Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,052 members, 7,821,626 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read (2338 Views)

Heartless Mother Throws Her New Born Baby In A Gutter With Its Placenta / Confusion As Residents Find Baby’s Placenta With Alfa / Why Is Newborn Babies' Placenta Given To The Father? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 08, 2013
Many of you we by so surprise to read that a thing like this is happening in your generation,but why should you ?when the holy bible have already told us that a time we come when so much wickedness we take over the world but the faithful we be saved,the question we should be asking ourself is this!what are these people planning to do with placenta that doesn't belong to their wife..

read about a lady encounter with a placenta buyer below,,,,

My name is Mrs. Chidera Okereke i recently delivered of a baby boy in a hospital located in Mafoluku area of Lagos State, i was waiting outside the hospital for my husband who had gone to source for money to settle our hospital bill when a man who happens to be one of the collectors of the human part, Segun, approached me with an offer to help me settle my hospital bill in exchange of my baby’s placenta.

The man said....“Madam, I can help you raise money to pay your hospital bill, if you can give me your placenta”, these were his exact words of the human part buyer. "

He claimed that one of the nurses directed him to come and meet me because I was in need of money to settle my hospital bill", she said. 'It was then that he told me that he is a placenta collector and that he would pay as much as N500, 000. I thought he was joking till he brought out his cheque book, it was at that point that I started shouting. He ran away before people started gathering. He claimed that he is a regular visitor in the hospital and used to deal with nurses but in recent times, the families demand their placenta after delivery", Chidera narrated.

Another Patricia who is a nurse also narrated her ordeal with one of the placenta collectors. She claimed that she was offered N2.5million to supply placenta to a certain landlord who lives close to the hospital arround Osohdi. She said,
“He is popularly known as Baba Saheed and owns a house few blocks away from the hospital. One day, he called me and asked me if he can buy placenta from the hospital. He promised to pay N1.5million for each baby’s placenta. I was shocked because that was a lot of money.

I told him that I was not interested and he increased it to N2.5million and I still refused. To convince me, he said that there were so many places he could get supply but decided to try me since so many women were giving birth in the hospital.

On a second thought, I drew the attention of the doctor who invited him over. He threatened to arrest him but later relented when Baba Saheed prostrated and started begging for mercy. He claimed that he got the contract from a big company.

Since then it is a matter of policy that every pregnant woman must go home with her baby’s placenta after delivery in the hospital where i work".

Some of these placenta collectors claim they supply the placenta to cosmetic manufacturing companies. But the question is, why do they do it secretly? do we manufacture cosmetics in Nigeria?

People strongly believe the placenta is used for evil purposes. Therefore, it is advisable every woman demands for her placenta or ensure it is properly disposed by the hospital workers, in order to be on the safe side. Not many nurses or doctors will reject money offer in exchange for the placenta of their patients.

It is very obvious these buyer are using it for diabolical mean,all mothers please request for your placenta before you live the hospital...

Courtesy: http://niggist..com/2013/07/shocking-placenta-buyers-on-prowl-hear.html?spref=fb
Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by Praise5: 3:00pm On Jul 09, 2013
God have mercy!!! as for me, I left the hospital with my baby's placenta and burnt it at home *can't take the risk of even burying it*

1 Like

Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jul 09, 2013
This is Nigeria. So nothing surprises me anymore.
Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by slimyem: 5:37pm On Jul 09, 2013
In a country where whole babies are being sold for ridiculous amounts day in and out, the news of placentas being sold is not shocking.
Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by freakcin: 6:20pm On Jul 09, 2013
Morale of the story: don't patronise cheap clinics/maternity homes! If you can't afford a standard private clinic, have a trusted family member by your side when you deliver in a Government hospital.
Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by andyanders: 7:19pm On Jul 09, 2013
Wicked world. Now, not even for women to demand for their placenta from the nurses, but to insist that a trusted member of your family should be in the delivery room until the women delivers the placenta as the nurse or doctor could just drop anything into a nylon bag and hand over to the woman as her placenta while the real one will be hidden to be sold.
Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jul 09, 2013
freakcin: Morale of the story: don't patronise cheap clinics/maternity homes! If you can't afford a standard private clinic, have a trusted family member by your side when you deliver in a Government hospital.
Big hospitals do it too.I was warned by my gynea that my hubby should take mine home cos things happen.I only knew cos we were close and this is one of d top hospitals in my city.
Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by EfemenaXY: 10:09pm On Jul 09, 2013
Actually, before giving birth to my baby, the health care professionals did ask if I would be willing to donate my placenta. My understanding was that this was meant for research purposes and could also save another baby's life:

