Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,366 members, 7,819,315 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love (2334 Views)

Is This True Love Or Foolishness? (Photo) / What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? / I Am Sex Starved, My Marriage Is Falling Apart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by mariahAngel(f): 4:59pm On Nov 06, 2020
A few days back, I saw a thread titled Falling in love or growing in love, which is better?, then I read through the comments and saw one that I didn't totally agree with. We don't fall in love, we decide to love was that comment.

I quoted the commenter, stating that I didn't agree with his comment. You fall in love when love catches you unaware was my comment.

Then came another commenter saying the previous commenter was right, and that Everything! Everything man does is driven by conscious or unconscious decision. Even when you don't know, you're making a decision.
To fall in love means to let down your guard--the resistance, as you said. Whether you predict it or it happens by chance, the moment you say "I love you" to another human being, you have likely decided or in deciding to love that person. That you decide to love does not rob you of excitment.
Passion and feelings are regulated by choice--even when we are not aware we are making that choice.

Then I asked, How does one decide what they have no control over?
What about an instance where you put up a strong resistance, and still end up falling in love?
We cannot control how we feel, what we can control is how we react to what we feel.

We both went back and forth, and back and forth, and ended up not agreeing with each other....
Then it occurred to me, Could it be that we were both right? Him talking from the male perspective, and me from the female perspective...
A case of me seeing 6 on my side, and him seeing 9 on his side...

So, I need answers from mature minds: Is it possible to decide to love genuinely? Or is it a case of convincing one's self to love a person for some reasons?
How do men decide to love?
Is it correct to say that men do not fall in love?

Modified: It is safe to conclude that Men decide to love, while women fall in love.
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by Cutehector(m): 5:12pm On Nov 06, 2020

Your answer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by mariahAngel(f): 5:17pm On Nov 06, 2020
Cutehector:

Your answer.

Yes. But I want to understand better how men Decide to love
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by Cutehector(m): 5:30pm On Nov 06, 2020
mariahAngel:

grin remove your brain and put a man's own, then you will be able to understand better. grin
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by mariahAngel(f): 5:39pm On Nov 06, 2020
Cutehector:
grin remove your brain and put a man's own, then you will be able to understand better. grin

Not nice... cheesy
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by Cutehector(m): 5:48pm On Nov 06, 2020
mariahAngel:

Not nice... cheesy
grin but there wasnt any better way to paint it. We have to understand that men reason differently from women and vice versa.

1 Like

Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by Munzy14(m): 11:06pm On Nov 06, 2020
mariahAngel:
A few days back, I saw a thread titled Falling in love or growing in love, which is better?, then I read through the comments and saw one that I didn't totally agree with. We don't fall in love, we decide to love was that comment.

I quoted the commenter, stating that I didn't agree with his comment. You fall in love when love catches you unaware was my comment.

Then came another commenter saying the previous commenter was right, and that Everything! Everything man does is driven by conscious or unconscious decision. Even when you don't know, you're making a decision.
To fall in love means to let down your guard--the resistance, as you said. Whether you predict it or it happens by chance, the moment you say "I love you" to another human being, you have likely decided or in deciding to love that person. That you decide to love does not rob you of excitment.
Passion and feelings are regulated by choice--even when we are not aware we are making that choice.

Then I asked, How does one decide what they have no control over?
What about an instance where you put up a strong resistance, and still end up falling in love?
We cannot control how we feel, what we can control is how we react to what we feel.

We both went back and forth, and back and forth, and ended up not agreeing with each other....
Then it occurred to me, Could it be that we were both right? Him talking from the male perspective, and me from the female perspective...

So, I need answers from mature minds: Is it possible to decide to love genuinely? Or is it a case of convincing one's self to love a person for some reasons?
How do men decide to love?
Is it correct to say that men do not fall in love?

Modified: It is safe to conclude that Men decide to love, while women fall in love.
oohh!!!

fall in love = ngwo.

grow in love = nkwu..

Wise elders will say nkwu ka mma, kara ngwo.

Love four letter word, understood differently by every individual.

People love differently, with different reasons. The most important thing is, there is love and it conquers everything.

Men decide to love? explain biko..
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by mariahAngel(f): 7:00am On Nov 07, 2020
Munzy14:

oohh!!!

fall in love = ngwo.

grow in love = nkwu..

Wise elders will say nkwu ka mma, kara ngwo.

Biko mee ka'm ghota...na bekee o

Love four letter word, understood differently by every individual.

People love differently, with different reasons. The most important thing is, there is love and it conquers everything.

Men decide to love? explain biko..

Explain? I was waiting for someone to explain it to me, gi na si...
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 07, 2020
Love is a choice, a decision. While encountering someone may occur by chance, choosing to love them, is just that — a choice.

2 Likes

Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by UjuJoan2: 7:47am On Nov 07, 2020
mariahAngel:

I think I agree that you choose to fall in love, it doesn't just happen. It's the feelings and passions and we can't really help. But that's not love, is it?

I don't think it is really.

