Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,359 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind (4113 Views)

Should I End This Relationship. / Do Couples Eventually Run Out Of Things To Talk About? / Twice Unfaithful And Lazy Husband: Should I End This Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by DanteA: 1:49pm On Mar 07, 2011
[b]Dear Reader,
Thanks so much for visiting this page, U can neva tell, u mite actually be saving a life or 2 for just opening this link.

This my chronicle that started about 4 yrs ago I'd try to summarise as much as possible so as not to take too much of your time.

I'm in my very early 30s, an Engineer with a well paying job, at least amongst my peers I'd say the good lord has done really well for me financially, yet I'm a very sad man, not been for a good while now (lik they say, mny can't buy you happiness). When I felt I'd gotten to a marraigeable age, I saw this nice, loving and God-fearing lady (a student then), I went after her with all good intent for about 7months before we eventually started dating, after 1.6yrs of being with her, during which we'd come to grow to love each other so much, I proposed to marry her.
My Mother, at every opportunity she gets, had never ceased to show her objection to the r/ship ever since she heard about or even before meeting her, my dad and other siblings had been quite supportive (until lately).

My dad and brothers concluded that instead I keep waiting for my mother to come around (which mite be never) I should start with the introduction and possibly engagement, which they will attend. I went ahead to fix a date with them and then communicated it to my fiancee's family, we then went ahead to start involving ONLY immediate family members (mostly hers, since her dad's late) abt a week aftrwards,  my dad called that he was no more in support of me marrying the lady giving reasons he saw a vision in conjunction with what my uncle's pastor had told him. That my-wife-to-be can't be my wife cos if I marry her, I'd die young & some other similar stories lik that.

Believe me I'd had a few downs in my life, but I'd never been this devasted before. Right now I feel like the only man on earth, this has taken a terrible toll on my work as well, as I rarely concentrate anymore at work. My boss who had been really happy with my work and sometimes leave high-level responsibilities and decisions to me is starting to notice.

Pls what do i do, i really love this lady, never tot of spending my life with any-other ever since I met her. Moreso she'd gone thru so much bitterness in the hands of my mum, and ther's only 1 way I can make up for all we've been thru 2gether, that's by marrying her. Any kind hearted/concerned/God-fearing person in the house pls take your time to review this.

Thanks[/b]
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by SMOOOTH(m): 2:55pm On Mar 07, 2011
Hmmmmmm, that's a very touching story.

I feel you my brother, however, to make any rational deductions and hence be in a position to advice you, i daresay your story has a few missing lines,

No 1: Why is your mum against this lady? has your mum even met her? cos according to your story, it seems like your mum is not even in your immediate vicinity?

No 2:most times when parents object to their wards chice of a life partner, there is always a very potent reason for doing that.There is an adage that says ''what an elder sees whilst sitting down, a youth even while at the top of a skyscraper never sees''.So, it might not be obvious to you right now, but you may likely thank you parents later on in life.

Whenever anybody is in love , the level of 'pheromones'' and other activated hormones as a result of that condition actually blurr the lines, hence there is a propensity not too see clearly. Sadlly enough, you might just be blinded at the moment by the arrows of cupid.

i will advise that you shed more light on this lady, what are her strengths, why do you think your dad and mum are against her?, talk more about her weaknesses, how does she handle conflict? have you ever had quarrels ?

In a nutshell, i think nairalanders need more information before we can reasonably make cogent inferences.

Cheers dude
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by Delta007(m): 3:02pm On Mar 07, 2011
I'd be curious to know why your folks have reasons against a girl they barely know. There has to be reasons.

From the girls POV, it will be unfair and unwise for her to marry into your family when she knows the odds are against her from the start.
Dante.A:

[b]Dear Reader,
Thanks so much for visiting this page, U can neva tell, u mite actually be saving a life or 2 for just opening this link.

This my chronicle that started about 4 yrs ago I'd try to summarise as much as possible so as not to take too much of your time.

