Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,182 members, 7,849,671 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:35 AM

Nigeria Was Technologically Advanced Before European Colonialism - Evidence - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Was Technologically Advanced Before European Colonialism - Evidence (5048 Views)

Top 10 African Cities Before European Invasion - Vid / Why Is It That The Only Time Any USA President Visited Nigeria Was Obasanjo Era? / Igbos Are The Most Technologically Advanced Black Race On Planet Earth- Reno Omo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Was Technologically Advanced Before European Colonialism - Evidence by Rossnitti: 7:28am On Feb 16, 2021
illicit:

tongue

I must have been drunk....

Hmmm....
Re: Nigeria Was Technologically Advanced Before European Colonialism - Evidence by Rossnitti: 8:13am On Feb 16, 2021
KosiGee:

Oga Rossikki, your passion for Nigeria, Africa and the black race is admirable and second to none, I’ve not seen anyone on here exhibit so much energy whether it’s showcasing and trying to inform people about Africa’s glorious past like you are doing now and viciously attacking those who show ignorance, denigrate the culture or sometimes disagree with your submissions..

Respect sir, use of the talking drums and other forms of instrument to communicate over a distance is well documented but....I don’t believe that this communication could be sustained or feasible over the distance that you mentioned....160km?? I disagree. I think talking drums under good atmospheric conditions are effective not over 16km. I doubt at even this distance, the message would be received or interpreted correctly.

While I don’t dispute the the use of the talking drums to pass messages, I think the range of this communication has been grossly exaggerated. Imagine a sound/message received at about 160km !!. The impact of such a sound at the source! Even with the skill of the drummer, weather conditions like winds and it’s direction...160km!

Igbos use a variety of instruments to pass messages: Ekwe as you mentioned, Ogene and the Oja. Oja is more piercing but I doubt it would travel up to 15 miles in the dead of night with the most clement of wind and other weather conditions.

Yeah, one source in Natural History Magazine attests to a talking drum heard over a 25 mile distance (40 kilometers)

''I knew of one exceptional drum that has been heard 25 miles''

Drum Talk Is the African’s “Wireless”
https://www.naturalhistorymag.com/htmlsite/master.html?https://www.naturalhistorymag.com/htmlsite/editors_pick/1942_09_pick.html

I mean, even 40 kilometres is a huge distance. It was more than enough to serve the needs of the ordinary people in terms of real-time communication. wink wink
Re: Nigeria Was Technologically Advanced Before European Colonialism - Evidence by Rossnitti: 12:29am On Feb 22, 2021
austinvsb:

Oh man! I can read your write ups all day! Glad there are people like this still lurking around on NL smiley smiley smiley

lol.... thanks dude. wink
Re: Nigeria Was Technologically Advanced Before European Colonialism - Evidence by Rossnitti: 12:32am On Feb 22, 2021
Rossnitti:
THE WORLD'S LARGEST MAN-MADE STRUCTURE IS IN NIGERIA

The Walls of Benin City are collectively the world's largest man-made structure and were semi-destroyed by the British in 1897.

Fred Pearce wrote in New Scientist:

"They extend for some 16,000 kilometres in all, in a mosaic of more than 500 interconnected settlement boundaries. They cover 6500 square kilometres and were all dug by the Edo people. In all, they are four times longer than the Great Wall of China, and consumed a hundred times more material than the Great Pyramid of Cheops [in Egypt]. They took an estimated 150 million hours... to construct, and are perhaps the largest single archaeological phenomenon on the planet."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_science_and_technology_in_Africa

BENIN MOAT AND RAMPART TODAY

STRUCTURE AND FUNCTIONALITY

These enormous earthworks known to be the lengthiest in the world were constructed by the Edo people of the defunct Great Kingdom of Benin. An ancient marvel on par with world wonders like the Taj Mahal of India or the Great Wall of China, it was constructed to secure and protect the kingdom from invaders.

Work first began around 800 AD and continued up until around 1460. The structure upon completion comprised of moats and ramparts, covered a border distance of about 16,000 kilometres, the 16,000 sq. kilometres and enclosed about 6,500 square kilometres of community land in a mosaic of more than 500 interconnected settlements. Altogether this was double the length of the Ming Great Wall of China, which measured 8,851 kilometres. The new official length of 21,196 kilometres was announced on June 5th 2012, after the discovery of the Walls of Benin displaced the Great Wall of China, under its old measurements.

The Benin wall sharply defined boundaries, restricted access to the kingdom especially the capital Benin City and provided security. In the late 13th century Oba Oguola (1274-1287) completed the first and second moats and ordered the construction of 20 more moats around essential towns and villages; during this period the kingdom was near its peak and was engaged in many wars. The moats were therefore built as a defensive fortification. In the late 16th Century Oba Ewuare The Great (1440-1473) further fortified and extended the moats by about 3200 kilometres, erected Nine fortified gates and put up thoroughfares.

Raised Section of the Benin Wall

The materials for the construction as widely reported by most researchers was over a hundred times more than the materials used to build the great pyramid of Cheops and was estimated to have taken at least 150 million man hours of digging and hundreds of years to build. Its construction method predates the use of earth moving equipment or technology.

The earth from the dug moat was used to construct the rampart; these ramparts are steep banks of earth and any invader trying to climb over them could be buried in a sand avalanche. The rampart varied in size, from shallow traces to as high as 66 feet. The moats were guarded round the clock, and any invader that was trying to get through could be seen and killed or captured by Benin soldiers.

