Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,376 members, 7,861,037 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:45 PM

One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. (1406 Views)

14 Things That Hurt Your Wife / How's Your Relationship With Your Parent / When Last Did You Send Money To Your Parent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by tobechi74: 3:18am On Nov 19, 2020
We look up to parents as hero. At times,they fail to show us the love we deserve. Other times, they hurt us.
As kids, we were scared of telling them how they made us feel. They might get angry an inflict more harm on us so we sweep it under the carpet.
But these feeling do not go away like that. It remains somewhere inour subconscious mind. If we examine ourself closely, we transfer this suppressed emotion to our partner and kids.. we transfer the hurt to our loved ones. We repeat the their mistake.

The purpose of telling our parent is not to retaliate or pinnish them.
We are only telling the truth
We avoid repeating the cycle

2 Likes

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by peacenow: 3:51am On Nov 19, 2020
I confronted my dad.
He apologised for his wrong doings and we moved on. I love him even if he did not apologise. He raised me miraculously. It was when I became a man that I found out that my father was poor and did his best to raise me withing his worth.

8 Likes

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by techmo(m): 5:09am On Nov 19, 2020
smiley

It was my aunt that I confronted had no issues with my parents... Funny enough she can never change I just wasted my confrontation on her, ever insultive and mean but deep down very good at heart

2 Likes

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by apasino01: 5:46am On Nov 19, 2020
Confront Wetin ?

Me sef know say as a kid my ear wasn’t really working.

I no hear Word!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by luwiizy(m): 8:28am On Nov 19, 2020
when necessary i gat to let mama know since na only she wey me get.

1 Like

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by bukatyne(f): 8:38am On Nov 19, 2020
apasino01:
Confront Wetin ?

I no hear Word!

Hahahaha!

So did you confront your ears? grin shocked

2 Likes

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by ABOVEDELAW: 9:28am On Nov 19, 2020
YOU SHOULD COMPARE WHAT THEY WENT THROUGH IN YOUR UPBRINGING AND THE SO CALLED HURT AND BALANCE THE EQUATION.
Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by nautybride: 9:45am On Nov 19, 2020
We all laugh over it together when memories bring up such.
Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by Kirchoffs: 9:47am On Nov 19, 2020
Twas my grandma I never had a chance to confront before her death....(God bless her soul ).....the memories still hurt me till tomorrow each time I remember....I love her nonetheless

R.I.P Maami
Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by Chiquitq(f): 10:05am On Nov 19, 2020
It is not a bad idea to confront one's parents if there are resentments. Some parents have some their children wrong in many ways and for some, it is just lack of communication.

1 Like

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by ekitimanalways(m): 12:34pm On Nov 19, 2020
apasino01:
Confront Wetin ?

I no hear Word!
cheesy

1 Like

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by tobechi74: 7:17pm On Nov 19, 2020
peacenow:
I confronted my dad.
He apologised for his wrong doings and we moved on. I love him even if he did not apologise. He raised me miraculously. It was when I became a man that I found out that my father was poor and did his best to raise me withing his worth.

Parenting is not taught. Most parent did what their parents did to them. Inquiring about your parent upbringing gives you an idea of what they went through. Parents who grow up fearing their dad end up raising children who fear them. When you hear their tales,you feel sorry for them and forgive them more

1 Like

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by tobechi74: 1:03am On Nov 20, 2020
techmo:
smiley

It was my aunt that I confronted had no issues with my parents... Funny enough she can never change I just wasted my confrontation on her, ever insultive and mean but deep down very good at heart

it is not wastage. Now you do not hold any grudge against her. You have emptied your feeling. That is the good news
Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by tobechi74: 5:33am On Nov 20, 2020
apasino01:
Confront Wetin ?

I no hear Word!
hope you don calm down else your children will confront you
Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by pozehnani(f): 10:00am On Nov 20, 2020
My both parents died before I could even discover myself enough to start recounting what they did and didn't do to me. I wish they were here now, all that wouldn't matter because no matter what, they are still my parents and did what they did to better my life.

Looking back now though, I don't see any need to do that because... That one don pass. I don't keep record of wrongs and I want it to stay that way.

1 Like

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by jellybabee(f): 2:41pm On Nov 20, 2020
techmo:
smiley

. I can relate with you ooo... It seems you are trying to describe my Mum's attitude towards people... But t affects me more cos am an introvert , that never gives her reply whenever she z busy shouting n disgracing me....Recently,she comes to my home shouting n reigning abusive words at me....then I opened up to her n told her I don't lyk wat she z doing... D reply she gave me was that she will beat d hell out of me n I told her to go ahead n do that. The funny thing z she z very aggressive with words n i av been trying to cope with that right from childhood days but now am an adult for goodness sake ...but I don't know wat to do since am an extreme introvert... She makes me cry daily whenever I think of her....T z cos of her I do wish n hope I can make friends just to av someone I can relate with apart from my husband.