I'm in my very early 30s, an Engineer with a well paying job, at least amongst my peers I'd say the good lord has done really well for me financially, yet I'm a very sad man, not been for a good while now (lik they say, mny can't buy you happiness). When I felt I'd gotten to a marraigeable age, I saw this nice, loving and God-fearing lady (a student then), I went after her with all good intent for about 7months before we eventually started dating, after 1.6yrs of being with her, during which we'd come to grow to love each other so much, I proposed to marry her.
My Mother, at every opportunity she gets, had never ceased to show her objection to the r/ship ever since she heard about or even before meeting her, my dad and other siblings had been quite supportive (until lately).

My dad and brothers concluded that instead I keep waiting for my mother to come around (which mite be never, and I'm not growing any younger eihter) I should start with the introduction and possibly engagement, which they will attend. I went ahead to fix a date with them and then communicated it to my fiancee's family, we then went ahead to start involving ONLY immediate family members (mostly hers, since her dad's late) abt a week aftrwards, my dad called that he was no more in support of me marrying the lady giving reasons he saw a vision in conjunction with what my uncle's pastor had told him. That my-wife-to-be can't be my wife cos if I marry her, I'd die young & some other similar stories lik that.

Believe me I'd had a few downs in my life, but I'd never been this devasted before. Right now I feel like the only man on earth, this has taken a terrible toll on my work as well, as I rarely concentrate anymore at work. My boss who had been really happy with my work and sometimes leave high-level responsibilities and decisions to me is starting to notice.

Pls what do i do, i really love this lady, never tot of spending my life with any-other ever since I met her. Moreso she'd gone thru so much bitterness in the hands of my mum, and ther's only 1 way I can make up for all we've been thru 2gether, that's by marrying her. Any kind hearted/concerned/God-fearing person in the house pls take your time to review this.

Thanks[/b]
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by alagha: 3:11pm On Mar 07, 2011
i feel you brother! undecidedyou are welcome to the club of mother's STAND. see you later.
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by maclatunji: 3:52pm On Mar 07, 2011
Remove what that your so-called pastor uncle said. Have a confab with your mother first and then your father get all the details from them on their real reasons for not wanting her. Analyse their points, and take a clear stance based on the validity or otherwise of the points.
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by Nobody: 4:31pm On Mar 07, 2011
@ Poster

Your story is a sad one and I really sympathize with you. But like others have asked . . . what exactly is your mum's reason for resisting the union  Cause it could be a very good one  undecided

This however does not mean that our parents cannot be wrong . . . so first of all (aside from the 'vision'), what did your mum say is wrong with your girl    undecided
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by Blazay(m): 4:38pm On Mar 07, 2011
Y'all are all God-Fearing zis-n-zat and still do not have the simplest, faith-based courage to solve the least challanging problems. Any African woman who had a miserable/failed marriage, will always be jealous of any man/woman who aspires to find peace and happiness in life. Especially, if it involves HER own children.

Too bad you do not have what it takes to be a reeeeeaaaal man.
Live your life and let misery keep itself company.

Goodluck! kiss
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by Nobody: 4:43pm On Mar 07, 2011
Blazay:

Y'all are all God-Fearing zis-n-zat and still do not have the simplest, faith-based courage to solve the least challanging problems. Any African woman who had a miserable/failed marriage, will always be jealous of any man/woman who aspires to find peace and happiness in life. Especially, if it involves HER own children.

Too bad you do not have what it takes to be a reeeeeaaaal man.
Live your life and let misery keep itself company.

Goodluck! kiss

So you are suggesting his mother is jealous of him undecided
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by cescky(m): 4:47pm On Mar 07, 2011
@ poster

only God and i saY again  only God,can be your sure support and foundation, not your mother, your father , nor the most powerful pastor u have ever met.

ask your mum why shes in oppostion of your union

[b][b]
IF THIS PROBLEM'S ATCUALLY TOUCHED YOU THAT DEEPLY(obviously it has)  FAST (exceed the higest amount of time, days you have ever fasted b4) THE SAME GOD THAT REVEALED ALL THATS BEING SAID TO YOU,WILL REVEAL HIS OWN COUNSEL TO YOU TOO( BTW WHATS YOUR MOTHER AND YOUR FATHERS LEVEL OF SPIRITUALITY? U SHOULD HAVE AN IDEA).

