Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,713 members, 7,820,493 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Stopped Attending My Father's Church - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Stopped Attending My Father's Church (1143 Views)

My Father's Advice To Me When I Was Searching For A Wife... / How I Found My Father After 30yrs Through Nairaland / Couples Attending Different Churches,is It Wise? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stopped Attending My Father's Church by kinjiggy: 7:37am On Mar 10, 2011
My father is a pastor and he is the church founder and general overseer. After i finished secondary school i decided to start attending a different church due to reasons ranging from familiarity etc, but he threatened to kick me out of his house and stop funding my education so i decided to wait till i'm independent. Now that i'm on my own, I started attending a church of my choice. He reacted by saying that I'm an ungrateful child. My people, is there anything wrong in deciding to attend a different church?
Re: Stopped Attending My Father's Church by horny4u(f): 7:57am On Mar 10, 2011
None, Follow ur heart
Re: Stopped Attending My Father's Church by Blueice4re(f): 9:30am On Mar 10, 2011
There is nothing wrong in attending a church of ur chioce. But imagine your self asking your younger one (if u hav one) to do somtin and he or she refuses to do it or you hav somtin which ur younger one needs instead of asking from you he/she seeks it outside, you wont be happy. that extactly how ur father feels, he feels you dont see him leading the congregation in the right direction to christ.

Question pls, are you d only one not attending ur father's church in your family. And wat familiarity are you talking about.
Re: Stopped Attending My Father's Church by ifyalways(f): 10:27am On Mar 10, 2011
kinjiggy:

My father is a pastor and he is the church founder and general overseer. After i finished secondary school i decided to start attending a different church due to reasons ranging from familiarity etc, but he threatened to kick me out of his house and stop funding my education so i decided to wait till i'm independent. Now that i'm on my own, I started attending a church of my choice. He reacted by saying that I'm an ungrateful child. My people, is there anything wrong in deciding to attend a different church?
Nothing wrong in attending a different church.You only changed church and Not religion.
I know how you feel,been there too.My mum is a pastor and as a teen,going to same church with her,listening to her preaching always left me with this . .(for lack of better words I wud use )Cranky,odd and weird feelings.  undecided

You feel ill at ease because all eyes are on you,from peers to mothers . . .mothers expects you to be well behaved while your peers who knows what you are up to wonder if your preacher mum/dad knows who you really are.Too much and unnecessary pressure on you.

God help you if anything happens btwn u and your friends,you discuss it at home and your preacher parent decides(or led by the spirit) to preach on something related to that  grin . . .u go explain tire to your pals.

Most pastors kids attend a different branch of their parents church.
Re: Stopped Attending My Father's Church by MaiSuya(m): 11:40am On Mar 10, 2011
kinjiggy:

well, I don't think there's anything wrong per se. . .i have a question to ask

Is his messages in conformity with The Bible, or is it just the issue of familiarity that is making you uncomfortable?

while I can sympathize with what you must be going through, I think it behoves you to try and appreciate the kind of pressure your father must be under. His congregation are looking up to him, expecting in his life to be the perfect reflection of what he preaches, and his child attending a church different from that which he's pastoring will not, in my view, do justice to that reflection.

The impression amongst the congregation (at least that would be my impression were I to be in such a gathering) would be that his child doesn't believe his message.

think about it: If his very child doesn't believe in his messages, how then do you expect and outsider to do so?
Re: Stopped Attending My Father's Church by kinjiggy: 1:24pm On Mar 10, 2011
@ Blueice4re, That's exactly how he sees it, to ans ur question, Yes I'm the only one and he fears I might influence my other siblings. He's my dad, i know him better than any member of the congregation, I know no human being is perfect only our lord Jesus is perfect, so those little imperfections the congregation dont see is what i call familiarity.

@ Ifyalways, thanks for identifying with me jare, I've actually tried attending a branch church but it was even worse, everybody wants to please you, get ur opinion on whatever they intend to do and all that, they even gave me a name "GO's son". gosh!

@ mai suya, You sounded like my dad, it is not that something is wrong with the message or that I don't believe in his messages, There is this weird feeling i usually have each time i listen to his preaching and i believe it is as a result of too much familiarity that makes me feel that way.
Re: Stopped Attending My Father's Church by babyme1(f): 2:20pm On Mar 10, 2011
You are afraid he will make you a pastor soon grin

The only way you can get away with it is to relocate to another city.
Re: Stopped Attending My Father's Church by kinjiggy: 2:38pm On Mar 10, 2011
HAHAHAHAHAHAH grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

How did you know? my elder was ordained last year and i'm suspecting it would be my turn this year, i not ready for such responsibility now may be later. one of the reasons.
Re: Stopped Attending My Father's Church by PatKing(f): 10:48pm On Mar 10, 2011
I totally understand with you.
I was in the same shoe, once after secondary school (13 years ago) I changed church, and all hell got loosed on me,
I stood my ground, I was blunt enough to say "I don't belief in your ministry", UNBELIEVABLE, I know, but true.
He did not argue with me, cos we both knew how far. Though the church I joined is one in which my Dad and his Overseer are looking up to , (i.e Papa)
Today, am where I am because of the sudden decision I took, how?
i. I met people that influenced me
ii. I met challenges
iii. I trusted God more than my Dad for provisions
iv. I am a living testimony today.
Think about it very well, I guess your father may react less if U move to one he is looking up to as Mentor, with that he will see the thirst in you,
wish you the best.
Re: Stopped Attending My Father's Church by rubi(f): 6:49pm On Mar 11, 2011
You have the right to choose which church you want to go to

(1) (Reply)

Α Message From Tonia...........a Must Read For All Ladies!!! / Growing Up In An Abusive Home... / Relationhip And Single Mum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.