For women, it's usually difficult for us to control our feelings because we are very emotional. In the end it leads us to love.

But for men, they are more in control of their feelings because theit emotions don't usually run too deep. So they are more clear headed and selective about who they fall in love with.

That's my opinion anyway . . .

1 Like

Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by Munzy14(m): 2:09pm On Nov 07, 2020
mariahAngel:

Biko mee ka'm ghota...na bekee o

Explain? I was waiting for someone to explain it to me, gi na si...
You know the palm wine we drink is of two types?

One from ngwo tree, the other (nkwu)from normal palm tree if you don't want it to fruit.

The ngwo own, comes quick and plenty within a short time it stops, and we cut the tree down.

The nkwu takes time while dropping small small, and you can tap for a long period of time.

In igbo, we say kama mmanya m ga agba ka ngwo, ya gbaa ka nkwu.

In essence, nkwu lasts than ngwo..

Now, in this context, I think growing in love is slow and steady like nkwu, it starts from friendships to buddies and slowly move to next level...Most couples who grew older in it will always hammer on how they started like this.

While falling in it, dika ngwo, by the time the infatuation erodes, the next na see finish, before the final drift...grin

2 Likes

Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by eazzzy1(m): 3:46pm On Nov 07, 2020
I’m a man and I do not choose to fall in love. It just happens. Sometimes I see someone, I just want a good time, basically sex, then we get talking, feelings starts developing, you think of them often, you want to see them or talk to them all the time, there’s an emotion beneath void of any logic, you stay up longer than your sleep hours to talk to them even when you know you have to wake up early the next day.

Just as we do not decide to think, feel pain, feel anger, disappointment etc these are automatic response to stimuli, so is love. You can consciously decide not to fall in love, but you can’t conciously decide to fall in love, then the love will be fake.

Now this is only for eros love or romantic love.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by eyinjuege: 4:03pm On Nov 07, 2020
Love is a decision.
The worst mistake is deciding to love the wrong person because such a decision may be irrevocable.
So before making that decision, do your research about this individual to decide if they are worthy of your love.
Your most vulnerable period is after a heartbreak. Relasss and decide not to fall in love that period
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by mariahAngel(f): 7:48pm On Nov 07, 2020
Munzy14:

You know the palm wine we drink is of two types?

One from ngwo tree, the other (nkwu)from normal palm tree if you don't want it to fruit.

The ngwo own, comes quick and plenty within a short time it stops, and we cut the tree down.

The nkwu takes time while dropping small small, and you can tap for a long period of time.

In igbo, we say kama mmanya m ga agba ka ngwo, ya gbaa ka nkwu.

In essence, nkwu lasts than ngwo..

Now, in this context, I think growing in love is slow and steady like nkwu, it starts from friendships to buddies and slowly move to next level...Most couples who grew older in it will always hammer on how they started like this.

While falling in it, dika ngwo, by the time the infatuation erodes, the next na see finish, before the final drift...grin

Nice analogy. cheesy
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by mariahAngel(f): 11:16pm On Nov 07, 2020
eazzzy1:
I’m a man and I do not choose to fall in love. It just happens. Sometimes I see someone, I just want a good time, basically sex, then we get talking, feelings starts developing, you think of them often, you want to see them or talk to them all the time, there’s an emotion beneath void of any logic, you stay up longer than your sleep hours to talk to them even when you know you have to wake up early the next day.

Just as we do not decide to think, feel pain, feel anger, disappointment etc these are automatic response to stimuli, so is love. You can consciously decide not to fall in love, but you can’t conciously decide to fall in love, then the love will be fake.

Now this is only for eros love or romantic love.

Nice submission.
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by crackhaus: 8:08am On Nov 08, 2020
UjuJoan2:

I think I agree that you choose to fall in love, it doesn't just happen. It's the feelings and passions and we can't really help. But that's not love, is it?

For women, it's usually difficult for us to control our feelings because we are very emotional. In the end it leads us to love.

But for men, they are more in control of their feelings because theit emotions don't usually run too deep. So they are more clear headed and selective about who they fall in love with.

No wonder "they" refused to like and kiss this your analysis... cheesy

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by legacystore: 8:45am On Nov 08, 2020
Love is a decision 100%

It's not just about a feeling that changes with weather
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by mariahAngel(f): 11:21am On Nov 08, 2020
UjuJoan2:

So, what you're saying is that we, both male and female, decide to love.
How does one decide to stir up an emotion?
Would that be true love?
Maybe love is like an illusion which we understand and feel differently...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by pansophist(m): 11:42am On Nov 08, 2020
UjuJoan2:

The op was referring to the comment I made here

https://www.nairaland.com/6219174/which-better-falling-love-growing#95534164

And your submission further proves that you understand how men and women think concerning love.

I'm not sure about women, but men can marry a woman they do not love if she is good. His decision to marry her is not emotional base, but rational. You see everytime where a man will ignore all the hot-headed attracted females he messes around with, to go and settle down with a woman he deems good regardless of her attractiveness.

