Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,412 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:07 AM

What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? (20115 Views)

Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines / When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. / ***hello House! Which Is Better? A Petrol Or A Diesel Engine Car/suv*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by obua: 7:55pm On Mar 08, 2011
Any body who has used a diesel vehicle in naija will appreciate a diesel vehicle.
The best way to reduce our over dependence on petrol is to free the price so that people will try other options.
Yeah, we have few good diesel mechanics, we actually have fewer good" modern "petrol engine mechanics.
Forget the fact that they get our engines working but at what cost ?
Vehicles designed to give 40mpg on the highway give 25mpg due to faulty repairs and poor quality petrol
I have used a diesel Vboot 200D and petrol 200 carb V boot. A 300 km journey in the diesel vboot will take about 12litres, while the petrol engined vboot will take about 40 litres. Diesel engine vehicles even give better mpg when they have used for long distance trips.For example -PHC to Owerri takes like 6.5l, while coming back same day will take like 4 litres.
Petrol cost is N2600 ( 65/l) while diesel then cost 100/l making it N1400. Even if diesel costs 200/l it is still better. mind you petrol price is controlled by the goverment. When the price is freed after the elections , Nigerians will look beyond petrol like the Americans are doing now.
About 70% of all private cars in Europe are diesel engine.
Diesel engine is much more efficient than petrol engine.
I have used diesel Golf 2, Passat TDI, 1996 Pajero with 2800 TD, 1996 V6 petrol Pajero- petrol guzzler.
Have used 1993 Nissan Patrol with TD42 and RD28T engines.They are smooth and fast. Try a Nissan Patrol with RB 42 petrol engine.
With that I was going to the fuel station every 3 days even with the 95 litre capacity tank.
The cheapest car to drive fuel wise is TDI engined VW passat, Golf, Jetta.
Try it and you will never use a petrol engine engine again.
My fear about the diesel engine is this switch to electronic injectors ie the Common rail direct fuel injection
I am not happy that the last 3 generations of Toyota Camry do not use diesel engines.
Sienna Pls you must open workshops in Nigeria
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by obua: 8:05pm On Mar 08, 2011
Actually most car makers have diesel engine option. Only Honda resisted until a few years ago.
VW, Peugeot and Toyota are the leaders.
The biggest problem with diesel engine usage in naija are as follows
1. to many quack mechanics
2. poor diesel engine use know how
3. water in diesel
4. bad engine oil

I used my diesel engine vboot for 6 years without a trip to the mechanic. Did all servicing my self. Changed secondary diesel filters monthly( cost N100 only) The week I gave it out to my drivers, I started hearing battery problem. This was caused by not allowing the heater plug go off before starting.
This drains the battery and starves the injectors of diesel and then starting problems start.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Mar 08, 2011
Thanks for your write-up, Brother Obua. I have learnt a lot from the Nigerian perspective, in terms of Automobile use.

As per opening a comprehensive Service, Diagnostic, and Performance Autocentre in Nigeria, I have been looking into this for quite a while, and it may still happen. Much will depend on what the average Nigerian end-user wants, and is willing to pay for a none-corner-cutting service.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by mastro: 8:19pm On Mar 08, 2011

But, can't we be serious for once, at least in this section?

Well someone above gave a pretty good breakdown as to why currently a petrol car is cheaper to run in Nigeria today.
diesel sells for N145! Thats N9860 to till my tank with 68 litres. For Petrol I would spend only N4420. Thats about N5000 difference a week (I fill every week), and about N18000 a month

I've run both petrol & diesel cars and like for like the diesel was saving maybe 25% per quantity, (2.0Tdi VW and 325i BMW so not an exact match, and I miss the silky smooth BMW)  diesel is N150 per litre in Abuja currently so the difference in cost is even greater, it's simply a non starter, especially taking into account that diesel cars are more expensive to buy, and will have a lower resale value in Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by obua: 10:06pm On Mar 08, 2011
I had  funny experiences when I bought my 200D vboot in 2000.

