Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed (2174 Views)

Bus Bursts Into Flames On Third Mainland Bridge (Pictures) / Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 / What To Do If Your Tyre Bursts While On Top Speed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by emunenen(m): 11:22am On Oct 26, 2020
In such circumstances you may find yourself in a ditch even before you realise what's happening, but miracles still happen, si if you are still on the road and still have your sanity, here are 6 simple steps to take within 2 minutes and you will stop safely:

(1) DON'T PANIC in the event of a blowout, calm yourself down fast because your car will start misbehaving and you need to take charge.

(2) Hold FIRMLY to your steering wheel with both hand, NO VIGOROUS TURNING, as you concentrate on the road and your mirrors, in seconds study the movement pattern of the car. Your car will naturally swerve to the direction of the burst tyre.

(3) Take off your foot from the accelerator, DON'T EVER ATTEMPT TO PRESS THE BRAKES, IF YOU DO, YOU HAVE A 95% CHANCE OF A SOMERSAULT. The car will decelerate gradually while you concentrate on the road to avoid collision with any other road user.

(4) Disengage the gears of the car by shifting to neutral (N) as you still maintain a firm grip on the steering wheel and put your eyes on the road....[url]READ MORE http://www.magaripoa.com/share-what-to-do-when-a-tyre-blows-at-high-speed-kenyatraffic/ [/url]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by nurey(m): 11:28am On Oct 26, 2020
emunenen:
In such circumstances you may find yourself in a ditch even before you realise what's happening, but miracles still happen, si if you are still on the road and still have your sanity, here are 6 simple steps to take within 2 minutes and you will stop safely:

(1) DON'T PANIC in the event of a blowout, calm yourself down fast because your car will start misbehaving and you need to take charge.

(2) Hold FIRMLY to your steering wheel with both hand, NO VIGOROUS TURNING, as you concentrate on the road and your mirrors, in seconds study the movement pattern of the car. Your car will naturally swerve to the direction of the burst tyre.

(3) Take off your foot from the accelerator, DON'T EVER ATTEMPT TO PRESS THE BRAKES, IF YOU DO, YOU HAVE A 95% CHANCE OF A SOMERSAULT. The car will decelerate gradually while you concentrate on the road to avoid collision with any other road user.

(4) Disengage the gears of the car by shifting to neutral (N) as you still maintain a firm grip on the steering wheel and put your eyes on the road....[url]READ MORE http://www.magaripoa.com/share-what-to-do-when-a-tyre-blows-at-high-speed-kenyatraffic/ [/url]

Number 4 is a no no, never switch gear to Neutral when ever you loose control of vehicle, rather downshift to allow engine braking decrease your speed.

so if you are going down a slope and you switch to Neutral nah suicide mission be that

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by Sirmwill: 11:31am On Oct 26, 2020
nurey:

Number 4 is a no no, never switch gear to Neutral when ever you loose control of vehicle, rather downshift to allow engine braking decrease your speed.

so if you are going down a slope and you switch to Neutral nah suicide mission be that

Thank you oo
Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by CelestialSmash: 11:52am On Oct 26, 2020
nurey:

This. Use engine braking, don't shift to neutral.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by SamuelLoch: 12:19pm On Oct 26, 2020
What if the car is automatic, would putting your leg on the brake slightly and I mean slightly cause wreckage?

1 Like

Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by 9icetoo(m): 1:07pm On Oct 26, 2020
SamuelLoch:
What if the car is automatic, would putting your leg on the brake slightly and I mean slightly cause wreckage?
Don't even think about it.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by nurey(m): 4:17pm On Oct 26, 2020
CelestialSmash:

This. Use engine braking, don't shift to neutral.

Engine braking is used to reduce speed without the use of the brake pedals. Just switch the gear in quick succession to lower gears from 5 to 3 to 2 and the car would decelerate on its own.

Shifting gear to Neutral would answer the physics law "a body would continue in a state of motion unless acted upon by and external force"

Neutral would rely on external force to slow the vehicle down, if you are unfortunate to be on a sloppy ground or level ground, the speed would increase or remain same and that's a disaster.

