Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,679 members, 7,820,379 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? (2426 Views)

I-phone 7 Is Out!! / 101-reasons-not-to-buy-windows-phone-7.5 / Any Windows Phone 7 Engineer In The House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:03am On Mar 05, 2011
if you have been following tech news in the past two weeks you would have heard about the windows phone7 issues

what basically happened is that MS decided to release an update that prepares the phones for the first update dont ask me, ask M$ it also makes no sense to me.

the first time they tried it, a number of phones were bricked, some merely required reset, or factory wipes

second time, its simply not updating on some phones. thus far there have been attempts to tactically shift the blame to OEMs, particularly samsung, as most of the affected phones are samsung wp7 phone.

But Samsung isn't shipping this update. Microsoft is. If Microsoft is shipping an update that doesn't work, that's Microsoft's responsibility--even if the underlying issue is Samsung's. Before shipping an update for Samsung phones, Microsoft should make sure the update works on Samsung phones.And even if the underlying issue is Samsung's, compatibility with the update mechanism is something that should have been tested before a single device shipped, and it should be a license condition.

A tighter, fully MS controlled ecosystem is one of the promises that brought people to WP7. We were supposed to get the hardware variety of Android, but with Microsoft forcing such strict guidelines on the underlying components and fully controlling the hardware, we were supposed to get the update experience of iOS. If you’re going to blame the OEM’s, then WP7 really has nothing on Andorid.

it is M$ that controls the OS and updates mechanism. not OEMs, one goof was bad enough, but two!!! in a row, and were not even talking full blown update o, just an update to the updater to enable future updates.

A tighter, fully MS controlled ecosystem is one of the promises that brought people to WP7. We were supposed to get the hardware variety of Android, but with Microsoft forcing such strict guidelines on the underlying components and fully controlling the hardware, we were supposed to get the update experience of iOS. If you’re going to blame the OEM’s, then WP7 really has nothing on Andorid.

whither thou goest? opinions pls

further reading
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/04/updated-windows-phone-7-update-isnt-updating-some-samsung-phone/

Nokia, i think you backed the wrong horse ooooooooooooo
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:11am On Mar 05, 2011
and before texazzpete gets on my case, i have nuthin but love for winphone7

heard its great, if ur a fan of closed ecosystems.

am just thinking, if Nokia should by any means get any OS issues on any of their new phones running wp7, mahn that be really bad for business, besides, unlike samsung Htc, etc, they have chosen only one route, other OEMS have alternatives. for nokia its win or bust

which leads to my question when we were discussing the nokiasoft alliance befor, is MS going to allow nokia full acess to handle the OS as like? cos the only way to guarantee that quality is by nannying MS. they simply cannot afford OS debacles.

and from what im seeing, the first updates to wp7 are gonna be a big issue with OEM quirks.

they want to be like apple, control the ecosystem and os fully, but apple makes its own hardware, not just anybody from china or taiwan.
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by audacious: 9:48am On Mar 05, 2011
@ 4llerbuntu

All this long story, the problem wasn't/isn't as bad as you are making it out to be (The engadget link you posted doesn't help your cause as it is clear Engadget are Apple fan boys and generally hate on MS). 90% of devices updated successfully with only a few Samsung devices having problems and MS have (supposedly) solved that problem.

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-resumes-windows-phone-7-update-to-samsung-devices/#idc-cover
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:29am On Mar 06, 2011
thats not the point. im not a apple fan boy. and as for engadget being fanboys, thats just silly. are u aware that they get paid for publicity? and that they have to drive traffic to their site so they do populist stuff?

did u see the one week wp7 extravaganza they did at launch of wp? for real, drop that line.

as to the point of my article, that it happened at all is the issue. i know it was a limited incident, thats precisely why i posted the engadget link, the comments under the article are ever so insightful.

now view it in this way, ms is not a forerunner in mobile os world. this is like a give it shot in the arm thing. they chose the closed eco method, such that oems cannot even do their normal ui customizations. they supposedly vet the hardware too. they then have issues with samsung early, when we are all waiting and watching. i dunno abt u, but i would think long and hard before buying a wp7 even without any bad press.

all good, samsung can afford such rubbish, sammy and motorola are legendary for cock ups in fones they make, still not hurting sales. if ms has vetted the phones, to avoid this cock ups, yet it occurs. what then will be if per chance nokia releases fones that then turn round to get bricked at first update?

its like rim releasing a bb that wont play nice with bbm, bis, bes.

say what u will, for me nokia backed the wrong horse, ms is not going to be at the levels of apple and android anytime soon. they should have stuck with maemo and opened it u; further and made it even more attractive to devs to undercut others. ms is perfectly capable of messing up all at one blow.

its just one thing u gotta respect apple for, they dont do fails
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by LordReed(m): 10:33am On Mar 06, 2011
My soul sheds tears for nokia in this their support of the wp7. I also think its a disaster waiting to happen and it will cost nokia very dearly.