1.   Washed the engine area and started experiencing  difficulty in stopping the engine after the engine is switched off. Tried a few mechanics  without result. Did a search on the www , then was able to trace the loose  vacuum hose but before then, was using the stop engine lever  on the inlet manifold area. So as I plugged back the hose , my engine  not stopping( dieseling) after putting the ignition stopped.
2. Could not get the write type of oil filter . The MB 200D engine is 601 model, but most dealers  stocked the longer filter for the MB  602/603 engines which are long. For some months I was actually washing the filters in petrol and reusing them.
3.  As I was doing the servicing my self, I would change the diesel filter (primary/secondary) 2monthly/monthly and then change the oil filter  3-5 months interval.  I did not know how to bleed the injectors so once I finish changing the diesel filter,(to avoid gas cutting) I will press down the throttle until the air gap in the diesel line was closed , then I will leave the engine to idle.
One day I had to change both oil/diesel  filters  at once. Because the oil has to circulate I could not fire the stationary car on full throttle, so the gas  cutting thing started and the car refused to start.  I took  batteries from other cars and still no success. I called the first mechanics and he said I had to pay him  8k to loose the injection pump and then another 6 k  to service it.
I was really mad at him cause I had been exposed to diesel generators, so I knew that injector pump loosing was no big job.
I called my petrol car mechanics and he towed the car out and brought it back and he was 5k richer and I was happy. He refused to answer all my questions about what he actually did. That is the attitude of many Nigeria low Schooled Techies
So I went back to old regime  of staggered servicing.
Later I was tempted to try complete service again.
By then I had done more research, so I was able to solve the problem by bleeding the nozzles while someone else tried starting the engine.
4. I was able to manage the fuel crisis of that era by  stocking diesel at home . At a time  I had about 10     20l kegs of diesel  stored  at home.
This was possible because diesel can be safely store at home.
5. Tried the  bio diesel fad, but could not get much of it in good quantity.
6. When the price of diesel went up to N150/l  in 2006-2008 , some bad guys started mixing diesel with gas condensate. lots of diesel engined cars and generators were damaged. Infact my neighbour  had  a major fire incident in his "diesel tank" house.

7. Right now I am thinking of going for a 2003 diesel Toyota corolla ( — 1CD-FTV — 2.0 L (1995 cc) I4 diesel, 16-valve DOHC, turbocharged, D-4D, 114 hp (85 kW) engine) and   2003  Toyota Land Cruiser with the  engine 4.2 L I6 1HD-T diesel turbo
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Mar 08, 2011
^^^ cool
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by proo212(m): 12:24am On Mar 09, 2011
Hey Siena,

Audi says not to use Biodiesel in 3.0TDi engine. Have any reasons why they say that? In Germany, E10 was introduced at the pumps but nobody bought it now they're being taken off. I would suppose that E10 would have been tested to guarantee compatibility with petrol engines before being introduced at the pumps. But hey if people vote with their feet I guess the marketers will have to respond.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by jpphilips(m): 12:53am On Mar 09, 2011
[b]@ sienna

its ironical referencing Nigeria while you give inferences that are not obtainable in Naija.
mathematically, the extra mpg is an acceptable loss for every average Nigerian truth be told, u made mention of maintenance, that is not totally correct for an average Nigerian.
Alternative fuel, u re kidding me.
Why will i drive a vehicle that will take me weeks to fix? where is the convenience?
if you check the price of DPK vs PMS (150 vs 65) then you will agree with me you are not saving anything, much less the inconvenience of sourcing for a product that for years was monopolized by a few individuals.
do u know that 70% of hilux trucks in naija are still diesel powered?
100% of heavy duty engines are diesel powered , trucks and equipments, but you don't have the least inkling what those people pass through.

simple economics tells you that cost, availability and convenience is the onus of opportunity cost, i don't see where DPK fulfill the above better than PMS in naija.
lastly, why will i scout for spent oil when i can get a liter of PMS at 65bucks just in front of my gate just to drive the same vehicle which has pms option? trust me it defyies all sane factors of choice grin grin [/b]
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by inspiredm(m): 10:13am On Mar 09, 2011
Bump
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by yek: 1:56pm On Mar 09, 2011
@ jp phil,
u mean AGO (not DPK) ,
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by jpphilips(m): 5:43pm On Mar 11, 2011
@ yek

thanks, guess i was referring to kero, of course you wont blame me much cos ive not seen the both in a long while grin grin grin
dead country
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by wirinet(m): 7:11pm On Mar 13, 2011
I can understand your passion for diesel engines but you are letting your passions get the better of you as you are deaf to other peoples superior arguments against your beloved diesel engines. Many people have told you that it makes no sense to drive a diesel powered private car or even small urban commercial cars in Nigerian cities – especially lagos, where you burn more fuel in traffic than in actual miles travelled.

