Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,261 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? (8395 Views)

Naima Adedapo Voted Off American Idol / Naimo Adedapo made it to American idol semifinal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by fstranger3(m): 2:36am On Mar 15, 2011
She doesnt look Nigerian at all.
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by ekubear1: 3:31am On Mar 15, 2011
her momma is likely white
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by fstranger3(m): 3:37am On Mar 15, 2011
Or MiddleEastern?

Hopefully, her mom is Arab!
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by fstranger3(m): 3:38am On Mar 15, 2011
If Naima Adedapo sings on tonight’s taped “American Idol” with her signature retro glamor, she has generations of family entertainers to thank.

The top 13 finalist was born in Maywood and spent many hours backstage at the ETA Theater at 7558 S. South Chicago as her mother, Adekola, put on children’s shows. Naima’s great-grandmother Gladys Williams ran a theater out of a church at 46th and Ellis during the 1940s and ’50s.

http://www.suntimes.com/4190059-417/american-idol-finalist-naima-adedapo-a-product-of-chicago-stage-family.html

WTF?
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by Nobody: 3:45am On Mar 15, 2011
if her mum were arab, she'd look mostly hispanic.

i dont think she does.

The african name is through her's mum's affiliation with oyotunji village. I think you have google. undecided

not sure why your jaw is dropping as if you never saw an AA before.
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by ekubear1: 3:48am On Mar 15, 2011
Nigerian mom, white dad, perhaps.

Or her mom is one of those black panther types who chose african names?

Maybe you should just fbook her if curious.
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by Nobody: 3:54am On Mar 15, 2011
usually, when you see an african name on tv, if they're first or second generation africans, they'll usually give information about their place of origin outside the US.

if they dont, then most times they're AA.

eg yaya dacosta, that guy on scrubs, etc.

taye diggs i'm not sure about. He looks ogun state [or lagos] but there's no info on his origins at all.
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by fstranger3(m): 3:58am On Mar 15, 2011
tpiah!:

usually, when you see an african name on tv, if they're first or second generation africans, they'll usually give information about their place of origin outside the US.

taye diggs i'm not sure about. He looks ogun state [or lagos] but there's no info on his origins at all.

I have googled her azz out, nothing coming forth obviously.

some websites claim she was born in Nigeria, and my roomate said she claimed she was 100% Nigerian on American idol. I dont watch Idol so dont know for sure.
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by fstranger3(m): 4:00am On Mar 15, 2011
tpiah!:

Yaya Dacosta?. . . old scrubs or New scrubs? Watched almost all episodes of scrub save for the newest seasons which I think are lame
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by ekubear1: 4:21am On Mar 15, 2011
yaya dacosta. . .

*drools*

I love exotic-looking women.
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by Nobody: 4:30am On Mar 15, 2011
Yaya Dacosta?.    .     .   old scrubs or New scrubs? Watched almost all episodes of scrub save for the newest seasons which I think are lame

Donald Adeosun Faison/christopher turk.

yaya dacosta:

[img]http://1.bp..com/_0NpRoO0BjG8/Sog8p6BTACI/AAAAAAAACpM/5mqBgyxC_Yo/s320/YDaCosta2.jpg[/img]
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by fstranger3(m): 4:34am On Mar 15, 2011
tpiah!:

Donald Adeosun Faison/christopher turk.
yaya dacosta:

[img]http://1.bp..com/_0NpRoO0BjG8/Sog8p6BTACI/AAAAAAAACpM/5mqBgyxC_Yo/s320/YDaCosta2.jpg[/img]

Prolly New scrubs which I have absofuckingly refused to watch

Turk's case is not quite clear. His brother has a Nigerian name as well and he looks Nigerian

But i more worried about Naima.    .    .   where did the name Naima come from?

She looks kinda arab to me, compare with Paula Abdul.   .   .  Pls Tpiah, prove me wrong.

I am still hoping she is Arab though!
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by ekubear1: 4:44am On Mar 15, 2011
^-- What is up with your Arab fetish? Are Arab women even that hot? I've met a few cute Lebanese girls before, but also some fat and unattractive Egyptians and Moroccans.
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by Nobody: 4:47am On Mar 15, 2011
But i more worried about Naima. . . where did the name Naima come from?

She looks kinda arab to me, compare with Paula Abdul

naima is a muslim name, as you well know.

imo, she just looks mixed.
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by Nobody: 4:48am On Mar 15, 2011
What is up with your Arab fetish? Are Arab women even that hot? I've met a few cute Lebanese girls before, but also some fat and unattractive Egyptians and Moroccans.

everyone has their ideal, i guess.

i personally think senegalese and malian guys are very hot.
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by fstranger3(m): 4:53am On Mar 15, 2011
eku_bear:

^-- What is up with your Arab fetish? Are Arab women even that hot? I've met a few cute Lebanese girls before, but also some fat and unattractive Egyptians and Moroccans.