IMO nokia should have gone the android route or at the very least brought symbian up to speed.

I use a win mobile phone and the only thing I gbadun is Opera mobile 10 touchscreen version. I know wp7 is miles ahead but if experience is anything to go by its that ms hardly get things right the first time except for maybe xbox I can't remember ms winning anything on first go around.

I really pray nokia reverses course before they hit the rocks.
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by texazzpete(m): 6:44pm On Mar 07, 2011
So much FUD in your article, it's hilarious.

4llerbuntu:

what basically happened is that MS decided to release an update that prepares the phones for the first update dont ask me, ask M$ it also makes no sense to me.

the first time they tried it, a number of phones were bricked, some merely required reset, or factory wipes

second time, its simply not updating on some phones. thus far there have been attempts to tactically shift the blame to OEMs, particularly samsung, as most of the affected phones are samsung wp7 phone.

None of the phones were bricked.
I see nothing wrong with Microsoft's model. it's far preferrable to Android's at the moment, which leaves you at the mercy of the carrier or manufacturer. The issue affected only a few users of the Samsung Focus handset. ALL (not most) of the affected phones are from samsung.

4llerbuntu:

But Samsung isn't shipping this update. Microsoft is. If Microsoft is shipping an update that doesn't work, that's Microsoft's responsibility--even if the underlying issue is Samsung's. Before shipping an update for Samsung phones, Microsoft should make sure the update works on Samsung phones.And even if the underlying issue is Samsung's, compatibility with the update mechanism is something that should have been tested before a single device shipped, and it should be a license condition.

Sorry, the update works on all other models apart from some Samsung phones. Microsoft's taken responsibility and is clearly working towards a fix. This has no issue with 'compatibility with the update mechanism' as you erroneously claim. And even with serious testing, firmware updates in the wild can brick phones.

An OTA android update for the EVO 4G led to some bricks last year. (http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/customer-service/70320.html) Ditto for some motorola CLIQ users. PS3 gamers have had issues with bricks on some firmware updates.
iOS updates have led to errors aplenty in the past. Heck, a short while ago Apple had to yank an iOS 4.2 master for retooling after it disabled WiFi on iPads. Are you saying there was no testing done?

4llerbuntu:

Microsoft doesn't fully control the hardware. They have strict minimum requirements, but that's it.
It's worth noting that Microsoft is the one taking all the steps to fix this issue, they aren't trying to sit it out and pass the buck onto Samsung.
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by texazzpete(m): 6:54pm On Mar 07, 2011
4llerbuntu:

am just thinking, if Nokia should by any means get any OS issues on any of their new phones running wp7, mahn that be really bad for business, besides, unlike samsung Htc, etc, they have chosen only one route, other OEMS have alternatives. for nokia its win or bust

which leads to my question when we were discussing the nokiasoft alliance befor, is MS going to allow nokia full acess to handle the OS as like? cos the only way to guarantee that quality is by nannying MS. they simply cannot afford OS debacles.

and from what im seeing, the first updates to wp7 are gonna be a big issue with OEM quirks.

they want to be like apple, control the ecosystem and os fully, but apple makes its own hardware, not just anybody from china or taiwan.

Nokia has had OS issues on most of their smartphones in recent years. The N96 was pathetic at launch, the N97 launch firmware was utterly abysmal. They fixed them with software updates. How come it's so different when Microsoft is involved?

There is no 'big issue with OEM quirks' here. That's just you blowing things out of proportion. Microsoft is doing something very admirable here; attempting to push out updates to all Wp7 devices in one go. No more begging carriers and manufacturers for updates (Android, i'm looking at you!). When the new update goes live this week, it'll be pushed out to all WP7 devices, including the affected Samsung Focus line.

People give microsoft a lot of flak for not being ambitious enough. Now they are, and i still see the complaints. Na wa.

For someone who claims to be abreast of tech, it's surprising that you didn't hear when Nokia and Microsoft re-iterated for the one millionth time that Nokia would be allowed to tweak and customize Win Phone 7 to a great extent. While i'm sure Nokia will add lots of value to the platform, i'm surprised you expect them to 'nanny' microsoft. Wasn't it the same Nokia that struggled with turning Symbian into a modern OS?