2 Likes

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by tobechi74: 7:03pm On Nov 20, 2020
So it’s actually shocking and funny when people act like you commit heresy by saying African parents are toxic and/or abusive. This is not me pointing an accusing finger at your family (although if you feel attacked, check your family) and it is by no means a generalization. I think it’s interesting how people I’ve interacted with that have abusive parents never agree that their parents are abusive but are sometimes the same ones that say the minute they move out of their parents’ house, they’re done with their parents.

I believe and always say that the first step to progress is acceptance, you’ve got to accept your reality as it is, no painting and colouring. How do you explain parents cutting their children with broken plates because they broke a plate? Or how do you explain a parent constantly using whips and belt heads to flog their children? Or you think that’s too extreme? What about the parents whose teaching/correction/love language is cane? Or slaps? Are you raising goats?

And then beyond the physical abuse that abounds and is now the norm in our homes, let’s talk about the verbal abuse. When people recount what their parents tell them sometimes, I’m honestly in shock. The last one I heard, I had to say she wasn’t the man’s child, because I can’t imagine a parent say these horrible words to their children. But apparently, it is a thing! Like Sefi Atta said in Everything Good Will Come, by the time these kids are grown, they’d have beat out every creativity in the child and shouted out every initiative from the child.

Somehow though, we’ve grown to see these things as “normal” and even pride in them to the point of anticipating giving your child such dreadful childhood, and I think this is what I’m most concerned about. The argument is constantly that “we turned out fine because of this training”, nahh boo! Permit me to shock you, you didn’t! You turned out fine, in spite. In fact, how do you know you’re fine even? Because you’re wearing top and trouser? A lot of us have vary levels of psychological and emotional issues as a result of “this training”.

I feel like we need to get to the point where we realize and admit our parents are not perfect and so are bound to make mistakes. They probably did their best based on the amount of exposure and understanding they had but we can definitely do better. Being toxic is not and should not be a sign of “Africanness” – this is a narrative that needs to be changed tbh (one day we’d talk about the shitty narratives we were handed, one day but not today).

Aswana

https://tobechispeaks./2020/11/20/most-african-parents-are-toxic/

2 Likes

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by tobechi74: 4:22pm On Nov 22, 2020
jellybabee:
. I can relate with you ooo... It seems you are trying to describe my Mum's attitude towards people... But t affects me more cos am an introvert , that never gives her reply whenever she z busy shouting n disgracing me....Recently,she comes to my home shouting n reigning abusive words at me....then I opened up to her n told her I don't lyk wat she z doing... D reply she gave me was that she will beat d hell out of me n I told her to go ahead n do that. The funny thing z she z very aggressive with words n i av been trying to cope with that right from childhood days but now am an adult for goodness sake ...but I don't know wat to do since am an extreme introvert... She makes me cry daily whenever I think of her....T z cos of her I do wish n hope I can make friends just to av someone I can relate with apart from my husband.
Since she is violent, Non physical confrontation is ideal. I suggest you write a letter to her. The good thing about letter is that she will not interrupt you. writing gives you opportunity to organize your words .you may write,edit and correct them over a long time. Your letter should include

1) what she has done to you: e g when I was young ,you called me this cruel word..

2) how you felt about it ,e g I felt worthless. Like I would never amount to anything in life

3) how it affected your life e g . I never volunteered for any activity among my peers. It made me shy I was denied promotion twice because of this

4) what you want from her : e g I need you to acknowledge the harm you caused me. I need you to stop insulting me publicly as that reignite previous wounds. I want to re-establish a cordial relationship with you but I need to do that without fear of you hurting me.

You get the drift. Let her understand you are trying to establish a stained relationship. You still love her regardless of what she has done in the past and you have forgiven her but you need this before you may communicate freely with her.
Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by jellybabee(f): 4:28pm On Nov 22, 2020
tobechi74:

Since she is violent, Non physical confrontation is ideal. I suggest you write a letter to her. The good thing about letter is that she will not interrupt you. writing gives you opportunity to organize your words .you may write,edit and correct them over a long time. Your letter should include

1) what she has done to you: e g when I was young ,you called me this cruel word..

2) how you felt about it ,e g I felt worthless. Like I would never amount to anything in life

3) how it affected your life e g . I never volunteered for any activity among my peers. It made me shy I was denied promotion twice because of this

4) what you want from her : e g I need you to acknowledge the harm you caused me. I need you to stop insulting me publicly as that reignite previous wounds. I want to re-establish a cordial relationship with you but I need to do that without fear of you hurting me.

