Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer (2133 Views)

Change In Engine Rave After Battery Replacement / What Happen When Fuel Is Poured Into Plug Hole In Engine Section Of A Car? / Reasons You Always Have Engine Oil Shortage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by timenamoney: 7:01pm On Oct 13, 2020
I am here to learn and to share my thoughts and experience

many in various trends are saying our ambient +43 degree temps don't matter and have no effect on oil, that car with radiator regulates engine temperature and also help to bring the engine oil up to operating Temp 100 degree through the help of the themostat , asking if our weather is hotter than engine temperature 100deg

there's is also a clear statement by oil manufacturer saying in 5w30 , 5w is the low temperature weight while 30w is the oil weight in 100 degree , which is also the engine coolant temp range,

on different occasions during summer , you find out that oil temperature gauge move above 100 degree , (which they claim the oil get to 30w at operating Temp) to +44 ,+46 and above .

my question is....

1)what viscosity will 30w oil be in 106 degree engine oil temperature during summer ? ( = it will be lower than 30w VISCOSITY which will not lubricate the engine properly and course more wear and tear).

2) why does engine manufacturer display ambient temperature oil chart which shows that 30w arrows to +38 degree and BELOW , when they know that it is suitable for ALL temperature?

with the above ideology I wish to prove to you that 40w mostly or 50w oils may be the best choice for +44 or higher temperature and severe load condition, and will not harm our engine, (and 30w is for state's with +38 and below temperature ) the only disadvantage is less fuel economy , but with synthetic, flow will be better.

pls guys what is your engine oil temperature gauge reading during hot summer?

what your take in my view?

REMEMBER TIME NA MONEY
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by Kingdemu: 7:34pm On Oct 13, 2020
Mtcheww
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by erico2k2(m): 11:26pm On Oct 13, 2020
the short answer to it question is NO it doesn't matter. All fluid has elasticity. ie range of hot and cold tolerance. then the weight.Oil are more effective at max engine temp.
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by erico2k2(m): 11:26pm On Oct 13, 2020
OP did you say Engine oil temp gauge??
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by erico2k2(m): 11:28pm On Oct 13, 2020
finally OP you have no clue and U need to read more on Engine oils relative to car brands.

1 Like

Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by timenamoney: 6:49am On Oct 14, 2020
erico2k2:
OP did you say Engine oil temp gauge??
capital YES
or have not come across a car with engine oil temperature dashboard gauge, that show the temperature of a car engine oil temperature ?
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by timenamoney: 7:05am On Oct 14, 2020
erico2k2:
finally OP you have no clue and U need to read more on Engine oils relative to car brands.
FINALLY is likely you have not come across a car with engine oil temperature dashboard gauge, that show the temperature of a car engine oil temperature, which means you have no clue and need to read more on engine oil relatively to car brand
and your advice maybe ABSOLUTE or UNRECOMMENDED
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by erico2k2(m): 7:12am On Oct 14, 2020
timenamoney:
FINALLY is likely you have not come across a car with engine oil temperature dashboard gauge, that show the temperature of a car engine oil temperature, which means you have no clue and need to read more on engine oil relatively to car brand
and your advice maybe ABSOLUTE or UNRECOMMENDED
ok you are very correct non of the cars I ha e driven or ow ed has an Engine oil temp gauge gear oil yes in case of my jeep.so frm Vws to Audis.to Mercedes and Bmws and Land rovers oh and Peugeot. erm Rover and Honda's. I ain't seen it so what car has one.I would like to increase my knowledge.cos 50% of 9ja fry thier engines with wrong oils.
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by Kingdemu: 8:55am On Oct 14, 2020
timenamoney:
capital YES
or have not come across a car with engine oil temperature dashboard gauge, that show the temperature of a car engine oil temperature ?
One of my cars has one. It's a Peugeot 206cc
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by SerikinGamo: 10:00am On Oct 14, 2020
I live in Nigeria and there's nothing like summer here
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by erico2k2(m): 10:01am On Oct 14, 2020
Kingdemu:
what year?
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by erico2k2(m): 10:02am On Oct 14, 2020
SerikinGamo:

