Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,300 members, 7,815,541 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? (3218 Views)

Summary Of Cases Handled By CCT - Till Date / 10 African Countries With The Highest Military Strength And Fire Power / How Would OBJ Have Handled Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Mar 02, 2011
Should African disputes and conflicts be handled by African countries themselves, rather than by international organisations?

I have been recently having a debate with some friends, and I just wanted to know different views on the matter.

Give reason(s).
Re: Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by SkyBlue1: 4:30pm On Mar 02, 2011
Depends. For the most part I would say yes, let countries handle their issues themselves because I believe in respecting sovereignty. When the mass population is under threath by their leaders then I think indirect intervention might be justified. On the other hand, Africa is not Europe and most countries in sub Saharan Africa are simply colonial constructs. I believe such issue needs to be taken into consideration because as a result of how such nations came to be, ideals such as unity and nationhood are not inherent, as a result it is sometimes difficult to get a unified or clear voice or even a consensus from such a populace as to what they actually want. As a result I believe in the pan africanist ideal but only to a certain degree. I am all for a stronger ECOWAS but don't care much for the AU and believe in African bodies like ECOWAS disciplining governments of member states when the situation calls for it (e.g Ivory Coast) as a means of settling disputes. West Africans are different from East or South Africans.
Re: Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:11pm On Jul 04, 2013
Sky Blue: Depends. For the most part I would say yes, let countries handle their issues themselves because I believe in respecting sovereignty. When the mass population is under threath by their leaders then I think indirect intervention might be justified. On the other hand, Africa is not Europe and most countries in sub Saharan Africa are simply colonial constructs. I believe such issue needs to be taken into consideration because as a result of how such nations came to be, ideals such as unity and nationhood are not inherent, as a result it is sometimes difficult to get a unified or clear voice or even a consensus from such a populace as to what they actually want. As a result I believe in the pan africanist ideal but only to a certain degree. I am all for a stronger ECOWAS but don't care much for the AU and believe in African bodies like ECOWAS disciplining governments of member states when the situation calls for it (e.g Ivory Coast) as a means of settling disputes. West Africans are different from East or South Africans.

The Past 4 decades show-casing the deadly reign of genocides on Africans (By Africans) and the clearly impotent role of the African Union shows that we need external assistance..
Re: Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by andrewza: 5:24pm On Jul 04, 2013
Yes, though get foreign help to achieve this should not be turned down the effort should be led by africans
Re: Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 04, 2013
As it stands, African nations need the helps of global bodies such as European Union (EU) and United Nations (UN) to

resolved conflicts. Most African nations do not have the funds or resource, to fight and suppress violent rebels and

insurgents that are well armed and well funded. Moreover, if you look back at the history of Africa, you will see that

manner issues and disagreements tends to lead to genocide. Africa is not capable of handling it's own disputes and

conflicts because of poverty, illiteracy, unreliable government, corruption, bad infrastructure, and lack of innovation

and technology.
Re: Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by andrewza: 5:44pm On Jul 04, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
As it stands, African nations need the helps of global bodies such as European Union (EU) and United Nations (UN) to

resolved conflicts. Most African nations do not have the funds or resource, to fight and suppress violent rebels and

insurgents that are well armed and well funded. Moreover, if you look back at the history of Africa, you will see that

manner issues and disagreements tends to lead to genocide. Africa is not capable of handling it's own disputes and

conflicts because of poverty, illiteracy, unreliable government, corruption, bad infrastructure, and lack of innovation

and technology.

And sometimes outside bodies will hinder or even aid in rebellions.

2 cases are open to us.

ONE CAR. In CAR france controlled the airport and prevented SA from flying in reinforcements, it claimed that it would make the airport a target for the rebels. There is strong evidence that Chad a strong ally of france aided the rebels. If there were no french interference SA could have flown in there battalion to CAR instead of uganda.

Malil, the rebellion only occurred because of the fall in libya flooded the are with lots of military grade tech and weapons, libya only fell because NATO over step their mandate of implementing a no fly zone and insteaded provided rebels with close air support. Thus NATO caused malil.
Re: Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jul 04, 2013
andrewza:

And sometimes outside bodies will hinder or even aid in rebellions.

2 cases are open to us.

ONE CAR. In CAR france controlled the airport and prevented SA from flying in reinforcements, it claimed that it would make the airport a target for the rebels. There is strong evidence that Chad a strong ally of france aided the rebels. If there were no french interference SA could have flown in there battalion to CAR instead of uganda.

Malil, the rebellion only occurred because of the fall in libya flooded the are with lots of military grade tech and weapons, libya only fell because NATO over step their mandate of implementing a no fly zone and insteaded provided rebels with close air support. Thus NATO caused malil.

Sorry but these are not strong cases to prove your point....you can actually count these cases as mistakes.....and

secondly you havent proved that African nations can handled conflicts on their own...
Re: Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by andrewza: 6:07pm On Jul 04, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

Sorry but these are not strong cases to prove your point....you can actually count these cases as mistakes.....and

secondly you havent proved that African nations can handled conflicts on their own...

How is france refusing SA sending in forces a mistake? That is dilbret

Has i said getting outside support is not a problem but wherever possible Africans must take the lead.

What about the SADC intervention brigade in eastern DRC, a african led endeavour to help in the DRC
Re: Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 04, 2013
^^^^I touched on two key points...resources and funds....its one thing to send military to fight rebels..but its another

to be able to continue fighting and suppressing them...and after the war....they will need funds to rebuild the

nation.....Now given the amount of continuous conflict in Africa...don't you think that African nations would deplete their

funds if the EU OR UN don't help them?
Re: Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by andrewza: 6:28pm On Jul 04, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
^^^^I touched on two key points...resources and funds....its one thing to send military to fight rebels..but its another

to be able to continue fighting and suppressing them...and after the war....they will need funds to rebuild the

nation.....Now given the amount of continuous conflict in Africa...don't you think that African nations would deplete their

funds if the EU OR UN don't help them?

Has i said we should not turn down forghine help to african efforts
Re: Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jul 04, 2013
andrewza:

Has i said we should not turn down forghine help to african efforts

so we agree that African nations are not capable of handling conflicts by them selves right now?
Re: Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by andrewza: 6:42pm On Jul 04, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

so we agree that African nations are not capable of handling conflicts by them selves right now?

depends on the crisis
Re: Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:35pm On Jul 04, 2013
andrewza:

depends on the crisis

Please elaborate.. crisis.. like Boko Haram?
Re: Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by andrewza: 7:49pm On Jul 04, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt:

Please elaborate.. crisis.. like Boko Haram?

That is being handled by africans yes, but if BH was in a poor country it would need forghine help.
Re: Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jul 04, 2013
andrewza:

depends on the crisis

I disagree...i think they should intervene in almost all conflicts...and as early as possible...to minimize cost, lost of

life, and damage to properties.
Re: Should African Disputes/conflicts Be Handled By African Countries Themselves? by andrewza: 7:52pm On Jul 04, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

I disagree...i think they should intervene in almost all conflicts...and as early as possible...to minimize cost, lost of

life, and damage to properties.

And they won't because it put Cost them, puts there people lives at risk and there propertie in danger. Forghin powers only step in when it threatens them.

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Founder, Ali Modu Sheriff Concludes Plan To Start New Airline! / Ngozi Okonjo Iweala For Governor Of Delta State 2015 / Democracy In Nigeria: Introducing The Fourth Arm Of Government.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.