Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,308 members, 7,836,337 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria (29282 Views)

Kayan Mata, Cause Of Alarming Rate Of Divorce In Abuja, Other States / I Told My Husband That I Cheated On Him. Now He Wants A Divorce. / Unemployed Man Wins $273m Lotto Months After Divorce In US, Ex-Wife Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by ugodson(m): 4:32am On Oct 25, 2020
How long is this process,I heard it will take up to 4years Kindly reply
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by shadeyinka2: 5:12am On Oct 25, 2020
Tedpgrass:

It is what it is.
I'm not in support of the current trends but it is what it is.

People are getting more and more selfish in recent times..... and often letting go is the only way to keep one's sanity. Avoiding unnecessary rancour and in extreme cases, bloodshed.

Expectations are so unreal... The dogmatism often expressed is blinding... In my humble opinion, in some cases, It was a car crash waiting to happen, if you assess the life partner choices of certain people.

I agree with you. I just hate it when two immature adults venture into a contract they are unqualified for, select their own spouse among over 3billion eligible partners, breach their agreement to love and cherish each other in all situations and then selfishly assume that the children they have brought into the world by their actions will not be hurt!

I advocate that people should marry only when they are mature in mind and are wise enough to select a partner for the purpose of having an excellent marriage union.

Of course, when life is threatened, separation or divorce may be inevitable.

1 Like

Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by mrkings84(m): 5:51am On Oct 25, 2020
lefulefu:
if u are married to a psychotic partner and u want to break for the safety of ur life even God go understand

So God is too foolish and unwise that he will give and ordained a psychotic partner to a sane person and??

Receive wisdom!!

Happy Sunday!
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by mrkings84(m): 5:54am On Oct 25, 2020
Slynation:

Be there deceiving yourself... Even divorce on the ground of adultery/domestic violence was approved in the bible

Common sense is not common!

So u think God bless will ordain a marriage and it will turn to violence abi?

Happy Sunday anyway!
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by MSEdLAW(m): 6:20am On Oct 25, 2020
Easyosafo:
THE BIBLE DO NOT ENCOURAGE DIVORCE.

JESUS DO NOT ENCOURAGE DIVORCE.

JESUS TEACH US ABOUT ABSOLUTE FORGIVENESS.

JESUS TEACH US ABOUT NUMBER OF TIMES OF FORGIVENESS,NO MATTER THE GRAVITY OF THE OFFENSE, BEING IT ADULTERY. WE MUST FORGIVE 70×7=490 TIMES.

IN CASE COUPLE CANNOT STAY TOGETHER AS A RESULTS OF UNFAITHFULNESS,AND INTOLERANCE, THE ONLY WAY OUT IS TO FILE FOR SEPARATION

BOTH PARTNER ARE NOT ALLOWED TO REMARRY TO ANOTHER PERSON.THEY ARE TO STAY UNMARRIED.IF ANY ONE VENTURE IN MARRIAGE, COMMITTED ADULTEROUS.

MARRIAGE IS FOR BETTER AND FOR WORST.MARRIAGE IS A DIVINE INSTITUTES OF GOD,IT IS NOT A CONTRACT APPOINTMENT.

SO BE CAREFUL BE YOU FALL IN LOVE.

REMEMBER THAT THE MOMENT YOU FAIL MARITALLY IT WILL AFFECT YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD, AND EVENTUALLY MISS HEAVEN.

LEARN TO KEEP YOUR MARRIAGE NO MATTER WHAT. YOU CAN SEPARATE FROM THE WORLD, AND EVEN FROM THE CHURCH MAKE HEAVEN, BUT YOU CAN'T SEPARATE FROM FAMILY AND STILL MAKE IT TO HEAVEN. THE POSSIBILITY IS 1%.
MIND YOU HEAVEN IS SO REAL AND JESUS IS COMING SOON. PREPARE TO MEET HIM.

Did JESUS teach couples to be MATYRS in their marriages?
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Trillyonaire: 6:39am On Oct 25, 2020
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Oracleforce: 7:11am On Oct 25, 2020
JIMMY1393:

@ the bolded...that just contradicts everything you typed

And your brain is dead enough not to fill in the gap...

Abeg waka...
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Oracleforce: 7:13am On Oct 25, 2020
stayclearofme:

So na oyibo marriage wey no be scam? Una go siddon one place dey think to say na una own worst pass. Tell me about Asian or European marriages let me educate you. Maybe you are a leech!

It takes one to know one. idiot as if he has met me before
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 25, 2020
MadamExcellency:

Please, keep your presumptions and emotional tantrums aside. I am a career professional.

The divorce law is meant to protect the weak notwithstanding the sex hence my analogy of "presumed innocent" housewife who is generally the weakest in the game of legal relationship

You think we are in 19th century? Go back and consult law journals and court reviews to understand the purpose of divorce settlements.

Properties my foot. Properties that can be sold and yet can't solve a problem housewives prevent. Do you know because of my absence from home for work. My last born has damaged our belongings and that of others amounting to several millions which wouldn't have happened had I choose to stay home as housewife?

