Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,475 members, 7,830,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden (46773 Views)

US "Doomsday" Plane Sent With Biden To Europe (Pics) / Condester Sichwale Thrown Out Of Tanzanian Parliament For Wearing Tight Trousers / Photos From Florida High School Shooting That Killed 17 And Injured 50 More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by Mynd44: 7:09am On Nov 04, 2020
Trump also claiming the battlegrounds of Ohio and Iowa while Biden won Minnesota and Iowa, two modest prizes the president had hoped to steal.

Races were too early to call in some of other fiercely contested and critical states on the map, including North Carolina, Georgia and Pennsylvania. The president, by early Wednesday, had retained many states he won in 2016 and, as long predicted, the race in part seemed to rest on the three northern industrial states where Trump most surprised the Democrats four year ago Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

Biden, briefly appearing in front of supporters in Delaware, urged patience, saying the election “ain’t over until every vote is counted, every ballot is counted.”

“It’s not my place or Donald Trump’s place to declare who’s won this election,” Biden said. “That’s the decision of the American people.”

Trump also tweeted that he was going to make a statement.

Millions of voters braved their worries about the virus — and some long lines — to turn out in person, joining 102 million fellow Americans who voted days or weeks earlier, a record number that represented 73% of the total vote in the 2016 presidential election.

Early results in several key battleground states were in flux as election officials processed a historically large number of mail-in votes. Democrats typically outperform Republicans in mail voting, while the GOP looks to make up ground in Election Day turnout. That means the early margins between the candidates could be influenced by which type of votes — early or Election Day — were being reported by the states.

Florida was the biggest, fiercely contested battleground on the map, with both campaigns battling over its 29 Electoral College votes.

Trump adopted Florida as his new home state, wooed its Latino community, particularly Cuban-Americans, and held rallies there incessantly. For his part, Biden deployed his top surrogate — President Barack Obama — there twice in the campaign’s closing days and benefitted from a $100 million pledge in the state from Michael Bloomberg.

Control of the Senate was at stake, too: Democrats needed to net three seats if Biden captured the White House to gain control of all of Washington for the first time in a decade. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky won reelection in an early victory for the Republicans, and GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, a close Trump ally, fought off a fierce challenge to hang onto his seat.

The parties traded a pair of seats in other early results: Democratic former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper defeated incumbent Sen. Cory Gardner, and in Alabama Republican Tommy Tuberville knocked off Sen. Doug Jones. The House was expected to remain under Democratic control.

As the results began to come in, the nation braced for what was to come — and an outcome that might not be known for days.

Biden was watching from home with family and close aides. Trump was watching the results come in with a small group of allies in the White House residence as other staff and advisers floated between a party at the White House residence and various offices throughout the executive mansion complex.

Outside, a new anti-scaling fence was erected around the White House, and in downtowns from New York to Denver to Minneapolis, workers boarded up businesses lest the vote lead to unrest.

With the worst public health crisis in a century still fiercely present, the pandemic — and Trump’s handling of it — was the inescapable focus for 2020.

For Trump, the election stood as a judgment on his four years in office, a term in which he bent Washington to his will, challenged faith in its institutions and changed how America was viewed across the globe. Rarely trying to unite a country divided along lines of race and class, he has often acted as an insurgent against the government he led while undermining the nation’s scientists, bureaucracy and media.

Biden spent the day last-minute campaigning in Scranton, Pennsylvania, where he was born, and in Philadelphia with a couple of local stops in Wilmington, Delaware, where he was spending Election Night.

The momentum from early voting carried into Election Day, as an energized electorate produced long lines at polling sites throughout the country. Turnout was higher than in 2016 in numerous counties, including all of Florida, nearly every county in North Carolina and more than 100 counties in both Georgia and Texas. That tally seemed sure to increase as more counties reported their turnout figures.

Voters braved worries of the coronavirus, threats of polling place intimidation and expectations of long lines caused by changes to voting systems, but appeared undeterred as turnout appeared it would easily surpass the 139 million ballots cast four years ago.

No major problems arose on Tuesday, outside the typical glitches of a presidential election: Some polling places opened late, robocalls provided false information to voters in Iowa and Michigan, and machines or software malfunctioned in some counties in the battleground states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Georgia and Texas.

The cybersecurity agency at the Department of Homeland Security said there were no outward signs by midday of any malicious activity.

The record-setting early vote — and legal skirmishing over how it would be counted — drew unsupported allegations of fraud from Trump, who had repeatedly refused to guarantee he would honor the election’s result.

Jaffe reported from Wilmington, Delaware. Miller reported from Washington. Associated Press writers Robert Burns, Kevin Freking, Aamer Madhani, Deb Riechmann and Will Weissert in Washington, Bill Barrow and Haleluya Hadero in Atlanta, Jeff Martin in Cobb County, Georgia, Thomas Beaumont in Des Moines, Juan Lozano in Houston, Corey Williams in West Bloomfield, Michigan, Kathy McCormack in Concord, New Hampshire, and Natalie Pompilio contributed to this report.
https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-joe-biden-election-day-966a3decc2c3262946c03baf2dd14e8f

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by Nobody: 7:10am On Nov 04, 2020
I asked some of my Facebook friends over there in Florida who they were rooting for, two of them gave me a shocking and "zombiesm" reply...

Nichelle; I am riding with Biden, Trump is the devil himself, he imported covid to America.

Connie; Biden, Yes, Biden. Trump is the cause of my mum's paralysis. He is too docile and very ineffective.

Then I asked them to give us Trump and take General Buhari with 50 barrels of crude oil, they quickly reject the offer.