IF U TRULY FOLLOW ABOVE WITH ALL SINCERITY , GOD WILL LET U KNOW, IF SHES RIGHT OR WRONG AND DO SURLY FOLLOW HIS COUNSEL WITH OUT FEAR OF OPPOSTION WHAT SO EVER(ITS CALLED FATH: GOD LOVES PEPS THAT LIKE TO STAND SOLELY ON HIM)
[/b][/b]
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by DanteA: 5:02pm On Mar 07, 2011
@ SMOOTH
u are quite rite u knw, abt the adage of youthfulness and our elders, I'm from that school of thought as well. But I tell you 1 thing though, I would be the one to live with her not them; therefore I went ahead based on my findings. My mother, a great woman who has always been there for us growing up, even was our backbone us when our dad was misbehaving; her issue started by her wanting me to be with a different lady (my ex, now married), there-unto she moved to the spiritual aspects (abt me dying young if I marry my fiancée). I must say, I didn't handle the issue well in the beginning; I and my mother were always arguing and quarrelling over and over. That was years back, I soon realized I wasn't going abt it properly, I succumbed and have apologized to her severally, but I guess she still carries the grudge in her as she never ceases to remind.
Before now, my dad hadn't been agnst the union, he had even urged me on several occasions to do what I have to do and stop waiting for my mum to come around, if only I did then. My fiancée and dad have/had a good r/ship, they'd often talk on phone and my dad would tell me whenever we speak to take good care of her, he'd even go ahead to advice me on marriage issues, really nw wonder wre his “vision” was then.
Abt her (my fiancée), I really wish all was just in love, I love her so much; but though never been married myself, maturity and other life experiences had tot me not to marry only cos u love. Ever since I met her, I'd gradually transformed from a man who hates to commit to 1 who nw preaches commitment to his peers. I've had reasons to go to God before meeting her, but she had actually drawn me closer to him. Things have really turned around for me generally, though strtd work with a good job, I'd moved from success to success (just not psychologically), changing jobs whenever I so desire. I can afford to get things as soon as I start thinking about them, no matter the cost. All these might have been destined to happen to me with or witout her but as a traditional man, I jst feel she has a good aura around her that makes things work.
She  (my fiancée) is  a likable person, with a vision as same as mine, she’s also a planner which is what I desire most in a woman, I love planning but then I sometimes derail, she has actually been able to keep me on track. She’s a Christian, we ddnt use to attend same church but we sometime go together (due to the nature of my job, I travel a lot); she often urges us to pray, she’d request for us to fast, I be to 12 or 3pm, she’d be to 6pm, all qualities I need in a woman. Won’t say she’s perfect thgh, 1 thng is I hv to often force her before she talks abt an issue wen we have quarrels, that’s all, quite terrible but I thnk I can live with that.
I'd here add also that she from the east and I western part of Nigeria, not saying that's an issue with my mum (she'd never mentioned it) cos we the kids had our early years in the eastern part of Nigeria, we all hv also lived in the northern part before I moved to where I am presently, so I can't really say my mother’s a tribally biased person, can never tell still.
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by DanteA: 5:03pm On Mar 07, 2011
@Delta007
Yes we have talked severally on this issue, her marrying into my family with the whole mother thing, we even went ahead to separate a few times, telling ourselves we cld do it, but we eventually found ourselves together agn, I recently also asked her to think it thru, but she was always able to convince me and had faith that my mother would come around smeday. She earlier refused to do anthng formal with me until my mum accepts her, but my dad urged us on, only for him to back out nw.
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by DanteA: 5:04pm On Mar 07, 2011
I hope this is lite enuff, open to any other thng any1 has to ask, cos need to clear this up. I’d say God gave me very good gifts of intelligence and brilliance, whch has taken me to where I am today, I even take huge decisions on behalf of my company and it works out fine, also can give sound and endearing advise on major issues to/amongst colleagues and friends, but here I am, perplexed.
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by Blazay(m): 5:04pm On Mar 07, 2011
Ujujoan:

So you are suggesting his mother is jealous of him    undecided

Yes. Only a parent who does not wish her son/daughter well, will get in the way of his/her happiness. Any loving mom would support her child's choice of ANY mate. Her role is to be supportive and to gain a daughter, not LOSE a son.

