Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,231 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:11 AM

Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor (49504 Views)

Cross River PDP Primaries Turn Violent. Policeman Shot Dead, 2 Wounded (Photos) / Policeman Shot Dead At Checkpoint In Onitsha, Patrol Van Burnt (Disturbing Pix) / Rihanna Reacts To Lekki Shootings, voices support for ENDSARS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by naptu2: 6:06pm On Nov 03, 2020
Oyigbo clashes: 'Nigerian security agents shot dead my fiancée'

By Chioma Obianinwa BBC News Igbo, Lagos

03 November 2020

Monday Bakor

Nigerian security forces are carrying out extrajudicial killings in Oyigbo, say residents of the town in southern Rivers state.

They accuse the army of carrying out revenge killings after authorities said three policemen and six soldiers were killed by members of a proscribed separatist group.

Amnesty International also said it had received reports that "soldiers are allegedly invading homes" and that "some residents reported seeing dead bodies on the street, allegedly shot by soldiers".

Monday Bakor, 36, told BBC Igbo that police officers shot dead his fiancée Queen Nwazuo on 22 October while they were both locking up their barbing salon.

"I saw the policeman wearing [a] red beret. Before I could know, I heard a very loud sound, not in the air, directly at the shop. The bullet pierced through the iron door and hit her," he said.

"I rushed her to a hospital where she was confirmed dead," he added.

Police spokesman Nnamdi Omoni told the BBC that no report had been made of the incident.

Mr Bakor said he could not do this because of a 24-hour curfew in the area and pointed out the closest police stations had been burnt down.

What is the trouble about?

Authorities say members of the Indigenous People of Biafra - Ipob, proscribed as a terrorist organisation in 2017 by Nigeria's federal government - targeted security operatives in Oyigbo as tensions spilled over following the #EndSars protests against police brutality in the country.

Ipob members have had deadly clashes with Nigeria's security agencies in the past

Ipob is seeking independence for Igbo-speaking parts of south-eastern Nigeria. A civil war in the area from 1967-70 caused the deaths of about a million people.

Oyigbo is a known Ipob stronghold.

Two police stations and a hospital in the area were burned on 21 October as widespread mayhem erupted after protesters against police brutality were shot at the Lekki toll gate in Lagos .

Encouraged by their leader Nnamdi Kanu, Ipob members are accused of attacking security operatives in eastern Nigeria.

Clashes with the army in Abia state spilled over into the neighbouring Oyigbo town in Rivers state.

Ipob activists are accused of burning down three police stations in the area and killing three policemen, after one of them was killed during a protest at a police station in Oyigbo.

What does the government say?

Rivers state Governor Nyesom Wike imposed a 24-hour curfew on 23 October in Oyigbo as the violence threatened to spiral out of control but said on Monday that soldiers had not been killing people in the area.

"It is not correct that soldiers are going from house to house to kill.

"When the Ipob killed the Army officers, they took their guns. It is normal for them [army] to recover those guns. In any case, there are consequences when soldiers are killed," Mr Wike said on Monday.

The governor last month banned demonstrations in the state on the eve of a peaceful #EndSars protest but protesters defied him, marching to government house in the state capital, Port Harcourt, and forcing him out to address them.

Mr Wike said authorities were not targeting any ethnic group in the state but the activities of Ipob

Demonstrations by Ipob were banned in the state. Mr Wike recently placed a bounty of 50 million naira ($130,000; £100,000) on the head of the group's leader.

"This is clearly a terrorist group which existence, creed, mission and activities are strongly denounced even by the government and peoples of South-Eastern States of the country," he said.

Army spokesman, Major Charles Ekeocha, also denied that soldiers were going door-to-door and killing people, telling a local radio station that there was an ongoing operation in Oyigbo but that soldiers were not targeting people.

"People have been spreading information based on their interests but when you investigate you find out it's not true," he told government-owned Radio Nigeria.

What is the latest?

Civil society groups in the state have asked the governor to lift the curfew to enable residents to access supplies and other provisions.

One resident, Bani Jackreece, told the BBC's Karina Igonikon that it was proving difficult to get essential supplies.

