Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,088 members, 7,818,266 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers (54823 Views)

Those Who Criticize Desmond Elliot Are Praising Peter Obi / Peter Obi Condemns Social Media Attacks On Pastor Adeboye / #EndSARS: Desmond Elliot Reacts To Judicial Panel Report (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by Urekaure: 3:07pm On Oct 29, 2020
peacettw:
I agree with Desmond.

Social media is a vast sea of uncharted territory and regardless of its benefits, it has proven countless times to be deadly - a potential weapon of mass destruction - that lacks any clear stringent regulatory laws to curtail its excesses.

And irrespective of what you and I may think now, let it be clear that a time will surely come when the world will collectively agree that this hydra-headed monster called social media must be reigned in to mitigate against future man-made disasters.

We have more important and urgent things to do than a social media bill.

Fereral government is one of the main purveyor of fake news.

1 Like

Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by cohug: 3:07pm On Oct 29, 2020
Kai, see disappointment
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by Thonee(m): 3:08pm On Oct 29, 2020
Oh, Demon Idiot!

1 Like

Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by peacettw: 3:08pm On Oct 29, 2020
DonroxyII:
If we are committed and dedicated to development and progress ... Social media can never put Nigerians against her government ...

Imagine a Nigeria where soldiers will kill civilians and the entire social media will say No, Nigerian Army will never kill Nigerian citizen... kpatakpata they will arrest him or her ....

ohhh, Nigerian police can never flout rule of engagement...

Oh. No, our armies are well trained and highly disciplined , they can never cock guns against non weapon bearing civilians ....

Our people ain't stupid nor fool abeg

If we can successfully protest to ENDSARS today, I see no reason why we all can't protest to end the army's infringement of our rights if it comes to that.

I will rather defer to some laws than no laws when it comes to social media
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by justmondris: 3:09pm On Oct 29, 2020
lalasticlala:
#EndSARS: Lagos House Of Assembly Member, Hon. Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Motivational Speakers & Social Media Influencers.

Desmond Elliot, while reacting to the recent EndSARS protests and Lekki killings, in Lagos House of Assembly said:

"Social media has its negative impact.
Please celebrities, social media influencers, stop the hatred already."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7o5XyZiDFE

what do you expect when he his now a thief like them?
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by peacettw: 3:09pm On Oct 29, 2020
Urekaure:

We have more important and urgent things to do than a social media bill.

Fereral government is one of the main purveyor of fake news.

And hopefully the laws that will be created can help curb that. It's a tall order I know but we need to start from somewhere
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by inoki247: 3:11pm On Oct 29, 2020
Carlylepneuma:
are u sayin because the politicians are all the same the youths also should be dsame and be wayward by takin laws into their hands? Secodly Wether before or after lekki happend wat concerns oba's palace with ur chaotic protest?

Oga it seems the Oba is ur fada abi after everything turn upside down everyone that has a score to settle use that Avenue to settle it... Is Akinolu the only Oba in Lagos we av dem Saheed Elegushi nd dem Oniru. when you're good to people around you shiit won't happen to you case study The Olojora of ijora e deserve everything that happen to him if e still love himself is time he ammend is way nd get close to his people....
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by UKBobo(m): 3:11pm On Oct 29, 2020
FOOL..ANI BOOT LICKER
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by mentored: 3:12pm On Oct 29, 2020
Commentor:

This is how you lot go about lying to the young and ignorant ones around you.

Germany:

https://www.dw.com/en/german-court-sentences-facebook-user-to-jail-for-xenophobic-comments/a-36069082

UK:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/aug/16/uk-riots-four-years-disorder-facebook

USA:

https://www.nhpr.org/post/teenager-arrested-social-media-post-asks-bail-prosecutors-disagree

As Elliot said, except you are not a Nigerian , you die here.

Oga Commentator

With the above pictures you posted

Our President would have been in jail by now.

The son of a governor would have been picked up by now

even the Governor himself would have been in prison.

An offender is NOT QUALIFIED TO MAKE A LAW

EVEN LIAR MOHAMMED KNOWS!!!

