Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,081 members, 7,818,236 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) (1026 Views)

A Playlet Titled The Visitation / A Church Playlet Titled Awaiting Room / The Rise And Rise Of Award Winning Writer, Esther Itohan Obasuyi (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 11:55am On Nov 19, 2020
⚛OPENING STAGE ⚛

The stage opens and white light illuminates it, as music plays in the background. A woman clad in a red blouse, with an old wrapper tied around her waist walks slowly towards the front; a sad expression seated upon her face as she sits on the mat placed for her by the side. She is Urbi, a middle-aged woman with a tribal mark on her face. She surveys the audience for some minutes and bows her head, lifting her hand in the air.

Narrator: It all began eighteen years ago when a little girl was born (Looks up at the crowd) One who was a blessing to the land, and was mostly admired by all. Only her birth begot hatred in a certain man, who was no one else but her father. This is the story of the beauty goddess - ITOHAN!

☪MOVEMENT ONE ☪

Stage opens as the cry of a woman echoes loudly in the background. Another woman is seen chanting some words at her bedside, while the other who is the midwife shouts from the edge of the bed where her legs stood wide. The cry of a baby is heard and a joyful song is raised, as a man in a royal apparel rushes in.

Midwife: (Looks up at him) Your Highness, it's a girl.

Abagba N'Ojie: A girl?! (Huffs and makes to carry the child) She mustn't live to see another day.

Midwife: But Your Highness...

Abagba N'Ojie: (Cuts in) She is cursed, don't you see? She doesn't deserve to live! (Thunders)

Midwife: (Winces) But she's just a child. Your own flesh and blood. You can't have her killed, not when the Oje has been without a child.

Abagba N'Ojie: I do not care (Grits)

Omolara: (Enters and looks at the child) May the gods be praised. She has being delivered.

Abagba N'Ojie: Guards! Guards!!

Omolara: Brother, what are you...?

King Abagba: (Cuts in) I must not let her live. She is a bad omen! A curse on our land! (Looks at the child)

Omolara: You want to kill her? (Stammers) To kill an innocent child that has done nothing? (Stands akimbo)

Abagba N'Ojie: I do not want your opinion here, sister. Guards!!

Guard 1: Your highness (kneels before him).

Abagba N'Ojie: (Orders) Ready my men! Ready the horses! Send words to the Great Osaka. This child must not live!!!

~Curtain~

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 11:59am On Nov 19, 2020
❇MOVEMENT TWO ❇

The stage opens in a hut by the river side. A young woman is seen weeding her garden as the sound of an infant came ringing in her ears. Turning around, she sights a basket at a distance floating atop the water, and heads towards it, watching as it pulled up on the bank.

Woman: (Stares eagerly) What's this? (Picks it up and opens it) A child? Oh, the gods have finally had mercy on me and wiped away with my tears (Sheds tears of joy and carries the child in her arms. She held her to her bosom and kissed her lightly on the cheek). Oh, my beautiful Itohan. Yes! I shall call you Itohan - mercy!

INTERMISSION

The stage opens once again as light falls on the narrator. She bows her head like she had previously done and looks at the audience. Wearing a beaming smile, she looks from left to right, and back at her audience again, signaling to them to keep mute.

Narrator: (Clears throat) My people. Now you see how the world turns around. The world is a really mysterious place they say... really mysterious. (Chuckles softly) I know you're confused on how the beautiful Itohan landed in the hands of another woman, but don't worry, I won't let you wonder more. (Nods with enthusiasm) When the Ojie of Ukogho ordered for his newborn to be killed, his sister, Omolara set out to make certain no harm came to the child. She was thrown and left to die in the evil forest where animals of different kinds roamed the wild. Unknowingly to the wicked Ojie Omolara found her, and, with the basket she held, placed her in and sent her floating down the river, until a woman (by name Emomwoyi) found her and nurtured her as her own. (Shakes head) OH! Oh, Emomwoyi. Emomwoyi, may the gods continue to bless you. May you never lack and live to your hearts content. (Prays amidst tears) The beautiful Itohan blossomed into a fine young woman. She was greatly endowed, and was surrounded by all who loved her so. She was taught the proper etiquette by her mother, whose joy knew no bounds, and was highly known by all. She could see far beyond any human could, and so was the eyes of the Ipobo people, as they came to her from every corners. Her wisdom was one to be marveled at, and even greater men traveled from their homeland just to behold the legendary beauty whose name was on every lips and has grown beyond the mountains. She was indeed a goddess, and so was called the beauty goddess by her people. Now follow me as I continue my story.

