Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,943 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion (1309 Views)

Should I Learn Php Or Node Js ? I'm Confused. / Php Or Node Js / I Need A Senior Php Or Node.js Developer For An Urgent Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by 0luwatope(m): 9:48am On Sep 27, 2020
If you're thinking I'd come to bash PHP, wrong thread.
If you're thinking I'm here to praise Node.js as well... mier undecided Wrong thread

By default, I'm an android developer, i've built apps that has 0 downloads before, my maximum downloads was 10

But... Before you close the thread, i recently got hired by a startup, and they were serious about their P. As a matter of fact, it is a fintech company, they pushed my app to a large audience in no time and i started seeing my flaws as an android developer and as a backend engineer, meanwhile i used to think I am very good smiley

Here's an advice, DON'T cage yourself, get out of your cave and see what people are building, people at flutterwave no get 2 heads

Moving on, I used to be am a PHP hardcore and i hated javascript so much that i would swear to never write anything in JS for life. JS is the only language where anyone can literally create a framework called nairaland.js and people would start using it, Can't we all write the same thing? No! Jamiu is prolly using React, Akande is using Angular, Ayo is using Next.js, Dada is using Nuxt.js and the madness goes on and on and on.

So, as a PHP hardcore and Java expert, we don't have that much framework here(Java). It was clean and straight forward, infact, people used the normal Java than Spring (framework).

Like I said, my PHP skills made me proud, I entirely wrote the backend with PHP, and guess what, we started 3 months ago and now we have thousands of users with total transactions over 30m. My PHP backend processed 30m in transactions, sweet right? Nah, my eyes saw hell.

To be honest, PHP is not the language you'll rely on when it comes with transactions and money, that language is a crackhead one. Before Y'all criticize or question my skills, ask yourself how many people is using the localhost of yours, no offence. Building a system is the easiest, scalling is the hard part. Your localhost or website with 100 users will work fine smiley

Now to my comparism, PHP is a language that allows you put things together real quick and start! It puts food on the table as well, however, for a fintech company with lots of users, mehn, don't try it, it will prolly end up in tears. You can use PHP for your blog and projects that require not too much security and lesser transactions and use Node for heavy duty apps.

Newbies, try learn both.

Honorary mention: @dhtml6 saw him yesterday viewing a thread grin

4 Likes

Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by devbits: 10:11am On Sep 27, 2020
You are right o.. I hated php and went for NodeJS and Python for backend.. But nothing bring quick money than PHP in Nigeria.. I have switched back to take PHP Refresh er course and re-embrace my dear laravel. But m thankful for the knowledge I have in Python and JavaScript.

Don't follow hype.
Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by fnep2smooth(m): 11:06am On Sep 27, 2020
I will agree on some of your points but PHP is getting more updates like the PHP7 and it has a growing community, Facebook, Yahoo, Google and top gaint still use PHP as part of their applications.
I haven't work with fintech but I once work for a start up that wants there users to send and receive money (Dummy Money) within the site.
It was achieved with PDO which works fine with MySql as the database. Talking about handling large users , well I think that should be from the aspect of database, request, api , data structure , site structure, frontend framework etc.

PHP may not be good for financial transaction because of its security stuff, but it doesn't mean it cant be use.

According to bank history , they have been existing before the creation of PHP, their database structure has being build with .NET and Java cos that's what they started with when going into the digital world.

But PHP is the best on other areas. You can use it to build anything very very fast. Also it is very popular, you can easily find solution or debug your problems quick. Not by taking a language that when you run on into a bug you get frustrated for weeks even months to get it fix unless u working as a team.

I will advise anyone reading this, Please add PHP to your Portfolio. PHP is improving and its going to stay for a long time very long time unless 80% of the site it powered will be weap off which is impossible for the next 100 years.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by cixak95211: 1:50pm On Sep 27, 2020
Spot on at nairaland.js. How do you know song that was extremely good? Every artiste wants do to a remix or cover, right?
How do you know a language that is good? Every tom d and harry, wants to write a framework for it; they want a piece of the cake.
Thats your answer!
Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by habeylinco(m): 2:35pm On Sep 27, 2020
fnep2smooth:
I will agree on some of your points but PHP is getting more updates like the PHP7 and it has a growing community, Facebook, Yahoo, Google and top gaint still use PHP as part of their applications.
I haven't work with fintech but I once work for a start up that wants there users to send and receive money (Dummy Money) within the site.
It was achieved with PDO which works fine with MySql as the database. Talking about handling large users , well I think that should be from the aspect of database, request, api , data structure , site structure, frontend framework etc.

PHP may not be good for financial transaction because of its security stuff, but it doesn't mean it cant be use.

According to bank history , they have been existing before the creation of PHP, their database structure has being build with .NET and Java cos that's what they started with when going into the digital world.

But PHP is the best on other areas. You can use it to build anything very very fast. Also it is very popular, you can easily find solution or debug your problems quick. Not by taking a language that when you run on into a bug you get frustrated for weeks even months to get it fix unless u working as a team.