She is not only jealous, but purely EVIL. angry
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by yaqubishaq: 5:05pm On Mar 07, 2011
Dante.A:

@Delta007
Yes we have talked severally on this issue, her marrying into my family with the whole mother thing, we even went ahead to separate for abt 3 months at 1 time, telling ourselves we cld do it, but we eventually found ourselves together agn, I recently also asked her to think it thru, but she was always able to convince me and had faith that my mother would come around smeday. She even refused to do anthng formal with me until my mum accepts her, but my dad urged us on, only for him to back out nw.

Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by Blazay(m): 5:08pm On Mar 07, 2011
Dante.A:

I hope this is lite enuff, open to any other thng any1 has to ask, cos need to clear this up. I’d say God gave me very good gifts of intelligence and brilliance, whch has taken me to where I am today, I even take huge decisions on behalf of my company and it works out fine, also can give sound and endearing advise on major issues to/amongst colleagues and friends, but here I am, perplexed.

Good!
Then you do not need to be on Nairaland.
Cheers! kiss
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by kittykat1(f): 5:18pm On Mar 07, 2011
You sound familiar. Do u work in a servicing coy?
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by cescky(m): 5:23pm On Mar 07, 2011
Dante.A:

ehen ?

"the undoing of the old man is that he feels his experience gives him more insight than the youth"

"the mistake of the youth is that he thinks his  intelliegence and brillance give him more insight than the old man"

source: anoynymous

thank God your brilliance allows you belive in God.

christ in u, ur sure foundation, bye bye
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by Delta007(m): 8:04pm On Mar 07, 2011
If you have the conviction that she is the one, I'd advice you to get your family to fall in line. Again, it will be unfair (and a shame) to the lady to marry into a family that dislikes her. She'd see hell if she dares it, no matter how much you try to protect her. Despite your thinking that tribal factors are inconsequential here, I actually think otherwise. I believe in God but I do not need a pastor to see a vision for me. You are a grown man; you need to have a talk with your folks and tell them to bare it all out (perhaps think out different non-spiritual reasons why they do not like her and use reverse psychology to get them to speak) and then work thru the issues one by one with them. You need to make them realise that you value and respect their input and support and you want them to be a continued part of your life; hence, you are trying to seek their approval. However, you need to stand your ground and let them know that you'd be intimidated by their personal grudges. You also have to let them know how much the situation is affecting you; I think if your mum knows this, she may be a lil softer.

Maybe you should play on them and tell them that she is pregnant for you and see their reaction(s).
Dante.A:

@ SMOOTH
u are quite rite u knw, abt the adage of youthfulness and our elders, I'm from that school of thought as well. But I tell you 1 thing though, I would be the one to live with her not them; therefore I went ahead based on my findings. My mother, a great woman who has always been there for us growing up, even was our backbone us when our dad was misbehaving; her issue started by her wanting me to be with a different lady (my ex, now married), there-unto she moved to the spiritual aspects (abt me dying young if I marry my fiancée). I must say, I didn't handle the issue well in the beginning; I and my mother were always arguing and quarrelling over and over. That was years back, I soon realized I wasn't going abt it properly, I succumbed and have apologized to her severally, but I guess she still carries the grudge in her as she never ceases to remind.
Before now, my dad hadn't been agnst the union, he had even urged me on several occasions to do what I have to do and stop waiting for my mum to come around, if only I did then. My fiancée and dad have/had a good r/ship, they'd often talk on phone and my dad would tell me whenever we speak to take good care of her, he'd even go ahead to advice me on marriage issues, really nw wonder wre his “vision” was then.
Abt her (my fiancée), I really wish all was just in love, I love her so much; but though never been married myself, maturity and other life experiences had tot me not to marry only cos u love. Ever since I met her, I'd gradually transformed from a man who hates to commit to 1 who nw preaches commitment to his peers. I've had reasons to go to God before meeting her, but she had actually drawn me closer to him. Things have really turned around for me generally, though strtd work with a good job, I'd moved from success to success (just not psychologically), changing jobs whenever I so desire. I can afford to get things as soon as I start thinking about them, no matter the cost. All these might have been destined to happen to me with or witout her but as a traditional man, I jst feel she has a good aura around her that makes things work.
She (my fiancée) is a likable person, with a vision as same as mine, she’s also a planner which is what I desire most in a woman, I love planning but then I sometimes derail, she has actually been able to keep me on track. She’s a Christian, we ddnt use to attend same church but we sometime go together (due to the nature of my job, I travel a lot); she often urges us to pray, she’d request for us to fast, I be to 12 or 3pm, she’d be to 6pm, all qualities I need in a woman. Won’t say she’s perfect thgh, 1 thng is I hv to often force her before she talks abt an issue wen we have quarrels, that’s all, quite terrible but I thnk I can live with that.
I'd here add also that she from the east and I western part of Nigeria, not saying that's an issue with my mum (she'd never mentioned it) cos we the kids had our early years in the eastern part of Nigeria, we all hv also lived in the northern part before I moved to where I am presently, so I can't really say my mother’s a tribally biased person, can never tell still.

Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by Genius100: 11:18pm On Mar 07, 2011
Guy, listen. You are the one that's going to live with her. The whole spiritual angle is nonsensical. How do you know that whatever the Pastor said is accurate. Are there no false pastors? How do people differentiate if it's God telling them something or it's their mind? Up till today, I remain thoroughly unconvinced about people saying they heard from God. How do you know it's God?

Listen, if you are convinced this woman is right for you, go ahead and marry her. It's VERY DIFFICULT to find the right woman. Marrying the wrong woman is one of the worst mistakes a guy can make in his life, so if you know this is the right woman for you, MARRY HER.

Anybody can claim they saw some kind of spiritual vision. If it's true, then let God reveal the same vision to you. Otherwise, go ahead and do what you have to do.
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by Busybody2(f): 11:36pm On Mar 07, 2011
Dante.A

Here's a similar post I made earlier today, it is even more suited to your case, hope you find solace and comfort in it wink

deal_ordea:

If you love someone, but you know they aren't right for you what do you do? Do you take the chance? Or do you let them go?, What if everyones against you, nobody wants you to be together, they all say it will end up wrong, do you still take that chance?

Busy_body:
Only you can/should be the Author of your destiny.

Who are the they?

Are they not God's creation?

Are you not God's creation?

Is your intended not God's creation?

The point I am driving at is "why would God not want His own to mix"?

Yes some people with the God-given gift of seeing vision and speaking in tongues probably told you stuffs, but have you gone to those whom God gave the gift of interceding to help you pray away the issue on your behalf, if you cannot do it on your own?

Was it not God who said nothing is too difficult for Him?

Again, why would God not want His creation to mix?

You only have this one chance to live, today is the first day of the rest of your life, go figure wink
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by Ivynwa(f): 12:51am On Mar 08, 2011
@Poster
Your parents merely have fears of you dying young and some human being is somewhere acting God and playing on their fears too.
NOBODY! I repeat NO HUMAN BEING knows your tomorrow. Pay no attention to those who think they do, you must tell your parents to let go of that fear of theirs because some things we believe and cling on too have a way of coming to us and we in Nairaland don't want you to die young. It's important they let go of that "dying young" thing biko.
You and your fiance should pray more that God will level down all these mountains standing before the love you have for yourselves.
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by TewMuch: 1:45am On Mar 08, 2011
@OP
You know your parents better than any of us and they and God made you the person you are. No one else. Without the opportunities they gave you, you will not be who you are. Do not listen to anyone insulting or victimizing your parents. Your GF definitely saw your potential and she may be desperate to marry you no matter what. All this prayer and fasting trick has been played numerous times, it is when you finally get married you will see true colors. Your mother is talking from experience and there are things she will see that you won't see. You also desperately need your family, do not cut them off for any human being. They are the only ones that will always be there for you, your wife can run tomorrow if all fails for you. Some decisions in life are hard to make, but respect your parents and move on. There is someone out there for you. The girl obviously does not respect herself or your parents, and it shows how she may face them in future. If they do not approve, you guys should go your separate ways. You are who you are because of your hardwork and God given talents, not anyones aura. A bad marriage can take all that away in an instant. As you are so in love, there are things you will not see that other's will see. It may take a while but it will get better.
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by DanteA: 8:42am On Mar 08, 2011
TewMuch:

@OP
You know your parents better than any of us and they and God made you the person you are. No one else. Without the opportunities they gave you, you will not be who you are. Do not listen to anyone insulting or victimizing your parents. Your GF definitely saw your potential and she may be desperate to marry you no matter what. All this prayer and fasting trick has been played numerous times, it is when you finally get married you will see true colors. Your mother is talking from experience and there are things she will see that you won't see. You also desperately need your family, do not cut them off for any human being. They are the only ones that will always be there for you, your wife can run tomorrow if all fails for you. Some decisions in life are hard to make, but respect your parents and move on. There is someone out there for you. The girl obviously does not respect herself or your parents, and it shows how she may face them in future. If they do not approve, you guys should go your separate ways. You are who you are because of your hardwork and God given talents, not anyones aura. A bad marriage can take all that away in an instant. As you are so in love, there are things you will not see that other's will see. It may take a while but it will get better.

U have really said well here, I have also tot about this quite a lot. I'd also played the mind thing of going all out against her, & wrong as it may sound, I’d given her tests which she’d passed. I'm some1 that believe so much in prayers, thgh I go to church and pay my tithe regularly, I don't have any particular pastor or spiritualist I go to (maybe I shld), I've had and still have the faith that I don't need any1 to see the future for me, I prefer to go directly to my God and if he has been able to bring me this far witout any direct intercessory sessions, I applied it to marrying this lady; I went ahead & prayed severally for God to show me in one way or the other why I shldnt be with her, and till date, none. (Aside the parents’ thing thgh, and I'd say this is not the 1st time I'm having issues with my mum regarding my major life’s decision)

BTW, thgh I’m open to your opinions, I’m not confused abt being wt my fiancée, had a strong conviction that I’d be wt her b4 I proposed to her, I also believe my family wld come arnd someday (maybe long). I just want pple wit experience/knowledge of situations like this to help out. Her family wld nt give her out wtout my family present, her mother understands and had requested we keep praying, I was only able to tell them my family’s stand yestday (THANKS 2 NL).
It took me 2 years to try convince my family abt her, now I’m back 2 square one. My mother never bulged, guess she’s been able to get to the others now including my dad again! And she on her part is lik a demigod in her family, no1 can talk 2 her.
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by alagha: 10:54am On Mar 08, 2011
my brother the journey is always rough but you must have to make it smooth, sometimes parents do see more than we do, and most especially our mothers and any child who have a serious unsettle issue with his/her mother is gradually digging a grave to be buried. therefore , i suggest you see your mother discuss,    pit,trick,analysis,convince,etc. in fact TALK her down in any way you can do it before embarking on this journey otherwise, she would want to frustrate your efforts , because , this is where (marriage)  MOST of them enforce their POWERS  &  RIGHTS over their HUSBANDS, cheers man . good luck cry cry.
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by babyme1(f): 11:16am On Mar 08, 2011
My concern is your fiancee. As a woman,it's not easy marrying into a family where no one accept you. Let her go please for the sake of her life and sanity,she deserves to be happy in marriage. I've seen a whole lot of cases like these where the couple went ahead and got married. The woman most times end up miserable or dead.

My mum never failed to all her daughters never to marry a man that the family doesn'twant the marriage. Believe me, marriage is not between the couple.

1 Like

Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by mutter(f): 11:38am On Mar 08, 2011
You have one big OBSTACLE to your happiness and that is you.

You are an educated man that works and carries responsibilities. Do your parents follow you to work and take decisions for you
Wake up and be a MAN. Te role of your parents now os to advice you and not to control you.

Do they live with this woman or know her as you do? Probably they will never be happy with your choice no matter who.
Better to be unhappy with someone you love rather than someone you don`t love.

If I were the girl I would have asked you to take a hike because you are not in control of your home.
A man is the head of his home-
not his father and not his mother.