~Exit~

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 1:43pm On Nov 19, 2020
♨MOVEMENT THREE ♨

Stage opens as the Ojie of Ukogho is seated in the council of his elders, as they discuss the present happenings in the community.

Edion òkpá: Your Highness, what shall we call this? The city has being polluted and something needs to be done lest our people perish. (Shivers)

Edion eva: Omwokha is right, Your Highness. Something really really has to be done! (Strikes his palm)

Abagba N'Ojie: (Adjusts and thinks) My elders, something has to be done indeed. Even my son has grown sick from the illness. I'm afraid he won't make it before the next Aho comes.

Edion ea: (Spits) May the gods forbid!

Abagba N'Ojie: May they forbid. Even the great Osaka is yet to say something.

Chief Priest: I am here! (Walks in and chants in a sorrowful tone) The gods are angry. Ah! (Pounds his staff on the floor) The land has being cursed, and now the blood of every first born shall flow until the one who has been taken is returned. (Breathes heavily)

Abagba N'Ojie: (Confused) The one who has been taken? What do you mean, great one?

Chief Priest: I have nothing else to say. (Chants and walks away)

Edion òkpá: Your Highness, how shall we know who the great one speaks of? (Eager)

Abagba N'Ojie: (Feels irritated by the murmurs) Silence! The council is dismissed. (Gets up as the lights grow thin and darkness emerge)

~Curtain~

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 1:44pm On Nov 19, 2020
✴MOVEMENT FOUR ✴

Stage opens revealing Emomwoyi and her daughter seated on a mat, as she combs her hair.

Emomwoyi: You look beautiful, my child. (Smiles admirably)

Itohan: (Laughs and looks at her) Thank you, Inenen. You know I take after you a lot.

Emomwoyi: Oh, my beautiful princess; the one that makes me smile. You bring joy to me, my dear. May the gods bless the day you came into my life. (Stops combing and holds her firmly)

Itohan: (Calls sweetly) Inenen. Inenen, do you have to flatter me all the time? (Blush and turns to face her) You know I love you very much and there's nothing in this world that'll stop me from loving you.

Emomwoyi: (Sheds tears) Oh, my child. Promise that whatever happens, we will always be together.

Itohan: I promise, mother. You don't need to cry.

Emomwoyi: (Looks down at her and bites her lower lip) There's something I need to tell you, my child. Something that went on eighteen years ago. (Sobs bitterly)

Itohan: (Confused) Eighteen years ago?

Emomwoyi: (Nods) Yes. I'm so sorry I kept it from you, my child. I'm really sorry.

Itohan: (Archs a brow) I'm confused. Did you do something, mother?

Emomwoyi: No... No, my child.

Itohan: (Holds her tight) Then what is it, Inenen? What is bothering you?

Emomwoyi: (Swallows and throws her head away) Oh, why does it have to be today? I can't bear to lose my beautiful Itohan. I can't bear it.

Itohan: (Laughs and wraps her arms around her waist) Stop, mother. You're not going to lose me.

Emomwoyi: (Wipes her face with the extended part of her wrapper) I know, my dear. But you know, I just... I just can't bear the thought of doing so, but I vowed I wouldn't keep this secret from you once you turned eighteen.

Itohan: (Baffled) Secret? Mother, is there something you're not telling me?

Emomwoyi: I'm so sorry, my child, but the time has come to reveal the truth to you. (Sobs harder and pulls her in her arms. She narrates everything to her and Itohan listens with mouth agape)

Itohan: Mother... Mother, please tell me this isn't true. (Almost in tears) Tell me that I am your daughter, your Itohan. Tell me I am the only one you'll love and no one else.

Emomwoyi: Of course, my child. You'll always be my daughter. I don't care if we're not of the same blood. I don't care at all. Just know that our love is stronger than anything in this world.

Itohan: (Softens) Oh, mother. OH! But if I'm not your daughter, Inenen, then who is? Who am I? (Stammers)

Emomwoyi: That's what I can't say, my child, but I do know you came from across the river, and the only people that dwells there are the Ukogho people.

Itohan: The Ukogho people?

