Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,307 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

Dangote is killing Nigeria's economy gradually. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote is killing Nigeria's economy gradually. (3001 Views)

Dangote Is Africa's First $20 Billion Man, Now 25th World Richest! / Dangote Is World's 43rd Richest Man - Forbes / Aliko Dangote Is Richer Than Roman Abromovich (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote is killing Nigeria's economy gradually. by oluwabamis(m): 10:09pm On Mar 12, 2011
since i heard the news of dangote's new position on the forbes list, i have never ceased to wonder how he could have made about $10b in just one year. i dont want to believe that all his businesses could fet ch him that profit. there is something else going on with him. i know many of you will shout me down but i wont keep quiet. this man is actually plundering our economy, he had been handed a monopoly of almost every important goods and services, its unfortunate that he is handling too much of commercial activity in the country and still more opporrtunity is given him. there is danger in having one man controlling so much wealth in a nation of predominantly poor people who can afford 3 good meals a day.
Re: Dangote is killing Nigeria's economy gradually. by Antiscam1: 12:00pm On Mar 13, 2011
hear urself;i'm ashamed of ur belittled mind!
monopoly?give example
Jeaslousy?Work harder so that ur children wont complain like u while DANGOTE children takeover 4rm him.
Re: Dangote is killing Nigeria's economy gradually. by oluwabamis(m): 9:30pm On Mar 13, 2011
you dont seem to understand how economics work. if you dont know dangote is unfairly favoured when it comes to business, then go back to school, I am comfortable as at today, and my children are on their path to a wonderful lifes. bulk of nigerian business people had been destroyed by government's undue favouritsm to dangote over the years. You may not realised this because you are not informed. dangote started his business carrer with goverment assistance, and has been receiving serious backing from the goverment from one regime to another, Is is not the likes of dangote that is importing diesel, and making the effort of the government to be fruitless. He is also a part of the cabal that import generators into this country. let me have ur feedback
Re: Dangote is killing Nigeria's economy gradually. by Antiscam1: 12:47pm On Mar 14, 2011
Yes,i'm not informed.Pls inform me
U claim dangote imports diesel,fine!.how is dat d defination of monoply
because my uninformed mind also knows dat ZENON OIL is d biggest importer of diesel in NIG
others are Obat oil,AP,CONOIL,Capital oil etc>>>>>>NONE of d above belongs to dangote
so i suggest u should REDEFINE ur MONOPOLY
SECONDLY,u claim dat dangote imports generation.dis is an allegation because dangote does not
do business on a small scale there4 all his companies has no hidden identity which exlcluding generator importation.

It is obvious dat u are probably not living in NAIJA,or u just choose to attack him base on bad belle!
because no one living in NAIJA will call dangote a generator importer!,an even if he does how is dat d defination of
MONOPOLY(ur reason 4 calling 4 his head)
Re: Dangote is killing Nigeria's economy gradually. by crown56: 10:00pm On Nov 03, 2011
how can a man without no formal education handle millions that belongs to several hand working people.
the people with the brain are not in power while the scumbags are there to steal all the money in a ghana-must-go-bag, e.g Dangote, obasonjo am embarassed
Re: Dangote is killing Nigeria's economy gradually. by richerdex: 12:41am On Nov 04, 2011
Let us refrain from calling ourselves names. The truth is, monopoly is not really good for the economy. And yes, Dangote is highly connected and favored in business in Nigeria. A few examples;

The cement Industry:

You can't build a house without giving dangote some money.
Ibeto tried to start his own cement factory and later they closed it down for 6 months because he had 'drugs' in the factory. During that time, Dangote was able to win all this customers,

Sugar Industry:

Dangote supplies 7up bottling company and probably supplies NBC as well. He runs the sugar business.

Textile Industry:

After government banned importation of clothes (or made it expensive) to 'support' local manufacturers, it was only Dangote who benefited. Why? Because he was the only one that was allowed to import fabric at the time.

Now whether these are mere coincidences or whether they are plotted I can't be sure. However, consider that Dangote is a sponsor of many government officials, and you know what that means.

But to be astute, he is a superb business man. After all, he is not the only one who is connected.

He is using what he has, to get what he wants. So we can all take an example from Dangote.

And if we feel that he has monopoly, then it is up to the young entrepreneurs to stop him.

Look at Steve Jobs vs Bill Gates.

Although Bill Gates was still on top, Steve Jobs put up an effective challenge against Bill.

That Dangote is on top is good for business.

A monopoly can be killed with competition.

Cheers

Dex
Re: Dangote is killing Nigeria's economy gradually. by page9(m): 6:48am On Nov 07, 2011
While I want to appreciate the efforts of people like Dangote and his likes for investing heavily in d domestic economy thereby creating employments for thousands of Nigerians and foreigners alike. His case is better than the Military juntas(like Abacha) and politicians who stole and are still stealing billions to help other economies that are far better than Nigeria.

Having said that, the poster has some merits in his argument. Dangote's success has been largely fuelled by his very close relationship with the central govt especially since 1999.

From  June 12 political deadlock up until 1999, business was not too bouyant for most businesses in including his. But after Obasanjo was sworn in,remember the N130million campaign fund donation which was reportedly traced to Dangote.

Someone was comparing what obtains in United States with Nigeria using Bill Gates and Steve Jobs as an example. Given the degree of corruption here,it's very difficult though not impossible for a greenhorn to take on someone like Dangote in business competition.
Have you heard about Union Dicon Salt Plc?
It's a fact that an average bizman all over the world hates competition but when d govt "might" is used to the detriment of competitors and the nigerians at large, it calls for concern.
In sugar, rice, salt, cement etc he is a dominant factor.
But for Yar'adua, Dangote and Otedola would have bought the refineries through the back door.It was Umar Musa Yar'adua that cancelled most of the deals
Likewise, there were allegations of his involvement and  in some unethical activities in stock market which were eventually swept under the carpet. Most collective. Assets of Nigerians have been sold to these handful individuals  including Dangote,Jimoh Ibrahim,Femi Otedola etc for peanuts by Obasanjo's administration. The recent revelations on BPE activities confirmed it and these moneybags give the impression of working hard for
every dime they earn.
We know why Nigeria is not making progress. It all boils down to corruption between the so called business class and Politicians.
Want evidence? Just look around you, what do you see?
Re: Dangote is killing Nigeria's economy gradually. by HECTORBOSS(m): 10:11am On Nov 07, 2011
i wonder if you can afford a 3square meal! change your thought and change your life. you are the only limit you've created for yourself.
Re: Dangote is killing Nigeria's economy gradually. by page9(m): 10:02am On Nov 21, 2011
@hectorboss
You wonder if I have 3 square meal? Are you a Dangote apologist? How does my 3 square meal relates to the topic?

Un-cultured pple usually attack personality instead of addressing d issues.

FYI, I'm more than comfortable. I've over 100 pple on my pay-roll.

That should give you an idea of my status.
I decline to join issue with pple like & I will not respond to you anymore because it does not worth my while.
Re: Dangote is killing Nigeria's economy gradually. by Eforce1: 12:05pm On Nov 21, 2011
shocked

(1) (Reply)

The Best Sector To Invest In Nigeria / Internet/Affiliate Marketing Thread: Get Free Tutorials And Resources Here / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.