Without Nokia's help, Microsoft showed off several updates to WP7 expected this year that will bring it up to feature parity with iOS and Android in practically ALL respects. If you can't give them credit for it, they you haven't escaped your MS hatin' roots grin grin
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by texazzpete(m): 7:07pm On Mar 07, 2011
4llerbuntu:

say what u will, for me nokia backed the wrong horse, ms is not going to be at the levels of apple and android anytime soon. they should have stuck with maemo and opened it u; further and made it even more attractive to devs to undercut others. ms is perfectly capable of messing up all at one blow.

In terms of uniqueness and aesthetics, WP7 arguably crushes Android and iOS as is.
Copy and Paste and many other OS and UI enhancements are coming early march.
The 'Mango' update by end 2011 will add multitasking (handled more elegantly than iOS, i might add), significant speed ups, a significantly browser with GPU acceleration, free turn-by-turn navigation powered by Nokia's Ovi maps, Kinect integration and much more. At that time, there will be little difference between the three main OS.

Maemo and meego were going nowhere. Your beloved N900 ended up as a hobbyist device. There's not much more to be done to make your app store more attractive to devs than what the likes of apple (and now Microsoft and Google) are already doing with the 70/30 split. Ask RIM how they've fared with their big drive for devs in recent weeks.

4llerbuntu:

its just one thing u gotta respect apple for, they dont do fails

And as i've shown earlier, even iOS updates have been known to brick phones. iPhone 3G owners who updated to 4.0 had to suffer through excruciating slowdowns for a while until Apple released an update.
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by texazzpete(m): 7:14pm On Mar 07, 2011
Lord_Reed:

My soul sheds tears for nokia in this their support of the wp7. I also think its a disaster waiting to happen and it will cost nokia very dearly.

IMO nokia should have gone the android route or at the very least brought symbian up to speed.

I use a win mobile phone and the only thing I gbadun is Opera mobile 10 touchscreen version. I know wp7 is miles ahead but if experience is anything to go by its that ms hardly get things right the first time except for maybe xbox I can't remember ms winning anything on first go around.

I really pray nokia reverses course before they hit the rocks.

Going with Android would have been the most stupid thing Nokia would have done.
One the low end, they'd have been slaughtered in Asia and the middle east by the wave of cheap Android phones from the likes of Huawei.

At the high end, Nokia would have been buried under the avalanche of new Android phones. Samsung released the Nexus S to much fanfare late last year. Barely 2 months later it has been consigned to the rubbish heap of history by Android fans salivating for the wave of dual core phones, including the Motorola Atrix, LG Optimus Black and even Samsung's own Galaxy S II. More powerful phones are incoming from Asus, Acer, Dell, etc. Nokia would have struggled to move the significant volumes they had been used to moving if they had joined the fray.
They certainly would have struggled to penetrate the US market with a high end Android device. Not when the Android spec wars are so crazy these days.

They can differentiate with Windows Phone 7 and that's why they went down that route. We'll see how it plays out but sticking with Symbian would have been a path to perdition.

I blame the former Nokia CEO and board. They should have bought Palm for cheap last year, taken WebOS as their own and run with it. Instead they let it fall into HP's clutches. Smh.
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by LordReed(m): 2:31am On Mar 08, 2011
But to me differentiating themselves on such a dubious platform is not the best course of action they could have taken. I enjoyed using symbian alot I only switched to winmo for the experience and it hasn't being one I want to repeat. MS have a track record of muddying the waters which so far very few of their products have avoided. I have loved to see Nikia take symbian to the next level. I do not know how competitive palm would have been for them though I bet palm software running on nokia hardware would have been sweet.

Lets hope their strategy pays off somewhere for them though cos I'd hate to see all that lovely finnish tech go down the drain.
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:18am On Mar 08, 2011
on fone so will reply l8r, but as for choice of os, all the talk of android differentiation is pure bull. nokia does not have exclusive right on wp7. other oem's will/are making wp7 fones. the relative immaturity of the os/ecosystem is the reason why its not crowded. if wp7 ever gets adopted by users like android, the same scenario will occur.

and as for nokia tinkering with the os, i will believe that when i see it. Extensive ui customisations apart, i fail to see how they will do that, will their own wp7 now be totally different from other oems wp7? all the talk od fragmentation and across board compatibility? talk is cheap

which even brings up webos. that has far more potential, with the way its being pushed now.
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:12pm On Mar 08, 2011
to think about it further, the nokia fones u mentioned were their flagship devices when launched, they had dud OOS issues, nokia took a beating in reputation and market movement. thats hardly a good template for a fresh assault on the market?

say what u will, the gamble is big.

today bloomberg reports that nokia is getting a great deal of cash from microsoft for the deal. now the move makes more sense, on the surface cheesy
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:35pm On Mar 08, 2011
read ur post the bot swallowed. amused.