I live in Nigeria and there's nothing like summer here
you dey live for the wrong part, where that guy dey live Summer dey grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by Kingdemu: 10:41am On Oct 14, 2020
erico2k2:
what year?
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by erico2k2(m): 11:02am On Oct 14, 2020
Kingdemu:
you mean this
I have not own this b4

Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by Kingdemu: 11:10am On Oct 14, 2020
erico2k2:

you mean this
I have not own this b4
This is mine

Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by EngRichie: 11:42am On Oct 14, 2020
Scientifically, there is element of truth in your submission.
Viscousity is one of the properties needed for better protection. Also, any oil will thin out more under higher conditions of temperature, load and shear stress but the synthetic oils thin out more slowly.

However, recent advancements have allowed the use of lower viscousity oils while still offering good protection.

Sometimes, when we consider viscousity, there is compromise between best protection and best fuel economy and this is where some manufacturers are silent and users are innocent.
In some vehicles, it is not out of place to upgrade to next higher viscousity grade because of high temperature, high speed and high load driving. In some other cars, it is okay to stick with manufacturer recommendation because of the engine's design and a good controlled cooling system.
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by erico2k2(m): 11:24pm On Oct 14, 2020
EngRichie:
Viscousity is one of the properties needed for better protection. Also, any oil will thin out more under higher conditions of temperature, load and shear stress but the synthetic oils thin out more slowly.

However, recent advancements have allowed the use of lower viscousity oils while still offering good protection.

Sometimes, when we consider viscousity, there is compromise between best protection and best fuel economy and this is where some manufacturers are silent and users are innocent.
In some vehicles, it is not out of place to upgrade to next higher viscousity grade because of high temperature, high speed and high load driving. In some other cars, it is okay to stick with manufacturer recommendation because of the engine's design and a good controlled cooling system.
you are talking of outer temp that in any case will be less than 50 Degs, the working temp of a car is 90 Degs I think.So if we where to live in a cold climate ie winter infested or in the Artics, Warmth would be premium,
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by timenamoney: 8:53pm On Oct 15, 2020
Kingdemu:
@eriko do you now believe there's car oil temperature gauge and you know less about cars and need to explore more than forming I too know , when you know less

@kingdemu , what is your car oil temperature during hot summer ambient?
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by timenamoney: 9:01pm On Oct 15, 2020
erico2k2:

ok you are very correct non of the cars I ha e driven or ow ed has an Engine oil temp gauge gear oil yes in case of my jeep.so frm Vws to Audis.to Mercedes and Bmws and Land rovers oh and Peugeot. erm Rover and Honda's. I ain't seen it so what car has one.I would like to increase my knowledge.cos 50% of 9ja fry thier engines with wrong oils.
am happy you want to increase your knowledge , now we can talk reasonably
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by timenamoney: 9:04pm On Oct 15, 2020
erico2k2:

you dey live for the wrong part, where that guy dey live Summer dey grin grin grin grin
you are nothing but a joke, pls tell us what we have here
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by timenamoney: 9:09pm On Oct 15, 2020
erico2k2:

you mean this
I have not own this b4
you may consider having one so you can participate in trends like this, which you do not have any clue about
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by Kingdemu: 10:52pm On Oct 15, 2020
timenamoney:
you may consider having one so you can participate in trends like this, which you do not have any clue about
Pardon me but it appears you are new to Car Talk hence don't know who erico2k2 is when talking cars, right? Cos I don't think he should be among people to be "shamed" for not having a feel of what a modern car is.
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by timenamoney: 9:01am On Oct 16, 2020
erico2k2:
the short answer to it question is NO it doesn't matter. All fluid has elasticity. ie range of hot and cold tolerance. then the weight.Oil are more effective at max engine temp.
1)short answer to it question is NO it doesn't matter (question = ) why would it not matter when engine manufacturer oil chart say other wise
2) All fluid has elasticity ( answ =) no, oil is not ruber and can not be elastic , car fluids has no elasticity rather they have viscositys or viscosity improvers
3)Oil are more effective at max engine temp (question =) engine and oil temp is 100 degree ,(1) what max temperature range can 30w viscosity oil accommodate above 100degr ? (2) what viscosity will 30w be above it's normal operating Temp , up to 108 degr instead of 100degr
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by timenamoney: 9:20am On Oct 16, 2020
Kingdemu:
Pardon me but it appears you are new to Car Talk hence don't know who erico2k2 is when talking cars, right? Cos I don't think he should be among people to be "shamed" for not having a feel of what a modern car is.
pardoned ,and yes I maybe new to car talks but may know more than most unreliable so called expects here , erico2k2 is nothing but a joke and an online bully who KNOW LESS HOW CAR WORKS and derived joy from shaming naira-landers in several trends as a pro and should be shamed randomly too when found wrong, how can a pro not know that engine oil temp really exist and is installed in cars he stated above that doesn't have it , what has he contributed in this trend except from trying tell that don't know what am talking about and inferior propaganda
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by timenamoney: 9:40am On Oct 16, 2020
EngRichie:

