Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,279 members, 7,815,474 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter (28421 Views)

IPOB: Northern Elders Rejects Special Treatment, Trial For Nnamdi Kanu / Isa Pantami Purchases 3 Houses For His 3 Wives In Abuja - Sahara Reporter Pics) / Sowore Reacts To MFM Libel Suit Against Him And Sahara Reporter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by Antoeni(m): 7:04am On Sep 28, 2020
Secretary-general of the Yoruba Council of Elders, Dr Kunle Olajide, says it is unrealistic for the Oduduwa Republic to be achieved without violence.

Olajide made the assertion while reacting to comments by Professor Banji Akintoye that the Oduduwa Republic would be created without bloodshed.

The YCE scribe said there had never been a consensus or meeting of the Yoruba nation and elders to discuss the creation of a country made up of only the Yoruba.

The medical doctor wondered what parts of present-day Nigeria would form the proposed country.

According to him, Lagos has said it is not part of Oduduwa nation, and the head monarch of Ijebu land in Ogun State said his people migrated from North Africa.

“I visited the war front almost immediately after the truce and what I saw there, I would not wish it for my enemies. As far as the Yoruba nation is concerned, I will not lead my people to commit mass suicide,” he told SaharaReporters.

“The idea that they can have a peaceful exit is more theoretical than real. There is nothing like the 107 groups,” he said, referring to claims by Akintoye that the call for self-determination for the Yoruba nation had been signed.

“There is nowhere we have sat down and had a consensus to say we want the Yoruba nation. For us, we believe that if we can have a true Federal Republic of Nigeria, in 50 years, Nigeria will be leading Africa in all parameters of human existence. In 75 years, we will be in the league of first-world countries.”

He said although the Yoruba were not happy with the imposition of the Fulani political elite, who are in the minority, breaking up the country is not the preferred outcome.

“Yoruba people are justifiably angry about the system we are running that has completely diminished the upward development of the Yoruba people and has rendered most of the youths who constitute the majority of our population jobless. Nigeria appears to have reached the beginning of the end to this unitary, centralised pseudo-federalism we are operating,” he said.

Olajide expressed optimism that other regions of the country will soon join the call for true federalism.

He said, “There is no part of Nigeria today that is happy with the Nigeria we have. Since the North Central pulled out of the Arewa Forum, you don’t have any North like we used to have before and if anyone believes there is still a Northern region, that is the most unsafe part of the country today.

"They have all the negative indices of human development in Nigeria. A time is coming, and it is coming too soon that they will be championing for restructuring.”

He said they had been mobilising to break what he described as a ‘tiny political Fulani elite’.

“We have started mobilising. We already have a relationship with the cultural groups in the South and the Middle Belt. We are going to reach out to the North-Central forum so that we can reduce this tiny Fulani elite who have gained power from the constitution and the false sense of population advantage the British gave them," he noted.

http://saharareporters.com/2020/09/28/yoruba-council-elders-rejects-agitation-oduduwa-republic

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by tamdun: 7:06am On Sep 28, 2020
Elder for their family house, they better go and sit somewhere and enjoy their retirement

165 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by Antoeni(m): 7:07am On Sep 28, 2020
The YCE scribe said there had never been a consensus or meeting of the Yoruba nation and elders to discuss the creation of a country made up of only the Yoruba.

The medical doctor wondered what parts of present-day Nigeria would form the proposed country.

According to him, Lagos has said it is not part of Oduduwa nation, and the head monarch of Ijebu land in Ogun State said his people migrated from North Africa.

“I visited the war front almost immediately after the truce and what I saw there, I would not wish it for my enemies. As far as the Yoruba nation is concerned, I will not lead my people to commit mass suicide,” he told SaharaReporters.

“The idea that they can have a peaceful exit is more theoretical than real. There is nothing like the 107 groups,” he said, referring to claims by Akintoye that the call for self-determination for the Yoruba nation had been signed.

“There is nowhere we have sat down and had a consensus to say we want the Yoruba nation. For us, we believe that if we can have a true Federal Republic of Nigeria, in 50 years, Nigeria will be leading Africa in all parameters of human existence. In 75 years, we will be in the league of first-world countries.”

He said although the Yoruba were not happy with the imposition of the Fulani political elite, who are in the minority, breaking up the country is not the preferred outcome.

“Yoruba people are justifiably angry about the system we are running that has completely diminished the upward development of the Yoruba people and has rendered most of the youths who constitute the majority of our population jobless. Nigeria appears to have reached the beginning of the end to this unitary, centralised pseudo-federalism we are operating,” he said.

Olajide expressed optimism that other regions of the country will soon join the call for true federalism.