Same can be said of any group, and blacks are even guilty of that more so than any other grooup in America

I have met more hot Arabs than any other group in my life, I have a soft spot for Arabic language, falafel grin and a some sassy-ness. Did i mention that they exude this exotic and confident aura rarely found in other group besides Whites?

Not to talk of Palestine girls ( I am yet to meet a worwor girl, from the East coast to the midwest) grin.   .    . Oh my God!

Eku_Bear, you are not seeing what I am seeing and not feeling what I am presently feeling about this Palestine oooooo grin
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by ekubear1: 4:54am On Mar 15, 2011
tpiah!:

everyone has their ideal, i guess.

i personally think senegalese and malian guys are very hot.

Naw it is cool, but I just wonder how he got it. I've always thought it is hard to develop fetishes/crushes w/o meeting lots of people from that ethnic group. So just curious when/where he met lots of Arab women. Or maybe he watched Arab tv as a kid, I dunno.
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by fstranger3(m): 4:56am On Mar 15, 2011
eku_bear:

Naw it is cool, but I just wonder how he got it. I've always thought it is hard to develop fetishes/crushes w/o meeting lots of people from that ethnic group. So just curious when/where he met lots of Arab women. Or maybe he watched Arab tv as a kid, I dunno.

You do know that Paterson NJ has more Arabs than any other place in Nigeria, prolly second to Dearborn MI. And I used to work in Paterson, and I came across a lot of them. And even more in college and now some more. grin

Only God can save me from Muslim Girls! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

They make Nigerian women look like men IMO

No offeinse grin
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by ekubear1: 4:58am On Mar 15, 2011
fstranger3:

Same can be said of any group, and blacks are even guilty of that more so than any other grooup in America
Heh, true. Sometimes I wonder if they understand what they are doing to their bodies stuffing themselves silly like that.

I have met more hot Arabs than any other group in my life, I have a soft spot for Arabic language, falafel grin and a some sassy-ness. Did i mention that they exude this exotic and confident aura rarely found in other group besides Whites?

Not to talk of Palestine girls ( I am yet to meet a worwor girl, from the East coast to the midwest) grin.   .    . Oh my God!

Eku_Bear, you are not seeing what I am seeing and not feeling what I am presently feeling about this Palestine oooooo grin
That is a pretty solid endorsement, lol. Where are you meeting all these Arabs btw? I don't meet too many.
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by ekubear1: 5:01am On Mar 15, 2011
fstranger3:

You do know that Paterson NJ has more Arabs than any other place in Nigeria, prolly second to Dearborn MI. And I used to work in Paterson, and I came across a lot of them. And even more in college and now some more. grin
lol. . . that explains it. I didn't know about this Paterson place.

Only God can save me from Muslim Girls! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
lol. Just be careful that you don't get your Palestinian GF-to-be honor-killed by an angry father grin
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by fstranger3(m): 5:07am On Mar 15, 2011
eku_bear:

lol. Just be careful that you don't get your Palestinian GF-to-be honor-killed by an angry father grin

I am going to start going to the mosque again, hopefully that works.

Thats where my roomates come in, but instead they want her for themselves. Selfish mofos. cool

Anyway, wish me luck grin
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by fstranger3(m): 5:09am On Mar 15, 2011
eku_bear:

From Wiki

. . . South Paterson is a diverse neighborhood with a significant Arab as well as Turkish, and Hispanic community located east of Main Street and west of West Railway Avenue. A majority of the city's Arabs live in this section of Paterson. Many of the retail shops and restaurants cater to this community. The neighborhood is also characterized by Halal meat markets which offer goat and lamb, and shop signs in Arabic. South Paterson's Arab community is mostly made up of Jordanians, Palestinians, Syrians and Lebanese people. South Paterson is located in the city's 6th Ward. . .
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by ekubear1: 5:16am On Mar 15, 2011
^-- Interesting.

I don't think I really have a fetish. Like, there isn't some type of woman I find more attractive than others. My buddy from college though, he is this Mexican guy with a "whites-only" policy  grin grin grin It really cracked me up.

And I'd call him out on it, asking him why he doesn't date any hispanics and he'd lie and pretend it was coincidence   grin grin grin
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by fstranger3(m): 5:27am On Mar 15, 2011
eku_bear:

^-- Interesting.

I don't think I really have a fetish. Like, there isn't some type of woman I find more attractive than others. My buddy from college though, he is this Mexican guy with a "whites-only" policy  grin grin grin It really cracked me up.