I thought I was the only one that has this ideology , thanks , so the answer should be that it varies by types or brand of engines base on manufacturers recommendation maybe oil QUALITY
I PREFER BETTER PROTECTION ( A LITTLE THICK OIL 40W IN HOT AMBIENT) THAN FUEL ECONOMY 30W
REMEMBER oil loss it viscosity after a while
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by Kingdemu: 10:10am On Oct 16, 2020
timenamoney:
pardoned ,and yes I maybe new to car talks, erico2k2 is nothing but a joke and an online bully who KNOW LESS HOW CAR WORKS and derived joy from shaming naira-landers in several trends and should be shamed randomly too when found wrong
grin grin
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by erico2k2(m): 6:39pm On Oct 16, 2020
timenamoney:
you are nothing but a joke, pls tell us what we have here
The joke is on you mate who claims there is summer in NIGERIA!
9ja has Raining(Wet) and the Dry season, I dont know where you get this your wanna be abroad mentality of Summer from, The west have Summer/Winter/Autom, so you my friend must be extreemly Ignorant! the average temp in 9ja at its lowest is like 20, which is summer for us!

2 Likes

Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by erico2k2(m): 6:41pm On Oct 16, 2020
EngRichie:

Bro simply put if you buy a brand new car and its warranty is for 5 years and its Oil requirement os 5W30 and on year 4 you use 10W40 and something happens to your Engine you wont get a replacement, I have seen this happened B4
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by erico2k2(m): 6:43pm On Oct 16, 2020
timenamoney:
Bro no offence,I cant drive a peugeot of any model!me preference! talk BMW, Audis and |Range rovers, we are game!
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by erico2k2(m): 6:48pm On Oct 16, 2020
timenamoney:
1)short answer to it question is NO it doesn't matter (question = ) why would it not matter when engine manufacturer oil chart say other wise
2) All fluid has elasticity ( answ =) no, oil is not ruber and can not be elastic , car fluids has no elasticity rather they have viscositys or viscosity improvers
3)Oil are more effective at max engine temp (question =) engine and oil temp is 100 degree ,(1) what max temperature range can 30w viscosity oil accommodate above 100degr ? (2) what viscosity will 30w be above it's normal operating Temp , up to 108 degr instead of 100degr
Seriously, Ok what chart are you talking about? meanwhile howcome we drive the same car in Poland and same car in Nigeria and the same Oil specification is required for car lub? My RRS is 5W30, the same with my Guy in Russia which is meant to be colder? If you do not know the meaning of Elacticity and think it is limited to elastic as per rubber then you have no busniness arguing in anything to do with tech!

1 Like

Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by erico2k2(m): 6:50pm On Oct 16, 2020
Kingdemu:
Well done the joker, why do you use two user name to attack one person, or you recon I dont know you are same person you quoting
Re: Hot Temps Effects In Engine Oil Viscosity Above +100 Oil Temp During Summer by Kingdemu: 7:19pm On Oct 16, 2020
erico2k2:

Well done the joker, why do you use two user name to attack one person, or you recon I dont know you are same person you quoting
Nawao... How I come tek be the OP again? Well, make una settle una issue I don commot for here.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Car Tyre Was Stolen Overnight / Answers Urgently Needed! Burgled Toyota Corolla 2008 / Nissan Murano Gear Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.