He said, “There is no part of Nigeria today that is happy with the Nigeria we have. Since the North Central pulled out of the Arewa Forum, you don’t have any North like we used to have before and if anyone believes there is still a Northern region, that is the most unsafe part of the country today.

"They have all the negative indices of human development in Nigeria. A time is coming, and it is coming too soon that they will be championing for restructuring.”

He said they had been mobilising to break what he described as a ‘tiny political Fulani elite’.

“We have started mobilising. We already have a relationship with the cultural groups in the South and the Middle Belt. We are going to reach out to the North-Central forum so that we can reduce this tiny Fulani elite who have gained power from the constitution and the false sense of population advantage the British gave them," he noted.

13 Likes

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by Guestlander: 7:20am On Sep 28, 2020
Antoeni:
Bullion Van Council of Elders "BVCOE"

Counterfeit Jew. If you don't have anything good to say why don't you just face your shit eating business?

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by Nobody: 7:20am On Sep 28, 2020
Afonja: How do you negotiate a good deal when you take your ultimate weapon off the table? IDIOTS.

Professor Banji Akintoye is the authentic Yoruba leader. Where he goes, we go.

115 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by Eriokanmi: 7:21am On Sep 28, 2020
YCE fed by Jagaban. nobody should expect them to have said otherwise.

76 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by Antoeni(m): 7:21am On Sep 28, 2020
Guestlander:

Counterfeit Jew.

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by Nobody: 7:22am On Sep 28, 2020
Guestlander:

Counterfeit Jew.
Hahahahahahahaha, which one is counterfeit Jew hehehehehehe

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by obami007(m): 7:25am On Sep 28, 2020
All this elder sef

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by Openbusiness: 7:26am On Sep 28, 2020
Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by ZZ22: 7:36am On Sep 28, 2020
You look at the fiscal health of SW states, the mess they have put themselves into and think they really want out of Nigeria? think again because the contraption is covering their wasteful and incompetent asses.

38 Likes

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by NofiuFade(m): 7:45am On Sep 28, 2020
It obvious, why would they not reject it a race that don't love themselves, a race that's so divided to any extend, talking from experience as a Yoruba man I have found myself in different foreign places that I always find comfort and security in other tribes of Nigeria than my yoruba s brothers and sister, let keep deceiving ourselves, the small group calling for separation is it on the interest of yoruba nation at large or just for their self political gain ,it is well.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by kayusely70(m): 7:50am On Sep 28, 2020
We Know Them And Their Antecedents. They Are Highly Irrelevant And Ineffective!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by awgumayor: 7:53am On Sep 28, 2020
Deep down in their hearts they know that Nigeria is not working, but for political reasons and being that they are part of the problems that clouded Nigeria today they can't come openly to support any movement. Ohaneze went as far as proscribing Ipob, yet it doesn't change the fact that the youths know what they want. If the agitation is getting more serious they don't have a choice than to give way for the you the youths to steer their future.

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by Marine54(m): 7:58am On Sep 28, 2020
ZZ22:
You look at the fiscal health of SW states, the mess they have put themselves into and think they really want out of Nigeria? think again because the contraption is covering their wasteful and incompetent asses.
Obviously, south West can't survive out side Nigeria.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by loveth360(f): 7:59am On Sep 28, 2020
What do you expect from people that can't rule themselves.

Give them Odudufraud and see them start fighting and killing themselves like they always before the almagamation of Nigeria.
The main reason they fight anything biafra.

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by ifejobi84754: 8:00am On Sep 28, 2020
father for their relatives bedroom, they better go and sit somewhere and enjoy their retire

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by NofiuFade(m): 8:04am On Sep 28, 2020
Marine54:
who tell you that Southwest will survive very well outside Nigeria! But anything that's so divided cannot stand grin

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by tollyboy5(m): 8:08am On Sep 28, 2020
Marine54:
f
obami007:
All this elder sef

Elder of his family not Yoruba nation. Since he said ijebu are from north Africa then he should not see himself as elder to ijebus. We are kind of different from the native ile ife decendants

12 Likes

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by tollyboy5(m): 8:15am On Sep 28, 2020
Antoeni:
The YCE scribe said there had never been a consensus or . and the false sense of population advantage the British gave them," he noted.