You get the drift. Let her understand you are trying to establish a stained relationship. You still love her regardless of what she has done in the past and you have forgiven her but you need this before you may communicate freely with her.
hmmm...thanks for the advice/idea . I think I will try it n see what happens next
Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by tobechi74: 4:34pm On Nov 22, 2020
ABOVEDELAW:
YOU SHOULD COMPARE WHAT THEY WENT THROUGH IN YOUR UPBRINGING AND THE SO CALLED HURT AND BALANCE THE EQUATION.

Imagine your partner cheats on you and tells you to compare all she has been through in life and what she has done for you in life. Does that justify her actions.
Or you tell God you have paid tithe all your life so you deserve heaven despite the fact that you steal . Does that balance the equation?

True, your parents may pass through a worse childhood. They might have had a hard time raising you. They might have hurt you in the process. It is not intentional but sit should be acknowledged they should understand that their action did hurt you. The wonderful things they did to you can not make up for their negative ones. Acknowledge both.

3 Likes

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by Ryan03(f): 8:47pm On Nov 22, 2020
apasino01:
Confront Wetin ?

I no hear Word!
lol, bad type
Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by Ryan03(f): 8:51pm On Nov 22, 2020
Yes I did confront my mum. We lost the last child of the house to sickle cell and my mum kept crying for days, she wouldn't even eat. I told her if I were the one that died, she wouldn't have cried that way, in fact, she would have been happy I was no more because of the way she treated me. I always felt so different growing up among my siblings. I only ended up making her cry more, she apologized and tried to explain to me. I pretended to understand though I didn't but I felt better knowing that she didn't hate me.
10years after that incident now, I have come to realize that she never hated me, I was just passing through the stress and problems of puberty. Parents are really trying, everyday I wake up with the fear of disappointing my son, I work hard just for him. Don't know what I will do if he thinks the same way of me as I thought of my mum

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by Nobody: 2:08am On Nov 23, 2020
Confronting parents if they led you astray may be good, but confronting parents because of how they hurt you, perhaps to discipline or hurtfully enthrone you on the part of greatness is foolishness.

Many people mistaken discipline during upbringing as wicked on the part of parents.

1 Like

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by tobechi74: 2:37am On Nov 28, 2020
Fussion1000:
Confronting parents if they led you astray may be good, but confronting parents because of how they hurt you, perhaps to discipline or hurtfully enthrone you on the part of greatness is foolishness.

Many people mistaken discipline during upbringing as wicked on the part of parents.

True
Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by Nobody: 12:02pm On Nov 28, 2020
None that I know of. My parents were very loving and caring. That's not say there were not times they reproved or diciplined us but nothing so strong as to warrant confrontations.

I really can't relate.
Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by mariahAngel(f): 2:39pm On Nov 28, 2020
Ryan03:
Yes I did confront my mum. We lost the last child of the house to sickle cell and my mum kept crying for days, she wouldn't even eat. I told her if I were the one that died, she wouldn't have cried that way, in fact, she would have been happy I was no more because of the way she treated me. I always felt so different growing up among my siblings. I only ended up making her cry more, she apologized and tried to explain to me. I pretended to understand though I didn't but I felt better knowing that she didn't hate me.
10years after that incident now, I have come to realize that she never hated me, I was just passing through the stress and problems of puberty. Parents are really trying, everyday I wake up with the fear of disappointing my son, I work hard just for him. Don't know what I will do if he thinks the same way of me as I thought of my mum

sad
Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by Baueress: 7:54am On Nov 29, 2020
The man na theif.
E dey chop my skul fees money then.
Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by Nobody: 8:28am On Nov 29, 2020
My mom refused to buy a particular shoe for me when we went shopping, my tears didn't convince her that I love the shoe so much, my dad took me there to get the shoe because i wouldn't stop crying but unfortunately someone else already bought the shoe, my dad wasn't happy with my mum too, I refused every other shoe brought before me, I still make reference to it till today. I love my dad more than my mom
Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by Mariangeles(f): 8:42am On Nov 29, 2020
Zzor:
My mom refused to buy a particular shoe for me when we went shopping, my tears didn't convince her that I love the shoe so much, my dad took me there to get the shoe because i wouldn't stop crying but unfortunately someone else already bought the shoe, my dad wasn't happy with my mum too, I refused every other shoe brought before me, I still make reference to it till today. I love my dad more than my mom

You better forgive your mum and move on grin

Naughty child!

2 Likes

Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by Nobody: 11:06am On Nov 29, 2020
Mariangeles:

You better forgive your mum and move on grin
Naughty child!
lol, the thing has refused to leave my memory
Re: One childhood hurt your parent inflicted on you that you will never forget. by luwiizy(m): 7:23am On Dec 01, 2020
giving too much power to people who meant nothing to me to punish me...lol right now when they see they put down their faces you know why.. all they had was bitterness no love.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairalander End Of The Year Party / I’m Depressed And Tired Of Life / My Wife Want To Send A Lawyer For Agreement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.