Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,818 members, 7,837,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. (5055 Views)

Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia Gives $10m To Build Nuclear Terrorism Combat Center / Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students / Taiwan Lawmakers Fight Over Nuclear Plant Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by texazzpete(m): 7:47am On Mar 15, 2011
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 15, 2011
texazpette wrote:

Is it just me or is @ROSSIKE deriving ghoullish pleasure from the travails of the Japanese people?

PS: I stopped reading your wordpress link when the brainless twit said a meltdown would lead to an atomic explosion. Of all the people to quote, why pick an uninformed and ignorant scaremonger who doesn't know anything?

Birds of the same feather, i guess

You first misquote the man then claim he said what he didn't say. In the meantime you need to diversify your news sources and get your little texas head out of CNN. There's FAR MORE to what's going on than what the Japanese government, and CNN, are telling you.

http://english.pravda.ru/world/asia/12-03-2011/117174-explosion_in_japanese_reactor-0/
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by homerac7: 7:53am On Mar 15, 2011
@ rossike

Stop being fo.oolish

I am an engineer and into enrgy resources. I am not one of dos u can just copy n paste any info online to bamboozle. Moreover between u n I, on ds issue, i am d authority here. Stop quoting unintelligient write ups online for me. Many of dos writer r below me in authority on dos issues. Stick to ur art n history calling, u r doing just fine there and stop forming knowing subjects u dont know just because u can do copy n paste.

Also ur sense of "superiority complex" is dellusionary. Wake up to reality, shoes get size; Nigeria is too low to compare her technologically wt Japan. Taking a Nigerian nuclear technology exper input on d matter is another issue entirely, wc doesnt still make u qualified as d person.

Take a rest dude
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by ekubear1: 7:56am On Mar 15, 2011
Thanks for that article, texazzpete.

Question: Why did Japan so readily turn to nuclear power when the country experienced the terrible effects of nuclear radiation when it was bombed during World War II?
Samuels: It's a good question, but it's a fairly easy one to answer. Despite that history, Japan is resource poor. And its resource poverty trumped its unpleasant history with nuclear radiation. That is, Japan knew that it would need more resources if it were going to transform itself into a global powerhouse. And it had no oil. It was running out of coal and there was no liquefied natural gas in the 1950s.

Hard not to admire these great people. Imagine building such a great society with no resources, after getting your @ss kicked in a war and getting two nukes dropped on you. And doing this all in 20 years. A testament to their resilience and great leadership.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 7:57am On Mar 15, 2011
Eku bear said:

@Rossike: What do you suggest?

If no nuclear, then what? Where do you get cheap electricity from? Again, it isn't like Japan is Nigeria, with enormous amounts of coal and NG readily available.

No cheap electricity => no manufacturing, no industry => massive loss of jobs => civil unrest.

How should they avoid this undesirable outcome?

There are all sorts of alternatives to a system with the potential to send RADIATION TOXINS TO MY KIDS AND YOURS AS THEY SLEEP.

That some people on account of ''development'' would endanger the lives of THE WORLD'S PEOPLE by building nuclear sites in areas with high seismic activity, shows there is something seriously wrong with humanity's mindset.

What about NOT being an ''industrial giant'' but instead harnessing limited energy through solar and wind power to build a nation that is not necessarily ''the third wealthiest on earth'' but a self-sufficient, medium income, functional society that doesn't constitute itself a standing time bomb??

A perennial nuclear catastrophe waiting to happen?

Is that NOT an option? I mean, at what point does the interest of HUMANITY and the EARTH supercede pecuniary and material interests of a FEW?

Somebody said the builders of the plants had them protected against earthquakes 8 degrees on the Richter Scale.

What of the day the earth releases a 10.8 degree quake?

How will the nuclear reactors react to that

The answer of: ''Oh they are Japanese. They must know what they're doing, You are a Nigerian so shut up'', is NOT a satisfactory response. That is the answer of slaves. Slaves can set up their own thread on this if required.

This debate is for free men.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by homerac7: 8:02am On Mar 15, 2011
Rossike

Ur latest response to dapobear's post shows how dumb u r on such issues. Like i saidstick to ur art n history n stop whinning
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by ekubear1: 8:02am On Mar 15, 2011
@ROSSIKE: Solar is too expensive. Wind won't generate enough electricity. Using those two things to power a society doesn't lead to a "self-sufficient, medium income" country. It leads to Togo.

