Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Which Is Worse: Corruption Or Inadequate Power Supply? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Is Worse: Corruption Or Inadequate Power Supply? (661 Views)

Is Buhari Fighting Corruption Or His Political Enemies? / APC ‘influencing’ Tribunal Judgements Is Worse Than Corruption, Fayose Counsels / 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Worse: Corruption Or Inadequate Power Supply? by omoaba2011: 3:32pm On Mar 18, 2011
What do you consider as the problem that if tackled would have a ripple effect on every aspect of our national life, is it the power problem or corruption in public offices?
Re: Which Is Worse: Corruption Or Inadequate Power Supply? by Jbenue: 4:39pm On Mar 18, 2011
corruption is the root of all that ails nigerian including lack of electricity, we should make corruption punishable by death preferably electricution grin grin grin
Re: Which Is Worse: Corruption Or Inadequate Power Supply? by dayokanu(m): 4:42pm On Mar 18, 2011
As long as we have corruption, No matter what we do, We cant have power supply or any progress for that matter
Re: Which Is Worse: Corruption Or Inadequate Power Supply? by buzugee(m): 4:45pm On Mar 18, 2011
did you think this question out well ?
Re: Which Is Worse: Corruption Or Inadequate Power Supply? by Bawss1(m): 4:48pm On Mar 18, 2011
buzugee:

did you think this question out well ?
grin grin
Re: Which Is Worse: Corruption Or Inadequate Power Supply? by Arosa(m): 4:52pm On Mar 18, 2011
Jbenue:

corruption is the root of all that ails nigerian including lack of electricity, we should make corruption punishable by death preferably electricution grin grin grin
that is why your idea will fail, because every naija person is corrupt according to Oprah. ( excluding me)
Re: Which Is Worse: Corruption Or Inadequate Power Supply? by honeric01(m): 4:55pm On Mar 18, 2011
This is one of the main reason why i want Buhari and Bakare in the government house, once you're caught and tried, you SHOULD be forgotten in jail until you complete your jail term, each political criminal caught stealing money should be assigned 2 personal prison ward and with a tag on the warders that if the politicians escape, substitute himself with someone else in that same prison and it's known to the government, then these 2 warders are going to serve the rest of his jail term.

If you steal anything close to 100 million naira, you should get life sentence

Anything into billions, death by hanging, drowning, firing squad or even through MOB lynching.

WE NEED TO PUT AN END TO THIS.

We all see the way the Asian corrupt politicians commit suicide anytime they are caught? there was be some HARD punishment they always run from, hence the high rate of political suicide there.
Re: Which Is Worse: Corruption Or Inadequate Power Supply? by ekubear1: 4:56pm On Mar 18, 2011
I think power supply is worse.

If there were power supply, I can start a factory of some sort in my village, employ my people and make money. Even something as simple as buying groundnut from the north, making peanut butter and selling it to Lagos  tongue (I dunno how good this specific manufacturing idea would be, but just an example.)

If I can do that, my town will be well-off and happy, whether Nigeria is corrupt or not.
Re: Which Is Worse: Corruption Or Inadequate Power Supply? by honeric01(m): 5:04pm On Mar 18, 2011
^^^^

And why don't we have power?
Re: Which Is Worse: Corruption Or Inadequate Power Supply? by efisher(m): 5:08pm On Mar 18, 2011
The fact is that these two cannot and should not be compared. We cannot place them on the same scale. Once again, corruption is a HUMAN problem while inadequate power is a TECHNO-ECONOMIC problem.

We can solve the power problem with our current status in a short time with the right economic policies and strategies.

The corruption problem on the other hand will need a strategic, gradual process. Think of it, to solve the corruption problem we will need:
[list]
[li]Moral re-education of the populace[/li]
[li]Restructuring of the legal system[/li]
[li]Overhauling of the law enforcement agencies[/li]
[li]Restructuring Contracting policies[/li]
[li]etc.[/li]
[/list]

This will take FOREVER to solve. We should not expect any magician to come and rid the country of corruption. We can only work at it and better CONTROL it.
Re: Which Is Worse: Corruption Or Inadequate Power Supply? by ekubear1: 5:12pm On Mar 18, 2011
@honeric1: Policies like this:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-626421.0.html

Can you imagine the government trying to set the price for electricity several years in advance, rather than letting the market/private companies set it? And they don't even set it at a price at which businessmen/investors can make profit. Who wants to be forced to sell at a loss?

To be fair, corruption and others issues play a role.

But silly gov't regulation is the biggest reason electricity is dead in Nigeria.

Realistically, the government shouldn't even have a role in setting the price of electricity. . . the market alone should.

(1) (Reply)

Zoning Has Not Been Abandoned Yet - Obj / 2011: Why Buhari Should Be President / Jonathan Score Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.