Diesel in Nigeria is deregulated, which means it can cost anywhere between N110 to N150 and you are not sure of its availability. You can by it at N120/litre today and go back to the same station the next day and you are told it is N150/litre. Means while petrol is fairly stable at N65/litre and it is available everywhere.
Diesel is at best 25% more efficient than petrol in terms of miles/litre. So it makes no sense at all to run on diesel when it cost over 100% more.
The option of using used cooking oil is laughable simply because Nigerians hardly discard cooking oil. They use it again and again until it used and top up with fresh oil when the old oil is very low in volume. Yes we all know that frying food again and again with the same oil has negative health implications, but at over N600/litre of cooking oil, they simply forget. Same with Palm oil, it is currently more that N600/litre also. If you plan to operate your car on used palm or vegetable oils, you will not drive very far.

Using rapeseed or any other seed to produce oil is also unreasonable from so many angles. We have millions of tones of palm kernel seed rotting away simply because we do possess efficient, cultivation, extraction and transportation system, and you think we would be better cultivating and extracting rapeseed oil for engines.
I quarrel with the idea of using cultivatable land for fuel when we are still unable to grow our own food and have to depend on other countries to feed us.

In terms of fossil fuels, we have more than enough gas and crude oil to cater for all our and engines and probable those of West Africa and beyond for at least 50yrs. We should exploit that to the fullest before turning our agricultural lands to growing fuels.

Finally remember that even the processing of oils from seed would involve the use of fossil fuel in one form or the other.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by oYaTo(m): 10:42am On Mar 22, 2011
mastro:

I can just see it,
Husband: Darling here are the keys for a 2008 GL450 CDI, for your 40th birthday, happy birthday to you etc etc
Wife: My one and only, kiss kiss etc etc, calling all my friends to tell them how much you love me

week later

Wife: Darling I need some money to buy fuel.
Husband: No you don't, didn't we eat dodo last night, pour the oil inside my dear, if it's not enough call round your friends and ask for their left over frying oil
Wife: Oti O, see my mother warned me not to marry you, me I should be driving Dodo powered GL, it's a lie O!

Husband: give me the key jo, I will sort it out,
goes to Mr Biggs,
Husband: youngman, bring out all your old frying oil, I will pay you N100 a litre.
Youngman: Ok sir, 1 min
Young man goes round the back, hmm he thinks there is only 5 litres here, adds 15 litres of water, 2 litres of old engine oil, mixes together

Youngman: Oga here you go
Husband: Ok here is N2500, well done, fills tank, on way home engine stalls on 3rd mainland bridge, damm he says where's Siena's number tongue

LMAO grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by gabng(m): 12:48pm On Mar 29, 2011
@ All
Mordern diesel engines are a beauty to behold. Both in performance & durability.

For any intrested (sorry siena for the advert) i currently have a brand new Armoured ( B6 ) 2010 Toyota Landcruiser VD V8 4.0 Twin Turbo Diesel. At a price of 24M its 8M - 10M cheaper than its petrol equivalent.

With a full tank, one can do Lagos to Abuja with some liters to spare.

Without poping the bonnet you wont know its a diesel.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by mastro: 6:40am On Apr 16, 2011
Went to buy diesel yesterday for my Gen, N170!!! in Abuja.
Does anyone know of any bulk suppliers and how much they charge for say 500 litres
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by oblo(m): 7:25am On Apr 16, 2011
Hmmm I think with these arguments I would be tempted to change my golf 3 1.8ltr car to a Volvo V40 diesel . Sienna, what say you? Pls advise. I have to do a switch in the next two weeks or so. Or any other options you mite have in that same range?
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by mastro: 9:09am On Apr 16, 2011
Hmmm I think with these arguments I would be tempted to change my golf 3 1.8ltr car to a Volvo V40 diesel . Sienna, what say you? Pls advise. I have to do a switch in the next two weeks or so. Or any other options you mite have in that same range?