one thing, stephen elop is not the dalai lama. i fail to see why i would take him at face value, simply cos he say this or that. that is a man who would do or say anything to save his "burning platform" as he put it himself.
and please, how is adding the ovi store and maps indepth tinkering? does that also mean that other competing oems will then have to carry nokia mods? seeing that they cannot even add UI customisations? and nokia is now the big uncle of the platform?
also not ignoring the fact that the marketplace is ms and ovi store will technically be a competitor AND a way to get apps into the device which is officially prohibited?

dude, believe what you will, im not choppng the tori

and as for meeting up with android etc, oga everybody has been playing catchup to a fast developing platform, by the time wp7 is at first official iteration, do u have any idea how far ahead iOS and android will be? look at the differences in every build and marvel.

as per the security issues, yup big big fail, but like u know its an issue with an os version two releases old, using exploits that had been long fixed . it exposed the very issue google is gonna have to deal with, fragmentation by oems. yet if u think the wp7 issue is a non starter, why would u think this is any worse?

as for aesthetics, tex im SHOCKED! coming from ios user? u think a couple of plain blue tiles is much to look at? do u have any idea how crippled that os is? who polished it? with what? haba tex, unless u work at ms and have seen what this magical end of the year state will be, put a sock in it. even symbian v3 looks better.

besides all we have is promises of what will/may come. for other platforms, the future is now! at least get this much vaunted copy n paste out first,
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by moonraker(m): 7:24am On Mar 09, 2011
4llerbuntu:

read your post the bot swallowed. amused.

one thing, stephen elop is not the dalai lama. i fail to see why i would take him at face value, simply cos he say this or that. that is a man who would do or say anything to save his "burning platform" as he put it himself.
and please, how is adding the ovi store and maps indepth tinkering? does that also mean that other competing oems will then have to carry nokia mods? seeing that they cannot even add UI customisations? and nokia is now the big uncle of the platform?
also not ignoring the fact that the marketplace is ms and ovi store will technically be a competitor AND a way to get apps into the device which is officially prohibited?

and as for meeting up with android etc, oga everybody has been playing catchup to a fast developing platform, by the time wp7 is at first official iteration, do u have any idea how far ahead iOS and android will be? look at the differences in every build and marvel.

as per the security issues, yup big big fail, but like u know its an issue with an os version two releases old, using exploits that had been long fixed . it exposed the very issue google is gonna have to deal with, fragmentation by oems. yet if u think the wp7 issue is a non starter, why would u think this is any worse?

as for aesthetics, tex im SHOCKED! coming from ios user? u think a couple of plain blue tiles is much to look at? do u have any idea how crippled that os is? who polished it? with what? haba tex, unless u work at ms and have seen what this magical end of the year state will be, put a sock in it. even symbian v3 looks better.

besides all we have is promises of what will/may come. for other platforms, the future is now! at least get this much vaunted copy n paste out first,

Very Disappointed Bro, I mean i really held u in high esteem. First, let me ask u a question. ever played with the Wp7 OS?? or even the phone??

Becos without understanding the concept behind an OS, its would be wrong to pass judgement. Thats why we human beings have brains.

There is nothing wrong with the Wp7 OS. It is the best shit ever to come out from MS. The Plain Blue Tiles you so described are called APPS.

And you can download more from the WIndows Marketplace. and customize your home screen based on the apps you run the most. The rest of the

apps are hidden inside the OS.

Let me ask you another question. When IOS and Android OSes were introduced, where they full fledged OSes??

Didnt they have their own share of problems and missing Functions?? ahhh i remember when i bought my first

Android Phone (HTC Magic to be specific, This wasnt even the first Android Phone), i couldnt connect to my ad hoc

network. Even the The IOS didnt have common copy and paste until version 3.0.

You make it sound as if The MS cannot catch up with the rest of the pack. Another question for u (Question 3)

How is it that apple has been able to stay afloat in the smartphone phone market?? by been ahead?? really??

Look bro, This is a business and there are two key things in this business

1. Improve on your competitors by bringing out a new feature and improving on ur competitors features

2. Good Marketing

Peace!!!!
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by texazzpete(m): 7:54am On Mar 09, 2011
4llerbuntu:

read your post the bot swallowed. amused.

You know, I echo moonraker's comment about being disapointed in your powers of analysis.
Like it or not, Stephen Elop is the CEO of Nokia. He's penned a deal with Microsoft and has been open to the press and shareholders about the terms of the deal. Why will he not do anything to save his 'burning platform'? He is the CEO, after all.
You've clearly made NO ATTEMPT to research this issue between posts. Nokia has said that the Ovi store will be integrated in the Windows Phone 7 marketplace, their maps will go into WP7 (part of the deal made with Microsoft). They've been given carte blanche to make more tweaks and customizations to the core WP7 than other manufacturers. That has been confirmed by statements from Microsoft and Nokia. So what are you talking about?

