Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,109 members, 7,818,309 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? (7562 Views)

I Have The Corolla You Want / RR Cullinan Vs Bentley Bentayga, Which Of The 2 SUVs Would You Rather Ride In? / N1.3billion Karlmann King: The Most Expensive SUV In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by PaulH07: 1:09pm On Oct 06, 2020
I remember back in 2013 when a Tokunbo Corolla, Honda Accord, Camry and Benz c240 2003 models were going for roughly the same average price of #1.5million.

Now the Corolla has left it's peers behind and I'm seeing a Tokunbo 03 Corolla going for almost 2million, while the others have remained in the same price range, or even less.

Now a naija used '03 Corolla is even going for #1.5million.

Even an '03 naija used Camry is around 800-900k, but naija used Corolla is almost double the price.

Most annoying tin to me is it's the most boring car ever! I might even sleep off while driving the car sef...

10 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by Ofunwachine2028: 1:30pm On Oct 06, 2020
Nah uninformed people dey drive that shit,
Some will say fuel economy.. #spit
Let's go with a simple calc...
Honda accord 2005 (foreign) 1.6
Toyota corrolla 2005 (foreign) 2.1

The person way buy honda accord save 500k for fuel, still enjoy smooth ride with swag,
You way add 500k to buy corolla, you go still dey buy fuel oooo!
Now ask yourself, when you go drive 500k fuel finish if you were to buy Honda ...
I dey vex for that car, the anger no allow me express myself undecided undecided undecided

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by Aaaaarghmed(m): 1:55pm On Oct 06, 2020
its the demand for the car in naija that made the price skyrocket,and with the introduction of uber also.Most keeps use it for uber and apart from that there is nothing special about a corolla.The seats are basic even the handling is thrash, but naija love Toyotas too much.I wud rather use that 2million to get a clean naija used Honda evil spirit.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by ariesbull: 2:44pm On Oct 06, 2020
PaulH07:
I remember back in 2013 when a Tokunbo Corolla, Honda Accord, Camry and Benz c240 2003 models were going for roughly the same average price of #1.5million.

Now the Corolla has left it's peers behind and I'm seeing a Tokunbo 03 Corolla going for almost 2million, while the others have remained in the same price range, or even less.

Now a naija used '03 Corolla is even going for #1.5million.

Even an '03 naija used Camry is around 800-900k, but naija used Corolla is almost double the price.

Most annoying tin to me is it's the most boring car ever! I might even sleep off while driving the car sef...
That is a taxi car very uninspiring

4 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by emmaak2(m): 4:51pm On Oct 06, 2020
hahahahah liv our corolla o

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by uboma(m): 6:45pm On Oct 06, 2020
PaulH07:

This part of your comment made me laugh out loud.

4 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by 80kobo(m): 6:54pm On Oct 06, 2020
People are too lazy to think for themselves and basic economic laws of demand and supply.

According to poster above

The person way buy honda accord save 500k for fuel, still enjoy smooth ride with swag,
Now ask yourself, when you go drive 500k fuel finish if you were to buy Honda .

2 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by Blacklaurel: 7:30pm On Oct 06, 2020
Ofunwachine2028:
Nah uninformed people dey drive that shit,
Some will say fuel economy.. #spit
Let's go with a simple calc...
Honda accord 2005 (foreign) 1.6
Toyota corrolla 2005 (foreign) 2.1

Now ask yourself, when you go drive 500k fuel finish if you were to buy Honda ...
I dey vex for that car, the anger no allow me express myself undecided undecided undecided

You seem to be the uninformed one sir, people who own or drive a Corolla have their reasons. It is not the car with the most fuel economy in it's class, not the cheapest, doesn't have 'swag' as you put it yet it's the most sought after with a great second hand value and you think people who drive it are fools?. Funny enough most of my peers who got 03-07 honda accord circa 2014 now drive corollas I guess they realised 'peace of mind' matters most. It's simply a car that gets the job done day in day out without disrupting your itinerary and budget.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by FEGNO: 8:16pm On Oct 06, 2020
Truly, there is no price tag you can put on peace of mind. Corolla, a car even mechanics love to hate. What more can you say

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by dadabashua1(m): 9:04pm On Oct 06, 2020
Op just like some have already stated,its simple,the higher the demand,the higher the price,also another very important point was raised,cars used for transportation business normally has a high price tag,not just corolla,talking of peace of mind,well I don't believe it is only corolla that gives peace of mind, far from it,infact the main reason is expensive is due to uber,and also uber drives the demand in return.I saw tukunbo prices of 1994 sharon,hiace Toyota buses you will understand that once its used for transport business,it will be expensive, nothing special.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by Presegs(m): 9:24pm On Oct 06, 2020
Corolla
Corolla
Corolla

Car wey em driver dey do yanga come dey use drag road with my Lexus Es 350 on my way to Abuja.