What a ridiculous question!
Go and stay home as an housewife na, lmao.
Only a lazy woman will be choose to be an housewife in this modern day, stop giving useless excuses. Employ someone to look after your kid or drop him or her off at daycare while you work.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by samguru(m): 8:13am On Oct 25, 2020
Plead:

Ask @Queenfav, @litigator and @lawyer.

Please can you help me with the contact of a good divorce lawyer
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:16am On Oct 25, 2020
samguru:

Ask those lawyers that I mentioned.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by stayclearofme: 8:34am On Oct 25, 2020
Oracleforce:

It takes one to know one. idiot as if he has met me before
Useless un educated mother fucker... check the dictionary meaning of the word "maybe"...dunce.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by MadamExcellency: 8:44am On Oct 25, 2020
Plead:

What a ridiculous question!
Go and stay home as an housewife na, lmao.
Only a lazy woman will be choose to be an housewife in this modern day, stop giving useless excuses. Employ someone to look after your kid or drop him or her off at daycare while you work.

95% of those housewives are ordered by the so-called rich husbands and wasn't a choice hence the sharing formula should be one for one.

You assume that my children are of daycare age? They are adolescents and boys that are too inquisitive, ambitious for inventions and always trying new things. Most times they need motherly supervision to overcome those common mistakes, hazards and risks which I see as a resemblance of full-time job.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:53am On Oct 25, 2020
samguru:

Send a WhatsApp message. I am a litigation lawyer.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Realashbobby(f): 9:48am On Oct 25, 2020
teemy:

Firstly, don't take any thought to resorting to self help as you will be found guilty if you do. Take a look at Davido's daughter Imade who was about to be taken abroad without the mother's consent. The plan was aborted when when the mum alerted the authorities. If it had not been resolved amicably, davido would have been facing a case of kidnapping despite the girl being his own daughter.

This is because in a lot of countries including our very own nigeria, a mother's consent is paramount and especially in a case of under aged kids, winning custody is very tricky and hardly given to the man unless the woman is seen as a threat to the child's welfare or as irresponsible. While the love may have waned between the two of you, the wellbeing of the child of not raised in a poisonous environment should not happen. You might want to take claim of your wife's actions as irresponsible but it is not above your limit to forego the money. Afterall, it is your child the money would be used to take care of. I implore you to overlook the manner the money was taken.

Personally, I think you should be appreciative of your wife leaving rather than letting discontent make her live with you only to otapiapia you one night. It is funny that some people are so mindful of the shame of divorce to the extent that they prefer killing their spouse over facing public ridicle. Your wife probably has another man and with the way her mum is acting, probably a rich one for that matter. Just don't drag woman issue here.

The only part about things is your boy. You can instigate a divorce proceeding and one of your pleas would be to have visitation rights to your son considering that judges would give the woman preference on child matters. It would be even okay if your wife gives a response of mutual divorce and you guys agree to visitation rights that would be spelt out. If she disagree to this would be when you can as well ask the court for full custody with a backup of visitation right should the court deny your your first request. Your lawyer will know how to draft this. You can also ask the court to compel her to consent to a DNA test and monitor the result if she insists about you not owning the child. She might be right. Keep that in perspective.

Concerning mama, give her a call that you want to file a missing persons report in your state and you would like her to come over to write her statement. The manner of how you met the house is suspicious of you being robbed and you want to set the police on the track of the robber. They will be tracking pictures of ATM withdrawals which will lead to catching who robbed you. Her response will tell you what you need to know. I expect you will be getting a call from your wife pretty soon.

Don't let the boy grow up disoriented. If you know your wife will keep him safe, no need going in guns blazing. Remember, she was once your beloved when you were both younger and more innocent. Take things easy.

Still, watch your back.

Wishing you well - Teemy

Thank you Temmy for taking your time to explain this. It's really beneficial and relief me of my worries.

I wont like to write volume of my divorce story. Presently, my husband has served me a petition and he is requesting for 2 things i. e Dissolution of marriage and custody of my our only child and son of 15months which I have birth to after 3 years of marriage through Ceasarian section..

Is there any law that supported that the son should be with me till he is of age 18 when he can decide on his own? My fear of this divorce is only this my son. Pls advise and explain what I don't know to me

Thanks
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by TheUndercover: 10:08am On Oct 25, 2020
mrkings84:
In a union ordained by God Himself, divorce is a NO NO!!
If it was ordained by God or if God was involved in the relationship progress, Divorce won't happen
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by samguru(m): 10:23am On Oct 25, 2020
litigator:

Send a WhatsApp message. I am a litigation lawyer.
Please send your phone number to
samguru78@gmail.com
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by tunjilana: 10:41am On Oct 25, 2020
Divorce is bad...

