Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

What Goes Into Naming A Child - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Goes Into Naming A Child (16997 Views)

Wife Sister Naming Her Baby After My Wife Ex Boyfriend / Naming A New Born Child : / Our Landlord Says He Fathered My Second Baby, Insists On Naming Him —husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by bukatyne(f): 3:46pm On Oct 19, 2020
angelfallz:

You shouldn't be writing things like that as fact.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/mary

https://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/mary/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_(name)#:~:text=Origin,%2C%20%E2%80%9Cdrop%20of%20the%20sea%E2%80%9D

Interesting,

This is the first time I am seeing Mary meaning something else other than 'bitterness'.
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by angelfallz(m): 3:58pm On Oct 19, 2020
bukatyne:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_(name)#:~:text=Origin,%2C%20%E2%80%9Cdrop%20of%20the%20sea%E2%80%9D

Interesting,

This is the first time I am seeing Mary meaning something else other than 'bitterness'.

that wiki page is too much could you narrow it down?
Also, from the first link i sent you, you would see that, it states clearly that meaning of the name Mary is not entirely known.
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by bukatyne(f): 4:00pm On Oct 19, 2020
angelfallz:

that wiki page is too much could you narrow it down?
Also, from the first link i sent you, you would see that, it states clearly that meaning of the name Mary is not entirely known.

I see.

Wiki gave about six different definitions. I am on my phone, can't help, sorry.

1 Like

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by stevedre: 4:17pm On Oct 19, 2020
pozehnani:

God will provide what you need to take care of their needs.

Amen to that, God bless you and your family.

1 Like

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by pozehnani(f): 4:54pm On Oct 19, 2020
stevedre:

Amen to that, God bless you and your family.

Amen.
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by KidDarkness(m): 6:11pm On Oct 19, 2020
pozehnani:
Now, people bear their children names based on the following

circumstances sorrounding the birth of that child.

Events that happened in the parents life either for good or bad.
Events that happened generally. like the case of covid 19 where a woman in China named her twins covid something. Can't remember now. But it was covid related.

So, these and several other circumstances and situation are things that give rise to the name a child is given.

Like my native name was given me as a result of my mum having only girls. She now added us (twins) to the girls on ground. Hahahah... so my dad gave me, IS GOD THAT GIVES BABIES. lol..
Indian couple named their twins Covid and Corona.

1 Like

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by pozehnani(f): 6:16pm On Oct 19, 2020
KidDarkness:

Indian couple named their twins Covid and Corona.

Lol.. yeah it's in India. I remember now.
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by Oizee(f): 6:43pm On Oct 19, 2020
crackhaus:

Probably because the names just sound really good.
lol, like flamingo, Mohammed in the Johnson named his daughter after a bird bcuz it sounds good
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by crackhaus: 8:05pm On Oct 19, 2020
Oizee:
lol, like flamingo, Mohammed in the Johnson named his daughter after a bird bcuz it sounds good
Lmao... Flamingo cheesy
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by descarado: 8:18pm On Oct 19, 2020
If you have twins e.g., u look for identical names.

Once a name sounds good to my ears and have okay meaning, I'm good to go
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by mariahAngel(f): 8:53pm On Oct 19, 2020
ChukChinCol:
The act of naming a child should be an avenue to test your creativity. Even if there were circumstances surrounding your child birth whether positive or negative and you chose to name the child after the circumstance, you have to be creative about it. If the events leading to the child's birth is not important, still you have to be creative. You can be Igbo but you like the sound of Spanish names, you can coin a smart spanish-igbo name that has never been. If God can create everyone differently, every new born deserves a unique name.

There are certain names we share in common with Spanish people.

Names like Esperanza means Hope.
Caridad means Charity.
Reina means Queen.
Milagros means Miracle
Princesa means Princess

They also bear common names Juan (pronounced Huan) as in John
James (pronounced Hames) as in James.
...and so on
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by mariahAngel(f): 9:00pm On Oct 19, 2020
bukatyne:

Interesting,

Marah means bitterness not Mary. If Mary meant bitterness, God would've changed it the way He did Abram to Abraham and Sarai to Sarah.
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by descarado: 12:14am On Oct 20, 2020
crackhaus:

Lol...

What does Alexander mean?
At least this one get meaning.
What of Blunt, Wood etc.

English names are very funny and weird.
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by naptu2: 3:21am On Oct 20, 2020
descarado:

What of Blunt, Wood etc.

Most of those names also have meanings. There are two things that you need to remember.

1) Words often have more than one meaning. It's possible that the name refers to a meaning that is different from the one that you are thinking of.