Emomwoyi: (Sighs as a sad expression coated her face) Yes

Itohan: (Notice her expression) Inenen, are you okay?

Emomwoyi: (Swallows) Yes. Yes, my child.

Itohan: (Thinks) If you'd let me, mother, can I go across the river?

Emomwoyi: (Breathes) You want to leave me?

Itohan: No, mother. You know I won't leave your side.

Emomwoyi: (Smiles and cuddles her) I know that, my child. I'll let you for sure.

Itohan: And I'd love you to come with me.

Emomwoyi: (Turns pale) Will that make you happy?

Itohan: (Smiles) Yes, Inenen. I'll go as long as you're with me.

~Lights fade out~

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 1:48pm On Nov 19, 2020
Do we have playwrights in the house? And also critics? Please I need your opinion on this piece. It's been really long since I last wrote a play, and so I want to know if I'm getting it right and not the other way. For the Esans, if we have them here though, don't vex if I get the spellings of your names badly, I'm still learning. For those who are not, don't worry, cause I've got some key words I'll be posting at the end of the story. Make sure you follow closely so you won't miss anything, okay? Love you (。♥‿♥。).

~Jessy

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 19, 2020
youngdee168johnokeyYukovwableohtml14javaSmith9aladeokin1000OmogoddybizzibodiMayorisraeldukeaugustusRicardo2400DacallerHumbledbYGracesodiq961Iamlight01Nova15kellartemmy3gpvidsofficialteemiUjSizzleBriareosprof800ObinnauDontBullshitMeBestie93LarrySunAyoomodaddywebmeWritertainPubdevlishGINGERFhunkhy1Divepen1credidASBEETeco2TiffanyJfreesinzupoetictwentyhouseofwagsLauryn41Explorersdominiquespidey77mariahAngelAiyamrexTadeknkeepcalm
Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 3:40pm On Nov 19, 2020
MOVEMENT FIVE

Lights illuminate the stage as Itohan and her mother are seen embarking on their journey to Ukogho land. They get to a certain place as a woman in white appears from nowhere.

Woman: Do not be afraid, daughters of the gods.

Emomwoyi: (Holds her daughter's hand) Who are you?

Woman: (Smiles) You do not need to know.

Itohan: (Moves closer) You're that woman...

Emomwoyi: Itohan, come back.

Itohan: It's okay, mother (Turns to the strange lady) What do you seek?

Woman: I have come for you. The time has come to free your people from the curse your father has brought upon them. Your brother lies almost without breath, and the people have no one to save them. Only you can, so you must hurry. Hurry!! (Thunders and disappears)

Itohan: (Scared) Mother, my people are in grave danger. What do I do?

Emomwoyi: Mm, my daughter. I know you have all it takes inside of you. I raised you to be strong, to be courageous and never to be shaken. I trust you can do it.

Itohan: (Nods and smiles) Thank you, Inenen.

~Curtain~

Okay, let's use this lady as the woman that appeared to Itohan. My imagination though.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 19, 2020
So... because I wanna start completing some stories, I'm gonna post everything. Please bear with me. The piece is not too long, so I'm pretty sure you can finish it.

☸MOVEMENT SIX ☸

Stage opens on the Ojie's hut. A boy of about ten laid weakly on the floor, as a woman held on to his arms, crying bitterly. His condition seems to be getting worse by the minute, and the chief priest had declared there was no time left on their side. A young maiden walks in surprisingly, with an elderly woman following closely as the queen and the king's sister stare in amazement.

Omolara: Who are you people?

Oje: (Averts her gaze from her son) Yes, who are you people?

Chief priest: (Enters startling everyone) She is here. Our daughter has returned!

Abagba N'Ojie: (Cuts in from behind) Daughter?

Cheif Priest: (Nods and looks at her Itohan) Welcome daughter of the gods (Looks back at the king) Your long lost daughter has finally returned to us.

Abagba N'Ojie: (Aside) It can't be (Memories of eighteen years ago came rushing in and he exited in shame)

Oje: (Shakes) My Lord. My Lord, where are you going? (Looks at her sister-in-law) What is this? Is this some kind of trick?

Omolara: (Bows her head) No, my Queen! The gods don't lie.

Oje: (Stammers) It can't be. My daughter died many years ago. She died many years ago!