Take your time to choose rightly, dont rush into marriage, know the person you are getting married to, ensure you agree on many things. If possible get a counselor or guide to teach you to ask the right questions while dating

However when it is over, ensure you document it. Dont just japa(cos your spouse will come back and make huge claims if u ever become successful)

If possible, get a legal separation agreement documenting terms that are OK with both of you.

This will cover access to children, upkeep and sharing of property

Once u are able to do this, it will reduce the back and forth during divorce. You only pray the court to adopt that as the terms of settlement. As long as it was signed by both of you and your lawyers, and it has been filed,stamped in court, the judge has no reason to object

The judge will simply move for dissolution of the marriage and that is it
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Oketwin(m): 10:49am On Oct 25, 2020
Abiababe:
Thanks for the information, really helpful.

I have been getting lots of mentions. I didn't say am divorcing anyone, just happy i got more information about it.

Thanks for all the Love.
not even buhari ahahahahahah smiley
Abiababe:
Thanks for the information, really helpful.

I have been getting lots of mentions. I didn't say am divorcing anyone, just happy i got more information about it.

Thanks for all the Love.
not even buhari ahahahahahah
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Oketwin(m): 10:51am On Oct 25, 2020
iCauseTrouble:
There should be a change in marriage contract in the world and especially in Nigeria. Modern marriage contract should be for like 5 years with an option of renewal. If you enjoy it, you renew, if not, you leave and look for another partner
guy kole werk
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Faithfulness88: 10:53am On Oct 25, 2020
DIVORCE.Is it really necessary You can take sometime out of the marriage.Like separation for sometime .I have been there before attempting to divorce. By the grace of God a woman of God intervene I listened to her becos she herself has gotten to that level before.Truth is marriage is not easy but with God all things are possible.I am still married to my husband.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by mrkings84(m): 11:09am On Oct 25, 2020
TheUndercover:

If it was ordained by God or if God was involved in the relationship progress, Divorce won't happen

Yes. That's my point!
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Oracleforce: 11:14am On Oct 25, 2020
stayclearofme:

Useless[b] un educated[/b] mother fucker... check the dictionary meaning of the word "maybe"...dunce.

Product of adult education...you need to enrol for spelling class...
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by stayclearofme: 11:34am On Oct 25, 2020
Oracleforce:

Product of adult education...you need to enrol for spelling class...
Yes I am adult so show some respect. How much have you made with your English? Mr grammatical Inferiority complex kill you there.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Psych412(f): 11:39am On Oct 25, 2020
sammirano3:
Divorce is wrong. No matter how you put it. And note God does not recognise it. So stop deceiving yourself.
even when the husband tries to kill the wife or the wife tries to kill the husband.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 25, 2020
mrkings84:

So God is too foolish and unwise that he will give and ordained a psychotic partner to a sane person and??

Receive wisdom!!

Happy Sunday!
so all marriages na God choose the partner for them bah?
havent u heard of men and women who murder their partners?
havent u heard of women who stab their husbands?
have u not heard of men who kill their wives and bury them inside wall or the ground of the house?
when u are with a partner and u notice he or she is a psycho or that such a partner cant give u peace of mind then jakpa o
run
kawa
na ur life and peace of mind dey at stake
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Oracleforce: 1:48pm On Oct 25, 2020
stayclearofme:

Yes I am adult so show some respect. How much have you made with your English? Mr grammatical Inferiority complex kills you there.

Kill your lineage one by one.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by stayclearofme: 2:54pm On Oct 25, 2020
Oracleforce:

Kill your lineage one by one.
Lol....olodo...the thing pain am.

Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by mrkings84(m): 3:52pm On Oct 25, 2020
lefulefu:
so all marriages na God choose the partner for them bah?
havent u heard of men and women who murder their partners?
havent u heard of women who stab their husbands?
have u not heard of men who kill their wives and bury them inside wall or the ground of the house?
when u are with a partner and u notice he or she is a psycho or that such a partner cant give u peace of mind then jakpa o
run
kawa
na ur life and peace of mind dey at stake

Worst of these things u mentioned do happen in marriages. But my point is NONE OF THOSE THINGS U LISTED WIL HAPPEN IN A MARRIAGE THATS ORDAINED BY GOD.

ABEG IS THAT STATEMENT TOO AMBIGUOUS FOR SOMEONE LIKE U TO UNDERSTAND??
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:30pm On Oct 25, 2020
MSEdLAW:

Did JESUS teach couples to be MATYRS in their marriages?
bro some ppl will just misquote the bible to suit their own personal agenda cheesy
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 25, 2020
mrkings84:

Worst of these things u mentioned do happen in marriages. But my point is NONE OF THOSE THINGS U LISTED WIL HAPPEN IN A MARRIAGE THATS ORDAINED BY GOD.

ABEG IS THAT STATEMENT TOO AMBIGUOUS FOR SOMEONE LIKE U TO UNDERSTAND??
all i am saying is that if u are with an abusive partner run

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How I Helped My Sister With Food Items And Accessories To Take To Canada / What Is My Duty As A Married Woman? Help! / Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.