What country are you in? If Nigeria what part of paying 3 times the price for a 20% saving is most appealing to you? grin
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 9:12am On Apr 16, 2011
oblo:

I would go for a turbo diesel, if you can stretch to the initial cost of diesel. Much will also depend on how many miles you do per annum. If over 12,000, then a diesel is viable. If you're just going to do short, infrequent trips, then I would advice you stick to a petrol-engined model.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by niva77: 11:51am On Apr 19, 2011
Sienna,
ur topic bout wat engine one prefers has reall impressed me,i hav read thru the pros and cons of ppl here and still find the diesel engine as a good one.like i told u yesterday i saw a golf 3 tdi 1.9, and with all what u hav said for the diesel engine i really am looking towards it.the downside is just to get a good mechanic that can handle the servicing et all.i reside in owerri.told my mechanic to scout around for if he can get a good diesel engine mechanic before i finally pay for it.hope i am doing the right thing.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 6:54am On May 12, 2011
^^^ Yes, locating a good diesel tech, before you make your purchase is a good idea.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by obiflex: 8:14pm On Jul 25, 2011
@Sienna
siena pls i need ur help urgently! I own a vw transporter t4 diesel. Bought it in dec. 2010. The engine was really sound @ the time. had a breakdown since march and ever since its been useless to me. I've spent every thing i have on repairs but it can complete a 20 minute journey without packing up. Pls tell me what to do. I use this vehicle 4 transport biz and right now its just sitting idle, i can't even sell it cos no one wants to buy it!
My email: obi_flex@yahoo.co.uk
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by frankfrank(m): 10:47pm On Jul 26, 2011
@Siena pls can I have ur email and what area are in London? I need your advice, regarding my Audi. Thanks
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by mastro: 1:31pm On Jan 03, 2012
I here below wish to apologise,

my misguided advice that Diesel cars were not practical on cost grounds did not take into account that we would elect a leader who would feel that punishing the masses is a good way to govern, how was I to know that the idiots in charge do not care about the multiplier effect of increasing the only benefit govt provides to most Nigerians angry
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jan 03, 2012
frankfrank:

@Siena pls can I have your email and what area are in London? I need your advice, regarding my Audi. Thanks

Sorry, I've only just spotted this. My email is siena_@hotmail.co.uk
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by infolpf: 12:49pm On Sep 19, 2012
Right, so given the partial removal of the "fuel subsidy" and the imminent complete removal, may I suggest that this thread be restarted? The cost issue is now moot, not only does petrol now carry a retail price of N97 in large cities, it is actually N140 in most parts of Nigeria! In addition, there seems to be an improvement in the power situation, which could logically lead to a reduction in diesel prices from its current N97 (at least at Forte Oil, Falomo)! Also, long petrol lines at gas stations is now a common sight, with constant threats of NUPENG strikes.

Now what do the experts have to say about the original debate? I am really keen on this thread as I am considering a VW Toureg TDI. My only hesitation comes from a niggling concern about travelling long distance with a diesel powered vehicle - how do I guarantee the availability of diesel when needed on a drive from Lagos to Abuja, for instance? Perhaps carry gallons of cooking oil? That is a more appealing thought than gallons of diesel in my trunk...

BTW, who in the world came up with the the stupid nomenclature - PMS, AGO etc? Just plain silly, lazy and non-intuitive. Whatever happened to just simple petrol / gas, kerosene, diesel etc? Those are just as easily abbreviated, if needed.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Ikenna351(m): 5:35pm On Sep 19, 2012
info@lpf:
Right, so given the partial removal of the "fuel subsidy" and the imminent complete removal, may I suggest that this thread be restarted? The cost issue is now moot, not only does petrol now carry a retail price of N97 in large cities, it is actually N140 in most parts of Nigeria! In addition, there seems to be an improvement in the power situation, which could logically lead to a reduction in diesel prices from its current N97 (at least at Forte Oil, Falomo)! Also, long petrol lines at gas stations is now a common sight, with constant threats of NUPENG strikes.