Emomwoyi: I found her at Ojumiri river, and ever since then, I have nurtured and cared for her like every mother would.

Omolara: (Makes towards them) Gods of our land! You have proved to me that you do not slumber or sleep (Hugs the beautiful maiden) My daughter, welcome home!

~Curtain~

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 3:47pm On Nov 19, 2020
CLOSING STAGE

The old woman gets up on her feet, staggering a little as a result of the too much sitting, and gives the audience a broad smile.

Narrator: You have seen it all. The rejected stone has become the chief corner stone. Itohan's return brought peace and order back in the land, and the heir to the throne was cured of the deadly affliction. For once, the household of Abagba N'Ojie knew happiness, only the wicked N'Ojie reaped the seed of wickedness he had sown, for he grew terribly ill and died prematurely days later. (Shakes head) Evil pays!

~Curtain~

♔KEY WORDS ♔

Oje >>> Queen

N'Ojie/Ojie >>> King

Inenen >>> Mother

Edion >>> Elder

Òkpá >>> One

Eva >>> Two

Ea >>> Three

Aho >>> Fourth market day in Edo state.

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

ITOHAN - The Beauty Goddess.

ABAGBA N'OJIE - The King of Ukogho Kingdom.

OJE - The Queen of Ukogho Kingdom.

OMOLARA - The King's Sister.

EMOMWOYI -Itohan's Adoptive Mother.

OSAKA - Chief Priest of Ukogho Kingdom.

ELDER 1/ OMWOKHA

ELDER 2

ELDER 3

GUARD 1

URBI
- Narrator.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by AryEmber(f): 4:49pm On Nov 19, 2020
Wow! A play! I'm so following, keep up the good work ma

1 Like

Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 19, 2020
AryEmber:
Wow! A play! I'm so following, keep up the good work ma
Oh, thank you so much, ma'am. Thank you 乂❤‿❤乂.
Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 1:02am On Nov 21, 2020
Okay, guys. Here are the images for our top casts.

•Abagba N'Ojie
•OJe
•Princess Itohan
•Omolara

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 1:03am On Nov 21, 2020
•Emomwoyi
•Urbi

(Whispers) What's my reason for this? Well... I just want to create a vivid description of each characters in your mind. Hope they make it much enjoyable 乂❤‿❤乂.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 8:56pm On Nov 27, 2020
labelle123, charytea, bimberry1307, gucciqueen38,
parismoore, biadefolar, adesina12, giannaaaaaa,
shewrites, ellabae, ghostwriter, centino, pinkfeet,
crislyn

