Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,928 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? (20122 Views)

Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines / When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. / ***hello House! Which Is Better? A Petrol Or A Diesel Engine Car/suv*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by nigeriancuban: 6:57pm On Dec 29, 2015
may e one should port to diesel powered chicks now...what do ya think?
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by generator404(f): 7:09am On Oct 21, 2017
I think the diesel engine is more preferred, not only in Nigeria but all around the world.

PRO: Diesels get great mileage. They typically deliver 25 to 30 percent better fuel economy than similarly performing gasoline engines. Diesels also can deliver as much or more fuel economy than traditional gasoline-electric hybrids, depending on the models involved and whatever rapidly developing automotive technology achieves.

CON: Although diesel fuel used to be cheaper than gasoline, it now often costs the same amount or more. Diesel fuel is also used for commercial trucks, home and industrial generators, and heating oil, so as demand for diesel passenger vehicles grows, the price of diesel fuel is likely to continue to rise because of competition from those other users.

Even if the price goes up, diesel fuel would have to be 25 to 30 percent more expensive than gas to erase the cost advantage of a diesel engine’s greater fuel efficiency.

PRO: Diesel fuel is one of the most efficient and energy dense fuels available today. Because it contains more usable energy than gasoline, it delivers better fuel economy.

CON: Although diesel fuel is considered more efficient because it converts heat into energy rather than sending the heat out the tailpipe as gas-powered vehicles do, it doesn’t result in flashy high-speed performance. In some ways, a gasoline-powered engine is like a racehorse — high-strung, fiery, and fast — whereas a diesel engine is more like a workhorse — slower, stronger, and more enduring.

I have a 6k propane generator, lasts about 4 hours on a 20lb tank, but since propane is for ever I plan on getting a large tank installed and feeding my dryer, generator and stove from the one tank.

I'm happy with mine. how ever it's important to remember that power from propane will cost you double the cost of power from diesel fuel as propane has a lot less "energy" when compared to diesel.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by AcquireCofOLand(m): 9:12am On Oct 21, 2017
Thank you for this!
As much as you do some kinds of investment, I'll also advise we do real estate property investments too. You'll always get it right here because it keeps appreciating, especially in some good locations that is guaranteed fast appreciation and high ROI like Ibeju-Lekki and Ajah. We have as cheap as N700k on promo that ends this October in this Ibeju-Lekki axis with all relevant paper based on current status. A particular land in Ibeju-Lekki that my clients bought 3 plots from around This year March @N700k is presently N2.5m. You don't want to ask me his cone such appreciation. Well, that's why the rich are getting richer. Rover Kiyosaki and Donald do a lot if Real Estate and they became billionaires through this. They jeep advising those who gave the means and have privilege of such info as this to do this more often to guarantee a comfortable future for our family. It may surprise you to know that many in diaspora are l accumulating a lot of this. Check my signature for More details sir.
Call 08 0 3 41137 71, WhatsApp 08 0 2 739 0046

generator404:
I think the diesel engine is more preferred, not only in Nigeria but all around the world.

PRO: Diesels get great mileage. They typically deliver 25 to 30 percent better fuel economy than similarly performing gasoline engines. Diesels also can deliver as much or more fuel economy than traditional gasoline-electric hybrids, depending on the models involved and whatever rapidly developing automotive technology achieves.

CON: Although diesel fuel used to be cheaper than gasoline, it now often costs the same amount or more. Diesel fuel is also used for commercial trucks, home and industrial generators, and heating oil, so as demand for diesel passenger vehicles grows, the price of diesel fuel is likely to continue to rise because of competition from those other users.

Even if the price goes up, diesel fuel would have to be 25 to 30 percent more expensive than gas to erase the cost advantage of a diesel engine’s greater fuel efficiency.

PRO: Diesel fuel is one of the most efficient and energy dense fuels available today. Because it contains more usable energy than gasoline, it delivers better fuel economy.

CON: Although diesel fuel is considered more efficient because it converts heat into energy rather than sending the heat out the tailpipe as gas-powered vehicles do, it doesn’t result in flashy high-speed performance. In some ways, a gasoline-powered engine is like a racehorse — high-strung, fiery, and fast — whereas a diesel engine is more like a workhorse — slower, stronger, and more enduring.

I have a 6k propane generator, lasts about 4 hours on a 20lb tank, but since propane is for ever I plan on getting a large tank installed and feeding my dryer, generator and stove from the one tank.