This one don't know what he is saying. He knows nothing about Yoruba history. What is ijebu and Lagos?
Ijebu are immigrant from the Nile of Egypt and during their war with the British epe and ikorodu was cut out of the ijebu kingdom.
Itshekiri of delta state are part of the ijebu earlier migrant.
Aworis are from ile ife. Even the ijebus are tired of the country and they form sizable part of Lagos and Ogun state

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by selemempe: 8:23am On Sep 28, 2020
Yoruba people really are a paradox. A people who have vehemently rejected self determination and yet always tell other Nigerians to 'leave their region'
How can that be? What exactly does the yorubas want

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by Vyzz: 8:37am On Sep 28, 2020
cool
Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by limeta(f): 9:09am On Sep 28, 2020
“I visited the war front almost immediately after the truce and what I saw there, I would not wish it for my enemies. As far as the Yoruba nation is concerned, I will not lead my people to commit mass suicide,”

You are not a leader you can not lead anybody
Spineless cunt.
You can only submit to slavery

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by Simisola92(f): 9:31am On Sep 28, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by ModestGal(f): 9:31am On Sep 28, 2020
I expect nothing good from a generation that destroyed my generation.
They are the generation that enjoyed the good Nigeria, they got job after university, not being told to go and learn TAILORING or MAKE-UP after Masters degree, they had the oppourtunity to venture into business if they don't want to work with the government, all they need to do is resign after saving some amounts of money from the job, at INTERNATIONAL FORUMS, they are proud to be called a Nigerian, because of the likes of RASHIDI YEKINI and other Sport Celebrity of the time that had talents and was able to play for their country without an idiot with no talent taking their position due to corruption. Check the sport sector, you will understand why we may never win any world game again due to the corruption of those incharge of sport, and treating sport players with injustice.

Or how will someone who drank Garrison and borrowed money to finish University have money to start business? Or how will he see laptop to learn computer skills?

They are the generation that instilled useless teachings that would never make us rich on the new generation.
They are the Tribalistic bigots, religious bigots, they worshipped anything white. Their life is filled with superstitious beliefs, using prayers in awkward ways.

Does it make sense to be selling Road safety form at #1miilion naira, and putting prices on federal Government Job?All these useless elders watch this happen and there is even a respected elder that Federal Government do give two slots, and he sells it for 2.5millionaira to an Hausa man who will go give it to his people for free for reelection.

This so called elders generation has done absolutely NOTHING for the good of my generation, so I do not expect anything of Value from them.

As far as Nigeria is concerned, as at this point, I really do not know the point of keeping it, every Nigerian is unhappy except those benefiting from the corruption. Nigerians are not proud to be called Nigerians, an average Nigerian curse the country and expect the worse from all corners.
So what's the point of keeping Nigeria as one?

The people do not see themselves as one and are not ever ready to see themselves as one, so what's the point of forcing the people for over 60years and yet, they do not want to become one?

What's the point of practising different laws in the South and North, but yet you want to call them a single country

What's the point of forcing people who hate themselves as one?

Well, as far as I'm concerned, there's no benefit an average Nigerian feels about being a Nigerian, so what's the point of still wanting to be a Nigerian?

The OLD generation have done nothing to better the NIGERIA they want so much, and everything is in a catastrophic state because of them and yet, they still want to keep it as Nigeria? No, it doesn't work that way.

We all need to be sincere with ourselves, what is the joy as a Nigerian that we would love to continue to keep?

I will always support one Nigeria when the Youths are happy being a Nigerian, not when an average youth is wishing and praying to travel out even if it is to Ghana, they just want to leave, but if not, I do not see the point

As at this point I'm almost not caring anymore, because truth is, I'm not proud to be called a Nigerian, because Nigeria is synonymous to Fraud, Killings, and Poverty.

So let's do it this way, support One Nigeria, if you are happy as a Nigerian.

Modified
Ordinary online job, it takes Nigerian on fiver to use another country identity, lol. Thats how Nigeria has reduced to Nothing. Nigerians now hide under Lesotho before they could use PayPal, a country that was no where near Nigeria.
Is that not enough shame?

Internationally the country has reduced to Nothing
Locally, it has reduced to Nothing, a country where big boobs and butts pays more than a Masters degree, where PhD students studying Mechanical engineering need to learn how to sell fish online, and being told to go and learn a skill.

If I continue to write, this whole thread would full, my advice for the Youths is that they better take their lives back from these thief's, because give all these elders 30years more and they are likely to be dead and we and our unborn generation would continue to suffer.

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by PureGoldh(m): 9:31am On Sep 28, 2020
The kinda news wey dey pop up on a daily eeh
Re: Yoruba Council Of Elders Rejects Agitation For Oduduwa Republic| Sahara Reporter by GeneralPula: 9:31am On Sep 28, 2020
Mtchew..

Naijaz diversification is a blessing..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Seriake Dickson’s Campaign Tour In Yenagoa (photos) / El-Rufai Bends Down To Greet Abdulsalami Abubakar In Zaria (Photos) / Ondo SSG, Ifedayo Abegunde, Resigns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.