On the day you give birth, you could give life - twice.
You could save a person’s life just by donating the blood stored in the umbilical cord and placenta following the birth of your baby.

It's a risk free procedure and does not interfere with the safe delivery of your baby in any way.

When a baby is born, its umbilical cord and placenta (afterbirth) are usually thrown away as clinical waste. But this ‘waste’ could actually one day save someone’s life. The blood in the cord and placenta is rich in stem cells. These stem cells can be used for lifesaving transplants for patients suffering from leukaemia and serious blood disorders.

Stem cell transplants from cord blood are a great alternative to those from adult donors. But the UK currently collects and stores a tiny amount of cord blood. It’s far less than other countries and nowhere near enough to meet the number of people who desperately need stem cell transplants. At present, two people miss out on the chance of a transplant every day.

We’ve harnessed this lifesaving method by establishing our own Cord Blood programme. We collect cord blood from consenting mothers in an expanding group of NHS maternity hospitals working with us. At present this includes King's College Hospital or The Royal Free Hospital in London and the Leicester Royal Infirmary and Leicester General Hospital. Our goal is bank 15,000 cord units by 2014.

Once collected, the cord blood units are transported to our Cell Therapy Centre at Nottingham Trent University. We then determine whether we can use them in clinical transplants. If we can, they are ‘banked’. This makes them available for transplant centres urgently looking for a match for a patient who needs a stem cell transplant.

If the cord blood unit doesn’t have enough stem cells to be used for a transplant, we use it for our research programmes. Our research explores ways to improve the success of transplants in fighting leukaemia and serious blood disorders. We’re also doing pioneering research with partners to explore how cord blood stem cells can help with degenerative conditions.

http://www.anthonynolan.org/what-you-can-do/donate-your-umbilical-cord.aspx

So, If the comments I've read here so far are true, about the placenta being used for diabolical purposes, then it really is sad and shameful. Only Naija sabi turn good thing to bad one. lipsrsealed sad

1 Like

Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by slimyem: 10:19pm On Jul 09, 2013
^^that's quite enlightening but you already know most of our people(even the supposedly educated ones) are too spiritual and untrusting to understand and accept/believe that the placenta can be used for honourable intentions.
It'll take a while before we get there.

1 Like

Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by baby124: 10:19pm On Jul 09, 2013
Efemena_xy: Actually, before giving birth to my baby, the health care professionals did ask if I would be willing to donate my placenta. My understanding was that this was meant for research purposes and could also save another baby's life:

On the day you give birth, you could give life - twice.
You could save a person’s life just by donating the blood stored in the umbilical cord and placenta following the birth of your baby.

It's a risk free procedure and does not interfere with the safe delivery of your baby in any way.

When a baby is born, its umbilical cord and placenta (afterbirth) are usually thrown away as clinical waste. But this ‘waste’ could actually one day save someone’s life. The blood in the cord and placenta is rich in stem cells. These stem cells can be used for lifesaving transplants for patients suffering from leukaemia and serious blood disorders.

Stem cell transplants from cord blood are a great alternative to those from adult donors. But the UK currently collects and stores a tiny amount of cord blood. It’s far less than other countries and nowhere near enough to meet the number of people who desperately need stem cell transplants. At present, two people miss out on the chance of a transplant every day.

We’ve harnessed this lifesaving method by establishing our own Cord Blood programme. We collect cord blood from consenting mothers in an expanding group of NHS maternity hospitals working with us. At present this includes King's College Hospital or The Royal Free Hospital in London and the Leicester Royal Infirmary and Leicester General Hospital. Our goal is bank 15,000 cord units by 2014.