I just look am shake head then tapped my throttle. The rest was history cool

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by sultaan(m): 9:27pm On Oct 06, 2020
Our economy has taken a nose dive and the middle class has a reduced purchasing poet.

The only car that they feel will go a long way for their naira is the Corolla.
They believe in a lower running cost, and the higher purchasing cost will be justified by a higher second/ third hand value.

Mos t users are not willing to do the cost analysis of ownership, just get a car that can be fixed by any grease monkey in any part of the bush along any road in Nigeria, and that is what they are paying premium price for.
Until the buyers are better educated about cars and the mechanics level of exposure is improved Corolla is the silver bullet for Nigerian roads right now

9 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by Presegs(m): 9:30pm On Oct 06, 2020
sultaan:
Our economy has taken a nose dive and the middle class has a reduced purchasing poet.

The only car that they feel will go a long way for their naira is the Corolla.
They believe in a lower running cost, and the higher purchasing cost will be justified by a higher second/ third hand value.

Mos t users are not willing to do the cost analysis of ownership, just get a car that can be fixed by any grease monkey in any part of the bush along any road in Nigeria, and that is what they are paying premium price for.
Until the buyers are better educated about cars and the mechanics level of exposure is improved Corolla is the silver bullet for Nigerian roads right now

But why the bolded? cry
Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by dadabashua1(m): 9:39pm On Oct 06, 2020
Presegs:
Corolla
Corolla
Corolla

Car wey em driver dey do yanga come dey use drag road with my Lexus Es 350 on my way to Abuja.

hahahaha,the way they feel ehhhh,that 126hp is doing them like its 380hp..lol,most especially 2003-2007 models,they like forming fast and furious on top that small horsepower.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by Presegs(m): 10:24pm On Oct 06, 2020
dadabashua1:
hahahaha,the way they feel ehhhh,that 126hp is doing them like its 380hp..lol,most especially 2003-2007 models,they like forming fast and furious on top that small horsepower.

grin

No mind dem

6 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by Eldemmi(m): 10:36pm On Oct 06, 2020
uboma:

This part of your comment made me laugh out loud.
I get D's ur point Wella I am smiling,,,,

1 Like

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by Conner44: 11:23pm On Oct 06, 2020
You see these two model of cars ...

Toyota Camry 1999-2002 & Toyota Corolla 1900-2007 ....

Dash me and I’d immediately use it to sow seed with a new ministry that springs up anywhere near my house angry

5 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by Elsueno: 11:33pm On Oct 06, 2020
That car has a lot of flaws and strict conditions.

You need a gated compound
You cant just park it anywhere even during D day, u might end up with a missing brainbox or even D whole car.

Yes, parts are cheap, but when you calculate how often you replace them. It ain't cheap at all.

Like some1 above said, the only advantage of that car is, Everybody can fix it, It's the favorite car of lazy car owners. Requires minimum attention, tolerates kazeem abuse real well.

And to be frank, with D way Nigerians drive, I don't think D fuel economy matters that much anyways

14 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by sultaan(m): 12:43am On Oct 07, 2020
Presegs:

By why the bolded? cry

Noun
grease monkey (plural grease monkeys)

(idiomatic, slang) A mechanic, often with the specific connotation of an automobile mechanic.
I'm no grease monkey, but I can manage to change out my engine's spark plugs without assistance.

If you are on the highway between states, you won't expect a train mechanic to fix your car, but any mechanic covered in grease/engine oil

9 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by Kayharry(m): 12:59am On Oct 07, 2020
Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by nedu46(m): 9:46am On Oct 07, 2020
Please guys help me out on this. I want to go into Uber/Bolt and I'm confused on the car to use, either corolla 2006 or camry(big daddy).
Please help me guys.
Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by Presegs(m): 11:39am On Oct 07, 2020
nedu46:
Please guys help me out on this. I want to go into Uber/Bolt and I'm confused on the car to use, either corolla 2006 or camry(big daddy).
Please help me guys.

Since you are confused between the two, go for Honda civic 2005 instead.

9 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by PaulH07: 12:54pm On Oct 07, 2020
ariesbull:

That is a taxi car very uninspiring

Walahi...if not for Kazeems wey no sabi work. Na BMW pesin for buy. But these guys would coerce you into buying the most boring car in the world!