bibie01

olanipekuntomi

seunviju

sebak

onosj

larrysun

danwrites

domawoleye
Thronekid, D9ty7, Tiffanyj, helenbee, teebashy, prettydiva89, fatalveli, harjibolar10, fembleez1, stuff46, Divepen, cybershow, Tattesco, Ali1king, kingphilip, onemansquad, tecno4life, bluestarry, jefferyjamez, slap1, chinweblinkz, supermartin, ishilove, pweetidamsel, jeanfortune, jaymomma, vibra, almacherich, marynneka, trusted, Shadowbean Abimbawealth, emarkson, Hiroshize, jhimmy, UnknownT, laykorn, kenwins, iceberylin, Ollyfad, AnnbabyHot, debonairprinx, rondo235, MzNelly, toykathy, Champele, PBeni, princesa, Thermythorpe, Redmosquito, FoxyRebirth, natasha, Neduzze5, yemi2plus, YellowMosquito, DNA1, bimbiola, faithgokz, sizzlezNBT, Enigurl, Trendytessy, Omololamide, smithe113, misterjosh, MzChistar, J0sh007, carolinew, tbabstobadt, Feyifahm, Mizsammy, Ifyx, MsSpaqs, ochetinz, Tundeajani, bukkynababe, walintize, kinsjesus, conniblakes, iamdsam, Clemzy16, Cutepie1, DazzlinPearl, JIGGERNAPPY, Fellycutie, adeswagsdmj, Arnoldo, Gifteey100, shalomtemmy, johnnobles, chinedumo, temiK9, Oppy16, amitalian, Herbheorlar, barbiesexy, emmanwandud, Teenuolah, BlesinE, Perfercter4real, mzkomsy, rhapzidy, Therock5555, lekkybam, Skykid1208, Blize7, legendprac, Seankay, BarnabasCo, chesm, Smhart1, tosingcfr, king94, yormite, teetee92, Kensco, geogino, simplifier, Affable0709, Chuksyd1, Incredibleme, Daniel2802, oloriireomo, kunlesehan, Tafamonday, Nekkie27, slimfredo, ibuome, dryakson, iyk1, m003, BabieGhagha, hyungwang, mador, Aimedrey, peterphd, 360prince, shaks97, Braidz, tinahrex, RazziP, Fehmy25s, Kingphilip, Eblee, Ritababe, dagift333, moyarhtohbadt, , Meel unique27, MrsGoodness, Lionize, MhizTemmie, AlienStar, Theorbiter, Ionprince, princesssusan, Susrite, Glowstone, bigwig97, Missmossy, ruffhandu, may3 Tomkhalifa52, okeyfineboy, kechywillz, folake25, tescoleps, teamplayey, ethereal, unlimitedbosco, PrinceGozie, Yudeeaikay, pelontus, justicesky24, Psalmwise, mariamferanmi, qloreal, onosj, Rahma26, Kayleb37, Mutaino7, kwencypresh, lawrenzo007, Tobilastik, yettielicious, eunisam, Athanatos, usmanspihn, hassan85, princesa, kiddyking, fam24, moshood1993, handmaid, missterious, kingphilip, kenwins, SexySapphire, Princesschi, Niwdog, Suspect33, Visionaire, Bunsky, laykorn, emitheo, alabig, marioking
vhally fasttrack curvydiva InkPaperVodka cyndy1000
TheBlessedMAN twoclans kimberlyWest ericsmith
rosalieene kaycee9242 MhiztaRange prettyMizQdot
chivera018 uniquechild skubido casler
godwindanielboy donpiiko BdorianGray Rhemy2013
donnaD audina nelem princessmj ayodijex nikz
vickysunmomi lady25 ann2012 mc6xty WAACUT
canme4u victoria2000 mjay05 aharpride1 tgold1
INDUSTRIALFAN stevodot22 FortunateB crystalprince
honourable356 oluwakemi65 stancyfrosh
xaviercasmier Alexk2 Rollins777 Dessydemmy
Divpen1 obyikye FloraEC IamXcessiz eniafelamo
princessyere1 stellamarisII Ibunkun1 Kimoyo Pearl05
Sweety189 Peluhmii queenitee tonexyx joyberry
millenia Chii8 Jane1234 Halyma Silver1996 onetop
funkyjenny marianneada, akinwale14 SapphirePRINCEX
Jameskudooski Cadec007
Horpsyjay, EPublishers, LarrySun, Ayoomodaddy, spidey77, dominique, Lauryn41, Explorers, iLegendd, webme, WritertainPub, Fhunkhy1, Divepen1, devlishGINGER, lalasticlala, poetictwenty, DontBullshitMe, houseofwags, KelvinCoaster, CasNova, Bestie93, Ajerry, Teco2, TiffanyJ, credid, freesinzu, Elvictor, ASBEE
Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 12:08am On Nov 28, 2020
I ran here when I saw the name. Itohan.
smiley I just thought I should drop a comment before reading.

Op, well done. smiley

1 Like

Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 12:14am On Nov 28, 2020
Ciara9251, you did a marvelous job. Short and interesting. Well done.

1 Like

Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by KelvinCoaster(m): 9:17am On Nov 28, 2020
Nice storyline! Ciara9251 Keep it up!

1 Like

Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 10:36am On Nov 28, 2020
KimberlyWest:
Ciara9251, you did a marvelous job. Short and interesting. Well done.

Oh, thank you. Thank you so much, ma'am smiley smiley
Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 10:37am On Nov 28, 2020
KimberlyWest:
I ran here when I saw the name. Itohan.
smiley I just thought I should drop a comment before reading.

Op, well done. smiley

cheesy You did pretty well 乂❤‿❤乂 乂❤‿❤乂

1 Like

Re: ITOHAN: THE BEAUTY GODDESS (A Playlet By Jessica Duru) by Nobody: 4:37am On Nov 29, 2020
Ciara9251:

Oh, thank you. Thank you so much, ma'am smiley smiley

You're welcome.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Get The Complete Works Of Famous Authors / London, Uk: Nigerian Politician Abducted. / Clearing House: Our Playground (the Last King Of Unwashed)-A short narrative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.