Once collected, the cord blood units are transported to our Cell Therapy Centre at Nottingham Trent University. We then determine whether we can use them in clinical transplants. If we can, they are ‘banked’. This makes them available for transplant centres urgently looking for a match for a patient who needs a stem cell transplant.

If the cord blood unit doesn’t have enough stem cells to be used for a transplant, we use it for our research programmes. Our research explores ways to improve the success of transplants in fighting leukaemia and serious blood disorders. We’re also doing pioneering research with partners to explore how cord blood stem cells can help with degenerative conditions.

http://www.anthonynolan.org/what-you-can-do/donate-your-umbilical-cord.aspx

So, If the comments I've read here so far are true, about the placenta being used for diabolical purposes, then it really is sad and shameful. Only Naija sabi turn good thing to bad one. lipsrsealed sad

A lot of people in naija are mentally disturbed because of poverty. Most of the people asking them to do these things, are also highly psychotic. Go through all that trouble to buy a placenta. A waste product that is useless if not well preserved right after birth. This is like someone stealing your house to take to babalawo sey wetin Omo, ignorance is terrible. Upon all the jazz, we are regressing. I taya jare. No wonder they rated the IQ of the country very low. SMH.
Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by EfemenaXY: 10:40pm On Jul 09, 2013
baby_123:

A lot of people in naija are mentally disturbed because of poverty. Most of the people asking them to do these things, are also highly psychotic. Go through all that trouble to buy a placenta. A waste product that is useless if not well preserved right after birth. This is like someone stealing your house to take to babalawo sey wetin Omo, ignorance is terrible. Upon all the jazz, we are regressing. I taya jare. No wonder they rated the IQ of the country very low. SMH.

You this woman!! cheesy cheesy

Wetin na? eh?

Mentally disturbed versus highly psychotic Nigerians... grin grin grin
Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by baby124: 10:45pm On Jul 09, 2013
Efemena_xy:

You this woman!! cheesy cheesy

Wetin na? eh?

Mentally disturbed versus highly psychotic Nigerians... grin grin grin

It is like someone carrying another's sh*it and piss to do jazz. Upon all the jazz, na wa ooooo. Poverty is at like 70%. And jazz keeps increasing. Maga must pay. Babalawo must chop. If they told them to go and buy cabin biscuit, they will not return. It has to be something hard to get for them to believe the jazz na real. grin grin grin
Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by EfemenaXY: 10:48pm On Jul 09, 2013
baby_123:

It is like someone carrying another's sh*it and piss to do jazz. Upon all the jazz, na wa ooooo. Poverty is at like 70%. And jazz keeps increasing. Maga must pay. Babalawo must chop. If they told them to go and buy cabin biscuit, they will not return. It has to be something hard to get for them to believe the jazz na real. grin grin grin

The pi$$ I understand, but shyte too?? shocked shocked

*** faints!! *** cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by baby124: 10:56pm On Jul 09, 2013
Efemena_xy:

The pi$$ I understand, but shyte too?? shocked shocked

*** faints!! *** cheesy cheesy cheesy

No, am just saying that placenta is like a waste product from the body after the baby is born. Especially in a nylon bag for babalawo's use. grin grin grin
Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by EfemenaXY: 11:01pm On Jul 09, 2013
baby_123:

No, am just saying that placenta is like a waste product from the body after the baby is born. Especially in a nylon bag for babalawo's use. grin grin grin

I know jare cheesy

See eh, this just brings an old saying to mind: "Illiteracy is a crime..."

Over 50 years of independence and yet we're no better than how the colonial masters first found us. If anything, we're even worse than before. Nigeria, we hail thee!!
Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by tpiander: 12:33pm On Jun 30, 2015
Re: Shocking: Placenta Buyers On The Prowl - A Must Read by tpiah11: 9:51pm On Oct 24, 2015
.. . . . . .

(1) (Reply)

Should I Tell? / Who Can Interpret These Two troubling Dreams For Me / I Am Sorry.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.