Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,037 members, 7,838,594 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future (751 Views)

Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad / Insecurity On Campus: A Depressing Challenge By Dapar Satmak Alexander / Men Will Be Facing A Depressing Future (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by Pweety4me(f): 9:56pm On Mar 06, 2011
Societal and economic shifts may put more men in Western countries at risk for depression, scientists worry.

"Western men, particularly those with low education levels, will face a difficult road in the 21st century," write the authors of an editorial in the March issue of The British Journal of Psychiatry. "It may be more difficult, on average, for men to adjust to a domestic role than for women to adjust to a work role."

Currently, women have nearly twice the lifetime risk of suffering from major depression, although it's not fully understood why.

A confluence of trends could change this ratio, they write, including fewer job options for men who no longer outearn their partners. As the job options narrow, men begin to assume a more prominent role as caregivers in the home – a role traditionally associated with women. [ Study: Women Are in Charge at Home ]

Costa Rica Unveils Massive New Marine Park Scientists Urge Broader Expertise in Chemical Safety Evaluations Neurons Lost in Alzheimer's Created Anew from Stem Cells Idea Gets a Toehold: Nails Hold Clue to Lung Cancer Risk The recent economic downturn has been dubbed the "Mancession" for its disproportionate effect on traditional male industries, such as construction and manufacturing. Meanwhile, women are outpacing men in the pursuit of undergraduate and graduate degrees and becoming a larger share of primary household earners.

Men's failure to fulfill the role of breadwinner is associated with greater depression and marital conflict, but if societal expectations are altered, men may experience less distress, write researchers Boadie Dunlop and Tanja Mletzko, both of Emory University School of Medicine.

TODAY Health Find TODAY Health on Facebook
If men are innately less suited to care for young children and maintain households, then their increased contribution in this area could lead to lowered self-esteem and more depression. However, if women are better equipped to care for young children simply because they learn to be that way, through socialization — rather than because of biological differences between the sexes — it may be possible to help expectant fathers make this transition, they write. [ Dads Get Postpartum Depression, Too ]

Even so, "men in the changing economy will still face the same risks for depression that women faced in older economies: trapped in a family role from which they cannot escape because of an inability to find employment," the researchers write.
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by fstranger3(m): 10:02pm On Mar 06, 2011
You that cant even write a flawless sentence, what are you doing reading The British Journal of Psychiatry?

Anyway, post a link to the article so that those of us with brains can read the article with our korokoro eyes
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by Pweety4me(f): 10:06pm On Mar 06, 2011
See HATRED cool
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by obowunmi(m): 10:09pm On Mar 06, 2011
Fstranger --- well said bro. The girl just copied and pasted the article because of its title. she no sabi wey she dey yarn.
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by Pweety4me(f): 10:16pm On Mar 06, 2011
(contents removed)
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by obowunmi(m): 10:25pm On Mar 06, 2011
Isn't it the truth little girl ?
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by Pweety4me(f): 10:32pm On Mar 06, 2011
I believe this is already happening, as children mostly boys in the western world don't take their studies serious. sad
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by Pweety4me(f): 10:34pm On Mar 06, 2011
obowunmi:

Isn't it the truth little girl ?
Stop derailing, if u have nothing useful to say then leave.
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by obowunmi(m): 10:37pm On Mar 06, 2011
Responding to ya own thread. Little girl, did u even read the article ?
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by Sunofgod(m): 10:39pm On Mar 06, 2011
I'm tempted to start blasting away but let me resist. Ignorance is a virtue.

Anyway poster - What makes you think that women do not face the same?

Do you think the future will fare better for women?

Society is what it is - if men face depression they will take it out on their partners!

So women face a more depressing future ahead.

As for you linking the article to male's and their studies/education - if you have not realised males are pouring out of universities all around the world only to face unemployment. Same with women.

So please dont think you are immune from this - even if your (or your brain is) white!
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by Pweety4me(f): 10:40pm On Mar 06, 2011
obowunmi:

Responding to ya own thread. Little read, did u even read the aritcle ?

Like i said if u don't ave anything useful to say bounce!

& yes i can respond to my post, because they are not my words it is an article & i have my OPINION like evry else,
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by Pweety4me(f): 10:42pm On Mar 06, 2011
Sun of god:

I'm tempted to start blasting away but let me resist. Ignorance is a virtue.

Anyway poster - What makes you think that women do not face the same?

Do you think the future will fare better for women?

Society is what it is - if men face depression they will take it out on their partners!

So women face a more depressing future ahead.

As for you linking the article to male's and their studies/education - if you have not realised males are pouring out of universities all around the world only to face unemployment. Same with women.

So please dont think you are immune from this - even if your (or your brain is) white!

Lol, i'm outta HIA!  grin

I am not political, and i did not say anything about ME or Women being immune from the depression, even the article says it "women have nearly twice the lifetime risk of suffering from major depression"

I am just saying my own. cheesy
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by obowunmi(m): 10:42pm On Mar 06, 2011
Childish and immature POV
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by Pweety4me(f): 10:47pm On Mar 06, 2011
Lower achievement = Lower status smiley
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by obowunmi(m): 5:21pm On Mar 07, 2011
^^^ accept my deepest sympathies.
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by obowunmi(m): 6:17pm On Mar 07, 2011
^^^ well said bro.
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by Pweety4me(f): 7:40pm On Mar 07, 2011
LoveKing:

hey barbie doll, what kind of a username is 'pweety'? you are still a baby in pampers. Go to that zone where the men in skirts like 190 and walestar can pamper you. If you post shyt here you get shyt in return.

IF you were smart enough, u would focus your judgement on the contents of the post & not the poster, meanwhile my username is better than ur girlfriends REAL name & i see your one of the Perverted FANS welcome aboard. smiley

obowunmi:

^^^ well said bro.
I think i sussed now that u swing the other way. . . say hi to your MAN for me wink
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by obowunmi(m): 9:51pm On Mar 07, 2011
what man is this ?
Re: Men May Be Facing A Depressing Future by Nobody: 10:07pm On Mar 07, 2011
laff wan make me shyt for bodi!! ;d ;d ;d abeg pweety no mind them jare.

(1) (Reply)

Olurin Vows To Probe Daniel / Is There A Curfew 2nite? / Anambra Central Nass Results Canceled! Apga Tried To Bribe Me- Inec Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.