Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Does Men Of God Suppose To Be Poor And Beggarly? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Men Of God Suppose To Be Poor And Beggarly? (934 Views)

Pastor Chris Warns Comedians: Don't Joke With Men Of God! / Unfulfilled Prophecies By Men Of God / Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Men Of God Suppose To Be Poor And Beggarly? by ogoamaka99(m): 1:08am On Mar 14, 2011
By reason of persistent and unwarranted attack on successful MOG like Oyedepo, Pastor Chris, Pastor E. A. Adeboye and others. One wonders if it is a crime to be a successful MOG. That is why it is necessary to react to this thread- Does MEN OF GOD SUPPOSE TO BE POOR AND BEGGARLY?
Re: Does Men Of God Suppose To Be Poor And Beggarly? by fstranger3(m): 1:23am On Mar 14, 2011
ogoamaka99:

By reason of persistent and unwarranted attack on successful MOG like Oyedepo, Pastor Chris, Pastor E. A. Adeboye and others. One wonders if it is a crime to be a successful MOG. That is why it is necessary to react to this thread- Does MEN OF GOD SUPPOSE TO BE POOR AND BEGGARLY?

What kind of English is that?

Batu or Pinkin?
Re: Does Men Of God Suppose To Be Poor And Beggarly? by dare2think: 7:34pm On Mar 15, 2011
@Fstranger,

the grammer does not matter as long as you can understand his content. English may not be the poster's 1st language. Even if it is, he is only trying to engage in a discussion
and you picking on the grammatical error when this is not an "English language teaching" thread only shows how myopic you are.

@ Poster,

Nobody says Men of God have to be paupers. But a degree of humility is needed when you are leading people in terms of religion. Having flashy cars and Jets does not make sense when you still have member's of the congregation struggling to make ends meet. The duty of the MOG is to be the sherpard of their flock. And Sherpards  must always tend to their flocks. But this MOG'S  seem to tend to themselves. Ashimolowo for instance had a birthday for his wife at the Dorchester hotel in London. That is one of the most expesive hotels in london/world. Common.
Pls where does he get his money from? He is a full time MOG, so technically he is spending the church's money. And what is the Church's money? The money the congregation gives o the church, which may be in form of tithe,blah, blah blah.  TRUE MEN OF GOD STAY HUMBLE BECAUSE THEY KNOW THIER REWARD IS IN HEAVEN AND NOT ON EARTH. wHAT WE HAVE NOW ARE NOT MOG. they are SCAMMERS. Well most of them
Re: Does Men Of God Suppose To Be Poor And Beggarly? by Zikkyy(m): 7:53pm On Mar 15, 2011
dare2think:

Nobody says Men of God have to be paupers. But a degree of humility is needed when you are leading people in terms of religion. Having flashy cars and Jets does not make sense when you still have member's of the congregation struggling to make ends meet. The duty of the MOG is to be the sherpard of their flock. And Sherpards must always tend to their flocks. But this MOG'S seem to tend to themselves. Ashimolowo for instance had a birthday for his wife at the Dorchester hotel in London. That is one of the most expesive hotels in london/world. Common.
Pls where does he get his money from? He is a full time MOG, so technically he is spending the church's money. And what is the Church's money? The money the congregation gives o the church, which may be in form of tithe,blah, blah blah. TRUE MEN OF GOD STAY HUMBLE BECAUSE THEY KNOW THIER REWARD IS IN HEAVEN AND NOT ON EARTH. wHAT WE HAVE NOW ARE NOT MOG. they are SCAMMERS. Well most of them

Good talk smiley
Re: Does Men Of God Suppose To Be Poor And Beggarly? by SirJohn(m): 8:18pm On Mar 15, 2011
No they does not suppose to be smiley
Re: Does Men Of God Suppose To Be Poor And Beggarly? by Donshegxy10(m): 1:56am On Mar 17, 2011
In luke 10:1-16 when jesus sentforth the 70 in 2s,
in v4 it says carry neither money bags, knapsack, nor sandals, and greet no one along the road.
v7 it says and remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not go from house to house.
We should understand that being a pastor or man of God is a job that comes with his wages, and the bible enphasize that tithes are specifically for the ministers of the word.
Re: Does Men Of God Suppose To Be Poor And Beggarly? by mabell: 1:26pm On Mar 17, 2011
Men of God and children of God alike are not supposed to be beggarly
Jesus died for us that we might be made rich and live in abundance
Pastor and Christians preach this good news
so their lives should be an example of what they preach and what the bible says
Re: Does Men Of God Suppose To Be Poor And Beggarly? by Zikkyy(m): 5:54pm On Mar 17, 2011
mabell:

Pastor and Christians preach this good news

Good news for the pastor smiley This na his time to 'hammer' smiley

mabell:

so their lives should be an example of what they preach and what the bible says
I agree smiley thats why we believe they are 'pimps'
Re: Does Men Of God Suppose To Be Poor And Beggarly? by mabell: 6:51pm On Mar 17, 2011
Zikkyy:

Good news for the pastor smiley This na his time to 'hammer' smiley
I agree smiley thats why we believe they are 'pimps'

Is this all your mind can carry
with this we need not worry about pastors but about your kind of people smiley
Re: Does Men Of God Suppose To Be Poor And Beggarly? by Zikkyy(m): 7:01pm On Mar 17, 2011
mabell:

with this we need not worry about pastors but about your kind of people smiley

You are looking in the wrong direction smiley Why worry about me when i am not the one on the pulpit Like you rightly said, your pastor is the pimping example of what he preach, worry about him abeg angry
Re: Does Men Of God Suppose To Be Poor And Beggarly? by dare2think: 7:30pm On Mar 17, 2011
@ don shegsy

That scripture also say "Do not move from house to house".  and also says "eat and give whatever they give you" How on earth can you translate that to wages. These were people jesus annointed and told to go door to door to minister. He said  to them to EAT and DRINK whatever they were offered. He did not tell them to go there everyday to eat and drink. Why do people always feel the need to manipulate the bible as if the rest of us can't read too. SAD.

@Mabell
Men of God and Children of God are not alike. Men of God lead the children of God. They are shepards while the children of God are the Sheeps. The shepard has a duty to look after and guide the sheeps and not to extort them. Being a minister of God is not an easy calling and its not a luxury calling either. It is a life of humility and devotion. Ofcourse the Pastors has to have wages since they are not working and money is not going to drop from heaven. But the money should be regulated and not abused. So tell me Mabell, what does a pastor need a luxury car for (not to talk of Jets)? when some members can't eat 3 time a day. Is that his/her calling?

@Everyone
    I ate with a friend 2weeks ago. He attends the church of the Pastor Odulele that was found guilty of molestation. He told me the Guy had three Cars and the car plate read "ODULELE 01" "ODULELE02" "ODULELE03" Meanwhile this friend of mind still they jump on london bus and we all know how much a weekly pass cost. So tell me, is that not fraud?
Re: Does Men Of God Suppose To Be Poor And Beggarly? by Alwaystrue(f): 11:27pm On Mar 17, 2011
@Poster,
[i]2 Corinthians 11:4-9 (New International Version)

4 For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough.

5 But I do not think I am in the least inferior to those "super-apostles."

6 I may not be a trained speaker, but I do have knowledge. We have made this perfectly clear to you in every way.

7 Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God to you free of charge?

8 I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you.
shocked

9 And when I was with you and needed something, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied what I needed. I have kept myself from being a burden to you in any way, and will continue to do so.

Answer is no and we have our parts to play. For those who know that their Pastors are real (at least you won't be attending the church of someone you perceive is fake), we do not need to resort to them having to speak like Paul spoke here. They need our support. Do it cheerfully though.
God bless you.
Re: Does Men Of God Suppose To Be Poor And Beggarly? by Nobody: 12:21am On Mar 18, 2011
Although I am not a believer anymore, i do recall these passages in the bible related to this subject straight from Jesus himself.

Matthew 19:21 taken from various bible versions.

King James Bible
Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go [and] sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come [and] follow me.

International Standard Version (©2008)
Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go and sell what you own and give the money to the destitute, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come back and follow me."

English Standard Version (©2001)
Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

New International Version (©1984)
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

New Living Translation (©2007)
Jesus told him, "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

While it does not sound like it would be required to be a follower, to be considered a perfect follower you would. Obviously, the notion of life long grinding poverty is unpalatable to anyone including the most fervent of believers. Thus I imagine that the vast majority of Christians who are not already poor, would prefer to be a regular follower rather than opt to be a perfect follower: Christian leaders even more so.  wink

(1) (Reply)

Spitting, Allahu-akbaring Islamic Supremacist Thugs Disrupt Liberal Islam Debate / How Literally Do You Take The Bible? / Why Does God Allow Bad Things To Happen To Good People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.