4llerbuntu:

I don't understand what you mean by 'first official iteration'. WP7 is not in beta, sorry.
The difference between FroYo and Gingerbread is not massive by any means. I don't know what you're trying to highlight here. SImilarly, iOS 4.2 doesn't add much more value to the iPhone than version 4.1.

4llerbuntu:

as for aesthetics, tex im SHOCKED! coming from ios user? u think a couple of plain blue tiles is much to look at? do u have any idea how crippled that os is? who polished it? with what?

Note to 4llerbuntu: 'UI' does not mean 'homescreen'. Why are you making this elementary mistake?!
Even if you were targeting the WP7 homescreen, the flat tiles are dynamic and aren't 'plain' by any stretch of the imagination. The minimalist 'metro' design has been hailed as a brilliant alternative to iOS and Android's grid of icons. If you cannot get a WP7 device to use first hand, download and install the free emulator and try it out instead of making comments ignorantly.

4llerbuntu:

haba tex, unless u work at ms and have seen what this magical end of the year state will be, put a sock in it. even symbian v3 looks better.

Now i have to conclude that you're trolling. Where were you when Microsoft showed off the upcoming features slated for a fall 2011 update, complete with a massively improved browser, Multitasking, significant OS tweaks for speed, wifi hotspots and others?

Saying symbian v3 looks better is definitely a trollish statement.
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by Nobody: 8:53am On Mar 09, 2011
This is the most informative thread ever on Windows Phone 7. I will get my next Nokia if it is running WP7. Texazzpete Moonrake etc thanks for your responses to this work
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:20am On Mar 09, 2011
HEHEHEHEHEEH!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

here they come!!!! NL never disappoints. its been quite a while since the last major war, especially one involving tex. i just couldnt resist baiting him and boi did he bite!!! grin grin grin grin

anyways lets see,

firstly i have played with one HTC i saw with an acquaintance for like 5 minutes, and i also tried the emulator way back around the launch so those were my basis for experience. i want to believe you folks actually own one of the fones and as such know better.

moonraker:

Very Disappointed Bro, I mean i really held u in high esteem. First, let me ask u a question. ever played with the Wp7 OS?? or even the phone??

Becos without understanding the concept behind an OS, its would be wrong to pass judgement. Thats why we human beings have brains.

There is nothing wrong with the Wp7 OS. It is the best poo ever to come out from MS. The Plain Blue Tiles you so described are called APPS.

And you can download more from the WIndows Marketplace. and customize your home screen based on the apps you run the most. The rest of the

apps are hidden inside the OS.

pardon me moonraker, didnt know i had a reputation to protect on NL, that statement was wildly off the mark and distasteful. nevertheless, i will try my best to disappoint you further.

i didnt get the memo for the "concept behind the OS". so we can say i'm ignorant on that point. but what i am is an end user, who really cannot be arsed if wp7 is the new way to meet God. i evaluate it vis-a-vis my tastes, experiences with other phones/OS'es, and frankly i found the concept ludicrous.
looked different, sure, but not my idea of a winning design. and fyi, i dont even like desktop widgets on my pc.

if its the best to come out of redmond, sure, i agree, question is: is this best at this very moment good enough to displace others?

u know what i have come to realize about this deal, MS is counting on the fact that Nokia moves volumes worldwide. people are simply loyal to the brand e.g nigeria when u hear people tell u "buy nokia" without a simple coherent reason why buying that nokia is better than buying say HTC

moonraker:

Let me ask you another question. When IOS and Android OSes were introduced, where they full fledged OSes??

Didnt they have their own share of problems and missing Functions?? ahhh i remember when i bought my first

Android Phone (HTC Magic to be specific, This wasnt even the first Android Phone), i couldnt connect to my ad hoc

network. Even the The IOS didnt have common copy and paste until version 3.0.

oh, frankly YOU are going round in a circle. and this point is similar to the one tex made about the coming updates. that is THE POINT, they are trying to get to where others are at this present time, i suppose the others will simply sit buy and wait for them to catch up first then start afresh

what i have basically pointed out is that WP7 is not a finished article with regards to the type of issues you have raised above, and certainly i am refusing to judge it based on that singular fact.

what i was trying to say is that I do not trust MS to deliver those enhancements without flaws and issues, and that as far as i was concerned, it was too much of a gamble for nokia to put all their eggs in that basket

i would have preferred a situation where nokia left themselves options, but then with a 1 billion dollar deal who needs options grin grin grin grin grin

i have NOT SAID WP7 IS BAD OR WILL NOT BE GOOD. (IN THAT NIRVANA FUTURE) i have expressed my doubts that it will be or that MS will take it there in one piece.
MS can afford this thing to fail, Nokia cannot!!!

moonraker:

You make it sound as if The MS cannot catch up with the rest of the pack. Another question for u (Question 3)

How is it that apple has been able to stay afloat in the smartphone phone market?? by been ahead?? really??