I will advise anyone reading this, Please add PHP to your Portfolio. PHP is improving and its going to stay for a long time very long time unless 80% of the site it powered will be weap off which is impossible for the next 100 years.
This is very true

1 Like 1 Share

Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by Nobody: 4:09pm On Sep 27, 2020
I used to bash PHP, and even wrote a tutorial about WordPress bashing it. But the truth is most companies/client care about products not tech its we dev that do this whole programming wars. We were taught to go for the performant platform. WordPress (PHP) brings money o, see the Theme avada author on Envato market, 1 theme with the largest amount of sales.

1 Like

Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:21pm On Sep 27, 2020
Why use PHP for a FinTech company? What happened to c# and java?

1 Like

Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:23pm On Sep 27, 2020
devbits:
You are right o.. I hated php and went for NodeJS and Python for backend.. But nothing bring quick money than PHP in Nigeria.. I have switched back to take PHP Refresh er course and re-embrace my dear laravel. But m thankful for the knowledge I have in Python and JavaScript.

Don't follow hype.
Even abroad. It's PHP. On Upwork There is over 30k jobs at any point in time that require PHP. Nodejs is just around 600. Node only has hype and all the newbies are following the hype o. I wonder where they are gonna work sha grin
Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by Donpre(m): 5:02pm On Sep 27, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Why use PHP for a FinTech company? What happened to c# and java?
why use C# and Java If not Enterprise hype?

Las las everything na hype.

There are php developers without jobs too despite the 30K Job placements
Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by Karleb(m): 5:06pm On Sep 27, 2020
It all boils down to how you handle your request and response, even Java can be written badly.

I heard www.abeg.app was written in PHP.

2 Likes

Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:09pm On Sep 27, 2020
Donpre:

why use C# and Java If not Enterprise hype?

Las las everything na hype.

There are php developers without jobs too despite the 30K Job placements
Getting a job has to do with your tenacity and not how good you are. There are PHP developers with out jobs but how many jobs have they applied to? How do their CVs and Portfolios look like? How many interviews have they attended?
Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by MrJavaS: 7:54pm On Sep 27, 2020
The smartest decision is to just learn both. I prefer node.js than PHP but mula has to be made
Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by nurain150(m): 10:50am On Sep 28, 2020
0luwatope:
If you're thinking I'd come to bash PHP, wrong thread.
If you're thinking I'm here to praise Node.js as well... mier undecided Wrong thread

By default, I'm an android developer, i've built apps that has 0 downloads before, my maximum downloads was 10

But... Before you close the thread, i recently got hired by a startup, and they were serious about their P. As a matter of fact, it is a fintech company, they pushed my app to a large audience in no time and i started seeing my flaws as an android developer and as a backend engineer, meanwhile i used to think I am very good smiley

Here's an advice, DON'T cage yourself, get out of your cave and see what people are building, people at flutterwave no get 2 heads

Moving on, I used to be am a PHP hardcore and i hated javascript so much that i would swear to never write anything in JS for life. JS is the only language where anyone can literally create a framework called nairaland.js and people would start using it, Can't we all write the same thing? No! Jamiu is prolly using React, Akande is using Angular, Ayo is using Next.js, Dada is using Nuxt.js and the madness goes on and on and on.

So, as a PHP hardcore and Java expert, we don't have that much framework here(Java). It was clean and straight forward, infact, people used the normal Java than Spring (framework).

Like I said, my PHP skills made me proud, I entirely wrote the backend with PHP, and guess what, we started 3 months ago and now we have thousands of users with total transactions over 30m. My PHP backend processed 30m in transactions, sweet right? Nah, my eyes saw hell.

To be honest, PHP is not the language you'll rely on when it comes with transactions and money, that language is a crackhead one. Before Y'all criticize or question my skills, ask yourself how many people is using the localhost of yours, no offence. Building a system is the easiest, scalling is the hard part. Your localhost or website with 100 users will work fine smiley

Now to my comparism, PHP is a language that allows you put things together real quick and start! It puts food on the table as well, however, for a fintech company with lots of users, mehn, don't try it, it will prolly end up in tears. You can use PHP for your blog and projects that require not too much security and lesser transactions and use Node for heavy duty apps.

Newbies, try learn both.

Honorary mention: @dhtml6 saw him yesterday viewing a thread grin
Php is dead since ,it too ambiguous an error prone.listen I hacked DVWA as a training practice I couldn't proccess much info bc api Nodejs.
I am building whatever nonsense now in flask.
Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by Nobody: 11:00am On Sep 28, 2020
Karleb:
It all boils down to how you handle your request and response, even Java can be written badly.

I heard www.abeg.app was written in PHP.

Do you even know how your information is stored, do not get carried away by UX ?
Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by Karleb(m): 11:16am On Sep 28, 2020
pcguru1:

Do you even know how your information is stored, do not get carried away by UX ?

My information?

If I cared about the the UX I wouldn't have said I heard it was written in PHP.
Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by Nobody: 11:29am On Sep 28, 2020
Karleb:

My information?

If I cared about the the UX I wouldn't have said I heard it was written in PHP.

Valid point, i misinterpreted your statement.
Re: PHP Or Node JS? Here's My Honest Opinion by ClintonNzedimma(m): 4:06pm On Sep 28, 2020
pcguru1:

It’s built on PHP

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

With Chatgpt And All The Layoffs, Is There Still Hope For Beginners Like Me? / My Hard Drive Is Dying. The 303 Has Struck! / Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.