Men understands that marriage is an institution of responsibility, and will decide to love a woman that makes the love (responsibility and sacrifice) worths it. If you need to have a good source of income, a home, and pay the bride price, you'll decide to love the right person, not base on feelings that fluctuates.

Women do not need to have a big house, fat salary and think of finding a good husband that they will cater for, they want a good man that they will submit to, and he qualifies if he will be complimentary, can treat her nice and makes her feel special. And for a man to make a woman feels special, he must decide to love her, after she qualifies as a woman that worth the ring. So yes, men love, and women fall in love.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by mariahAngel(f): 12:09pm On Nov 08, 2020
crackhaus:

No wonder "they" refused to like and kiss this your analysis... cheesy

Likes does not mean anything. One can only like what they relate with and not just by eye service.
As long as you're true to yourself, whether others agree with you or not does not matter.

1 Like

Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by bukatyne(f): 2:27pm On Nov 08, 2020
mariahAngel:

Likes does not mean anything. One can only like what they relate with and not just by eye service.
As long as you're true to yourself, whether others agree with you or not does not matter.

@bold:

You know this?

Interesting.

@OP:

Love is a feeling (passion, sexual attraction, good feelings etc) and a choice which would loop back to the feelings.
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by bukatyne(f): 2:38pm On Nov 08, 2020
UjuJoan2:

@bold:

Men are very capable of loving and emoting deeper than women. You would catch a glimpse when you watch a football match. Especially knockout stages. The joy, passion, pain, sorrow, anger etc. are all emotions.

I think because women are naturally care givers, we think we are more 'emotional'. A lady can dislike a toaster and still prepare a buffet when he is coming or arrange his room. Just how a man can be thinking of only sex with a woman or not even like her at all and still provide or give gifts.

These are just biological traits that mean nothing.

I think when a man begins to give care, invest in your progress and emotions in a non-sexual way, puts pleasing you (within reason) above his ego and see you beyond a care-giver etc.

or a woman begins to believe in you, loyal, provide, see you beyond a provider then we can start to talk about love.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by crackhaus: 4:12pm On Nov 08, 2020
bukatyne:

@bold:

You know this?

Interesting.

@OP:

Love is a feeling (passion, sexual attraction, good feelings etc) and a choice which would loop back to the feelings.

Tor... grin
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by mariahAngel(f): 4:29pm On Nov 08, 2020
bukatyne:

@bold:

Men are very capable of loving and emoting deeper than women. You would catch a glimpse when you watch a football match. Especially knockout stages. The joy, passion, pain, sorrow, anger etc. are all emotions.

I think because women are naturally care givers, we think we are more 'emotional'. A lady can dislike a toaster and still prepare a buffet when he is coming or arrange his room. Just how a man can be thinking of only sex with a woman or not even like her at all and still provide or give gifts.

I think when a man begins to give care, invest in your progress and emotions in a non-sexual way, puts pleasing you (within reason) above his ego and see you beyond a care-giver etc.

or a woman begins to believe in you, loyal, provide, see you beyond a provider then we can start to talk about love.

I wanted to mention you when I created the thread, then I decided to let it flow natural....
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by mariahAngel(f): 4:33pm On Nov 08, 2020
crackhaus:

Tor... grin

She does not mean it the way you understood it.

When you learn to understand people more and how they are, you're very less likely to be offended by their approach to things.

2 Likes

Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by crackhaus: 4:46pm On Nov 08, 2020
mariahAngel:

She does not mean it the way you understood it.

When you learn to understand people more and how they are, you're very less likely to be offended by their approach to things.
Wetin this one dey talk? cheesy

How do you know what I understood? Are you inside me? Am I inside you?
Emphasis on inside... grin

1 Like

Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by mariahAngel(f): 4:56pm On Nov 08, 2020
crackhaus:

Wetin this one dey talk? cheesy

How do you know what I understood? Are you inside me? Am I inside you?
Emphasis on inside... grin

Waka!

...and I don't mean walk
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by crackhaus: 4:58pm On Nov 08, 2020
mariahAngel:

Waka!

...and I don't mean walk
gringrin
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by bukatyne(f): 8:38pm On Nov 08, 2020
mariahAngel:

I wanted to mention you when I created the thread, then I decided to let it flow natural....

I hope it flowed as expected smiley
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by angelfallz(m): 8:54pm On Nov 08, 2020
Lol. Fall in love, falling in love are media created tricks. Just like the so called falling in love at first sight.
In a relationship between a man and a woman i believe strongly that they don't fall in love, rather they grow to love each other.

1 Like

Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by mariahAngel(f): 9:53pm On Nov 08, 2020
bukatyne:

I hope it flowed as expected smiley

Quite...

I wouldn't say my curiosity was satisfied
Re: Deciding To Love Or Falling In Love by EmperorMaria: 11:40pm On Nov 08, 2020
bukatyne:

@bold:

Crackhaus missed this one

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gambling Has Finally Ruined Me / Men, Is This True? (pix) / Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.