Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,900 members, 7,828,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

LPG Conversion..... Possible Issues - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / LPG Conversion..... Possible Issues (1585 Views)

My Peugeot 406 V6 Conversion Project To Performance Brakes / My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project / 2013 Kia Rio Engine Swap/conversion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

LPG Conversion..... Possible Issues by oNj(m): 6:04pm On Sep 28, 2020
I've been excited about converting my Camry to LPG.

My excitement soon waned when I went researching possible problems with LPG conversion.

Not to sound like an alarmist, but here are my findings:

1. You lose about 20 - 25 percent of engine performance. Ok fine, I can deal.

2. Valve Seat Recession: this refers to excessive/accelerated wear of the valve seats that comes from running on LPG. Though all valve seats wear with usage, no matter your fuel type, LPG accelerates the process since "vapourised gas has no lubricating and cooling effects". (www.amrautos.co.uk/index.php/lpg-systems for full article on this).

A way around this is to install "flashlube" on the engine to provide lubrication.
Well, this not only raises the running costs of LPG conversion as against it's main attraction -- economy, it's use in cars that are prone to valve wear often do not prevent this excess wear valve seat wears.

While not all cars suffer this LPG-induced excessive valve seats wear, the list is quite long. (Ref: www.amrautos.co.uk/database_problem_cars.pdf).

My car falls in the list above (Toyota, all models from 1998 is in the list) embarassed

I can't deal. cry

Divergent opinions are welcome on the viability of LPG conversion
Re: LPG Conversion..... Possible Issues by weyreypey: 7:56pm On Sep 28, 2020
oNj:

My excitement soon waned when I went researching possible problems with LPG conversion.

2. Valve Seat Recession: this refers to excessive/accelerated wear of the valve seats that comes from running on LPG. Though all valve seats wear with usage, no matter your fuel type, LPG accelerates the process since "vapourised gas has no lubricating and cooling effects". (www.amrautos.co.uk/index.php/lpg-systems for full article on this).

A way around this is to install "flashlube" on the engine to provide lubrication.
Well, this not only raises the running costs of LPG conversion as against it's main attraction -- economy, it's use in cars that are prone to valve wear often do not prevent this excess wear valve seat wears.

While not all cars suffer this LPG-induced excessive valve seats wear, the list is quite long. (Ref: www.amrautos.co.uk/database_problem_cars.pdf).

My car falls in the list above (Toyota, all models from 1998 is in the list) embarassed

I can't deal. cry

Check out the difference between LPG and CNG
Re: LPG Conversion..... Possible Issues by AutoElectNG: 8:10pm On Sep 28, 2020
oNj:

I can't deal. cry

Serious research up there.

Well done brother!
Re: LPG Conversion..... Possible Issues by searchng4love: 3:57am On Sep 29, 2020
Not enough research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz2XaaZ4XuQ

Toyota Camry Hybrid CNG.

1 Like

Re: LPG Conversion..... Possible Issues by oNj(m): 8:19am On Sep 29, 2020
searchng4love:
Not enough research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz2XaaZ4XuQ

Toyota Camry Hybrid CNG.

Point is not whether any (petrol) car can be converted to LPG or not; the effect on the engine is the issue.
Re: LPG Conversion..... Possible Issues by searchng4love: 8:43am On Sep 29, 2020
oNj:

Point is not whether any (petrol) car can be converted to LPG or not; the effect on the engine is the issue.

All engines wear and tear even with petrol... your point?
Re: LPG Conversion..... Possible Issues by fineboynl(m): 3:17pm On Jul 03, 2023
Bad fuel can will also shorting the life of engine.

(1) (Reply)

Alloy Wheels Vs. Steel Wheels Pros & Cons Guide / Between 2016 Accord And 2012/13 Venza / I Want A Reliable German

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.