Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him (60880 Views)

Video Of Jerry Rawlings On Hospital Bed Before His Death / Jerry Rawlings Death: Akufo-Addo Declares 7 Days Of National Mourning In Ghana / Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Mazigabriel(m): 7:09am On Nov 13, 2020
seunmohmoh:
Who will Nigeria remember?
Nigeria would remember Buhari for bringing the worst administration, Poverty and hardship to the country
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by einsteine(m): 7:19am On Nov 13, 2020
His father was from Scotland
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by tinktanker: 7:25am On Nov 13, 2020
This man like coup sha
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by mywells: 7:46am On Nov 13, 2020
Lastmankc:
What about Tinubu?
How can you mention a goat when we're discussing about Lion here.
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by greatbuc(m): 7:49am On Nov 13, 2020
Fuckingmallam45:
A lot of people tend to celebrate Rawlings because the optics are good. Yes, he came to power via a millitary coup detat but left as an elected civilian president. He stressed financially judicious policies, struck down on corruption and overall actually did more to develop Ghana than anyone since Nkrumah.

But these actions do not make one a Revolutionary. A revolutionary challenges and attempts to change a system in place that oppreses or otherwise subjucates. Rawlings never tried to change the system in place, in fact he only wanted to make the preexisting system “better", and like I stated, some of his policies ended up hurting Ghana badly down the line.

At the crux of it, he either lacked the balls to challenge the West (like a certain Nelson Mandela) or simply just had great ideas but not a transcendental leader by visionary proclivities (Haile Selassie etc). Thus there's little to no chance why the West will ever see him as a threat. It's not like Rawlings was actively challenging for African control over commodity prices, the debt trap of Neo-colonialism or any other facets which represent the continued domination of Africa and Africans by the West.

In my opinion, Rawlings is so overrated, I guess he has a really good PF team. As individuals like Murtala Mohammed, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Ken Sawo-Wiwa, Winnie Mandela, Steve Biko, Robert Saboukwe and Amilcar Cabral deserve far greater credit and adulation than JJ Rawlings.
My opinion though grin
A fight with the West is very unproductive and counter progressive.. That's something to really understand. Your fight with them can only be won if you steadily appoint incorruptible strategic thinkers as leaders for a long stretch of time. Avoid loans and grants! A focused military regime or dictators are the only two sets of governance that can reset a country like ours.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by KomonSense: 7:51am On Nov 13, 2020
Fuckingmallam45:
A lot of people tend to celebrate Rawlings because the optics are good. Yes, he came to power via a millitary coup detat but left as an elected civilian president. He stressed financially judicious policies, struck down on corruption and overall actually did more to develop Ghana than anyone since Nkrumah.

But these actions do not make one a Revolutionary. A revolutionary challenges and attempts to change a system in place that oppreses or otherwise subjucates. Rawlings never tried to change the system in place, in fact he only wanted to make the preexisting system “better", and like I stated, some of his policies ended up hurting Ghana badly down the line.

At the crux of it, he either lacked the balls to challenge the West (like a certain Nelson Mandela) or simply just had great ideas but not a transcendental leader by visionary proclivities (Haile Selassie etc). Thus there's little to no chance why the West will ever see him as a threat. It's not like Rawlings was actively challenging for African control over commodity prices, the debt trap of Neo-colonialism or any other facets which represent the continued domination of Africa and Africans by the West.

In my opinion, Rawlings is so overrated, I guess he has a really good PF team. As individuals like Murtala Mohammed, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Ken Sawo-Wiwa, Winnie Mandela, Steve Biko, Robert Saboukwe and Amilcar Cabral deserve far greater credit and adulation than JJ Rawlings.
My opinion though grin

You started well and ended so badly by even mentioning any Nigeria person name at all....
WTF!!!!

Mtcheew

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by KomonSense: 8:00am On Nov 13, 2020
dfrost:

I guess you meant PR team.

Murtala Mohammed - X
Chief Obafemi Awolowo - X regional leader
Ken Sawo-Wiwa - X - regional interests
Winnie Mandela - lost it at some point, I won't blame her though
Steve Biko, Robert Saboukwe and Amilcar Cabral - deserve to be mentioned with NM

But like you said, your opinion. I respect that.

Thomas Sankara - A man/force that was stopped cry

Nigeria is yet to have such leaders that are truly selfless.

Thank you my brother...you've said it all.