2) The English Language is derived from many sources including French (because of the Normans), German (because of the Saxons), Latin (because of the Roman occupation), Scandinavian languages (because of the Vikings), etc. Some of those names mean something different in the original language.

Woods in this case refers to a place with lots of trees, like a forest. The original meaning of the name Woods is someone that works in a forest (maybe as a lumberjack, hunter, etc). So most likely the baby's father works in the woods (that's why it's usually used as a surname).

Blunt is derived from French and it originally referred to people with blond hair.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by crackhaus: 8:36am On Oct 20, 2020
descarado:

What of Blunt, Wood etc.

Lol, I didn't want to engage that person in a conversation after he/she replied... But since you brought it up, the meaning of Alexander seems blehhhhh to me.
I don't mean to come off critical though, I'm just 'saying'... grin

Like you just name a child protector.
Protector of whom and what?

Like I noted earlier, these names sounds good and sure they'll have a meaning... but what exactly is the context of the meaning and how does it relate to that particular child, especially when it's a name that was pre-planned way before the child was even born.
This is always my curiosity cheesy
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by crackhaus: 8:41am On Oct 20, 2020
naptu2:

Most of those names also have meanings. There are two things that you need to remember.

1) Words often have more than one meaning. It's possible that the name refers to a meaning that is different from the one that you are thinking of.

2) The English Language is derived from many sources including French (because of the Normans), German (because of the Saxons), Latin (because of the Roman occupation), Scandinavian languages (because of the Vikings), etc. Some of those names mean something different in the original language.

Woods in this case refers to a place with lots of trees, like a forest. The original meaning of the name Woods is someone that works in a forest (maybe as a lumberjack, hunter, etc). So most likely the baby's father works in the woods (that's why it's usually used as a surname).

Blunt is derived from French and it originally referred to people with blond hair.
But honestly, aren't these reasons/meanings just funny and weird? grin

River, Skye etc.. LOL
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by angelfallz(m): 9:00am On Oct 20, 2020
crackhaus:

Lol, I didn't want to engage that person in a conversation after he/she replied... But since you brought it up, the meaning of Alexander seems blehhhhh to me.

Like I noted earlier, these names sounds good and sure they'll have a meaning... but what exactly is the context of the meaning and how does it relate to that particular child, especially when it's a name that was pre-planned way before the child was even born.

Haba a child can grow up to be a protector na. smiley

Also in the catholic church, children can also be named after saints, so it might not have to do with the meaning of the name, but the saint the child is named after.
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by crackhaus: 9:06am On Oct 20, 2020
angelfallz:

Haba a child can grow up to be a protector na. smiley

Also in the catholic church, children can also be named after saints, so it might not have to do with the meaning of the name, but the saint the child is named after.
I agree, but protector of?

This is where the origins of a name come into perspective for me.
I know, I can be weird... grin
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by angelfallz(m): 9:09am On Oct 20, 2020
crackhaus:

I agree, but protector of?

This is where the origins of a name come into perspective for me.
I know, I can be weird... grin

Lol. Mum, dad, family, community, children etc.

1 Like

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by naptu2: 9:23am On Oct 20, 2020
crackhaus:

But honestly, are these reasons/meanings just funny and weird? grin

River, Skye etc.. LOL

No, they are part of the normal naming system. It's just that some people have forgotten the meanings of the names or that the meanings of the words have changed.

In many cultures it is a tradition for members of a family to do a certain occupation. The knowledge is usually passed down from father to son and mother to daughter. In many such cultures the family name usually indicates that occupation.
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by crackhaus: 11:12am On Oct 20, 2020
angelfallz:

Lol. Mum, dad, family, community, children etc.
Then we are all Alexanders. Well at least most of us are, including you... grin

2 Likes

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by descarado: 11:16am On Oct 20, 2020
crackhaus:

Check it up, the meaning is diverse. Names evolve.
My name's were as a result of being twin. Very annoying and I changed them tongue cheesy

When my first kid was named by his dad( just allowed him and his family to name anything they feel like), I now looked up some names that have the similar sound or letters to match the first one for subsequent ones. Checked their meaning and they were ok.
Like the Kardashian's with k.

As long as names are short( people these days hate long names), has good meaning, I'm good.

But see names like destiny, blessing, goodness. Yuk cheesy
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by descarado: 11:22am On Oct 20, 2020
crackhaus:

But honestly, aren't these reasons/meanings just funny and weird? grin

River, Skye etc.. LOL
One of my lecturers is Mrs Blunt cheesy
Didn't know when I busted out laughing when she said her name is blunt. I've asked her,she said it's her family name and even told me weirder ones cheesy.