It is easy enough to suggest that someone else make decisions that will lead to him being poor. But it is very doubtful that you'd do the same in your own personal life.

Hell, if you believe so strongly in the "interest of HUMANITY and the EARTH", I assume that you are a vegetarian, do not drive a car, live in a low-impact Fulani hut in the middle of nowhere?

Otherwise you are a hypocrite.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by jaybee3(m): 8:07am On Mar 15, 2011
^^^^
couldn't have put it better
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by ekubear1: 8:09am On Mar 15, 2011
ROSSIKE:

The answer of: ''Oh they are Japanese. They must know what they're doing, You are a Nigerian so shut up'', is NOT a satisfactory response. That is the answer of slaves. Slaves can set up their own thread on this if required.

This debate is for free men.

Lol, don't try that self-hating card with me. It would be more accurate to describe me as an ethnic chauvinist than a self-hater. I'm certainly am not in the habit of hero-worshiping other races or peoples.

However, this doesn't mean I'll reject good policies that others have taken just because they are different. It also doesn't mean I won't acknowledge the weaknesses/mistakes of my own people.

If aliens from outer space do something good, I'll acknowledge it and learn from it, hopefully use it to benefit my own people. I won't reject it out of hand or kick them when they are down just because they are different. Same for Japanese.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 8:15am On Mar 15, 2011
@ROSSIKE: Solar is too expensive. Wind won't generate enough electricity.

I think you're far too quick to dismiss those energy sources.

Using those two things to power a society doesn't lead to a "self-sufficient, medium income" country. It leads to Togo.

WRONG. The USA generates up to 35,000 mw on wind power. Germany generates at least 26,000 mw on wind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power

Japan could decide to limit her energy intensive industry and MAKE DO with less dangerous sources of energy.

MONEY AND WEALTH IS NOT EVERYTHING.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 8:16am On Mar 15, 2011
Intersting discussion, if I must say.

The japanese are very meticulous people, and I'm sure if this is something they can prevent, they would have done everything possible to control it.
Natural disasters are very difficult to manage, especially a massive 8.9 magnitude earthquake.

@Rossike

You are unfortunately not very well informed about this issue. This is not a slight, it's just that we can't know everything.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 8:20am On Mar 15, 2011
@ Rossike

You are beating up Japan. What do you say about Nigeria toying with the idea of building nuclear power plants, when Nigeria is swimming in a sea of Natural gas.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 8:20am On Mar 15, 2011
Aigbofa said:

Intersting discussion, if I must say.

The japanese are very meticulous people, and I'm sure if this is something they can prevent, they would have done everything possible to control it.

Spare us your hero worshipping BOLLOCKS. Go start a CHURCH of Shintoism or something. This is a not a thread relating to throwing admiring praise at the Japanese, but at discussing a dangeous situation that threatens human beings if allowed to continue unchecked. If you cannot show that nuclear plants on earthquake prone sites are safe, then please BUGGER OFF.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 8:23am On Mar 15, 2011
Aigbofa said:

@ Rossike

You are beating up Japan. What do you say about Nigeria toying with the idea of building nuclear power plants, when Nigeria is swimming in a sea of Natural gas.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? What has ''Nigeria'' got to do with ANY OF THIS?

CAN YOU NOT SEPARATE YOURSELVES FROM THE FACT THAT YOU ARE NIGERIAN?

You are first and foremost an INDIVIDUAL. Think like one. STOP CARRYING NIGERIA ON YOUR HEAD. I certainly don't.

Which is why I find so many responses here irritating.

It's as if being a Nigerian has made your shut your brain off to the world. Ludicrous.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 8:24am On Mar 15, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Aigbofa said:

Spare us your hero worshipping BOLLOCKS. Go start a CHURCH of Shintoism or something. This is a not a thread relating to throwing admiring praise at the Japanese, but at discussing a dangeous situation that threatens human beings if allowed to continue unchecked. If you cannot show that nuclear plants on earthquake prone sites are safe, then please BUGGER OFF.

Why don't you just admit you are ill informed about this subject and spare yourself the embarrasment of looking ignorant. All of us cannot be hero worshipping Japan.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Tunmi(f): 8:25am On Mar 15, 2011
I believe this person put it quite succinctly:

texazzpete:

, if they can't make air transportation 100% safe, is it worth the risk to the people on the ground?