The very high walls were a nightmare to scale through. Attackers and invaders trying to climb over were target practice for Benin soldiers with their spears and poisoned arrows. The Outer walls formed a thick shield around the city, and its nine gates restricted access. It was heavily guarded round the clock and shut at night.

The heart of Benin city – the capital that housed very important abodes like the Royal Palace and chiefs houses – were enclosed by an inner wall about 10 kilometres long, that was as high and wide as a two-story building. Outside the wall was a deep ditch as deep and wide as the wall. The inner wall had a massive gateway made of wood and earth that was heavily fortified and had a heavy wooden door; travellers and merchants bringing goods into the city usually paid a toll before the gates were open and they were let in.

The walls to a great extent prevented the notorious European and African slavers from their routine raids on towns and villages in search of slaves, these raids were common at the time.

THE FORGOTTEN RUINS

These walls in 1974 made the Guinness Book Of World Records as the world’s largest earthworks before the mechanical era and in 1994 as the second largest man-made structure in the world after the Great Wall of China. In 1995 it was recognized in the cultural category of the UNESCO World Heritage Tentative list.

https://thinkafrica.net/walls-of-benin/

If we had to build something like this today, we'd call the Chinese to do it.

We need to retrace our steps.
Re: Nigeria Was Technologically Advanced Before European Colonialism - Evidence by Rossikki: 6:17am On Mar 22, 2021
Bump!
Re: Nigeria Was Technologically Advanced Before European Colonialism - Evidence by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 7:19am On Mar 22, 2021
Is there a single civilization in Nigeria that was able to built bridge over river.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Was Technologically Advanced Before European Colonialism - Evidence by blueAgent(m): 11:08am On May 10, 2021
Rosskivvyy:
I repeat. The ONLY technology in which the Europeans were superior to us was in military hardware.

In every other endeavour we were at par, or superior to them.

And I am talking as late as the 19th century, just before they invaded.

I have the evidence.

This thread is RED HOT AND SMOKING WITH DETAILS.

It is a MONUMENTAL LIE that we were backward, and that they brought us civilization.

A LIE of the first order.

Dreamer.
Re: Nigeria Was Technologically Advanced Before European Colonialism - Evidence by blueAgent(m): 11:09am On May 10, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

Lol. grin grin
And here was I thinking you had something really important to say. Communicating with drums grin grin
So what happens if ten people communicate at the same time? cheesy grin Na beats by Dre be dat.
Perhaps that's where the British got the word conundrum from cheesy cheesy
Why don't you drop your smartphone and start moving about with a drum cheesy cheesy
Some weird stuff you're smoking bro grin cheesy

Lol.....I don tire to laugh.
Re: Nigeria Was Technologically Advanced Before European Colonialism - Evidence by blueAgent(m): 11:13am On May 10, 2021
Starcrest1:
We are talking about cyber rendering, this one is talking about talking drum and ekwe. Is this not shameful? The issue at hand is that OP is massaging his own ego instead of telling himself the truth.

Africa civilise, Africa civilise na for mouth o. What happened to the civilisation today or have you seen where people left a better civilisation for a crude one.

Bia OP no vex me o. The means of communication, health care system, technology, education and writing systems, even religion you practice today who gave them to you. Yet you open your rotten mouth and be talking rubbish.

Abeg take several seats.

The truth is that colonization was successful in Africa becos Africans were fade up of their crude backward religion and lifestyles.

China and japan with all their civilisation still depend on the West for innovation and knowledge.

I have never seen any law in physics or chemistry postulated by any Asian or blackman.

It's a Whiteman's World the earlier this dudes acknowledge it and move on to better their lives the better.
Re: Nigeria Was Technologically Advanced Before European Colonialism - Evidence by blueAgent(m): 11:15am On May 10, 2021
Rosskivvyy:
IGBO MATHEMATICS

Igbo number system and Igbo mathematical Science

The existence of number names in the Igbo aboriginal language and culture is evidence that the Igbos have a numeric and mathematical system which is rich and advanced like most other civilized cultures of the West.

The typical number system (although not with numeric symbols) of the Igbo was completed long before her contact with colonialists.

Originally, the Igbo number system is vigesimal rather than decimal [vigesimal is based on 20, while decimal is based on 10] but it could be said that the dominating pressures of the west influenced the adoption of the decimal number system throughout Igboland such that for example, twenty which is “ogu” (original vigesimal number system) is now represented in its decimal format as “iri abuo”.

This circumstance has reconstructed the Igbo number system to the present day base 10 or decimal system.

Furthermore, according to Ogoamaka (2006) the Igbo number system before its contact with the West had names for fraction and other mathematical representation such as mpekele which means fraction; “okara” which means half; otu na uzo ise (ratio).

These also show that the traditional Igbo numerical system as it was then was advanced before colonial interruption.

However, since the number system defines the mathematical culture of any given society, it therefore follows that the attributes of the Igbo numbers in divergent appreciation influenced their use in mathematical principles...

Source - Igbo Numerical System and Mathematics: Towards Harnessing Potential for Business, Governance, Science and Technology

CTD.

Most of this things are basic instincts and would not qualify as empirical science.

Even the early men 3000yrs ago knew how to count, start fire and what have you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Christmas: Address Insecurity, Poverty, Unemployment, PFN Tells FG / The ESN Camp I Exposed On Nairaland They Kill Them Today - PHOTOS / Russian Celebrates The Departure Of Mcdonalds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.