed because I don't know anything about Ceasar. That's like asking me if I believe a 'Mr Gabon' from China existed.

You don't know if Caesars existed. Meaning that you don't know if there was a Roman Empire. And you are here glibly making noise about people who know better than you do. You don't know anything than to destroy.
Your post was not avoided but deliberately ignored because i have told you several times. You don't compare apples and carrots, or put birds and lions in the same class. You are asking why people question dinosaur discovery and do not question this. Did you read the OP at all?
It says that there was excavation, they found broken pieces like a jigsaw puzzle. The pieces are about 2800years old. They pieced them together. They found writings of people who at that time believed Balaam existed. This is very straight forward and documentary.
It is not finding a particle, and telling us this is Lucy the dinosaur who lived 40million years ago and flew eating it's best food eba. But it had a rival that killed it and its family out of jealousy. That is tales by moonlight. FOR children like you to be happy and clap.

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by kingxsamz(m): 12:17am On Sep 27, 2020
Image123:

You don't know if Caesars existed. Meaning that you don't know if there was a Roman Empire. And you are here glibly making noise about people who know better than you do. You don't know anything than to destroy.
Your post was not avoided but deliberately ignored because i have told you several times. You don't compare apples and carrots, or put birds and lions in the same class. You are asking why people question dinosaur discovery and do not question this. Did you read the OP at all?
It says that there was excavation, they found broken pieces like a jigsaw puzzle. The pieces are about 2800years old. They pieced them together. They found writings of people who at that time believed Balaam existed. This is very straight forward and documentary.
It is not finding a particle, and telling us this is Lucy the dinosaur who lived 40million years ago and flew eating it's best food eba. But it had a rival that killed it and its family out of jealousy. That is tales by moonlight. FOR children like you to be happy and clap.

So If I don't know anything about a Roman Empire or someone named Ceasar, that automatically makes my opinion invalid on topics which are clearly not related to Ceasar? And I'm pretty sure there's a handful of people here who don't even know anything about Ceasar.
So if I ask you "How were the heavy elements from iron to uranium made?" , and you respond with "I don't know". Does that mean you don't know anything or you don't know more than others?

And you're too blind to notice where I said it's not rocket science that certain stories in the bible are based off real people or real events. You failed to notice that I wasn't arguing the existence of some "Balaam". My comment was actually directed at those who believe that a Donkey and Snake talked and engaged in a conversation like a human, and not actually discrediting this research.
And you brought up Ceasar and Roman empire like I mentioned it or as if it had anything to do with my write up or the Op's. undecided That's what happens when you read to comment but don't read to understand.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by kingxsamz(m): 12:32am On Sep 27, 2020
Image123:
is Lucy the dinosaur who lived 40million years ago and flew eating it's best food eba. But it had a rival that killed it and its family out of jealousy. That is tales by moonlight. FOR children like you to be happy and clap.

Lol, that could be tales by moonlight, I agree. But what would you call a book which its contents are filled with talking snakes, talking donkeys, virgin mothers, rising bones, flying men, men walking on water and living in Fish for days?
You don't have a point. grin

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by Karlovich: 12:39am On Sep 27, 2020
Utter delusional nonsense

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2800-Year-Old Inscription Affirms Bible Character, Balaam Whose Donkey Talked To by DeusXmachina: 12:45am On Sep 27, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
WE ALL KNOW THE BIBLE IS A COMPILATION OF TALES FROM VARIOUS CIVILIZATIONS.
IT'S JUST LIKE CHINUA MENTIONING ORLU AND AWKA IN HIS BOOKS, BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE AMADIOHA REAL.
If you read about Babylonian, Sumerian and Mesopotamian mythologies, it is hard to take bible stories seriously.
And you can see where they came from.

23 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Father Christmas Scares A Child As She Cries & Runs Away / Pastor Adeboye Built Intensive Care Unit For Plateau Hospital (Photos) / TB Joshua's Mother, Folarin Balogun Last Hug With Her Son (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.