Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? (15305 Views)

When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. / Stickers On Car, How Many Is Too Much / Bumper stickers on Nigerian roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by MsPotato(f): 5:31pm On Mar 18, 2011
The fabric s a Graphic Vinyl Sticker. Is it safe to stick those on the body of the car? Like will it ruin the car's body?

I really need to know before I purchased one and make my car look preety and cute kiss

You can view the stickers here:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-SIDE-BODY-GRAPHICS-VINYL-DECAL-STICKERS-FLOWER-82-/270581036183?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3effe2f497

Do advise me of the good and the bad sides to it. Thank you
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Mar 18, 2011
^^^ Personally, I don't like stickers on any car, so will advise against it.
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by Wylout: 9:52pm On Mar 18, 2011
They really look nice if properly installed is all i can say and i'm yet to find a flaw in them.
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by MsPotato(f): 1:34am On Mar 19, 2011
Siena:

^^^ Personally, I don't like stickers on any car, so will advise against it.

Siena, but what if the stickers are those of the nice preety flowers which will make your car look so cute and preety? sad

Wylout:

They really look nice if properly installed is all i can say and i'm yet to find a flaw in them.

Hmmmm. . . Im scared to be the guinea pig in this cause I dont wanna make my car look like shit in the next 5 years embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by Operation(m): 3:01am On Mar 19, 2011
cute stickers, personally not my thing, but with patience and a bit of practice they can be applied well. Just a bit of a mission sorting out all of those air bubbles you get when your putting them on.

The only problem you might get is because of the sun, especially if its an older car where the paint is starting to fade, Putting the stickers on will protect the paint that they are stuck over, whilst the rest is free to fade, so come a couple of years when the vinyl is starting to look tatty and faded itself, upon removal you will notice that the paint underneath is a slightly different shade to the rest of the car. rather annoying.

The again, its up to you. People have different tastes, which I appreciate. The only thing I don't like is when things are not done correctly. Get the stickers installed properly and it will look half decent at the very least.
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by MsPotato(f): 6:51am On Mar 19, 2011
Operation:

cute stickers,  personally not my thing, but with patience and a bit of practice they can be applied well. Just a bit of a mission sorting out all of those air bubbles you get when your putting them on.

The only problem you might get is because of the sun, especially if its an older car where the paint is starting to fade,  Putting the stickers on will protect the paint that they are stuck over, whilst the rest is free to fade, so come a couple of years when the vinyl is starting to look tatty and faded itself, upon removal you will notice that the paint underneath is a slightly different shade to the rest of the car. rather annoying.

The again, its up to you. People have different tastes, which I appreciate. The only thing I don't like is when things are not done correctly. Get the stickers installed properly and it will look half decent at the very least.

Hmmm. U have a point there.

U see Im a girly girl and I like everything to look very cute and preety and nice and smell good. . . Thats one of my weal spot. Even my room looks like that and so is the internal part of my car. You can view the picture below

Just that I suddenly just love the outer part of the car to match the internal part of the car.

Ok, I havent taken the latest picture of my car. its even cuter than this one.

Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by Operation(m): 7:27am On Mar 19, 2011
It shouldn't be so bad on black, Just don't go for the cheapest stickers, because they might not last as long. If its something you really want to do then go for it. Are you in Nigeria? don't recognise the number plate. Large stickers will also attract attention, which is probably best avoided.
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by sultaan(m): 8:23am On Mar 19, 2011
Juvenile embarassed

That all you'll present to all.
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by MsYam(f): 10:07am On Mar 19, 2011
Operation:

It shouldn't be so bad on black, Just don't go for the cheapest stickers, because they might not last as long. If its something you really want to do then go for it. Are you in Nigeria? don't recognise the number plate. Large stickers will also attract attention, which is probably best avoided.

The stickers those on the website I have attached above. Do u think those kinda stickers are safe It cost like 50 USD per set. No Im from Malaysia. The License plate is a Malaysian License Plate

sultaan:

Juvenile embarassed

What do you mean?
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Mar 19, 2011
Ms. Yam:

What do you mean?

I think Mr Sultaan means, you'll make a nice car look a joke, and the owner / driver will be treated as such. I'm all for making a car look good, but not at the expense of detracting from the overall appeal. A car looks clean when it's uncluttered. A bit of "less is more".

Still, it's your call, no doubt you started this thread to get different views, which is what you've gotten. There are no right or wrong ways to style a car, the most important thing is you do what pleases you, and not others; you'll be the one behind the wheel, not us.
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by sultaan(m): 3:27pm On Mar 19, 2011
Sometimes you don't want to drive down the street with a big "daddy bought this" sticker all over your car.
You want to give the impression being responsible enough to drive such a beauty.