3 Likes

Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by SamuelLoch: 7:12pm On Oct 26, 2020
9icetoo:

Don't even think about it.
But it would take a longer period of time for an automatic car to stop compared to a manual shift.
So holding the steering firm is sufficient?
Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by opey112(m): 7:22pm On Oct 26, 2020
Easier said than done
Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by olumzzz(m): 9:35pm On Oct 26, 2020
nurey:

Engine braking is used to reduce speed without the use of the brake pedals. Just switch the gear in quick succession to lower gears from 5 to 3 to 2 and the car would decelerate on its own.

Shifting gear to Neutral would answer the physics law "a body would continue in a state of motion unless acted upon by and external force"

Neutral would rely on external force to slow the vehicle down, if you are unfortunate to be on a sloppy ground or level ground, the speed would increase or remain same and that's a disaster.
Can you do this in an auto transmission?
Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by nurey(m): 7:50am On Oct 27, 2020
olumzzz:

Can you do this in an auto transmission?

yes, that's what D3, D2, L is for depending on what make and model of vehicle you are driving
Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by olumzzz(m): 8:14am On Oct 27, 2020
nurey:

yes, that's what D3, D2, L is for depending on what make and model of vehicle you are driving
How is this possible in a tyre burst.
Wont one need to press brake before downshifting?
Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by 9icetoo(m): 11:00am On Oct 27, 2020
SamuelLoch:

But it would take a longer period of time for an automatic car to stop compared to a manual shift.
So holding the steering firm is sufficient?
Yes. Just hold the steering firmly. Take your legs off the accelerator. That blown tire will introduce enormous drag to the car that will naturally slow the car down. Do not downshift. In an automatic, the drag introduced by the blown tyre and engine braking will slow your car down in less than 10 seconds to a manageable speed where you can steer to the side of the road. Watch your rear and side mirrors for other traffic.
Do not ever step on your brakes. Ever.
I am assuming the speed of the car is less than 140km/hr.
I've had a front wheel blow out in a Camry (automatic) along onitsha owerri road at 120km/hr. No fuss.
Had a rear blow out in an octavia (manual). Can't remember my speed. Didn't even downshift until speed dropped to about 80km/hr. And it was a rapid decrease in speed without brakes. Just engine braking.
Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by 9icetoo(m): 11:04am On Oct 27, 2020
olumzzz:

How is this possible in a tyre burst.
Wont one need to press brake before downshifting?
You don't need to step on your brakes to downshift in an automatic. From D to D3 or D2 can be done without stepping on the brakes but I do not advise you to do this in the event of a blow out. Just take your foot off the brakes accelerator and your car will slow down. Unless you are on a very steep incline and your car keeps gaining momentum, then you may downshift to D3 and subsequently D2. Mind the revs. Do not downshift when your revs are too high. You may lose control of the car, damage your engine and transmission and lose your engine braking effect.
modified.
Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by olumzzz(m): 11:31am On Oct 27, 2020
9icetoo:

You don't need to step on your brakes to downshift in an automatic. From D to D3 or D2 can be done without stepping on the brakes but I do not advise you to do this in the event of a blow out. Just take your foot off the brakes and your car will slow down. Unless you are on a very steep incline and your car keeps gaining momentum, then you may downshift to D3 and subsequently D2. Mind the revs. Do not downshift when your revs are too high. You may lose control of the car, damage your engine and transmission and lose your engine braking effect.
Great piece.
Thanks
Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by dadoctore(m): 1:36pm On Oct 27, 2020
Learned something today. Thanks gurus

1 Like

Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by Dtruthspeaker: 2:06pm On Oct 27, 2020
I do not think anyone can do anything with a burst tyre on high speed for a burst tyre in motion is bad (see how one bounces even on low speeds).

A burst on high speed? Death is over your head already.

The best advice is AVOID HAVING BURST TYRES AT ALL COSTS LESS THAN DEATH AND INJURY!

That is the only way!.

Tyres Almost Always burst because it is inflated therefore, if you must drive too fast, ALWAYS ensure that you are under-inflated before the speeding begins.

And after speeding, stop and guage your tyres to see if it is swollen.

If you have old tyres (because I know that there are people like me that unless the tyre is burst
or damagedd we would never change it), so ALWAYS CHECK them BEFORE and DURING THE the journey.