Look bro, This is a business and there are two key things in this business

1. Improve on your competitors by bringing out a new feature and improving on your competitors features

2. Good Marketing

Peace!!!!

aahh, clearly you did not get the memo from cupertino grin grin grin grin grin

see, this is exactly the same point Steve Jobs was making at the launch of iPad 2.
you see the competition? they are a step or two behind Apple iPad.

Apple has its strategy and business model cooked, and smoking. NB: I DO NOT LIKE APPLE, I DO NOT LIKE THEIR BUSINESS MODEL OR CLOSED SYSTEM SHYTE, but even my bias can see the reality.

they are many, Notion ink, Samsung Tab, Motorola etc etc etc, they tout the same features that we all gripe that the iPad does not have, they attempt to bridge the gap, they have recently just acquired a very big piece of the puzzle, a tablet OS (Honeycomb) , yet they lag behind! whilst trying to get honeycomb up to speed, Apple is busy trying to widen the gap further. they are in perpetual catchup mode!

how i detest the fact that apple simply annoys and impresses in equal measure, the iPad 2 is how much of an improvement on original iPad? yet, watch this space for the market figures, they dont lie.

see iv been on the weak end and defending that end like forever, been a linux enthusiast, truth is i know when u behind, u behind. abi ubuntu na windows mate for market? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

good luck to MS and WP7. all these features, hotspot etc etc, ad-Hoc connections whatever, they are stuff the opposition ALREADY HAS, they had a head start, BY THE END OF THE YEAR WHEN WP7 GET ALL THESE AND MORE, THEY WILL HAVE MOVED UP TO BIGGER AND BETTER FEATURES!!!!
am pretty sure by end of the year we will have functional multiprocessor phones, wp7 don reach dual processor support yet? Nokia get dual processor phone now as we speak?

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A THIS OS VERSUS THAT OS DISCUSSION, just in case you think i lean towards one particular os, i particularly love china phone os's grin grin grin grin

please when you respond, do not insult my person, my views may be attacked, else the discussion end there. we are too old for the testosterone bullshit
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by texazzpete(m): 11:41am On Mar 09, 2011
@4llerbuntu
Nice job baiting me. But you'll concede that i expressed

1. Disappointment - meaning i had a higher opinion of your intelligence with respect to what you were posting
2. I accused you of trolling - Deliberately saying inflammatory stuff tongue

So you didn't catch me as well as you thought you did.

Or is this some kind of bait-within-a-bait thingy? Are you getting all Inception on me? You linux barstich!!!

Jokes aside, let's get on to the meat of this discussion

You make the consistent assumption that WP7 is 'playing catch up and will always be behind'. That isn't true. Most of what WP7 plans to implement is the basics that they skipped out in the haste to get the OS out. Things like copy and paste, multitasking and a few other things. As it stands, WP7 already is on par with many of the prime features of both Android and iOS.
At the moment Microsoft is working to fix the basic, without neccessarily neglecting the advanced stuff.

Finally, i showed you that OTA firmware update failures are not a rare occurrence. it's happened to Sony (PS3), Apple (iPhone), Android (EVO 4G) and now with a small fraction of WP7 devices.
I'm still waiting for your post where you inform the world that Google and Android cannot be trusted after their Gmail data loss disaster last week grin
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by moonraker(m): 11:51am On Mar 09, 2011
@ 4llerbuntu

I am sorry bro but at no point did i insult ur person. pls advise

At the end of the day, its a matter of choice on the part of the customer,

And permit me to say but why do i feel that u got a personal beef with the world of windows??

or becos u belong to the linux fan club??

MS has been in the smartphone business long before all the others even existed, they will sort their problems out.

Think of it as Vista to win7/ wm6 to wp7, go figure
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:54am On Mar 09, 2011
@ TEX my oga

texazzpete:

You know, I echo moonraker's comment about being disapointed in your powers of analysis.
Like it or not, Stephen Elop is the CEO of Nokia. He's penned a deal with Microsoft and has been open to the press and shareholders about the terms of the deal. Why will he not do anything to save his 'burning platform'? He is the CEO, after all.
You've clearly made NO ATTEMPT to research this issue between posts. Nokia has said that the Ovi store will be integrated in the Windows Phone 7 marketplace, their maps will go into WP7 (part of the deal made with Microsoft). They've been given carte blanche to make more tweaks and customizations to the core WP7 than other manufacturers. That has been confirmed by statements from Microsoft and Nokia. So what are you talking about?