Now what do the experts have to say about the original debate? I am really keen on this thread as I am considering a VW Toureg TDI. My only hesitation comes from a niggling concern about travelling long distance with a diesel powered vehicle - how do I guarantee the availability of diesel when needed on a drive from Lagos to Abuja, for instance? Perhaps carry gallons of cooking oil? That is a more appealing thought than gallons of diesel in my trunk...

BTW, who in the world came up with the the stupid nomenclature - PMS, AGO etc? Just plain silly, lazy and non-intuitive. Whatever happened to just simple petrol / gas, kerosene, diesel etc? Those are just as easily abbreviated, if needed.

Go through page 1 of this thread below first:

https://www.nairaland.com/973041/peugeot-406-ew10-engine-against/1#12039358

Ikenna.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Ikenna351(m): 11:37am On Sep 20, 2012
@ info@lpf,

A Diesel engine gives more torque at lower rpm, extending the lifespan of the engine, since the more torque an engine has, the longer the life of the engine. Why? Because you don't have to rev a diesel engine up high to perform at it's peak. It produces high engine torque at low rev (good for city driving), the same with a short stroke petrol engine.

Diesel engines are expensive to manufacture and are expensive to rebuild, compared to petrol engines. But they are simple to fix. No electrics headache, which have become nightmares for newer petrol engine powered car owners. You have no sensor wahala to worry about. Because of the heavy weight of diesel engines and the nature of work they do, their engine mounts are stronger and more durable than the petrol ones. But very expensive to purchase or replace, when they finally give up.

Yes, Diesel engines dont have spark plugs and distributors, for the ones i know. But they do have glow plugs. The glow plugs last longer than the sparks plugs of the petrol engine. But the glow plugs are quite expensive to purchase, compared to cheap spark plugs. Anyone can replace a spark plug in a petrol engine. But removing glow plugs from a diesel engine is something you wont find interresting, if you succeed in removing it, anyway.

You get to enjoy less electric headaches with diesels. But God help you if air gets trapped in the fuel system. Bleeding the air out of the system is doable, as long as you dont mind the sweet smell of the diesel. Hard starting and stalling are symptoms of air in the fuel system of diesel cars. I dont know about the trucks.

Diesel engines last longer than you could ever imagine. Damn durable than the petrol engines. But cost fortune to rebuild if it dies, when not properly taken care of. Sometimes, its cheaper to simply replace the failed engine with another, which is also expensive to purchase, if are lucky to find one.

Since you are considering VW Toureg TDI, I would advice you conduct search on parts availability and knowledgeable mechanic on car/SUV diesels availability where you stay. If you stay in Abuja, I would advice you check the Berger office at Utako. Berger company uses only VW Golf TDI for the company cars. Findout where they repair theirs in Abuja. Though, its possible they will have company mechanics that take care of that. But you never know.

To learn more of Diesel disadvantages (sort of biased), read this: http://www.dogandlemon.com/articles/diesels

For a fair review of Diesel vs Petrol engine, read this: http://www.howtoanswer.com/difference-between-gas-and-diesel-engines-advantages-and-disadvantages--16.html

I would go for a Peugeot phase II 406 HDI 2.0 for a daily driver, if I have my way. It makes sense to fill a tank and not bother to visit fuel stations for the next 2 months of driving. Diagnosing and fixing it wont be an issue for me. 3 months of ownership, is enough to be an expert on diesel engines or cars, not just the Peugeot HDI's. Because am very good at studying every bit of a car system i own: what ticks and what makes what ticks in a car or an engine. The Talent is there, I cant help it!

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Sequoia(m): 3:13pm On Oct 03, 2012
@Sienna,

This has been pretty informative.

What kind of alternative oils can be used and what how should they be mixed?
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by omanzo02: 11:08am On Aug 25, 2014
holydante: Given all the valuable learning curves you all pointed out here, i just want to point out that we bought 33,000 ltrs of diesel last week for our use @ N141, and reliable information has it that its heading to N15o.

