Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu (1837 Views)

Shiites Having Peaceful Protest In Gombe State (Photos) / Onitsha Ipob Peaceful Protest: My Story, A Bloody Story / Should Vigilante Groups Be Outlawed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by Nobody: 1:14am On Mar 14, 2011
Peaceful protest no more? Enugu the supposed Capital of Igboland may not be livable soon enough. Does that explain the mass influx of Igbos into Yorubaland, where political peace reigns?

ENUGU-SOME primary school teachers in Enugu North council area of Enugu State were yesterday arrested by the police for staging a protest over non-payment of their salaries during the campaign rally organised by the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP in the state capital and attended by Governor Sullivan Chime.

advertisement

Advertisement
The teachers used the opportunity of the rally held at the Enugu North local government secretariat to draw the attention of the governor to their plight over the said unpaid salaries but unknown to them the environment was not conducive for such protest.

State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Job Doma, however, said when contacted on telephone yesterday that he would tell the DPO to release them "while we continue with our investigation into what would have made them take their protest to the campaign rally".

Doma who said he was yet to be briefed by press time, stated that it was improper for the teachers to take their protest to the political event because the party holding the function would easily think they were sent by their opponents.

It was learnt that Governor Chime and members of his campaign team were soliciting for votes at the venue of the rally about 2.pm when over 50 teachers who brandished placards, suddenly entered the venue and chanting "pay us our money, pay us our money".

Some of the placards read: "Your Excellency, save us from hunger," "Your Excellency we are dying," "We Want our money," "Pay us our salary," "Our children are dying of starvation," "We don't deserve this," among others.

The policemen on duty at the campaign ground were said to have immediately gone into action, arresting the teachers who they bundled into waiting patrol vans.

The teachers were taken to Central Police Station, CPS, Enugu, where some of them are detained at the Human Rights Department.

A few of them later secured their freedom when their influential relations came to bail them but as at 6pm yesterday respite had not come for majority of them.

One of them who was bailed by her husband who is a lawyer identified herself as Mrs Ogbonna.

It was gathered that the teachers had to take to the protest because they have made several frantic efforts to get official attention over these unpaid salaries to no avail.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/mar/11/319.html
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by ikeyman00(m): 1:26am On Mar 14, 2011
@@@@@@@@@@

ahahh like i always say emm there is something wrong with your head

u need to check in mental hospital and u really should

i have noted the way u tried so hard to kill any thread that goes against u; hahhha like that

u talk about your legs and that but when u look closely u might just realised there is something wrong with u; we cant be fooled easily just like that

im begining to hate this political section as i beleive some deranged and mental messed up yorubas are killing it; i actually get headache going through this section these days

wonder what other make of that!

just check out becomrich for a start; hmmmm anger in the air

jason hmmmm
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by Nobody: 1:33am On Mar 14, 2011
ikeyman00:

@@@@@@@@@@

ahahh like i always say emm there is something wrong with these people

do you need me to sell you some of my crack?

i have noted the way u tried so hard to kill any thread that goes against u; hahhha I do the same thing too, let's smoke some joint

I just cant get the picture of your legs out of my godaamn moda bleeping fcccccuked up head, nigga!

im begining to hate this political section as i beleive some deranged and mental messed up Igbos are killing it; i actually get headache going through this section these days, I might like OMG, actually kill myself.

wonder what other make of that!

just check out becomrich for a start; hmmmm anger in the air

jason hmmmm

I am neither the writer or the messenger. . . . I'm just a secondary source.

cool
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by Odunnu: 12:01pm On Mar 14, 2011
Hmmmmm
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by Nobody: 12:42pm On Mar 14, 2011
Peaceful protest no more? Enugu the supposed Capital of Igboland may not be livable soon enough. [b]Does that explain the mass influx of Igbos into Yorubaland, where political peace reigns?[/b]

I'm part yoruba and no igbo at all--- but seeing this from me confirms my fears about you---- your deranged and need help---- your mind is warped with igbophobia--- you really need help honestly.
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by Nobody: 12:55pm On Mar 14, 2011
Ileke-"idi" (something like bossom in yoruba) ehhehehehehe what a name grin grin grin grin
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by Princek12(m): 1:15pm On Mar 14, 2011
babasoty:

I'm part yoruba and no igbo at all--- but seeing this from me confirms my fears about you---- your deranged and need help---- your mind is warped with igbophobia--- you really need help honestly.

provide support for your proposition.
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by Nobody: 1:38pm On Mar 14, 2011
You truely sound like ur name Ileke-idi. Yansh Beads!!! Truely u need to either seek divine help or check in any psycatharic hospital for ur brain to be checked
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by ifyalways(f): 1:40pm On Mar 14, 2011
Odunnu:

Hmmmmm
Double Hmmmn.
Sudden protesting on campaign grounds . . . mind boggling.
Is it just my eye?I did not read anything on banning of protests  
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 14, 2011
ifyalways:

Double Hmmmn.
Sudden protesting on campaign grounds . . . mind boggling.
Is it just my eye?I did not read anything on banning of protests  

i wonderoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by alphabet43(m): 10:45pm On Mar 14, 2011
!!IS IT A LIE?!!! What has the messenger done wrong? You idiots are lashing at the wrong person. Go raise your voices in Enugu
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by bashr4: 10:50pm On Mar 14, 2011
what the Bleep is this thread doin on the front page
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by redsun(m): 11:03pm On Mar 14, 2011
babasoty:

She really sound awful,timid and crazy for a woman.I hope she not like than in real life?Or has she just got the boot from an igbo guy? and she is not handling it properly.It is like she is going crazy.
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by redsun(m): 11:09pm On Mar 14, 2011
If the story is true,is enugu state not suppose to be a democratic state where peaceful demonstration is suppose be one the fundamental rights of citizen?

