Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ (32854 Views)

Omotola With Oprah Winfrey, Boris Kodjoe & Others / Lady Got The Bashing Of Her Life For Talking Ill Of Peter Okoye On Instagram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by r231(m): 4:09pm On Mar 04, 2011
We already knew Oprah wasn’t a big fan of most black folks but we didn’t know she had beef with Jesus too!

Oprah’s cousin Jo Baldwin is speaking out about how her rich cuzzo fired her for loving Jesus and the terrible way Harpo treats her own family…

Shortly after Oprah Winfrey became a national sensation she hired her first cousin Jo Baldwin to be her speechwriter. Later she promoted Baldwin to VP of her company Harpo Inc.

“When I received my PhD in 1985 from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Oprah asked me where I was going to work,” said Jo Baldwin in the summer of 2010. “I said I would be applying for a position at Ebony magazine as a copy editor. Oprah said she did not like Linda Johnson Rice [owner of Ebony] and I should come to work for her instead. So I did.”

“I was to work for her for three years, but she fired me without notice after two years… I heard from someone later that she got rid of me because she got tired of me talking about Jesus all the time… Oprah preferred the teachings of Shirley MacLaine’s books, such as Dancing in the Light and Out on a Limb, which Oprah made me read but I didn’t think much of.”

Baldwin isn’t the only relative who has been put off by her famous family member. The common consensus among Winfrey’s clan is that Harpo don’t love them!

The power of Oprah’s vast wealth makes most of her relatives quake. They want to be part of the luxurious life that she offers on occasion (her lavish Christmas presents, her birthday checks, even her hand-me-downs) but they chafe at the way she has dismissed them since becoming famous and they know that she does not cherish them as family. She prefers instead her celebrity friends. Oprah holds Maya Angelou as the mother she should’ve had; she sees Sidney Poitier as her father, Quincy Jones as her uncle, and Gayle King as her beloved sister.

Jo Baldwin became estranged from her famous relative who continues to put distance between herself and her blood relations. Oprah will not give her mother, Vernita Lee, her personal phone number. If her mother needs to call Oprah, she must call the studio and talk to Oprah’s producers.

‘”The family is tangled with so many secrets and so much fear,” said Baldwin. “I admit I was afraid of Oprah for 20 years. Absolutely terrified. She’s powerful and dangerous. She told me if I ever opened my mouth [about what I know] she’d sue my pants off.”

“Mainly, Oprah wanted to shame me for being a follower of Jesus as if to say, ‘What is He doing for you that’s so great?’ Oprah inflicts emotional wounds that could lead to physical illness, if they aren’t healed. My faith has kept me from getting sick [over her].”

Oprah ain’t got no love for Jesus Or her own family That’s a damn shame!

http://nollywoodgossip.net/2011/03/04/shocking-oprah-winfrey-fired-cousin-for-%e2%80%98talking-about-jesus%e2%80%99/
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by TCD: 5:28pm On Mar 04, 2011
SMH. Jealousy no go kill some people.
Trust the black man, once you become rich your whole extended family want to leech of you. Lazy people, why won't they cry 'no love'.

Since 1987, na now the woman remember oprah fired her for Jesus. Lol

1 Like

Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by Nobody: 6:31pm On Mar 04, 2011
^^^^ exactly!!!!
they are even lucky, if it was me, NONE of them would get a job.
one rule that i learn in life is that: YOU DONT MIX BUSINESS WITH PLEASURE!

as if only Jesus Followers will succeed in life, NONSENSE!!!!

1 Like

Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by Nakele(f): 11:16pm On Mar 04, 2011
you pple talk too much,,,,,,,,this is rubbish, lET oPRAH BE

1 Like

Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by victorazy(m): 6:40pm On Mar 05, 2011
TCD:

SMH. Jealousy no go kill some people.
Trust the black man, once you become rich your whole extended family want to leech of you. Lazy people, why won't they cry 'no love'.

Since 1987, na now the woman remember oprah fired her for Jesus. Lol

why are u saying this? Go to YouTube and watch Opra's old tapes "The Church of Opra" she is Anti-Christ, she has the mark.
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by PeeDaVinci: 6:43pm On Mar 05, 2011
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by victorazy(m): 6:49pm On Mar 05, 2011
That Woman is a beast that's why she refused to marry (cant you reason it) can a woman spend her life without having a felling of man in her life "she is a monster"

2 Likes

Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by leuelliot(m): 6:57pm On Mar 05, 2011
victorazy:

That Woman is a beast that's why she refused to marry (cant you reason it) can a woman spend her life without having a felling of man in her life "she is a monster"

The fact that she is not married does not mean she doesn't have a lover. she has a dude that she leaves with but is not married to!
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by tlops(m): 7:11pm On Mar 05, 2011
She is not married but she has been in a committed relationship for a long time.

Winfrey and her partner Stedman Graham have been together since 1986. They were engaged to be married in November 1992, but the ceremony never took place.
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by eros(m): 7:12pm On Mar 05, 2011
Guys don't forget there is always a sense in every nonsense. Part of the story might be false, yet some of it might be true.
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by mrtidy(m): 7:22pm On Mar 05, 2011
I hate to be supersticious but Oprah poses to be a free thinker, why hate someone for religious association?

1 Like

Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by leuelliot(m): 7:25pm On Mar 05, 2011
mrtidy:

I hate to be supersticious but Oprah poses to be a free thinker, why hate someone for religious association?