150NGN (0.75€) for diesel is still a fair price compare to 1.40€ I buy in Europe, so I could run my diesel care, my fear is if the diesel is a better quality.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by ivoryhouse(m): 1:22am On Aug 26, 2014
Diesel engines are not as complicated as most Nigerians think, well, I have issues with popular opinions as they are not always thought through. Heavy suvs are best diesel run as their petrol options may be guzzlers. Good topic.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 5:39am On Aug 27, 2014
obua:  I had  funny experiences when I bought my 200D vboot in 2000.

1.   Washed the engine area and started experiencing  difficulty in stopping the engine after the engine is switched off. Tried a few mechanics  without result. Did a search on the www , then was able to trace the loose  vacuum hose but before then, was using the stop engine lever  on the inlet manifold area. So as I plugged back the hose , my engine  not stopping( dieseling) after putting the ignition stopped.
2. Could not get the write type of oil filter . The MB 200D engine is 601 model, but most dealers  stocked the longer filter for the MB  602/603 engines which are long. For some months I was actually washing the filters in petrol and reusing them.
3.  As I was doing the servicing my self, I would change the diesel filter (primary/secondary) 2monthly/monthly and then change the oil filter  3-5 months interval.  I did not know how to bleed the injectors so once I finish changing the diesel filter,(to avoid gas cutting) I will press down the throttle until the air gap in the diesel line was closed , then I will leave the engine to idle.
One day I had to change both oil/diesel  filters  at once. Because the oil has to circulate I could not fire the stationary car on full throttle, so the gas  cutting thing started and the car refused to start.  I took  batteries from other cars and still no success. I called the first mechanics and he said I had to pay him  8k to loose the injection pump and then another 6 k  to service it.
I was really mad at him cause I had been exposed to diesel generators, so I knew that injector pump loosing was no big job.
I called my petrol car mechanics and he towed the car out and brought it back and he was 5k richer and I was happy. He refused to answer all my questions about what he actually did. That is the attitude of many Nigeria low Schooled Techies
So I went back to old regime  of staggered servicing.
Later I was tempted to try complete service again.
By then I had done more research, so I was able to solve the problem by bleeding the nozzles while someone else tried starting the engine.
4. I was able to manage the fuel crisis of that era by  stocking diesel at home . At a time  I had about 10     20l kegs of diesel  stored  at home.
This was possible because diesel can be safely store at home.

5. Tried the  bio diesel fad, but could not get much of it in good quantity.
6. When the price of diesel went up to N150/l  in 2006-2008 , some bad guys started mixing diesel with gas condensate. lots of diesel engined cars and generators were damaged. Infact my neighbour  had  a major fire incident in his "diesel tank" house.

7. Right now I am thinking of going for a 2003 diesel Toyota corolla ( — 1CD-FTV — 2.0 L (1995 cc) I4 diesel, 16-valve DOHC, turbocharged, D-4D, 114 hp (85 kW) engine) and   2003  Toyota Land Cruiser with the  engine 4.2 L I6 1HD-T diesel turbo

"How should I store diesel and what quantity am I allowed?
There are no specific legal requirements on how to store diesel or the quantity allowed either in workplaces or domestic premises. It is not, from a health and safety point of view, a particularly hazardous substance within the meaning of the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 - its vapour flash point is too high. This means that its vapour will not ignite at normal room temperatures.

That said, there are some general issues you'll need to take into account:

no 'hotwork' should be performed on the vessel unless it is emptied and purged of any remaining vapour.
the drum should be positioned away from any source of direct heat.
the drum should be located in an area where there is no risk of collision with vehicles, fork-lift trucks etc. (diesel splashing onto a hot engine will probably ignite).
leaks and spills should be contained to the vicinity of the drum and mopped up quickly, to lessen the risk of slipping.
refilling and dispensing activities need to take account of manual handling issues etc.
While diesel is not a particularly dangerous substance from a health and safety point of view, it is an environmental hazard, with considerable clean-up costs if it should leak into a drain, watercourse or the soil. You may, therefore, wish to contact the Environment Agency for further information."

You should reconsider this choice.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car / Car Servicing Interval (Engine Oil) / Turkmenistan President Bans All Black Cars From Country’s Capital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.