A pink interior and flowery decals is nice if you're in high school.If not, anything more than stripe, sport team, or a baad kitty
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by desthan(m): 4:16pm On Mar 19, 2011
@Ms Potato,

Nice ride you've got there. What brand of toyota is that and how much did you get it for?

@topic

stickers not my thingy. . . but my boo loves it so much, she has the damn thing all over her car making it look like a campaign ride cry
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by lastpage: 5:21pm On Mar 19, 2011
Juvenile  Embarrassed

Hmmm!!

Why on earth are you even asking this question when it is obvious (from your room and car interior) that YOU ARE WHAT YOU ARE?

Or are you just trying to "show us" something? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Not a bad idea in itself sha grin grin grin

BTW: When did "Bumper Stickers" become "Air Bags"?,.,.,.,. talking about "Car Safety"?
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by MsYam(f): 5:53pm On Mar 19, 2011
Siena:

I think Mr Sultaan means, you'll make a nice car look a joke, and the owner / driver will be treated as such. I'm all for making a car look good, but not at the expense of detracting from the overall appeal. A car looks clean when it's uncluttered. A bit of "less is more".

Still, it's your call, no doubt you started this thread to get different views, which is what you've gotten. There are no right or wrong ways to style a car, the most important thing is you do what pleases you, and not others; you'll be the one behind the wheel, not us.

sultaan:

Sometimes you don't want to drive down the street with a big "daddy bought this" sticker all over your car.
You want to give the impression being  responsible enough to drive such a beauty.

A pink interior and flowery decals is nice if you're in high school.If not, anything more than stripe, sport team, or a baad kitty

First of all, have you both seen the website? If you havent, that explains why you both are commenting as such. Sticking stickers on cars can be a tacky thing I agree with you but if you see how some people really stick their stickers in the right spots (examples are like in the website), it will completely change your perception towards car stickers.

Im not worried about the tackiness of the car and how or what people would think of me (after all, I am the one that change the interior of the car as well) after the sticker is being sticked cause believe me, it wont be. Im more concern about the body of the car itself. Like will it damage the car and stuff like that.

Sultaan, are u trying to say that the colour Pink is only meant for teenagers and not a lady? So ladies are only meant to have black, brown and grey colour abi? undecided

desthan:

@Ms Potato,

Nice ride you've got there. What brand of toyota is that and how much did you get it for?

@topic

stickers not my thingy. . . but my boo loves it so much, she has the damn thing all over her car making it look like a campaign ride cry

This is a Toyota Rush Model. I think the price is about RM75,000.00 which is like USD24,000.00.
Originally I intend to keep the car as its original form including the interior design of it but when the car arrived, I was shocked to see the seats are all cream in colour but when I see the sample model, its all black so I wanted to cover it with leather seat incase if that original cloth material would get dirty but when I went to the shop, the shop owner told me she could do black and pink and Im like Hell yeah! WHy not? And that when it all started.

I am skeptical of sticker as I dont know what will be the bad thing about it thats why I am asking here. Incase if any of you have done it before, So can u ask your gf whats the down pour of having stickers on the car?

lastpage:

Hmmm!!

Why on earth are you even asking this question when it is obvious (from your room and car interior) that YOU ARE WHAT YOU ARE?

Or are you just trying to "show us" something? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Not a bad idea in itself sha grin grin grin

BTW: When did "Bumper Stickers" become "Air Bags"?,.,.,.,. talking about "Car Safety"?

Are u questioning me or who? Im confuse
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by gestapo(f): 8:48pm On Mar 19, 2011
1)Knew it was only a matter of time till she accidentally posts the picture (check)

2) Though I doubted someone would be that crass, not surprised though that her narcissistic self would post the price too (check)

3) Now counting down till her fat fingers can't stop itching her and she tells us how it is her Malaysian based Nigerian boyfriend Tony who shares accommodation with 6 others who bought her the car (waiting to tick check)

4) Also waiting as well for her to tell us how it is the precious salary she gets paid from the 14 members 3 viewing forum where she moderates that she is going to use to purchase the stickers.(My itchy finger too can't wait to tick check too)    cool
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by sultaan(m): 9:06pm On Mar 19, 2011
A sticker wil be fine, after some time on your car the shade will be different when you take off the decal.
A claybar and wax should help fix it.

Try something like this

Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Mar 19, 2011
Ms. Yam, please do as you please, and don't be offended when people tell things as they see them. I feel you opened a can of worms, when you started this thread, and posted pictures.

I like modifying cars as much as anyone, but I balk at stickers. They just don't do anything for me. I didn't look at the website, to see how the stickers were applied, there was no need to. I've been in the car customising game for a very, very long time, and have seen and done it all, both to mine and client's cars. To a certain degree, a car says a lot about the driver / owner - I know you say you don't really care, but I disagree. You care enough for your car to make a statement, hence the need to personalise the interior and exterior to your taste. Everyone cares about how others perceive them, else we wouldn't be fussy about what we wore, drove, whom we hung out and where we lived.