"There was no way to go buy food or withdraw money and everywhere is locked-down with security patrol and they were chasing people to get inside if they came out," she said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-africa-54791650?__twitter_impression=true

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by estirocky(f): 6:10pm On Nov 03, 2020
shocked lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by Moferere: 6:20pm On Nov 03, 2020
Anago55:
Wike's stupidity has gone international
this same idiot want to be president or vice president of the country

And you think that your 5% votes will stop him from being a President if God has destined him to be?

For the records, Wike is not against Igbo, he's against the Illiterate Peoples of Biafra (Igbos) tongue

IamFINESSE:
Wike will surely suffer the consequences
Someone should just remove that red cap on his head.
Fat pig wike

No manners at all, na why everybody hate Igbos be this.
Wike is old enough to be your Dad, if he's your Dad, will you call him a pig?

25 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by Anago55: 6:21pm On Nov 03, 2020

123 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by IamFINESSE: 6:23pm On Nov 03, 2020
Wike will surely suffer the consequences

Someone should just remove that red cap on his head.

Fat pig wike

94 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by IamFINESSE: 6:24pm On Nov 03, 2020
Anago55:

Dead on arrival

18 Likes

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by Nigeriabiafra80: 6:26pm On Nov 03, 2020
Wike
We go sell give u

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by Vitamin17(m): 6:27pm On Nov 03, 2020
embarassed
Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by AFvckingAlpha(m): 6:27pm On Nov 03, 2020
The fvck

Niggarr!!

When would the brutalities end?

When would young lives cease to be lost?

Too many questions, yet no answer.

When a state is against her people. Tagging IPOB as terrorists, Buhari is a fool.

Nigeria is divided, the scars are there to never be forgotten.

I said what I said.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by melodyisaac: 6:27pm On Nov 03, 2020
Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by slawormiir: 6:27pm On Nov 03, 2020
damnnn niggarrrr
Too bad
Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 03, 2020
They are Soldiers and Policemen , not Nigerian Security agents

Nobody will beat you

10 Likes

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by Epstein(m): 6:27pm On Nov 03, 2020
Wike is Wicked........NwaWickedness

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by Nobody: 6:28pm On Nov 03, 2020
Sorry brother..... Blame IPOB and Nnamdi kanu

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by Cj4charles(m): 6:28pm On Nov 03, 2020
No one can evade Justice in this world

3 Likes

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by Patrickyemi: 6:28pm On Nov 03, 2020
So sad
Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by crestedaguiyi: 6:28pm On Nov 03, 2020
He was cheered to doom by those who alway use and abandoned southern politicians grin grin grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by SLOVFO(m): 6:29pm On Nov 03, 2020
Why are our leaders so insensitive?

3 Likes

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by Welrez(m): 6:29pm On Nov 03, 2020
This should be condemned in its entirety.
Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by betterman22(m): 6:29pm On Nov 03, 2020
tongue
Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by Odingo1: 6:30pm On Nov 03, 2020
Moferere:
Collateral Damage
One day you will become a collateral damage. Kiss the truth.

8 Likes

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by Authoreety: 6:30pm On Nov 03, 2020
All these shld stop already
Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by Officialgarri: 6:30pm On Nov 03, 2020
When these IPOB guys realize they cannot face the Nigerian army, it won't take so long before they turn on the civilians.

Kanu can call that shot. He's unstable

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by AtchenyAutos(m): 6:31pm On Nov 03, 2020
lipsrsealed
Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by Odingo1: 6:31pm On Nov 03, 2020
Officialgarri:
grin
One day someone will laugh at you the same way you did today.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by Nobody: 6:31pm On Nov 03, 2020
Cj4charles:
If they had killed you, it would have been far much better IDIOT

You are the cause of the man death..... If ipob had behaved themselves something like this won't happen

4 Likes

Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by DenreleDave(m): 6:32pm On Nov 03, 2020
So painful
Re: Oyigbo Shootings, Killings: 'Policeman Shot My Fiancée Dead' - Monday Bakor by TOPCRUISE(m): 6:32pm On Nov 03, 2020
That means the security agents are looking for the guns taken away from them. They won't leave and they won't give Oyigbo peace until they find the guns stolen by Ipob

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari's Alleged Impostor Speaks Out, "Politicians Are Soiling My Name" / Kwankwasiyya Chairman, Abdulrashid Panda, Stabbed By Thugs In Kano / Buhari’s Ministers Who Want To Be Governors In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.