It is pure case of demonstration crase and crazy demonstration that turn out to be what we call democracy in nigeria.
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by Nobody: 11:12pm On Mar 14, 2011
bashr4:

what the bleep is this thread doin on the front page

Because it's a very refreshing story.

This is not the first time peaceful protest has been stopped in the S.E.

Peaceful protest may as well be outlawed in Enugu, no voice for the residents.
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by Nobody: 11:13pm On Mar 14, 2011
ENUGU-SOME primary school teachers in Enugu North council area of Enugu State were yesterday arrested by the police for staging a protest over non-payment of their salaries during the campaign rally organised by the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP in the state capital and attended by Governor Sullivan Chime.

And not merely stopped, arrests were also made.
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by redsun(m): 11:14pm On Mar 14, 2011
It sounds like what an arab state will do,that is if it is true.
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by ayodot(m): 7:42am On Mar 15, 2011
In as much as support human right, I support common sense more. firsrly they might be take for miscreant sponsored to disrupt the political gathering. There action might so result in a melee.
The police did the right thing, for there own protection and every other crowd present (children and women). Or have we forgotten the sampede which occur in previous rally.
The arrest could be base on the intend to creat public distubance. Or we nairalanders not the one's saying the police are not proactive.
I think they did the right thing, for safety of all
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by bkbabe97y(m): 7:46am On Mar 15, 2011
Animal Ibos! No wonder they flock to the South West in droves! Beasts!
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by Nobody: 8:30am On Mar 15, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Animal Ibos! No wonder they flock to the South West in droves! Beasts!
Man even the poorest(uneducated) IBO dude is wiser than
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by kodylicky(f): 9:40am On Mar 15, 2011
i dont think they shuld disrupt the political rally so as to air their grievances
they should have picked another date or venue for it
protesting during a rally like dat is just creating a platform form confusion in which
the masses are bound to get hurt or lives may be lost (just like in PH)
so next time they should do it somewhere else
i believe if its done at the right time and place no one will be arrested!
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by redsun(m): 10:59am On Mar 15, 2011
kody-licky:

i dont think they shuld disrupt the political rally so as to air their grievances
they should have picked another date or venue for it
protesting during a rally like dat is just creating a platform form confusion in which
the masses are bound to get hurt or lives may be lost (just like in PH)
so next time they should do it somewhere else
i believe if its done at the right time and place no one will be arrested!

Why not?In a free society,disgruntled citizens have the right to demonstrate freely and peacefully at any given time.And it is the duty of police to make sure the demonstration does not out hand,not to ban it.Banning a peaceful demonstration is autocratic and that spells a military regime instead of suppose democrazy

Nigerian system is crazy anyway,it is "thuggocracy"The present president is a thug and illegitimate,yet he is seeing to a free and fare election in nigeria come nest month.How rational is that?
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by kodylicky(f): 12:20pm On Mar 15, 2011
redsun:

Why not?In a free society,disgruntled citizens have the right to demonstrate freely and peacefully at any given time.And it is the duty of police to make sure the demonstration does not out hand,not to ban it.Banning a peaceful demonstration is autocratic and that spells a military regime instead of suppose democrazy

Nigerian system is crazy anyway,it is "thuggocracy"The present president is a thug and illegitimate,yet he is seeing to a free and fare election in nigeria come nest month.How rational is that?

exactly wat they did but putting them away!!!
by the way, nobody said anything abt banning protests
just do it the right way and nobody gets locked-up hurt!!!
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by texazzpete(m): 12:46pm On Mar 15, 2011
kody-licky:

exactly wat they did but putting them away!!!
by the way, nobody said anything abt banning protests
just do it the right way and nobody gets locked-up hurt!!!

You should be ashamed of yourself for spouting this nonsense.
Basic human rights are being trampled upon and you're here cheering it on. Who knows if tommorrow it may be your turn?

SOme of us have gotten so used to the rot in Nigeria that we're happy with the status quo.
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by kodylicky(f): 1:24pm On Mar 15, 2011
@texxazzpete
i m sori if my comment offended u
i m only saying they shuldnt carry their protest to such a rally
cos they stand a chance of inciting confusion in which ppl culd get hurt just like wat happened in ph
if u were there then u ll agree with me it was a horrible sight
so dont get it twisted smiley

by the way u shuldnt be so hard we aint fighting!! smiley
Re: Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu by Nobody: 5:11pm On Mar 15, 2011
kody-licky:

@texxazzpete
i m sori if my comment offended u
i m only saying they shuldnt carry their protest to such a rally
cos they stand a chance of inciting confusion in which ppl culd get hurt just like wat happened in ph
if u were there then u ll agree with me it was a horrible sight
so dont get it twisted smiley

by the way u shuldnt be so hard we aint fighting!! smiley

So you support no peaceful protest at all?

For people's voice to be heard, someone is going to have to get hurt. You lose something to gain something.

Laziness and cowardice keeps people quiet and in place even when they dont agree with their government rule.

(1) (Reply)

Riot In Abuja / Let Us Not Waste Our Generation / 15 Shot Dead In Okigwe. Imo State Election.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.