And if your concern is regarding the long-term effect of stickers on your paintwork, then I wouldn't get any. A claybar will restore / blend the paintwork, after the stickers have been removed, lets say after 6 months. However, it won't rectify faded paintwork. Your car's black, probably metallic (I can't see much in the image) so may not suffer from fade. However, a black car is less forgiving, when it comes to hiding blemishes.

Another issue could be damage to the clear lacquer, once it begins to peel, the only way so get the shine back will be a complete respray. You can't re-lacquer paint that has already hardened.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by nanidee(f): 9:30pm On Mar 19, 2011
@ Ms. Potato, sorry Ms. Yam,

You got a cute room. wink Something tells me you are the overtly girly type  ([size=5pt]but you get liver sha posting your bedroom in a public forum)[/size]

Hmm, car stickers, dont really like them, they kinda draw a ftunny kind of attention, no matter how cute they may look.  undecided

I think the car is cute that way, and o, the interior,  kiss
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by apeman3(m): 9:46pm On Mar 19, 2011
Cool ride you have and I would advise to put any stickers on it it can ruin the paint jobthat you would have to get it repainted to your wheels that you drive . grin

Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by nanidee(f): 9:56pm On Mar 19, 2011
^^ why the pic?  :-/
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by cold(m): 10:02pm On Mar 19, 2011
gestapo:

1)Knew it was only a matter of time till she accidentally posts the picture (check)

2) Though I doubted someone would be that crass, not surprised though that her narcissistic self would post the price too (check)

3) Now counting down till her fat fingers can't stop itching her and she tells us how it is her Malaysian based Nigerian boyfriend Tony who shares accommodation with 6 others who bought her the car (waiting to tick check)

4) Also waiting as well for her to tell us how it is the precious salary she gets paid from the 14 members 3 viewing forum where she moderates that she is going to use to purchase the stickers.(My itchy finger too can't wait to tick check too)    cool  

grin grin
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by DOnlooker(m): 3:05am On Mar 20, 2011
Hmmm, wondering if Lord-Reed shares that pinky bedroom with u, thats way too much for a Lord abeg.
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by MsYam(f): 4:25am On Mar 20, 2011
sultaan:

A sticker wil be fine, after some time on your car the shade will be different when you take off the decal.
A claybar and wax should help fix it.

Try something like this

Thanks. I will think about it.
Siena:

Ms. Yam, please do as you please, and don't be offended when people tell things as they see them. I feel you opened a can of worms, when you started this thread, and posted pictures.

I like modifying cars as much as anyone, but I balk at stickers. They just don't do anything for me. I didn't look at the website, to see how the stickers were applied, there was no need to. I've been in the car customising game for a very, very long time, and have seen and done it all, both to mine and client's cars. To a certain degree, a car says a lot about the driver / owner - I know you say you don't really care, but I disagree. You care enough for your car to make a statement, hence the need to personalise the interior and exterior to your taste. Everyone cares about how others perceive them, else we wouldn't be fussy about what we wore, drove, whom we hung out and where we lived.

And if your concern is regarding the long-term effect of stickers on your paintwork, then I wouldn't get any. A claybar will restore / blend the paintwork, after the stickers have been removed, lets say after 6 months. However, it won't rectify faded paintwork. Your car's black, probably metallic (I can't see much in the image) so may not suffer from fade. However, a black car is less forgiving, when it comes to hiding blemishes.

Another issue could be damage to the clear lacquer, once it begins to peel, the only way so get the shine back will be a complete respray. You can't re-lacquer paint that has already hardened.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Noted and thanks
nanidee:

@ Ms. Potato, sorry Ms. Yam,

You got a cute room. wink Something tells me you are the overtly girly type  ([size=5pt]but you get liver sha posting your bedroom in a public forum)[/size]

Hmm, car stickers, dont really like them, they kinda draw a ftunny kind of attention, no matter how cute they may look.  undecided

I think the car is cute that way, and o, the interior,  kiss

Well, I have posted my bedroom picture, my car picture, the car price and how I even decorated my room on here Nairaland many times. I seriously dont see anything wrong with it. Alot of people posts their pictures here and some even have posted picture of them with their entire family as well. I even posted how I got my car very very early I think it was like last year. Never knew for some people it could be a big issue to them., undecided

I originally think that car stickers are tacky but when I saw that particular website, I honestly think its sooo cute. This morning I ask my brother and my brother told me that if Im worried I should take the design I want and tell the person to spray it according to that design. Now Im thinking about it again.