haha, i said I, ME, 4ll3r, do not believe them! abi. am i not entitled to my belief?

what you fail to take note is that there is some gaps in all these grand promises.  does the deal between MS and Nokia say that eventually Nokia will become sole maker of WP7 running phones? i dunno, i missed that part is thats the case.
if its not, i am coming from the standpoint that Nokia remains an independent company, in direct competition with other phone makers.
they say now that nokia will mod as it likes and add its products into the OS.

and like the question i asked earlier, so is it now a case of Nokia working to improve the OS for its competitors? i guess thats not the right way to look at it but then u must catch my drift. . . . . . . .

again, does that mean companies like HTC will now have to make devices that have softwares with Nokia branding in them, like carry Nokia Maps?

or rather i must be mistaken, and this stuff will all be debranded and adopted by MS as generic products for the platform? who gets the licensing fees?

please clarify, i am labouring under big misconceptions

texazzpete:

I don't understand what you mean by 'first official iteration'. WP7 is not in beta, sorry.
The difference between FroYo and Gingerbread is not massive by any means. I don't know what you're trying to highlight here. SImilarly, iOS 4.2 doesn't add much more value to the iPhone than version 4.1.

MY BAD, I raise up my hands and accept my gaffe!
my problem was i know that the WP7 in its present state lacks a lot of features of its competitors, which features are promised soon (good thing Ms is not owned by the nigerian govt)

so under that misconception, i chose not to do what i consider an unfair side by side comparison with other Os'es
so as not to belabor the point, i can only refer to my initial post above about my views as to playing catch up.

yup, well now that you point out that iOs 4.2 adds little to 4.1, i concur. i take this as an admission, to be stored and used in the future, that you pple just keep deceiving yourselves as apple fanboys grin grin grin grin

anyway, whatever the difference is, i know that WP7 is not at that stage yet!!   jesus is coming soon= WP7 greatest and latest updates is coming soon. hold ur breath and occupy till he arrives

texazzpete:

Note to 4llerbuntu: 'UI' does not mean 'homescreen'. Why are you making this elementary mistake?!
Even if you were targeting the WP7 homescreen, the flat tiles are dynamic and aren't 'plain' by any stretch of the imagination. The minimalist 'metro' design has been hailed as a brilliant alternative to iOS and Android's grid of icons. If you cannot get a WP7 device to use first hand, download and install the free emulator and try it out instead of making comments ignorantly.

ouch!!! that hurt.  cheesy

the slim minimalistic metro design has been hailed as an alternative. . . . . . . . . .

tex, what has happened? i sense a subtle change. . . . . . . .  lets put this in perspective. gnome has been hailed as a brilliant alternative to windows aero theme. so?
is that why i, in my personal subjective world, should think that its better than iOs homescreen/Themes?

i say i dont like the UI or the Homescreen, (and i know the difference, thank you), what gives?  

besides since when did you start batting for the underdog? grin grin grin

texazzpete:

Now i have to conclude that you're trolling. Where were you when Microsoft showed off the upcoming features slated for a fall 2011 update, complete with a massively improved browser, Multitasking, significant OS tweaks for speed, wifi hotspots and others?

Saying symbian v3 looks better is definitely a trollish statement.

do not start with this trolling thing again. puhlease angry angry angry

all these improvements, slated for a fall 2011 update. slated? as in is coming or is here?

at this rate i want to believe you have a direct inlet into all these stuff, and test them out in the comfort of your bedroom. until they come, we dont know if they are better than what we have now, or will be as promised.

what you have said in summary, is that the right time to consider buying a WP7 phone is when all these make it in abi? and not now?

and please, do u even realise how many phones nokia sold with that UI design?   i say it looks better. u dont agree abi? simples.
in my opinion, the design is wacked and nokia will likely change it a lot.

and i repeat, I AM NOT BATTING FOR ANY SIDE, SIMPLY airing my views

bloody apple fanboy
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:07pm On Mar 09, 2011
@ moonraker, nah no ish

as long as you are not a barcelona fan angry angry angry

err, i am not biased to microsoft, really, especially seeing that i still corrupt my hard drives with them at this point wink wink wink
lets just say i tend not to like or trust their practices.

and i have this unfortunate perception that they are a company who feed fat off my foolishness. grin grin
do u know i once believed the great virus scam theory(i still have my suspicions) cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

nah, i dont beef MS, win7 is actually a great product, at its level. ha!

