Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,956 members, 7,825,000 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students (6500 Views)

Japan To Make Couples Go On Compulsary Vacations...to Have More Sex / Japan To Send Couples On Compulsory Vacations For Sex / North Korea To Launch MISSILE Today!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by lobell: 5:44pm On Aug 30, 2013
Youngsters in Japan who are glued to their smartphones and laptops may be sent to an Internet "fasting" camp to help them disconnect from the online world.

The Ministry of Education estimates that some 518,000 Japanese children between the ages of 12 and 18 are addicted to the Internet, according to The Daily Telegraph. And officials fear that the number of middle school and high school students in need of a digital detox is rising.

To combat this growing problem, the ministry has asked the government to fund immersion programs, or "fasting" camps, designed to separate the children from their computers, handheld gaming devices and mobile phones.

"We want to get them out of the virtual world and to encourage them to have real communication with other children and adults," Akifumi Sekine, a ministry spokesperson, told The Telegraph.

The camps would be held outdoors and at public facilities where the kids would have no way to access the Internet. Instead, they would be encouraged to participate in games, team sports and other activities. Psychiatrists and clinical psychotherapists would be on standby in case the youngsters struggle with the transition back to reality.

The Ministry also plans to launch a comprehensive research project on Internet addiction in the next fiscal year.

An excess of "screen time" has been linked to sleep disorders, depression and obesity, according to the

According to the Yomiuri Shimbun, online addiction can cause sleep and eating disorders as well as deep vein thrombosis, a blood clot in the lower leg or thigh that sometimes associated with traveling on long-haul flights.

Excess “screen time” may also increase a child’s risk of depression, attention problems and obesity, as well as interfere with their school work.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/internet-addicted-teens-can-unplug-at-japanese-fasting-camps-1.1433485

1 Like

Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by Capnd143(m): 7:20pm On Aug 30, 2013
Disadvantages of 24 hours power, how would u get addicted to internet in nigeria when there is no power to charge ur devices?

15 Likes

Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by Nobody: 11:06am On Aug 31, 2013
how naija go addict when we never even enjoy normal browsing, talk more off addicted own..

commente dux secondra...
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by crystalballs: 11:06am On Aug 31, 2013
gud
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by Jayses(m): 11:06am On Aug 31, 2013
Only naira land and google brings me online. Mtheeeeeew if them like make dem put dem for bottle.
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by Austeenxx: 11:07am On Aug 31, 2013
LoL.
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by dhammer(m): 11:08am On Aug 31, 2013
An education system that's actually working! We haven't decided whether all children should go to school or not.

2 Likes

Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by emmawiz: 11:09am On Aug 31, 2013
Dat 1 na dia own piece of shit.. Continues wankin!
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by glizengem(f): 11:10am On Aug 31, 2013
Gud nija we r safe, we can't b addicted wen Nepa, mtn, n high cost of fuel r dia 2 frustrate u....

3 Likes

Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by homesteady(m): 11:10am On Aug 31, 2013
How 'll fasting camps solve the addiction??
When the fasting camps are over, won't they go back to their houses and continue their internet addiction??

1 Like

Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by chymystique(f): 11:11am On Aug 31, 2013
I guess et nt gonna b compulsory... To me Fasting camps won't solve d addiction....
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by Nobody: 11:11am On Aug 31, 2013
END TIME TINX

1 Like

Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by Yomexylona(m): 11:12am On Aug 31, 2013
A nice move no doubt.
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by unmask: 11:12am On Aug 31, 2013
Guess they have some people that are concerned.... Good one
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by DonaldGenes(m): 11:13am On Aug 31, 2013
"Interesting read"
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by nekaa(f): 11:15am On Aug 31, 2013
Werrin person no go hear?
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by Kslib(m): 11:16am On Aug 31, 2013
Nice initiative from the japanese.. Being glued to the internet all day long,247,clearly has its disadvantages..
Nice program but i doubt if it'll have that much effect cos i see them going back to being "addictives" when the program ends cos old habits do die hard..
The program might teach them the fact that "life is also beautiful" without the internet and make them "less addictive",but i see them going back to being their former selves slowly/gradually.. All thesame,Nice initiative by the japanese..
All izz well!

1 Like

Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by caesaraba(m): 11:17am On Aug 31, 2013
Okija Juju should be dragged to that camp A.S.A.P!

1 Like

Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by bory09(m): 11:17am On Aug 31, 2013
lobell:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/internet-addicted-teens-can-unplug-at-japanese-fasting-camps-1.1433485
is it in this country where people are managing megabyte like food you will see someone addicted to internet and whereas where is the light even service gan na by luck. So no need for them to waste money on any camp just packed them to nigeria, nigeria itself its a camp

11 Likes

Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by Nobody: 11:17am On Aug 31, 2013

If you are not addicted to the internet yet, you are either Amish or Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by Brimmie(m): 11:23am On Aug 31, 2013
There should be a planet named INTERNET.
=======================

We learn Online
We Shop Online
We meet People Online
We hav.e Sex Online
We watch Movies Online
We play/hear Songs Online
We watch TV Programmes Online
We attend Church Service Online
We go to Prison Online (NairaLand Prison Yard)
=============================

We've not started eating Online, so why Fasting? undecided undecided

15 Likes

Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by Jaywilzee(m): 11:24am On Aug 31, 2013
(Spoke person)Akinfumi sekinat has spoken..abeg. .snatch dos devices frm dem.....
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by Nobody: 11:24am On Aug 31, 2013

My internet addiction began 5 years ago when I was in SS1. Back then my parents confiscated my phones and banned me from the family computer. I just laughed and bought new phones. Now they can only talk.
`
The worst thing you can do to me now is to take away the Internet. I spend over 20k a month on data.
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by bionicdude(m): 11:25am On Aug 31, 2013
deejay_harry1: END TIME TINX
u deserve flogging
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by AkinDavid2: 11:31am On Aug 31, 2013
SimonAndal:
My internet addiction began 5 years ago when I was in SS1. Back then my parents confiscated my phones and banned me from the family computer. I just laughed and bought new phones. Now they can only talk.
`
The worst thing you can do to me now is to take away the Internet. I spend over 20k a month on data.

Young Man grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by AkinDavid2: 11:32am On Aug 31, 2013
I learnt my Visual Basic Programming online. Still addicted as usual

1 Like

Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by Brimmie(m): 11:33am On Aug 31, 2013
SimonAndal:
`

20k?? **clears throat**

3 Likes

Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by demelza: 11:35am On Aug 31, 2013
I need to enroll in such a camp before my parents go completely ballistic on me.
Even when my eyes are hurting I still stay glued.
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by fitzmayowa: 11:36am On Aug 31, 2013
SimonAndal:
`

Hmmm...na wa ooo
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by Dannyxy(m): 11:47am On Aug 31, 2013
How does this affect ASUU strike?#team occupy ASUU,mi' o, raye' iranu,
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by Nobody: 12:02pm On Aug 31, 2013
Space for sale cheesy
Re: Japan To Launch 'fasting' Camps For Internet-addicted Students by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 31, 2013
Japan- the land of square water melons. . . not surprised at all.

(1) (2) (Reply)

China Unveils Terrifying Dongfeng-41 Nuke That ‘can Strike US In 30 Minutes / WWI Soldier's Room Has Not Been Touched Since He Died In 1918(pics) / Mugabe Calls Top Us Official 'an Idiot'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.