344 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by Davash222(m): 7:13am On Nov 04, 2020
A win for Donald Chukwuebuka Trump is a win for Christ.

131 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by ATEAMS: 7:13am On Nov 04, 2020
..If I have learned anything over this last year it’s that you have to live your own life too so that if something we hoped for doesn’t work out, you still have two legs to stand on, you still have your own path.

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by seyicodes(m): 7:13am On Nov 04, 2020
Biden is the next president.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by wunmi590(m): 7:14am On Nov 04, 2020
embarassed

I supported Biden so that he can help Nigerians back to freely enter into the US, most especially for student, because since Trump emerged the president, rejection has been flying up and down to student who wish to study in US.

But Biden nah error candidate for Democrat, infact Hillary Clinton is more better than him, I couldn't believe that the state Hillary Clinton won comfortably with higher point is what Biden is struggling to even take some percentage.

Though he won some, but the percentage was way lower than what Hillary had in 2016.

I wanted Biden/ Mitchell Obama ticket, but all in all, we have to brace up for another 4 years of Trump

Congratulations Trump in advance

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by ILoveDemMANNA: 7:14am On Nov 04, 2020
I have been saying it from day one that Donald will win,
But I was thinking it's gonna be a landslide,
I never knew it's gonna be this close.
I am waiting for the final result ASAP.

TWITTER is flagging most Donald's tweet in the past 3 hours! for whatever reasons.
Guess it is because he talks too much sha!!

God bless America �� �� ��

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by ILoveDemMANNA: 7:14am On Nov 04, 2020
LIVE UPDATES.....

1 Like

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by Arrewa: 7:14am On Nov 04, 2020
Trump has taken Florida.

Any candidate Florida chooses always wins.

Will this jinx be broken 2020 ? remember 2020 is a year of absurdity.

Still too close to call

41 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by IamHeWrites: 7:14am On Nov 04, 2020
grin

1 Like

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by Brendaniel: 7:14am On Nov 04, 2020
Only if Americans know the good trump is doing for them, Liberalism is what will finish America...

85 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by Flier: 7:14am On Nov 04, 2020
Trump has won it! It’s very obvious Americans want him,we are just stressing ourselve
Joe Biden could have been slaughtered if covid-19 wasn’t around grin

90 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by AsomArchitectNG(m): 7:14am On Nov 04, 2020
Like for Trump to win..
Share for Biden.

188 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by dokie: 7:14am On Nov 04, 2020
Biden needs a miracle to win.

10 Likes

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by 2sureguy1(m): 7:14am On Nov 04, 2020
Biden should have called on Tinubu and his chief thug MC Oluomo to help him snatch ballot boxes in these swing states... It's what they do best. grin

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by adekanmbi1986(m): 7:14am On Nov 04, 2020
Ok
Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by BigDawsNet: 7:14am On Nov 04, 2020
Arizona baby grin

1 Like

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by Bleiz(m): 7:14am On Nov 04, 2020
How does it concern us here?

Will it affect the cost of food stuffs?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by thesicilian: 7:15am On Nov 04, 2020
Bleiz:
How does it concern us here?

Will it affect the cost of food stuffs?
Not everyone in Nigeria is hungry

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by GIANTPLUSHUB: 7:15am On Nov 04, 2020
Okay naaw
Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by EdmundChidera(m): 7:15am On Nov 04, 2020
I'm monitoring the US Presidential election closely and I have observed with utter dismay that Americans don't know how to conduct elections.

I haven't seen massive nationwide deployment of 500,000 military men, Police, FBI, CIA, S.W.A.T and war grade equipment to rig in favour of the incumbent President.

Ordinary killing, they have not killed a single person, no thugs everywhere.

This is shameful.

The American airspace hasn't been shutdown.

People are moving freely, no curfews.

And why aren't bullion vans carrying dollars from banks to the homes of American Jagabans?

Is something wrong with America?

What is most annoying is that the Nigerian Ambassador to America has not called both candidates for a meeting to sign a peace treaty.

Is this an election?

270 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by Dynamiceagle(f): 7:15am On Nov 04, 2020
waiting
Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by Jamexjulius(m): 7:15am On Nov 04, 2020
grin cheesy
Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by PlayerMeji: 7:15am On Nov 04, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by saddler: 7:15am On Nov 04, 2020
Trump winning this

8 Likes

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by Hamman1(m): 7:15am On Nov 04, 2020
This is getting really interesting...Any body win 1x2

2 Likes

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by Guyman02: 7:15am On Nov 04, 2020
I pity the guys at CNN who have been claiming that Biden is leading by 98% in the polls, they are losing their minds as the results filter in, I can feel their exasperation in the studios.
Trump acknowledged support from South East Nigeria which attracted positive attention to Nigeria around the world

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by Casper21: 7:15am On Nov 04, 2020
Meat soup

4 Likes

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by kyuniii(m): 7:15am On Nov 04, 2020
May the best man win.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by seeker121(m): 7:15am On Nov 04, 2020
It is not over until it is over.
Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by Moonland100(m): 7:15am On Nov 04, 2020
Trump likely to win this election

14 Likes

Re: Trump Wins Florida, Locked In Other Tight Races With Biden by Lalami3232(m): 7:15am On Nov 04, 2020
This is what we call 99% FREE AND FAIR ELECTION. Not what we see here in 9ja wey be say thugs go snatch ballot box and dem go say "Inconclusive" whenever dem dey win their people.

35 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Russian Tank Regiment Commander Kills Himself Over Unserviceable Vehicles / 150 Russian Officials Condemn Putin's Invasion Of Ukraine In Open Letter / 89-Year-Old Paul Biya Of Cameroon Didn’t Know Where He Was, Farted In Public

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.