Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,302 members, 7,822,492 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. (16861 Views)

Court Sends Senator Ndume To Prison Over Failure To Produce Maina / Faisal Abdulrasheed, Maina’s Son Pulled A Pistol Against DSS - EFCC Agents / R/S APC Crises Intensify As Supreme Court Gives Judgment Against Amaechi Camp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by vanida6: 4:03pm On Oct 19, 2020
…..Orji Kalu, Nyame, Dariye pressured me to stand surety for him, Ndume laments

By Ikechukwu Nnochiri, Abuja

The Federal High Court in Abuja, on Monday, gave Senator Ali Ndume who is representing Borno South, 21 days, to produce the former Chairman of the defunct Pension Reform Task Team, Abdulrasheed Maina, who has repeatedly failed to appear for continuation of his trial on money laundering charges.

The former pension boss is facing a 12-count criminal charge the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, preferred against him and a firm, Common Input Properties & Investment Limited.

Maina spent over seven months on remand at the Kuje Correctional Center before the court released on bail after Senator Ndume agreed to stand surety for him.

EFCC alleged that he used account of the firm and laundered funds to the tune of about N2billion, part of which he used to acquire landed properties in Abuja.

EFCC has already opened its case and called witnesses that included bankers and Maina’s relatives, who testified and tendered exhibits in evidence before the court.

However, the Defendant had since September 29, failed to appear in court for his trial, even as the prosecution alleged that he has jumped bail.

*Senator Ndume had on October 2 when the matter came up for trial, informed the court that he does not know the whereabouts of the Defendant.

Likewise, at the resumed proceedings on Monday, the lawmaker, lamented before the court that all his efforts to locate the 1st Defendant, proved abortive.

Ndume begged the court to issue an arrest warrant to enable security operatives to track down and apprehend Maina.

Ndume said he was willing to forfeit his own freedom to ensure that Maina is arrested and produced before the court.

Addressing the court after he was queried about Maina’s whereabouts on Monday, Ndume said: “My lord, I understand that the defendant is in Abuja and I did all I can to locate him without any definite result.

“My lord, I am constraint because I cannot take the law into my hand.

“I had reported to the DG SSS, the AIG of Police Investigation; I even wrote to police commissioner and I also reported the case to DPO of Jabi where the defendant resides.
“But my lord, even if I see Maina today, I can’t force him to come to court. I am appealing to u to issue a warrant on him.”

Trial Justice Okon Abang then reminded Ndume that the legal implication of such arrest warrant is that he would also be remanded in custody pending when Maina is apprehended.

“I don’t mind my lord. My concern is to have him in court so that I can continue my life”, Ndume responded.

He told the court he had only met Maina once in his life before he decided to stand as his surety, being the lawmaker that represents his constituency.

Besides, Ndume told the court that he was pressurized to stand surety for the Defendant by three former governors.

“As a senator serving him (Maina), his family, wife, mother and uncle appealed to me to stand as a surety.

“I went to prison to confirm for myself whether he was actually sick and the prison officers told me that he was actually sick and appealed to me to be his surety so that he could have access to medical attention.

“Orji Kalu when he was in prison then, Joshua Dariye, former Governor of Taraba, Rev. Jolly Nyame, all appealed to me in the prison to assist him.

“It took me eight months my lord to take that decision. In fact, I have to be given an indemnity by his uncle; signed by me, him and a lawyer that Maina would always be in court.

“He guaranteed but since that day, I went to Maitama Hospital to check their record, I went to Abuja Clinic, I went to the house he is purported to be living in Jabi, Abuja.

“This is one of the professional hazards we face as lawmakers, representing the good, the bad and the ugly.

“If I was not a serving senator, I wouldn’t have cause to stand as surety,” Ndume added.

He decried that Maina who claimed to be ill, had recently released a video clip which went viral on social media about his state of health, but refused to make himself available.

“I am helpless before you my lord. I appeal that such innocent citizens like me holding a public office for over one million people should not be subjected to this,” Ndume pleaded.

Earlier, EFCC’s lawyer, Farouk Abdullah, applied for leave of the court to try Maina in absentia.

He also urged the court to not only revoke Maina’s bail, but to also direct his surety, Ndume, to pay the sum of N500million, being the total bail bond.

Maina’s lawyer, Francis Oronsaye, opposed the application to revoke his client’s bail, though he also admitted not knowing his whereabouts.

“My lord, the information we have is that the Defendant is admitted in hospital after a surgery. He said he was undergoing treatment after the surgery and the location was not disclosed.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/10/money-laundering-court-gives-ndume-21-days-to-produce-maina/

3 Likes

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by chuka5000(m): 4:18pm On Oct 19, 2020
21days ultimatum my nyash

cash that'll be swept under the usual carpet in due time.

same james bond and james hadley chase story since I was born.

even if they convict him it'll be no different from OUK kinda prison story

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by nzeobi(m): 4:24pm On Oct 19, 2020
So maina has adopted this dodging tactics

6 Likes

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by Carnistar0: 4:28pm On Oct 19, 2020
He decried that Maina who claimed to be ill, had recently released a video clip which went viral on social media about his state of health, but refused to make himself available.