7 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by Zane2point4(m): 1:06pm On Oct 07, 2020
Blacklaurel:

You seem to be the uninformed one sir, people who own or drive a Corolla have their reasons. It is not the car with the most fuel economy in it's class, not the cheapest, doesn't have 'swag' as you put it yet it's the most sought after with a great second hand value and you think people who drive it are fools?. Funny enough most of my peers who got 03-07 honda accord circa 2014 now drive corollas I guess they realised 'peace of mind' matters most. It's simply a car that gets the job done day in day out without disrupting your itinerary and budget.
Leave the guy make him deh yan dust.
I drove out for work in one particular morning and saw 3 packed up Hondas frm 03 to 07 respectively with one issue or the other,especially that K' leg issue.
I simply wine and say sorry o while zooming off.

5 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by PaulH07: 1:25pm On Oct 07, 2020
Presegs:
Corolla
Corolla
Corolla

cheesy cheesy grin

5 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by nedu46(m): 7:25pm On Oct 07, 2020
The thing is that I don't like Honda, the only Honda accord that catches my eye is from 2011 model to date but between Corolla and Camry one will be better to go for.
Presegs:

3 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by ariesbull: 7:36pm On Oct 07, 2020
PaulH07:

Walahi...if not for Kazeems wey no sabi work. Na BMW pesin for buy. But these guys would coerce you into buying the most boring car in the world!
that corolla is fücked

1 Like

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by PaulH07: 7:52pm On Oct 07, 2020
ariesbull:
that corolla is fücked

Everytime I see the car, all I see is sadness.

I really wonder how I'll drive that car should I buy it.

My primary aim of driving is to enjoy it, and not just be transported from one place to the other, as driving is even more stressful than being driven.

Unfortunately, one would have to live in Lagos or Abuja to drive these German machines with confidence.

I guess I'll just make do with the rubbish of a car till one moves to saner climes where any type car can be driven without the fear of Kazeem's crass ignorance.

6 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by Blacklaurel: 8:13pm On Oct 07, 2020
dadabashua1:
Op just like some have already stated,its simple,the higher the demand,the higher the price,also another very important point was raised,cars used for transportation business normally has a high price tag,not just corolla,talking of peace of mind,well I don't believe it is only corolla that gives peace of mind, far from it,infact the main reason is expensive is due to uber,and also uber drives the demand in return.I saw tukunbo prices of 1994 sharon,hiace Toyota buses you will understand that once its used for transport business,it will be expensive, nothing special.

Don't mind those yeye transporters that decide to stick with a particular expensive vehicle instead of a cheaper alternative, why buy an expensive Corolla for uber when Mazda 323 or C230 benz of same year is cheaper, faster with more luxurious feel? why will you use a sienna for transport when nissan quest, mercury villager and honda odyssey are cheaper? The toyota hilux vs cheaper honda ridgeline. The Oga patapata of them all is the toyota hiace aka hummer bus, it's obvious that one dey use jazz. All these vehicles became preferred choice for transporters because they have a strong dibia who do jazz for them. If you check the records too you will realize they also sold in large volumes in their country of origin when new, one wonders why that is so. I guess the buyers have prophets who foresaw Nigerians will rush the cars like dodo in later years.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by dadabashua1(m): 9:00pm On Oct 07, 2020
Blacklaurel:

Don't mind those yeye transporters that decide to stick with a particular expensive vehicle instead of a cheaper alternative, why buy an expensive Corolla for uber when Mazda 323 or C230 benz of same year is cheaper, faster with more luxurious feel? why will you use a sienna for transport when nissan quest, mercury villager and honda odyssey are cheaper? The toyota hilux vs cheaper honda ridgeline. The Oga patapata of them all is the toyota hiace aka hummer bus, it's obvious that one dey use jazz. All these vehicles became preferred choice for transporters because they have a strong dibia who do jazz for them. If you check the records too you will realize they also sold in large volumes in their country of origin when new, one wonders why that is so. I guess the buyers have prophets who foresaw Nigerians will rush the cars like dodo in later years.
even though Nigeria is not the target market for Toyota during production, I have a feeling a Nigerian with Japanese blood is involved(lol), because Toyota turns out to be a perfect fit for the Nigerian market and road at the same time...lol

3 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by emmaak2(m): 10:59pm On Oct 07, 2020
dadabashua1:
even though Nigeria is not the target market for Toyota during production, I have a feeling a Nigerian with Japanese blood is involved(lol), because Toyota turns out to be a perfect fit for the Nigerian market and road at the same time...lol

very possible o, one chinedu

2 Likes

Re: How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? by Sniper4real(m): 8:23am On Oct 08, 2020
Presegs:

boss. plz can I see 1k from you. pls sir

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

'98 Honda CRV Auto tranny issue / Lexus Es350 Or Lexus Is250, Which Should I Go For / With A Budget Of 7million, What's The Best Car I Can Get Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.