@ tex, well you know naa!! wink wink wink
as for google, im beginning to suspect that they have simply borrowed a leaf from bill.

and they definitely have to do something about their security issues, they just have to!

well, the becoming big now, and becoming a target, it comes with the turf. what they need to do is learn from those preceding them and not fall into the mistake of having this type of scandals about security.

truth be told, i am deeply pained that Nokia dropped Meego!
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by moonraker(m): 9:06am On Mar 10, 2011
@ 4llerbuntu

Ok noted, But got to think of it, let take a trip down memory lane when we only had the cellular phones

then those evolved into mobile phones and then smart phones. Lets ask ourselves, what was the concept

behind the word SMART PHONE?? i can only imagine that its was or is suppose to be better than the older

tech and is suppose to do more. without having to press to many buttons?? (In a nutshell SIMPLICITY).

Now somehow i suspect that the linux all geeky thingy is getting to u to the extent that it may be affecting your

thinking?? just saying!!!
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:02am On Mar 11, 2011
^^^^^^
ROTFLMAO grin grin grin grin grin grin

what have i been doing on nl? someborry save me oooooo

1st big misconception, 4ll3r=linux guru/geek

bros if only u knew o, i am a bush boi from somewhere with little or no knowledge o, maybe when u realize that u then see why i yarn so much dust and opata

simplicity, hmmn well depends, are u saying wp7 is simpler to use? i have had pple say same about windows too, i didn't agree, still dont.

im thinking, this discussion is premature, december 2011 would be a better time to have this discussion?

that said, whats ur take on the mess called desktop environments in ubuntu linux now--- ps, u have to move to the proper thread
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by moonraker(m): 5:57am On Mar 11, 2011
@ 4llerbuntu

4llerbuntu 4llerbuntu 4llerbuntuuuuuuuuuuuu

How many times did i call your name??

Ok we will wait for december 2011 then. Wp7 isnt the most simple OS but its simple.

With regards to your question abt Desktop Environments In Ubuntu, erm pls show me were to post and

i will tell u what i really think. In the Interim, This is what i did say, i am not in anyway against the whole

linux thingy. as a matter of fact, i have a PC that runs redhat that inturns connect to the server back at the

office that also runs redhat. The only issue i have is that if feel that the end users shdnt have to crack their

brains to use an OS. its shd be simple, navigateable and have top notch support which btw Linux isnt there yet.

Now, let me give u a peek of what i think (Sorry cant hold myself). I am very glad or shd i say impressed that one

can run KDE environment now on a ubuntu Install. i am also blown away by Gnome 3. will stop here now before i

become a derail the thread,

Thumbs up bro, u knw ur stuff
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by texazzpete(m): 7:13am On Mar 11, 2011
4llerbuntu:

Perhaps you could ask Google/Motorola the same question. Xoom Android Honeycomb users are being pushed an update to prepare for the upcoming update that will add Flash 10.2.
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:01am On Mar 12, 2011
@ tex, like i said earlier, google seem to have bought a nmanual from bill, and bent on executing it as well as they can grin grin grin grin

@ moonraker, ubuntu linux thread, computer section
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by texazzpete(m): 10:35am On Mar 12, 2011
4llerbuntu:

@ tex, like i said earlier, google seem to have bought a nmanual from bill, and bent on executing it as well as they can grin grin grin grin

What bill? Steve, you mean.

Abeg even the most virulent Linux fanboys now recognise how Bill has moved on to another level of goodness. Leave the man jo! Besides, it's much easier to poke fun at sweaty Ballmer.
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:16pm On Mar 12, 2011
steve bawo? bill remains the top gun, wetin ballmer sabi? hehehehehehe.

but really, google is gradually going down the path of hegemony. annoying
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by angelland: 2:48pm On Mar 13, 2011
@4llerbuntu
You posted in this thread https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-577390.0.html that you have full Windows Xp os installed on your Nokia N900. Pls how did you achieve that?
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:53am On Mar 15, 2011
angelland:

@4llerbuntu
You posted in this thread https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-577390.0.html that you have full Windows Xp os installed on your Nokia N900. Pls how did you achieve that?

straight up forget the idea. it was a concept thing and will brick ur phone in 5 mins max. it had limited functionality and the hardware simply cannot run it, but it did boot, took all of 25 minutes and half the battery.

u achieve that using the emulators in the repos, with some hacks which i cannot remember now. i got them on a blackhat site then.

what works just fine is ubuntu with lxde desktop. grin
Re: Windows Phone 7: The Debacle Starts? by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:01am On Mar 15, 2011
or rather debian, with lxde desktop and ubuntu repos.

NB the os installs were done on the SDHC card and the phone manipulated to run off the card, suffice to say, i had to flash the damn phone to get it to work again

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone / How-to: Lollipop Rom For Infinix Zero / Carlcare Smart Solutions For Tecno, Infinix And Itel Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.