The claim is that she fired someone based on religious grounds
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by maninmood(m): 7:43pm On Mar 05, 2011
What would be you guys' response if Oprah was a Nigerian? undecided Would you support her?
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by spartanian(m): 8:01pm On Mar 05, 2011
she is against jesus christ, check youtube for her relationship wit the illuminati

1 Like

Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by TCD: 8:02pm On Mar 05, 2011
victorazy:

why are u saying this? Go to YouTube and watch Opra's old tapes "The Church of Opra" she is Anti-Christ, she has the mark.

Are you the one that "Marked" her? Na wa o
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by oluagness(m): 8:33pm On Mar 05, 2011
r231:

Jo Baldwin became estranged from her famous relative who continues to put distance between herself and her blood relations. Oprah will not give her mother, Vernita Lee, her personal phone number. If her mother needs to call Oprah, she must call the studio and talk to Oprah’s producers.
http://nollywoodgossip.net/2011/03/04/shocking-oprah-winfrey-fired-cousin-for-%e2%80%98talking-about-jesus%e2%80%99/
Unbelievable.
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by buzugee(m): 8:47pm On Mar 05, 2011
grin you dont get to be oprah rich by hanging with black country folk grin

1 Like

Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by oge4real(f): 8:48pm On Mar 05, 2011
I agree that there is more to Oprah's love life than meets the eye.
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by Ibime(m): 8:49pm On Mar 05, 2011
I would also fire any employee that preaches about Jesus all the time.

1 Like

Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by buzugee(m): 8:50pm On Mar 05, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

^^^^ exactly!!!!
they are even lucky, if it was me, NONE of them would get a job.
one rule that i learn in life is that: YOU DONT MIX BUSINESS WITH PLEASURE!

as if only Jesus Followers will succeed in life, NONSENSE!!!!
and then when you need a kidney you will crawll back to your family with your tail between your legs begging them to donate theirs to you like that rich nigerian woman in DC ?
you have to take care of family. its a must
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by Nobody: 8:50pm On Mar 05, 2011
[size=15pt]Money breeds pride and pride is of the devil.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by colane(m): 8:58pm On Mar 05, 2011
Oprah isn't the first celebrity that would behave so irrational about Christianity or believing Jesus as a topic, neither is she the tenth,  Everything that happens now looks like a prophecy being accomplished. Am not her fan anyway!!! but i just wonder why God place such people in the hall of fame,  When many heart are truly ready.
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by buzugee(m): 9:03pm On Mar 05, 2011
colane:

Oprah isn't the first celebrity that would behave so irrational about Christianity or believing Jesus as a topic, neither is she the tenth,  Everything that happens now looks like a prophecy being accomplished. Am not her fan anyway!!! but i just wonder why God place such people in the hall of fame,  When many heart are truly ready.
who told you God placed her in the hall of fame ? you do know that God has no control over what happens in this world right ? the world belongs to the prince of darkness.
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by Dapwajok(m): 9:08pm On Mar 05, 2011
Na wa ooo, She don't want to hear about Jesus Christ and to add it up, her mother can not call her directly because she is too big for her mother. No wonder, she is not married, she don't have a kid that is why she don't know the value of a mother.
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by sirp2007: 9:21pm On Mar 05, 2011
what is d essence of wealth if u can`t take good care of ur immediate family?
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by jpworld(m): 9:26pm On Mar 05, 2011
buzugee:

who told you God placed her in the hall of fame ? you do know that God has no control over what happens in this world right ? the world belongs to the prince of darkness.

Who told you God has no control over the earth? God created the world and he has perfect control over the earth, I think Jesus been God, is a story created by the Jews, dey even claim God/Jesus came to this earth as Jews Man, why not Igbo man? or Yoruba man?
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by mrofficial(m): 9:29pm On Mar 05, 2011
This yeye Oprah wey dey miss interpret bible? I'm not surprised.
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by Nobody: 9:31pm On Mar 05, 2011
She doesn't care about Jesus and her family, so why cry to the press about it? Cos u were paid a few thousands right? Bloody loser. It's incredible how amazong money is. Once one becomes wealthy, EVERYONE wants to be your 'friend'. . .including family and relatives that treated you badly when you were nobody. Only the ones you shun would turn around to yarn dust about how 'bad' and 'wicked' you are and all that B.S.

Oprah is not a mere human. She is an INSTITUTION. If one can become that successful despite hating Jesus, then what more could anyone gain by loving Jesus? It's all very confusing right now. I'm just being the Devil's Advocate here.
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by mamagee3(f): 9:34pm On Mar 05, 2011
Oprah Winfrey has always been a well knwon atheist

I'm not surprised by her actions one bit.
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by orbaxy(m): 9:46pm On Mar 05, 2011
Whats so fantastic about Oprah? its well known she has Jesus-phobia (i wonder why) She once said, "Jesus is just one of the ways to God" and Benny Hinn lashed her for that.
Left for me, there's nothing fantastic about her shows. Who watch it anyway?
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by Araboy(m): 10:00pm On Mar 05, 2011
I wouldn't allow any imam priest rabbi shama or employee talk religion on work place Yes I will fire him/her
Re: Oprah Winfrey Fired Cousin For ‘talking About Jesus’ by adagz01(m): 10:25pm On Mar 05, 2011
even her face looks like a monster,no wonder i have never devout my 1min of my time for her stupid show

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Throwback: See Faze And Niyola Before Fame / Icebox Zahir: Davido Spends N50 To N100m Every Time He Visits / Stephanie Okereke's Surprise Party From Her Husband (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.