So with all your education you are still enchained and enslaved in all this "visions" etc. I call it Psychological terror and blackmail.

Now you need advise?
Take your girl fix a date at the registry or church and get married - Privately.
Your parents will come around and have to accept your decision. , or at the very least respect it.

By the way. No human being can predict the death of another.

This is the advise of a mother who has children of marriageable smiley age.

When you were a kid your parents were strong and you weak. Now is the time tat the tables turn.
You now become the stronger one and the they weaker. Your duty as a son is to make them happy by showing them care and affection in their old age.
That is your first duty!
If you now make yourself unhappy. You will always hold it against them.
SO choose your wife and be happy. That way you can show them love.
The secret is that no one will ever impose on you what you reject in life.
Stand your ground
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by TewMuch: 12:27pm On Mar 08, 2011
If your family does not approve it is not worth it. Eloping is not part of our culture and if something happens tomorrow your wife and kids are on their own. Let's not even talk about the animosity she would face and most families never come around. The siblings also carry the battle on their head when the parents pass away. I see she is still young, just out of university, you guys should take time apart and see other people. You may be suprrsed the things you will realise in that time. And in that time get close to your mother again, She is probably afraid for you that a woman can have so much power over you for you to fight her. Fighting your parents over your proposed spouse is a no-no. She probably finally told your father and siblings the things you said and the quarrels you guys have. You may just be too taken by this girl, and they may not be comfortable that you are there eyes wide open. To even fight your mother? You made it 10 times worse for yourself. Most people that went without consent of both parents regretted it, because they either realise what their parents were saying was true or one spouse saw hell in the relationship. And most of those relationships fail. Mutter has a similar experience in her FIRST marriage with her inlaws. So I am sure she can tell you the truth about going without consent and not going where you are wanted. Also, I will like you to profile your ex and why you think your mother likes her, and then look at your present girlfriend to see if she has those qualities. It can give you an understanding of what you need to know. I am not saying compare the two, just try to understand the possible reasons. Don't go against your parents and get married, they will hate the girl even more, this is Nigeria we are talking about not hollywood.

1 Like

Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by mutter(f): 9:43pm On Mar 08, 2011
Yes I made my choice and when it did not work out, I had only myself to blame.
My second marriage was met wit even stronger opposition but I went ahead and thank God that I did.
It took my family time to adjust to it but now all is well.
MY husband also met with strong disapproval for marrying a divorcee with kids and that was his first marriage.
But today we are happy we did what we wanted.
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by SMOOOTH(m): 7:57pm On Mar 09, 2011
Dante

I'm kinda concerned for you cos i actually was in a situation very similar to yours.However, for me ,the lady was only pretending and after a few months , her real nature sprang up!. Trust me, i ran for cover sharp sharp!

I think you should take your time before commiting to the lady in marriage. Why? you've said  a lot of things abt yourself which will make any smart lady to persitently pretend for as long as she can to get what she wants, especially the kind of chicks that hide under the umbrella of religion!(born -against! grin)

Premise no1:you are a young man that has always had it smooth, nice job , nice car,[i presume]. what else does  a lady want? she may pretend to be a saint if that's all she has to do to get you. but then she might just be her real self and might just be a very good girl.

Premise No2: your story sounds like your parents are no longer together? if they are seperated/divorced, then YOU might just be the one with the problem.You made a very potent statement , ''your mum is like a demi-god and nobody can talk to her'' if thats true , then you are in deep shit!.

You may just have to take your stand or else if your mum makes you lose this one, i can assure you , getting another good girl may  take a long time and it may be very difficult as well!.

Search your heart, pray very well, set up situations where this lady's sincerity and love can be tested and proven, if she consistently passes them, then she's the right one for you!. Most importantly, GOD has given you and every other person the gift of discernment!. you have your conscience which will always tell you if you are right or wrong!. dont deceive yourself because you love this lady, do a thorough soul- searching and if you are convinced, go ahead and marry the love of your life!

If you dont stand up to your mother, she's gonna mess up your life!.Why did your dad change his stance towards this girl? i'd really like to know that, most likely because your mum manipulated him!. Most domineering women will eventually do that.