5 Likes

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by BigDawsNet: 4:28pm On Oct 19, 2020
Why is it okay for an ice company to commit fraud?
Their assets are already frozen wink

5 Likes

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by stZimli: 4:29pm On Oct 19, 2020
Visit my signature if you are into sports betting.
Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by yeyeboi(m): 4:29pm On Oct 19, 2020
Ik
Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by TOPCRUISE(m): 4:29pm On Oct 19, 2020
21 days. That's too long. He would have travelled to 21 countries by that time.

9 Likes

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by DennisEche(m): 4:29pm On Oct 19, 2020
SCAM, MAINA SAID HE IS NOT MISSING

2 Likes

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by Patrioticman007(m): 4:30pm On Oct 19, 2020
Na wash, this reminds me of Sinnator Abaribe case against FG, just because Nnamdi Kanu the great decided to jump bail, they charged the innocent Sinnator to court. Sinnator Ndume is not moved by the 21 days threat.

Commot road oga maina dey come

4 Likes

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by money121(m): 4:30pm On Oct 19, 2020
Ok
Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by gerrardomendes(m): 4:30pm On Oct 19, 2020
Thieves

1 Like

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by Fmghewzy(m): 4:30pm On Oct 19, 2020
Send the alaye to jail no waste time!!!
Anybody found guilty should be punished ASAP!!
Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by ILoveDemMANNA: 4:30pm On Oct 19, 2020
Oh yeah,
You are God, from beginning to the end.
There is no place for arguement,
You are all God by yourself.

This is a good development.
Nigeria will be great.
All corrupt politicians that have stolen the wealth of Nigeria will all cough it out in due season.
Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by ThisisBuhari: 4:30pm On Oct 19, 2020
Ndume right now..

2 Likes

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by lonlytroy(m): 4:30pm On Oct 19, 2020
Story4Amadioha
Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by Macadamemmy(m): 4:30pm On Oct 19, 2020
Like for #EndSARS

5 Likes

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by anytexy: 4:30pm On Oct 19, 2020
Chai! There was a country . A lot need to be protested about ....SMH

1 Like

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by adeniyi997: 4:31pm On Oct 19, 2020
Yes ke
Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by Rayjnr: 4:31pm On Oct 19, 2020
that's what they are good at, stoopid old men, corruption, forggery and stealing

1 Like

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by Factfinder1(m): 4:31pm On Oct 19, 2020
Very good
Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 19, 2020
when will you produce Tinubu for the bullion van saga.

1 Like

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by Mummyfour(f): 4:31pm On Oct 19, 2020
Since the #ENDSARS Protest began I have not heard from the "darling daddy crooners". Hope they are ok??

8 Likes

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by oluwaseunamos33(m): 4:31pm On Oct 19, 2020
mtchewww. na 2day. yeye set of pple. wht we go hear next be say he's in hospital bed and they will free him

1 Like

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by RaptObserver: 4:31pm On Oct 19, 2020
Maina is a great scammer. Since the beginning of his case, he has always been ahead of the government and the law. Ndume will just end his political career with this case.

1 Like

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by 9jatriot(m): 4:31pm On Oct 19, 2020
Why don't Nigerian courts try people in absentia?
That law should be removed so that people will stop using illness to avoid going to court.

If you are sick or run abroad and cannot come to court, no wahala, the case will go on and you will be sentenced in absentia

1 Like

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by Centcanada: 4:32pm On Oct 19, 2020
Tactics to make us not go ahead with our new modus operandi. Endsars-police brutality- swat and Buhari final burial now! Let's trend end buhari now for the good of our generation to come.
Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by ILoveDemMANNA: 4:32pm On Oct 19, 2020
Dear Youths,
Do not digress from the purpose of this protest please.
Let's keep on thr same we started.
Peaceful protest is the way to go.
#IStandWithAPeacefulProtest

All these prison break
Blocking of major roads,
Breaking of shops by some 'hoodlums' that I and others have been reading on Nairaland throughout today is not good news at all.
Let's keep the peaceful protest going if not,
We will all lose focus.
The lady below buttresses this point......

1 Share

Re: Money Laundering: Court Gives Ndume 21 Days To Produce Maina. by King44(m): 4:32pm On Oct 19, 2020
vanida6:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/10/money-laundering-court-gives-ndume-21-days-to-produce-maina/
Government

Movie Title Robe the Protesters

Producer: Buhari
Cast: Hoodlums
Objective: End The Protest with Military force
Settings: Edo, Lagos, Abuja

There is no where in Nigeria the protesters were violent, hoodlums were sponsored by the government to Rob the protesters as they have been trying all these while just to foil the peaceful protests.

Plans

Attack banks
Police station
Road safety
Illegal freeing of prisoners

Prisoners escaped he had time to pack bags and even do video shoot, they think we are no intelligent, they think we are stupid.

This is the time to be more united than ever and make the protest so peaceful and demands loud and clear.

All these are script play, they will soon run out of ideas, they are joking and we should hold the government responsible, we are unstoppable. Nigeria must be great by force

Don't let them use their lies and schemes to deceive us into making the protest vulnerable

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Consequences The "boko Haram's" Activities On The Nigerian Economy! / After Attempted Arrest, EFCC Invites Okupe Over Cyber Crime / APGA Catholics Accuse Archbishop Of Onitsha Of Aiding Priests To Campaign For LP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.