ROSSIKE:

WRONG. The USA generates up to 35,000 mw on wind power. Germany generates at least 26,000 mw on wind.
And the USA or Germany cannot rely solely on wind power or solar power. It's a combination of all resources in order to provide for the population they have.

I'm slightly disgusted that in a time of natural disaster, because that was what caused this, you're pointing out that Japan was "stupid and greedy to build nuclear reactors" The earthquake and the consequent tsunami are unprecedented--never happened before. Those nuclear reactors were the source of power for that archipelago. Now, if Nigeria had its own power source, with all its resources, maybe--just maybe, you could say something to slight these people.

Oh and please bring up another argument other than the self-hating one, it's getting a tad bit played out.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by ekubear1: 8:26am On Mar 15, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Well, we can discuss solar and wind in depth, if you like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power
Only 3% of the USs electricity is generated from wind, dude. Where do you suggest getting the other 97% from? Or perhaps you are suggesting that we cut down usage to some fraction of the current amount? Even going to 90% of the current amount would cause a deep economic recession.

Such a recession wouldn't just hurt the US. . . it would hurt everyone. Like, a lot. You, me, Nigerians, Africans, everyone.

Japan could decide to limit her energy intensive industry and MAKE DO with less dangerous sources of energy.

MONEY AND WEALTH IS NOT EVERYTHING.
What about the jobs? How do you replace the jobs? How would healthcare work with less jobs? How do you pay for education with less jobs? How do you pay for anything, really?
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 8:31am On Mar 15, 2011
Aigbofa said:

Why don't you just admit you just spare yourself the embarrasment and stop talking about things you are ill informed about.

Recycling a thousand times that I am ''ill informed'' is fruitless unless you can actually SHOW it. My position is unchanged.

All of us cannot be hero worshipping Japan.

All of you are not hero worshipping Japan. Most of you are. Everyone knows Nigerians can be very thoughtless when it comes to feeling inferior to other societies and peoples.

''Oh the Japanese are so brilliant when it comes to such things'', you purr like thoughtless lap dogs in heat.

What do you say about the opposition to nuclear plants within Japan itself, by the Japanese people, as I earlier posted? Are they also ''ill informed'' about the nuclear plants on their earthquake prone coastlines?

With what they're going through now, (y'know, the little thing with nuclear plants exploding all around them) I've no doubt a comment by yourself to that effect there right now will be met with a much deserved punch to your fat face.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Tunmi(f): 8:34am On Mar 15, 2011
ROSSIKE, try to stop with the insults and your arguments might actually have some merit.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 8:38am On Mar 15, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Aigbofa said:

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? What has ''Nigeria'' got to do with ANY OF THIS?

CAN YOU NOT SEPARATE YOURSELVES FROM THE FACT THAT YOU ARE NIGERIAN?

You are first and foremost an INDIVIDUAL. Think like one. STOP CARRYING NIGERIA ON YOUR HEAD. I certainly don't.

Which is why I find so many responses here irritating.

It's as if being a Nigerian has made your shut your brain off to the world. Ludicrous.

The point I'm trying to make is: Unlike Nigeria, Japan does not have natural gas or coal to run their power plants. Nuclear power plants makes a lot of economic sense for them, and they have done extremely well, until this earthquake, which is really unpreventable.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 8:44am On Mar 15, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Aigbofa said:

Recycling a thousand times that I am ''ill informed'' is fruitless unless you can actually SHOW it. My position is unchanged.

All of you are not hero worshipping Japan. Most of you are. Everyone knows Nigerians can be very thoughtless when it comes to feeling inferior to other societies and peoples.

''Oh the Japanese are so brilliant when it comes to such things'', you purr like thoughtless lap dogs in heat.

What do you say about the opposition to nuclear plants within Japan itself, by the Japanese people, as I earlier posted? Are they also ''ill informed'' about the nuclear plants on their earthquake prone coastlines?

With what they're going through now, (y'know, the little thing with nuclear plants exploding all around them) I've no doubt a comment by yourself to that effect there right now will be met with a much deserved punch to your fat face.

I don't need to recycle anything really. You are obviously ignorant.
8.9 magnitude earthquake is not something you have everyday, and even at that, the plants are not destroyed by the quake itself, but by the tsunami.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 8:48am On Mar 15, 2011
@OP, I do believe they gave proper thought to these things if otherwise and their greed got the better part of them, its their luck
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 8:57am On Mar 15, 2011
Aigbofa said:

I don't need to recycle anything really. You are obviously ignorant.