I'm happy with mine. how ever it's important to remember that power from propane will cost you double the cost of power from diesel fuel as propane has a lot less "energy" when compared to diesel.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by iaatmguy(m): 10:43am On Dec 14, 2017

I could procure alternative fuels to run a diesel engine. Diesel fuel could be made readily available. The price of diesel could be lowered, to mirror the cost of petrol.

It'll still be a pointless exercise, if Nigerian mechanics do their best to dissuade prospective buyers of diesel-engined cars from buying them. As I posted above, a diesel engine requires less maintenance than a petrol one, and it's pretty easy for the average user to get to grips with. If one has to rely on a mechanic 100%, they'll be stuck, be it a petrol or diesel engine. When diesel was a lot cheaper, circa 1995, petrol was still the fuel of choice in Nigeria.

Out of interest, how does market produce, department store stock, fuel etc get delivered? Because, I doubt an 18-wheeler rig runs on petrol. The average family in Nigeria runs more than one car, one could well be a diesel, that way you're not 100% reliant on diesel, if the price and avavailabilitys an issue. The better mpg achieved with a diesel engine will surely offset the cost premium over petrol, especially if you do a lot of travelling between states or cities. The lower maintenance costs too will help.

I ran a 2001 Audi A6 2,5 TDI for 2 years, and seldom ran it on regular diesel. I used to collect used cooking oil from bakeries, fast-food joints in 25-litre drums, strain it, and use it in my car. Sometimes, I would blend 7 litres of diesel with 35 litres of used cooking fat. Lovely and free!
thats interesting, am planning to get a diesel engine, could you please school me on the cooking oil stuff?
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by iaatmguy(m): 4:16pm On Dec 14, 2017
ivoryhouse:
Diesel engines are not as complicated as most Nigerians think, well, I have issues with popular opinions as they are not always thought through. Heavy suvs are best diesel run as their petrol options may be guzzlers. Good topic.
that depends if one has a good mechanic. do you have one ?
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by weyreypey: 9:19pm On Jul 27, 2019
Interesting read
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by weyreypey: 7:10pm On Jul 28, 2019
iaatmguy:
thats interesting, am planning to get a diesel engine, could you please school me on the cooking oil stuff?
How far with the diesel car
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by weyreypey: 7:32pm On Jul 28, 2019
Do youruote author=wirinet post=7903325]I can understand your passion for diesel engines but you are letting your passions get the better of you as you are deaf to other peoples superior arguments against your beloved diesel engines. Many people have told you that it makes no sense to drive a diesel powered private car or even small urban commercial cars in Nigerian cities – especially lagos, where you burn more fuel in traffic than in actual miles travelled.

Diesel in Nigeria is deregulated, which means it can cost anywhere between N110 to N150 and you are not sure of its availability. You can by it at N120/litre today and go back to the same station the next day and you are told it is N150/litre. Means while petrol is fairly stable at N65/litre and it is available everywhere.
Diesel is at best 25% more efficient than petrol in terms of miles/litre. So it makes no sense at all to run on diesel when it cost over 100% more.
The option of using used cooking oil is laughable simply because Nigerians hardly discard cooking oil. They use it again and again until it used and top up with fresh oil when the old oil is very low in volume. Yes we all know that frying food again and again with the same oil has negative health implications, but at over N600/litre of cooking oil, they simply forget. Same with Palm oil, it is currently more that N600/litre also. If you plan to operate your car on used palm or vegetable oils, you will not drive very far.

Using rapeseed or any other seed to produce oil is also unreasonable from so many angles. We have millions of tones of palm kernel seed rotting away simply because we do possess efficient, cultivation, extraction and transportation system, and you think we would be better cultivating and extracting rapeseed oil for engines.
I quarrel with the idea of using cultivatable land for fuel when we are still unable to grow our own food and have to depend on other countries to feed us.

In terms of fossil fuels, we have more than enough gas and crude oil to cater for all our and engines and probable those of West Africa and beyond for at least 50yrs. We should exploit that to the fullest before turning our agricultural lands to growing fuels.

Finally remember that even the processing of oils from seed would involve the use of fossil fuel in one form or the other.
[/quote]

Do your arguments still hold in 2019?
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:47pm On Jan 10, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Turkmenistan President Bans All Black Cars From Country’s Capital / Nissan And Stallion Nigeria Sign Assembly Deal / Car Servicing Interval (Engine Oil)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.