Whilst driving be SUPER-SENSITIVE To Vibrations and ANY CHANGE in Driving Smoothness. If Slight Change is detected, Stop and check your tyres.

I agree with road safety's data that more than 50% of accidents in Nigeria arise from burst tyres and Speeding.

Love yourself and drive safely!
Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by 9icetoo(m): 4:37pm On Oct 27, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:
[s]I do not think anyone can do anything with a burst tyre on high speed for a burst tyre in motion is bad (see how one bounces even on low speeds).

A burst on high speed? Death is over your head already.

The best advice is AVOID HAVING BURST TYRES AT ALL COSTS LESS THAN DEATH AND INJURY!

That is the only way!.

Tyres Almost Always burst because it is inflated therefore, if you must drive too fast, ALWAYS ensure that you are under-inflated before the speeding begins.

And after speeding, stop and guage your tyres to see if it is swollen.

If you have old tyres (because I know that there are people like me that unless the tyre is burst
or damagedd we would never change it), so ALWAYS CHECK them BEFORE and DURING THE the journey.

Whilst driving be SUPER-SENSITIVE To Vibrations and ANY CHANGE in Driving Smoothness. If Slight Change is detected, Stop and check your tyres.

I agree with road safety's data that more than 50% of accidents in Nigeria arise from burst tyres and Speeding.

Love yourself and drive safely![/s]
Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by Conner44: 12:20am On Oct 28, 2020
9icetoo:

You don't need to step on your brakes to downshift in an automatic. From D to D3 or D2 can be done without stepping on the brakes but I do not advise you to do this in the event of a blow out. Just take your foot off the brakes accelerator and your car will slow down. Unless you are on a very steep incline and your car keeps gaining momentum, then you may downshift to D3 and subsequently D2. Mind the revs. Do not downshift when your revs are too high. You may lose control of the car, damage your engine and transmission and lose your engine braking effect.
modified.

This post really helped me today. Maybe even saved my life.

I was driving at 130kmph on a smooth street of highway and my rear passenger tyre burst.

What I heard was ‘PAO’ and the steering started jerking left and right but mainly right (towards the side of the damaged tyre).

I just took my foot off the accelerator, then made a mistake of switching to neutral but immediately recollected myself and switchback into drive and held the steering firmly till the car slowed down enough me to consciously steer the vehicle to the shoulder of the road.

But I found out that this tyre bursts is a 50-50 thing, if you’re speeding along with other cars shoulder to shoulder, on a downhill slope or trying to overtake you will be in soup. I was lucky I was alone on that road at that time.

I also notice that the heavier the vehicle the better it’s stability whenever there a burst tyre Emmergency. I might be wrong though because I’ve never experienced a front tyre bursting on me before.

Thanks for this post, you were heaven sent.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by 9icetoo(m): 7:02am On Oct 28, 2020
Conner44:

I was driving at 130kmph on a smooth street of highway and my rear passenger tyre burst.

What I heard was ‘PAO’ and the steering started jerking left and right but mainly right (towards the side of the damaged tyre).

I just took my foot off the accelerator, then made a mistake of switching to neutral but immediately recollected myself and switchback into drive and held the steering firmly till the car slowed down enough me to consciously steer the vehicle to the shoulder of the road.

But I found out that this tyre bursts is a 50-50 thing, if you’re speeding along with other cars shoulder to shoulder, on a downhill slope or trying to overtake you will be in soup. I was lucky I was alone on that road at that time.

I also notice that the heavier the vehicle the better it’s stability whenever there a burst tyre Emmergency. I might be wrong though because I’ve never experienced a front tyre bursting on me before.

That's why cartalk is here. You are welcome.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by Dtruthspeaker: 7:22am On Oct 28, 2020
Conner44:

This what every driver since 1990 knows and does, yet many are dead and maimed, you are lucky as you said.

Even in travel section this morning, a luxury bus heading to Kano suddenly lost control and crashed into 4 cars killing them, I suspect, burst tyre!

I do not believe that there is any known skill to beat a burst tyre, it is a God help you situation. The best counter is to be very alert about your tyre condition whether it is new or old as you drive.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by Dtruthspeaker: 7:24am On Oct 28, 2020
9icetoo:

That's why cartalk is here. You are welcome.