YOU CAN'T GO BORROW A LAW IN AN ORGANIZED SYSTEM AND DUMP IT IN A SYSTEM IN CHAOS
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by victorazy(m): 3:13pm On Oct 29, 2020
inoki247:
Fool in Disguise... Is that what your constituency send u.... You've been yearning rubbish lately like you share same brain with Femi Adeshina....

You can't ask the right question na rubbish u dey talk...

*** who ordered the shooting that cause the looting...

His name Desmond Idiot...
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by Commentor: 3:14pm On Oct 29, 2020
mentored:

Oga Commentator

With the above pictures you posted

Our President would have been in jail by now.

The son of a governor would have been picked up by now

even the Governor himself would have been in prison.

An offender is NOT QUALIFIED TO MAKE A LAW

EVEN LIAR MOHAMMED KNOWS!!!

YOU CAN'T GO BORROW A LAW IN AN ORGANIZED SYSTEM AND DUMP IT IN A SYSTEM IN CHAOS

What is wrong with those people being arrested?

What you are saying in actual sense, is that we are primitive people who are swayed by emotions rather than facts or logic and so bringing laws alien to us even if it would dampen our predilection for violence should not be considered.

It's a shame.
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by ddeola: 3:24pm On Oct 29, 2020
Dis wan don join dem. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by SpatialKing(m): 3:25pm On Oct 29, 2020
authority2006:

At least, the word massacre is being used less frequently these days. Common sense is taking over gradually.
Desmond Elliott spoke the mind of sensible Nigerians. Celebrities and social media influencers set Nigeria on fire with their fake news and pictures.
Who ordered it?
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by GistFullGround: 3:26pm On Oct 29, 2020

He is full of shiiiiit!

If you don't like the heat, then leave the kitchen...

Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by Carlylepneuma: 3:28pm On Oct 29, 2020
inoki247:

Oga it seems the Oba is ur fada abi after everything turn upside down everyone that has a score to settle use that Avenue to settle it... Is Akinolu the only Oba in Lagos we av dem Saheed Elegushi nd dem Oniru. when you're good to people around you shiit won't happen to you case study The Olojora of ijora e deserve everything that happen to him if e still love himself is time he ammend is way nd get close to his people....
in that case soldiers too had a score to settle with the thugs at lekki so they used that "Avenue" so stfu. how bout that?
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by TOPCRUISE(m): 3:31pm On Oct 29, 2020
Desmons Elliot is good at acting. He can't do Jack sad
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by Farki: 3:33pm On Oct 29, 2020
Commentor:

And when they run, they take every member of their family, nuclear and extended right?

What is your own location right now?

Taking about the laws:

Laws are made to address past, immediate and future societal issues.

Till tomorrow, people would be arrested, prosecuted, convicted and jailed for their so-called "freedom of speech" once they seen to incite, promote violence and debased others.

Many of you don't even know what you are breeding.

Continue to miss the point of what I wrote. Just look at the sheer number of Nigerian sportsmen and women representing Bahrain, England, America and so on. The large swathes of doctors getting working visas as soon as they are out of medical school. You will continue to miss the point and Nigeria will continue to suffer because your head is placed firmly in your rectum.

I know the way the APC government wants to use this law is in silencing those who criticise them as seen in several other countries when failed leaders rely on force to maintain power.

Maybe because you think the current government will last forever you are talking like this. The opposition will use it to beat the likes of you relentlessly.

1 Like

Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by Forumobserver12(m): 3:36pm On Oct 29, 2020
That's what you get when politicians owned their allegiance to godfathers instead of the masses...

I don't expect anything different from Desmond Elliot....
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by okiki20593: 3:38pm On Oct 29, 2020
So interesting... Now that he's a politician, his opposition and position are more different from his colleagues'.
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by timbabng(m): 3:40pm On Oct 29, 2020
OZOnNengiTheory:
He is actually making sense, but as expected, our emotional and dumb yooots will curse him

We have to carefully look at things before jumping into conclusions. Nigeria has had it's fair share of riots and protests, but this last one speaks volumes. I saw videos of people removing hand railings from buildings, removing roofing sheets, removing metal rods from windows, stripping car parts and taking them away to sell!
There is only one explanation for their actions; "HUNGER" and "HOPELESSNESS".