A rent a crowd praise singer to ''Japanese ingenuity'' calling someone else ignorant. I think you're a veritable clown.

8.9 magnitude earthquake is not something you have everyday

BUT IT HAPPENS, CORRECT

And it can get even bigger, did you know that??

and even at that, the plants are not destroyed by the quake itself, but by the tsunami.

The tectonic faultines are not limited to surface land. They occur and crash into one another in the earth's crust deep out at sea, causing displacement of the sea floor, so what you said makes no sense. Of course tsunamis will occur following certain earthquakes in that region.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 9:01am On Mar 15, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Aigbofa said:

A rent a crowd praise singer to ''Japanese ingenuity'' calling someone else ignorant. I think you're a veritable clown.

BUT IT HAPPENS, CORRECT

And it can get even bigger, did you know that??

The tectonic faultines are not limited to surface land. They occur in the earth's crust deep at sea, so what you said makes no sense. Of course tsunamis will occur following earthquakes in that region.

Not every earthquake comes with a tsunami, you bone headed idi.ot.
You are not intersted in learning, only to throw insults. You are not even very good at that either.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 9:03am On Mar 15, 2011
I said in early correction that certain earthquakes will lead to tsunamis, particularly when they hit the 7 to 9 mark on the Richter scale.

YOU are the one more interested in posing as a ''professor of geology'' while offering little of substance.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 9:05am On Mar 15, 2011
ROSSIKE:

I said certain earthquakes will lead to tsunamis particularly when they hit the 7 to 9 on the Richter scale.

YOU are the one more interested in posing as a ''professor of geology'' while saying little but insults.

Nope! You edited your nonsensical ranting up there. I did not edit your post. I said you are ignorant.
I'm not a professor of geology. Apart from the science of building nuclear power plants, most of this is elementary geography, which you clearly slept through in high school.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 9:06am On Mar 15, 2011
Aigbofa said:

Nope! You edited your nonsensical ranting up there. I did not edit your post. I said you are ignorant.

And I said you're a dummb praise singing clown, with a bunch of raffia where your brains ought to be.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 9:12am On Mar 15, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Aigbofa said:

And I said you're a dummb praise singing clown, with a bunch of raffia where your brains ought to be.

It's ok if you don't know. Like I said earlier, you can't know everything. This is way over your head.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 9:13am On Mar 15, 2011
Aigbofa said:

Apart from the science of building nuclear power plants, most of this is elementary geography, which you clearly slept through at high school.

Your ''high school'' seems to have been more adept at churning out half-baked, praise-singing riff raff and jobless loafers than real men of thought and intellect.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 9:18am On Mar 15, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Aigbofa said:

Your ''high school'' seems to have been more expert at churning out praise singing riff raff and abusive professor wannabes than any real men of thought and intellect.

You are derailing your own thread. I really like others who are more knowledgeable than you to come here and educate you on why the Japanese put more thoughts to building their infrastructures than your infantile outbursts.
Good luck to you.

P.S Google is not a substitute to reading real books. Olodo
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 9:22am On Mar 15, 2011
Aigbofa said:

You are derailing your own thread. I really like others who are more knowledgeable than you to come here and educate you on why the Japanese put more thoughts to building their infrastructures than your infantile outbursts.
Good luck to you.

Is that an admission of incompetence on your part? I thought you were the expert geologist here sent to educate ignorant Rossike? Why are you begging experts to come in here to ''teach Rossike''? So you mean you really don't know how the Japanese are right. But they just are because they are Japanese, correct?

SLAVE.
Re: Japan Was S.TUPID And Greedy To Build Nuclear Reactors. by Nobody: 9:25am On Mar 15, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Aigbofa said:

Is that an admission of incompetence on your part? I thought you were the expert geologist here sent to educate ignorant Rossike? Why are you begging experts to come in here to ''teach Rossike''? So you mean you really don't know how the Japanese are right. But they just are because they are Japanese, correct?

SLAVE.

Debating with you is painful. At least you want the person you are debating with to have an idea of what he's talking about. You dont.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

US Loses AAA Credit Rating From Standard & Poor / Hillary Clinton May Still Become The US President In 2017. Don't Condemn Joshua / Top Ten Books That Every Black Person Should Read For Self Empowerment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.