Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,142 members, 7,838,898 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Professor (Dr.) J.P Clark Buried - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Professor (Dr.) J.P Clark Buried (941 Views)

Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 / Prof. John Pepper Clark Is Dead / JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Professor (Dr.) J.P Clark Buried by tutudesz: 3:10pm On Oct 15, 2020
The great Bekederemo family of Kiagbodo Town, Burutu Local Government Area of Delta State, wishes to inform the general public that the journey to the final resting place of our illustrious son, the late Emeritus Professor (Dr.) J. P. Clark, has begun with the arrival of his body at his country home by the Kiagbodo River side, where he used to admire the movement of ships, speed boats and fishing canoes, in accordance with his 'last testament' (wish) that he should be buried within 3 days of his death.
We are also pleased to inform the general public that even nature is celebrating and honouring this great son, J. P. Clark, as the ravaging flood which would have prevented his wish from being fulfilled, spared his home and his grave which he pre-dug.
The burial is restricted to only family members in accordance, also, with his wish, that he will not want crowd at his funeral.
The family is humbled by the show of love through prayers, condolence visits, calls, text messages, tributes, etc, in honour of this great icon. May the good Lord bless you all. At the appropriate time, proper appreciation will be made.
Please continue to uphold the family in your prayers.
Thank you.

MY LAST TESTAMENT (A POEM BY JP CLARK)
This is to my family
Do not take me to a mortuary,
Do not take me to a church,
Whether I die in or out of town,
But take me home to my own, and
To lines and tunes, tested on the waves
Of time, let me lie in my place
On the Kiagbodo River.
If Moslems do it in a day,
You certainly can do it in three,
Avoiding blood and waste,
And whatever you do after,
My three daughters and my son
By the only wife I have,
Do not fight over anything
I may be pleased to leave behind
THE ABOVE POEM IS FROM JP CLARK’S BOOK, “FULL TIDE” (COLLECTED POEMS), PAGE 385.

Re: Professor (Dr.) J.P Clark Buried by tutudesz: 3:12pm On Oct 15, 2020
Details update loading.....

The casket containing the remains of renowned emeritus professor of literature and poet, Professor John Pepper Clark, has arrived his home in Kiagbodo Town, Delta State, for burial.

Late JP Clark’s corpse landed Kiagbodo main town at about 8:48pm before being conveyed in a wooden boat to his house at JP Clark Creek Inland in the outskirt of the community.

Re: Professor (Dr.) J.P Clark Buried by Tookool(m): 3:26pm On Oct 15, 2020
Every reasonable person would like to be buried that way ...
Re: Professor (Dr.) J.P Clark Buried by illicit(m): 4:08pm On Oct 15, 2020
Is he gonna be buried in a river or what
Re: Professor (Dr.) J.P Clark Buried by tutudesz: 4:39pm On Oct 15, 2020
illicit:
Is he gonna be buried in a river or what
His house is close to the river
Re: Professor (Dr.) J.P Clark Buried by illicit(m): 5:01pm On Oct 15, 2020
tutudesz:
His house is close to the river

Oh wow
I get it now
Re: Professor (Dr.) J.P Clark Buried by tutudesz: 11:30pm On Oct 15, 2020
The remains of African prolific writer and emeritus professor of literature, Prof. John Pepper Clark, was on Thursday interred at his JP Clark Creek Home in Kiagbodo, Burutu Local Government Area of Delta State.

He was buried during a quiet private family funeral in accordance with his “last wish” before he passed on Tuesday in Lagos at 85.

The award-winning playwright was committed to mother earth at exactly 11:30pm.

The brief funeral ceremony was attended by members of the Clark family and a few community members.

Prof. JP Clark died on Tuesday at an undisclosed hospital in Lagos to a cancer related ailment.

He was said to have instructed his children before his passing to bury him within three days of his death in a quiet funeral devoid of crowd.

He had also told the family not to take his body to mortuary.

The body of the legendary author of “America, Their America” arrived Kiagbodo at about 8:48pm on Thursday before being ferried in a wooden boat to his house along the Kiagbodo river.

The brown-casket containing the body of the deceased was flown from Lagos en route Asaba International Airport before being conveyed in an ambulance belong to the Delta State Government to his country-home.

His remains was intercepted by community youths joined by the women folks singing different Ijaw traditional songs used to honour and celebrate great sons and daughter of the Ijaw ethnic nationality.
He was given a brief Christian burial.

The officiating priest and senior pastor of Trinity House, Victoria Inland, Lagos, Pastor Ituah Ighodalo, disclosed that the late writer gave his life to Christ before he passed on.

Pastor Ighodalo, represented by Pastor Jolomi Guoti and Pastor Ken Okochu, described the departed famous poet as a gift to humanity, saying he was happy that Prof JP Clark received Christ in the twilight of earthly journey.

In his brief remark, the deceased’s eldest child and only son, Elaye Clark, said their father had to be buried within three days of passage in fulfillment of his wish while alive.

Elaye commended Nigerians and the Clark family for the solidarity given to the immediate family in their moment of grieve.

The funeral was attended by the deceased’s immediate younger brother, Prof College Clark’; his wife, Prof Ebun Odutola, his children and few other family relations.

(1) (Reply)

Cool Pics / A Short Story I'm Working On "slient Violence" / A Castle For My Soul (a poem)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.