And I'd call him out on it, asking him why he doesn't date any hispanics and he'd lie and pretend it was coincidence   grin grin grin

Well, my Asian female classmates have something like that. Something like, Non-Asian men only. And I am not kidding. It used to result in fights among them, Asians, and they could go weeks without talking to each other.  But thank God, they now understand and respect each other's preference.

As for you.   .    . dont you have some sort of fetish for non-chubby women; that is, skinny, for lack of a better word grin
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by ekubear1: 5:43am On Mar 15, 2011
I like skinny girls yeah, but don't hate bigger girls. Just a slight preference. Not like I'd never date a bigger chick. Basically don't be fat and I'm happy grin
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by Nobody: 11:48am On Mar 15, 2011
i dont know what it is with nigerian men and their tendency to be bowled over by anything they see once they leave their backyard.

this is why our forefathers sold their fellow humans for brightly coloured pencils and scarves.

it's so commonplace now to see naija males, anytime they find themselves outside the country, to just start comparing the women there, with their female relatives.  Personally, i do think this shows a bush mentality, because no normal person will refuse to see that no human being is perfect.

If they're in asia, you hear "oh, asian women are the best, far better than nigerian women"

if it's europe," european women are far better than nigerian women"

if it's the middle east" ah, these women here are so much better than nigerian women"

if it's north america, "oh, north american women surpass nigerian women, especially if i need green card"

if it's south africa, "oh, southern african women better pass"

if it's somalia undecided, "oh, somali/horner women are the bomb.

I've met and interacted with plenty of northern africans and/or arabs- and I know the men are extremely hot, but for some reason, I did not find it necessary to compare them with nigerian men.

Same applies to all the other good looking races i know.

some carribean men will literally knock your socks off, and this is quite true. However, I never at any time found myself comparing them with nigerian men. I mean, if naija men are ugly, they are ugly, but do I really need to say this just because I travelled overseas and met some better looking male specimens from other countries.

let's use our common sense when we talk. It's not a crime to have a fetish for shoes, bras, and whatnot, but the genes you're complaining about, also dey your dna.
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by fstranger3(m): 11:55am On Mar 15, 2011
^^^^

ROFLMAO

Very funny Tpiah.

BTW, you will never meet a man as awesome as moi, irrespective of race. . . take it or leave it.

I am the hottest Naijaman alive. I am not saying this to be cocky or something, but everywhere I go, hot chics of all races just "komijes rush rush." grin

If you met me today, seriously, you wouldnt leave me alone until I hit it every way/angle possible. Yes, I am that HOT! grin
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Mar 15, 2011
Seriously doubt it. You do seem to have a problem with what you see in the mirror, because by their words and lack of self esteem we shall know them.
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 15, 2011
And i`ve not even said a word about AA men yet. Smh.
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by blupanther: 2:59pm On Mar 15, 2011
It looks like her mother grew up in South Carolina in a commune modeled after a Yoruba village, hence the name. http://www./?p=114
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by Kilode1: 5:17pm On Mar 15, 2011
In 1978, Adekola sold everything she owned, including her mink coat, leaving Milwaukee to move to the[b] Oyotunji commune in South Carolina[/b].

A civil rights activist and member of the Black Power movement, Adekola went to the village to connect with her African ancestry and to abandon the constraints of what she saw as a diseased American establishment.

Her studies on the commune included texts on[b] Yoruba [/b] and Egyptian history, astrology and Yoruba rites and rituals, all done by the light of her kerosene lamp. “The village was dedicated to the Yoruba lifestyle. The Yoruba of southwestern Nigeria is who we patterned ourselves after,” she said. “So we spoke the language, we wore the clothes. We danced the dances. We sang the songs.”

My people  cool

Keeping the spirit and teachings of the Orishas alive.

It's not hard to see the good results in Mother and Daughter cool

Iba! for the Irunmoles.

@Fstranger

Is this Naima Adedapo? rocking the "eyo owo" necklace?

looks like a typical "redbone" abi na "Yellowbone" AA. She "inherited" those amazing lips too.

Great vibe though, I just watched a video of her performance.

Did you notice the way she pronounces her name "Adedapo" like perfectly? Makes me glad smiley
Re: Is Naima Adedapo 100% Nigerian? by armyofone(m): 5:52pm On Mar 15, 2011
ummm, i like her sha but when she sang that yeye abi na yaya and baba i was like ki lo she le ni Ameri idol 2011 grin

i think she will be going home soon grin

i don't like too much cowries for my neck. you will know AA going african by that cowries as necklace and leg/hand
lace grin
orisha m'be oooooooooo

(1) (2) (Reply)

An Interview With Missgdope / Kenneth Okonkwo:even In Death Him Still Entertain Us As He Remember Muna Ibiekwe / Beyonce Bans Kim Kardashian From Inner Circle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.