D-Onlooker:

Hmmm, wondering if Lord-Reed shares that pinky bedroom with u, thats way too much for a Lord abeg.
What does Lord Reed have to do with this topic? undecided
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by Nobody: 8:39am On Mar 20, 2011
^^^ Spraying on a design will be even worse - you'll have "raised edges" compared to the surrounding paintwork, and it'll be virtually impossible to prepare just the area to be painted. I think your brother means "air brushing" too. If you decide to revert back to normal, you'll have to respray the entire panels concerned.

As per Lord Reed, I believe the flippant comment stems from your signature. . .
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by MsYam(f): 2:44pm On Mar 20, 2011
Siena:

^^^ Spraying on a design will be even worse - you'll have "raised edges" compared to the surrounding paintwork, and it'll be virtually impossible to prepare just the area to be painted. I think your brother means "air brushing" too. If you decide to revert back to normal, you'll have to respray the entire panels concerned.

As per Lord Reed, I believe the flippant comment stems from your signature. . .

Yes,. he told me that the whole body neds to be done if I were to do a certain design on the body of the car. Yes, it involves air brushing. He said why dont I just change the rims of the car instead of sticking some sticker and just by doing it, its like downgrading the value of the car. I told him I will think about it.

This is funny. I cannot believe people take NL so seriously. undecided
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by sultaan(m): 3:02pm On Mar 20, 2011
I think the surprise is people taking you serious

Not everybody like those who seem to rub what they have in everyone's face.
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by danakuba(m): 4:25pm On Mar 20, 2011
I wonder where people get their info from.

Car stickers are  brilliant they don't do any damage to the body work of the car.Vinyl vehicle wraps are removable

The are transparent sticker that  protects your car body paint from UV rays so the colour of your car will always remain thesame. They protect your car from stone chips and scratches.

Check for car body wrap. on google. you will learn more not from NL

@ Ms Potato. I will offer you a free 4M side or Viper stripe , just pay for the postage. www.ojsigns.com
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Mar 20, 2011
danakuba:

I wonder where people get their info from.

Car stickers are  brilliant they don't do any damage to the body work of the car.Vinyl vehicle wraps are removable

There transparent sticker that  protects your car body paint from UV rays so the colour of your car will always remain thesame. They protect your car from stone chips and scratches.

Check for car body wrap. on google. you will learn more not from NL

@ Ms Potato. I will offer you a free 4M side or Viper stripe , just pay for the postage. www.ojsigns.com

You have a vested interest in stickers, hence your comment, feeling those against stickers here are morons.

Information from Google is posted by humans too, no different from humans on Nairaland. And just for reference, my info is based on first-hand experience in the Custom Car trade, not trawling the 'net.

I've been in the customising game for many years, both cosmetic and performance (engine, transmission and suspension upgrades) so believe me, I know what I'm on about. There are firms here that do full auto vinyl wraps, and they'll be the first to point you to their disclaimers. There are no guarantees your paintwork will remain in good shape if the wraps are later removed.

The adhesive on the vinyl only needs to catch a micro blister in the paintwork, which will remove the paint in strips. We're not talking transparent vinyl here, but solid colours. The paint underneath the decals will be a different finish, to the exposed sections. On a car that was painted in cellulose paint (no lacquer) it will also be faded in exposed areas, especially red, light blue etc. I have painted entire cars, due to flawed paintwork after vinyl removal, flaws which even a long session with G3 couldn't shift.

Malaysia is a hot country, and the heat from direct sunlight will certainly work havoc on a car partially obscured in vinyl stickers.
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by Operation(m): 8:51pm On Mar 20, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that's what's up!
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by wise(m): 10:58am On Mar 21, 2011
Operation:

cute stickers, personally not my thing, but with patience and a bit of practice they can be applied well. Just a bit of a mission sorting out all of those air bubbles you get when your putting them on.

The only problem you might get is because of the sun, especially if its an older car where the paint is starting to fade, Putting the stickers on will protect the paint that they are stuck over, whilst the rest is free to fade, so come a couple of years when the vinyl is starting to look tatty and faded itself, upon removal you will notice that the paint underneath is a slightly different shade to the rest of the car. rather annoying.

U are correct and i like those pictures.
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by MsPotato(f): 4:00pm On Mar 23, 2011
Wow! Thanks guys. I am really learning sumthin from this and thank God I didnt make a fast decision. Thank God I came in here to seek for valuable advises.

How about changing the rim tyres? Will it affect anything?
Re: Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Mar 25, 2011
Ms. Potato:

How about changing the rim tyres? Will it affect anything?

Changing the wheels and tyres to aftermarket items won't affect anything. You're governed by cost, and the physical size. As long as they fit within the wheel arches, without rubbing, you're good to go.

(1) (Reply)

This Rolls-royce Phantom Has A Twin-charged 2JZ / This Honda's Sports EV Concept Is An Old-School Electric S2000 Sports Car / How To Check Odometer Fraud And How It Works In A Vechicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.