Could you please offer any explanation to why my post is struck or incorrect?
Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by kingreign(m): 3:20pm On Oct 28, 2020
emunenen:

(3) [s]Take off your foot from the accelerator, DON'T EVER ATTEMPT TO PRESS THE BRAKES, IF YOU DO, YOU HAVE A 95% CHANCE OF A SOMERSAULT. The car will decelerate gradually while you concentrate on the road to avoid collision with any other road user.

(4) Disengage the gears of the car by shifting to neutral (N) as you still maintain a firm grip on the steering wheel and put your eyes on the road....[/s]
[url]READ MORE http://www.magaripoa.com/share-what-to-do-when-a-tyre-blows-at-high-speed-kenyatraffic/ [/url]
Death sentence loading

1 Like

Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by kingreign(m): 3:25pm On Oct 28, 2020
I cannot count the number of times I've had a high-speed tyre blow out.

The key is to be aware of the situation at all times. How? Learn to understand what you are driving and communicate with the car. Know it's limits and know your limits and adhere strictly to the limits.

When tyre blow out occurs, there's a sudden downwards and lateral movement of the vehicle towards the damaged tyre, the key is to try to avoid or minimize such movement.

When you have a tyre blow out up front, slam on the accelerator pedal flat and keep the steering straight, when the car has stabilized and slowed down, you can pull over.
When you have a rear tyre blow out, do NOT throttle hard, take foot off throttle. DO NOT touch the brakes or shift to neutral.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by 9icetoo(m): 7:21pm On Oct 28, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Could you please offer any explanation to why my post is struck or incorrect?
1. There is always something you can do in the even t of a blowout. Always something positive. Death is not hanging over anyone's head as a result of a blowout.
2. Underinflation is the major cause of blowouts and not overinflation. Underinflation is worse than overinflation. The sidewalls need pressure to stay rigid. Without adequate pressure, they flex too much, heat up and boom.
3. When properly inflated, tires probably add about 4-8 psi due to heat buildup when driven at regular road speeds. I've monitored this severally and it has remained true at least on my car.
4. 50% 0f accidents are not due to overspeeding.
Most accidents occur due to sudden change in road conditions (potholes, unmarked bumps) bends, distractions (phones, sleep, entertainment systems), mechanically deficient vehicles and belligerent drivers.

Even if a keke marwa has an accident, frsc will still tell you it's due to overspeeding.

A good driver should be aware at all times and be prepared for sudden changes in vehicle behaviour so he can take actions to manage whatever situation arises.
Re: What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed by Dtruthspeaker: 10:07pm On Oct 28, 2020
9icetoo:

1. There is always something you can do in the even t of a blowout. Always something positive. Death is not hanging over anyone's head as a result of a blowout.
2. Underinflation is the major cause of blowouts and not overinflation. Underinflation is worse than overinflation. The sidewalls need pressure to stay rigid. Without adequate pressure, they flex too much, heat up and boom.
3. When properly inflated, tires probably add about 4-8 psi due to heat buildup when driven at regular road speeds. I've monitored this severally and it has remained true at least on my car.
4. 50% 0f accidents are not due to overspeeding.
Most accidents occur due to sudden change in road conditions (potholes, unmarked bumps) bends, distractions (phones, sleep, entertainment systems), mechanically deficient vehicles and belligerent drivers.

Even if a keke marwa has an accident, frsc will still tell you it's due to overspeeding.

A good driver should be aware at all times and be prepared for sudden changes in vehicle behaviour so he can take actions to manage whatever situation arises.

Thank you for your response! Your analysis is well considered for I did not have under inflation in mind when I said "under-inflated". It is rather that I noticed that people do not use the tyre pressure information on the car but rather use the standard Vulcaniser Approved 40Psi meanwhile the car says 30psi or 29psi.

In the city I do not mind the 40psi but when travelling I am going down to the recommended 30psi and after some hours of driving I check them. grin Aside the fact that I love living, I do not want and do not like my vehicles being damaged at all.

And I know that most people still use the same tyres they used in the city to travel without watching it, I think that is quite very dangerous.

(1) (Reply)

Difference BTW Corrola Ce/le And Corrola Altis / Mercedes Benz 190e Fuel Injector Problem / Vehicle Is Registered In Lagos And You Are NOT Based In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.