The ruling class is more concerned about regulating social media, which translates to taking away freedom of speech because it affects them. But they never ever talk about the root cause of the problem.

Because majority of us are not in the lower class, we think the actions of the looters are crazy, but when a grown man takes his kid to steal used mattress and a pregnant woman is kicking down the door to a food store, then there's more to it.

If things don't change for good soon, the middle and upper class citizens of Nigeria will be at the mercy of the lower class when anarchy starts.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by Commentor: 3:56pm On Oct 29, 2020
Farki:

Continue to miss the point of what I wrote. Just look at the sheer number of Nigerian sportsmen and women representing Bahrain, England, America and so on. The large swathes of doctors getting working visas as soon as they are out of medical school. You will continue to miss the point and Nigeria will continue to suffer because your head is placed firmly in your rectum.

I know the way the APC government wants to use this law is in silencing those who criticise them as seen in several other countries when failed leaders rely on force to maintain power.

Maybe because you think the current government will last forever you are talking like this. The opposition will use it to beat the likes of you relentlessly.

Again I ask, what's your location?
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by Urekaure: 3:59pm On Oct 29, 2020
peacettw:

And hopefully the laws that will be created can help curb that. It's a tall order I know but we need to start from somewhere

Let's start from good governance.
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by myrates: 4:01pm On Oct 29, 2020
Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Na wa o! Desmond Idiot.... shocked shocked
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by luv2rolly(m): 4:03pm On Oct 29, 2020
Video saved! next idiot please....
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by Farki: 4:06pm On Oct 29, 2020
Commentor:

Again I ask, what's your location?

What's your business with my location?

1 Like

Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by Emanodimo(m): 4:06pm On Oct 29, 2020
Bola146:
I just hope this guy has children

He should.

I wish his constituency can relegate him and Mrs, Tinubu using a constitutional means PVC in the next election.

If they can't do that... then I will congratulate him as a typical Nigeria and walk away....
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by NaMeAboki: 4:07pm On Oct 29, 2020
He spoke the truth but it seems like many of them are too young or dumb to share his wisdom.

Many cannot even see how easily they are being manipulated and incited into hatred and disunity along ethno-religious and political lines. SMH!

1 Like

Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by peacettw: 4:08pm On Oct 29, 2020
Urekaure:

Let's start from good governance.

I don't see why we can't multitask
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by Newboss(m): 4:08pm On Oct 29, 2020
BRIGHTRIVERS:
This is the reason I fear a youth leader. I don't even know what our problem is in this country. It obviously is not in the age of our leaders
You have sense.

#fact
Re: Endsars: Desmond Elliot Condemns Social Media, Blasts Celebrities, Influencers by Commentor: 4:12pm On Oct 29, 2020
timbabng:

We have to carefully look at things before jumping into conclusions. Nigeria has had it's fair share of riots and protests, but this last one speaks volumes. I saw videos of people removing hand railings from buildings, removing roofing sheets, removing metal rods from windows, stripping car parts and taking them away to sell!
There is only one explanation for their actions; "HUNGER" and "HOPELESSNESS".

The ruling class is more concerned about regulating social media, which translates to taking away freedom of speech because it affects them. But they never ever talk about the root cause of the problem.

Because majority of us are not in the lower class, we think the actions of the looters are crazy, but when a grown man takes his kid to steal used mattress and a pregnant woman is kicking down the door to a food store, then there's more to it.

If things don't change for good soon, the middle and upper class citizens of Nigeria will be at the mercy of the lower class when anarchy starts.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

You are more concerned about the hypothetical case of leaders misusing it than the reality of seeing your immediate community burn.

Many of you would not be finding transportation easy for the next 2 years at the very least.

Many of you would experience a high wave of crime never before witnessed due to the inability of the police to function even at the previous lowly levels due to the vandalism that followed the broadcast of fake news.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

The New Face Of Aso Rock / Gunshots At Dangote Refinery Ibeju-Lekki Protest (Video) / IPOB/Yoruba Nation: IBB Finally Speaks On Nnamdi Kanu, Igboho Agitations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.