Finally, it's your life!, you are the one that has the final say!, if you allow someone's advice to mess it up, only you , i repeat, only you will bear the consequences.

A word is enough fopr the wise!
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by Ivynwa(f): 4:46am On Mar 10, 2011
mutter:

You have one big OBSTACLE to your happiness and that is you.

You are an educated man that works and carries responsibilities. Do your parents follow you to work and take decisions for you
Wake up and be a MAN. Te role of your parents now os to advice you and not to control you.

Do they live with this woman or know her as you do? Probably they will never be happy with your choice no matter who.
Better to be unhappy with someone you love rather than someone you don`t love.

If I were the girl I would have asked you to take a hike because you are not in control of your home.
A man is the head of his home-
not his father and not his mother.

So with all your education you are still enchained and enslaved in all this "visions" etc. I call it Psychological terror and blackmail.

Now you need advise?
Take your girl fix a date at the registry or church and get married - Privately.
Your parents will come around and have to accept your decision. , or at the very least respect it.

By the way. No human being can predict the death of another.

This is the advise of a mother who has children of marriageable smiley age.

When you were a kid your parents were strong and you weak. Now is the time tat the tables turn.
You now become the stronger one and the they weaker. Your duty as a son is to make them happy by showing them care and affection in their old age.
That is your first duty!
If you now make yourself unhappy. You will always hold it against them.
SO choose your wife and be happy. That way you can show them love.
The secret is that no one will ever impose on you what you reject in life.
Stand your ground
Boy, you heard it right from a "been to"

mutter:

Yes I made my choice and when it did not work out, I had only myself to blame.
My second marriage was met wit even stronger opposition but I went ahead and thank God that I did.
It took my family time to adjust to it but now all is well.
MY husband also met with strong disapproval for marrying a divorcee with kids and that was his first marriage.
But today we are happy we did what we wanted.

Ivynwa and the other onlookers claps and gives Mutter a standing Ovation. Ride on "Sis", I am mighty happy for you.
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by breathless(m): 11:00am On Mar 10, 2011
Interesting post and responses alike.
@ Poster, I had a similar experience and was even worse. My mum from all intent was pretending to like her, but along the way, she blew up. This included both physical and spiritual attacks/confrontations. I was told some of the things you`re hearing now and even more. To the extent she said the girl would not bear children. (Na loooooonnnnnnggggg STORY)

In my case, if my dad had put up that resistance, no thinking twice, I would have opted out cos I see him as almost faultless.

Today, the story is different. The same girl is now my spouse who has given three beautiful and wonderful kids. My mum has been apologising for her past deeds and begging for forgiveness saying she did not know what she was doing. Now she takes pride in coming over to visit and spend time with her "darling daughter-in-law and beautiful grand children.

I guess they`re using the "death" story to put you on hold. (Don`t be deceived, DEATH is sure) so make your life worthwhile. Like I always say, Marry who you love or love who you marry.

God help you.
Re: Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind by Nobody: 11:34am On Mar 10, 2011
breathless:

Interesting post and responses alike.
@ Poster, I had a similar experience and was even worse. My mum from all intent was pretending to like her, but along the way, she blew up. This included both physical and spiritual attacks/confrontations. I was told some of the things you`re hearing now and even more. To the extent she said the girl would not bear children. (Na loooooonnnnnnggggg STORY)

In my case, if my dad had put up that resistance, no thinking twice, I would have opted out cos I see him as almost faultless.

Today, the story is different. The same girl is now my spouse who has given three beautiful and wonderful kids. My mum has been apologising for her past deeds and begging for forgiveness saying she did not know what she was doing. Now she takes pride in coming over to visit and spend time with her "darling daughter-in-law and beautiful grand children.

I guess they`re using the "death" story to put you on hold. (Don`t be deceived, DEATH is sure) so make your life worthwhile. Like I always say, Marry who you love or love who you marry.

God help you.

clicks 'like' . . . . cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Celebrating New Generation Hands on Fathers. / What Will Be Your Reaction If Your Wife Do This To You. / A Porn Addict Needs Help!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.