May God multiply your wisdom
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by amazingspiderma: 8:44am On Nov 13, 2020
Fuckingmallam45:

My opinion though grin
This is what people can post when data becomes cheap.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by ChaosMagus: 8:53am On Nov 13, 2020
raymondhill:
Rawlings controlling traffic

This man is not afraid to get his hands dirty. I remember him entering into a stinky gutter in ashaiman with a shovel to desilt it. I was in class 5. I can still remember that day like it was yesterday... hahaa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by shantti(m): 8:56am On Nov 13, 2020
wahala for who dey wait for buratai to plot coup against buhari
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by ChaosMagus: 9:18am On Nov 13, 2020
samuel19222:
Rest in Power senior man

Who be Buhari near j Rawlings for military action

Meanwhile this officer in red marking resembles Thomas Sankara or is he the one?

Yeh.. That's him. The two of them were really close. They both had the same mindset. Most people now do not know that during their rule, they planned to unify Ghana and Burkina Faso into a single country. This is a fact.
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by johnnobles: 9:21am On Nov 13, 2020
LikeAking:
Nigeria is cursed. We will never have a great man like this.
Obasanjo would have equalled him but for his cunny nature
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Chidex50(m): 10:04am On Nov 13, 2020
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
It is obvious he was a real niggarrrr
Aswear.We need his type.
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by lkillbrokehoes: 10:08am On Nov 13, 2020
seunmohmoh:
Who will Nigeria remember?
Olodo
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Ajsmart(m): 10:57am On Nov 13, 2020
Ghana has a great yet controversial leader in Rawlings. Rest Easy Jerry.
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by DAVE5(m): 11:35am On Nov 13, 2020
maximusprime2000:
how come he look more handsome when old than when young

He aged with grace
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by ChaosMagus: 11:37am On Nov 13, 2020
Another fact...
He, Robert Mugabe,Kwame Nkrumah and other past Ghanaian leaders are alumni of the same secondary school. Achimota School in Ghana. Peace
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Timsilver(m): 12:29pm On Nov 13, 2020
airsaylongcom:

Rawlings wey smoke cigarette like chimney.
Did he die young?
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by navzla(m): 12:29pm On Nov 13, 2020
LikeAking:
Nigeria is cursed. We will never have a great man like this.

I do not agree .Nigeria once had indiagbon
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by LikeAking: 12:46pm On Nov 13, 2020
johnnobles:

Obasanjo would have equalled him but for his cunny nature

Obasanjo loot plenty money na? And He didn't fight corruption.
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by LikeAking: 12:47pm On Nov 13, 2020
eedimo:

Your Nigeria could be cursed but mine is blessed.

Deceive your self.
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Nobody: 12:47pm On Nov 13, 2020
Timsilver:

Did he die young?

No. But he didn't live a healthy life was my point. Maybe eugenics. But definitely not healthy lifestyle
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by LikeAking: 12:47pm On Nov 13, 2020
ada9ja:
Nigeria is just a name of a country with people in it.....so if Nigeria is cursed, then it mean the people is cursed which exclude me and includes you

Deceive your self.

Your are cursed.
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 13, 2020
Fuckingmallam45:

My opinion though grin
you spoke a lot of English that any non discerning individual would think you made sense.

Every country doesn't have the necessary characteristics to challenge world powers. What commodity does Ghana export the most in the world to actually challenge U.S?
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by ada9ja(f): 1:01pm On Nov 13, 2020
LikeAking:

Deceive your self.

Your are cursed.
you just said You are Cursed...so shall it be
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Chinemeremjosh0(m): 1:40pm On Nov 13, 2020
That's good to know about him
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by LikeAking: 2:23pm On Nov 13, 2020
ada9ja:

you just said You are Cursed...so shall it be

Pikin.
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by enomakos(m): 2:59pm On Nov 13, 2020
samuel19222:
Rest in Power senior man

Who be Buhari near j Rawlings for military action

Meanwhile this officer in red marking resembles Thomas Sankara or is he the one?
yes that is sankara
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Babastrong(m): 3:32pm On Nov 13, 2020
This is one of the great men that stood against corruption and won.
pls tell mr integrity(bubu)/ buhari not to campaign against corruption in his life again because himself is corrupt by appointing SADIYA UMAR FAROUQ as a minister.
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by dfrost: 5:56pm On Nov 13, 2020
KomonSense:

Thank you my brother...you've said it all.

May God multiply your wisdom

Thanks brother and to all of us to see the truth and say it.
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by ada9ja(f): 9:16pm On Nov 13, 2020
LikeAking:

Pikin.
old person close to grave
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by eedimo(m): 4:27am On Nov 14, 2020
LikeAking:

Deceive your self.
I know who I am, I am a child of God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Prostitute Who Drugged Her Client & Stole His Goods Caught & Tied With Rope(pics / Trump Asks Governors To Reopen Churches & Mosques (Declares Them Essential) / Lady Covers Her Nude Body With Paint To Mark Ghana's 61st Independence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.