But, if u translate them to our various languages, we have such name o.
Ofia is somebody's name. That's bush.
We even have a wider ones grin
Though people now use such names as titled names e.g. ofia 1 of nairaland etc.
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by descarado: 11:24am On Oct 20, 2020
naptu2:

U are right. Mrs harmony cheesy
My name which is female is a male name in Romania grin.
And it's an insult if a female is called such there cheesy
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by crackhaus: 11:37am On Oct 20, 2020
descarado:

Check it up, the meaning is diverse. Names evolve.
My name's were as a result of being twin. Very annoying and I changed them tongue cheesy

When my first kid was named by his dad( just allowed him and his family to name anything they feel like), I now looked up some names that have the similar sound or letters to match the first one for subsequent ones. Checked their meaning and they were ok.
Like the Kardashian's with k.

As long as names are short( people these days hate long names), has good meaning, I'm good.

But see names like destiny, blessing, goodness. Yuk cheesy

Lol, names with diverse meanings are even more confusing.
Like I saw Buka and angelfalz trying to decide what Mary/Mariah actually means. Both of them are right anyway, because it can mean bitterness and also mean beloved – but why give a name with so much confusion (diversity) in meaning.

I can understand why you would change your twin name.
I too have found some traditional twin names to be a little unimaginative – most of them just mean first & second or senior & junior. Seriously, that's all?

You see those names you mentioned like Destiny, Blessing, Goodness... Do you know I even like them?
BUT not when given in these English versions oo.

I mean I like them when they are transcribed into a traditional dialect form (whether in Igbo, Edo, or Yoruba) and then given to a child – they seem more expressive.

Everything still boils down to a parents' choice anyway, but still... cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by crackhaus: 11:38am On Oct 20, 2020
descarado:

One of my lecturers is Mrs Blunt cheesy
Didn't know when I busted out laughing when she said her name is blunt. I've asked her,she said it's her family name and even told me weirder ones cheesy.

But, if u translate them to our various languages, we have such name o.
Ofia is somebody's name. That's bush.
We even have a wider ones grin
Though people now use such names as titled names e.g. ofia 1 of nairaland etc.
Imagine... cheesy
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by crackhaus: 11:39am On Oct 20, 2020
naptu2:

No, they are part of the normal naming system. It's just that some people have forgotten the meanings of the names or that the meanings of the words have changed.

In many cultures it is a tradition for members of a family to do a certain occupation. The knowledge is usually passed down from father to son and mother to daughter. In many such cultures the family name usually indicates that occupation.
Okay
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by Cityqueengirl(f): 1:49pm On Oct 20, 2020
It's the mother and father's decision. Some children has over 7 names but it's just 3 that would be used anyway
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by 99thEnemy(m): 7:20pm On Oct 22, 2020
Ishilove:

Isn't that the name of the Lord of the Rings character?
Yes oh! It is
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by naptu2: 7:31pm On Oct 22, 2020
Ishilove:

Isn't that the name of the Lord of the Rings character?

99thEnemy:
Yes oh! It is

You see, you guys remember Aragon because of Lord of the Rings while I remember Aragon because of Ferdinand and Isabella.

The marriage of Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabella of Castille created Spain.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by naptu2: 8:15pm On Oct 22, 2020
The truth of the matter is that names are like food. What seems normal to you might seem abnormal to someone else (frog legs, veganism, etc). Furthermore, names have many meanings and the reason one person might pick a name might be different from another person's reason.

For example, someone said that the name Arthur is chosen because people think it's cool. There's absolutely nothing cool about the name to me (it's just like any other name) and I could also say that people choose the name because of St Arthur.

Someone said that the name Aragon came from Lord of the Rings. It's a long time since I watched the first Lord of the Rings movie and I don't even remember their names or the plot, but I learnt when I was a little kid that the marriage of Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabella of Castille led to the creation of Spain (I read their entire story but I can't remember it now). Some people might name their child Aragon because they have some kind of connection with the place, or because they want their child to be like Ferdinand or because it means strong and valley.

Individual preferences differ. One man's meat is another man's poison.

2 Likes

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by obowunmi(m): 9:27am On Nov 07, 2020
Ishilove:

My sister, that is the most common na. I asked a Nairalander what his username Omiobo meant and he told me"monkey water". Obowunmi says his name means "I feel like owning a monkey."

No, Obowunmi is Puhssy love kiss kiss kiss. Not Monkey.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? / How Should I Handle Friends Requesting For Loan? / Managing Resources As Newly Married Couples.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.