Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

Presidential Debate on NN24 - Politics (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Debate on NN24 (32988 Views)

Poll: Presidential Debate: Who Impressed You Most?

GEJ: 10% (57 votes)
Ribadu: 11% (62 votes)
Buhari: 35% (199 votes)
Shekarau: 42% (238 votes)
This poll has ended

NN24, Nigeria's News Channel Folds Up / Prof Wole Soyinka's Comment After Nn24 Presidential Debate <<FALSE>> / Nn24 News Presidential Debate In Abuja - Live Images (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Gbawe: 11:02am On Mar 20, 2011
Genbuhari3:

Gbawe!

I can see your passion for Ribadu,

It is not "passion for Ribadu" but passion for the precise type of leadership Nigeria needs. You said Ribadu is "arrogant" and when I showed you otherwise you changed tactics. Is Ribadu more arrogant or more aggressive than Jerry Rawlings or Patrice Lumumba?

Rawlings will come to Nairaland and insult all our fathers and mother !!!! That is the man !!! Yet , can anyone deny he is the father of Ghana with how , with bravery and resolute effort plus an unflinching belief in his mission, he set Ghana on the path it is on today? Do you guys think we need a shrinking violet as President ? If you do then you don't understand Nigeria and you have no clue of the problems facing us . The "problem" is that we are controlled by hardened criminals and stone-cold killers who will do anything to get their ways . They are in the Senate, they are Ministers, Governors , Local government chairmen et al . If anyone thinks we need a President who cannot be tough , aggressive and be willing to "arrogantly" stand toe-to-toe with unreasonable and callous men then they are deluded about the problems of our nation. A lot of what Ribadu achieved at the EFCC is because of how he is as an individual. How many men in Nigeria can handcuff their boss the way Ribadu did Tafa Balogun?

The "battle" right now , wether most Nigerians know it or not, boils down to gaining the President who is brave enough to confront our enemies . There are thousands of them and , according to wikileak, they are very powerful. if most Nigerians don't take time to understand the problem then we will simply not understand those who have the solution. We will brand them arrogant , aggressive , pompous , etc , etc. Let us bear in mind that we would all be very rich if we had a kobo for the number of times , on this forum , Nairalanders have asked for the "Jerry Rawlings" solution in Nigeria. Who is more arrogant , cocky and downright confrontational than Jerry Rawlings? Can anyone who truly understand the problems of Nigeria and the patent injustice against ordinary nigerians lack aggression? Is it possible to not be fiery when you see the needless suffering Nigerians are condemned to by wicked men and women  ? Does it make sense for anyone disgusted by the plight of Nigerian to lack aggression and passion? Was Rawlings aggresive only or did he actually go on to execute folks he felt were wicked and anti-progress? Yet Nairalanders can hypocritically praise Rawlings and knock Ribadu for being "pompous, uncivilised, arrogant and aggressive" !!!!

How about Patrice Lumumba of Congo ? A fierce nationalist and defender of his people ? Do people know the speech he gave that earned him a death sentence? When Congo was about to gain independence Lumumba told Belgian royalty (then the colonial rulers of Congo) to their face that "we will no longer be monkeys and jesters to entertain you. We will chart our own path forward" . The Belgian imperialist and the very white world , at the time , decided that the "monkey" had gone too far . The conspiracy to eliminate lumumba was popular and everyone signed up for it . The man was eventually taken out savagely . Go and find out about Congo today. I have congolese friends . They still moan about the influence Belgium wields , unfairly , on their nation today . The taxes levied on Congo to maintain Belgium , in the "lifestyle it has become accustomed to" , is something best not talked about in a modern world of "equity and justice" . Will the people of Congo not welcome a "cocky and aggressive" leader like Lumumba today ? They say lumumba's mouth killed him but I think the man died a hero while those not fit to clean his boots are still alive today moaning about the "imperialism" of Belgium . Was Nkrumah not "cocky aggressive and loud" ? Did Nkrumah not call Nigeria "big for nothing" in an attempt to taunt us into fighting for our independence and that of  African Countries?

I like buhari but can we say , with total confidence,  he has not lost it ? I still continue to ask what Buhari has done 23 years out of office and most of his fans have no answer. Kufour of Ghana has been out of office for 3 years yet go and check out what he is doing with himself despite being considerably older than Buhari when he left office !!!!! It is about passion for good governance. Passion for good governance does not stop when you are out of office and without political power. why does buhari contradict that Notion while Ribadu confirms it with how they have both behaved out of office and without political power? you guys should think carefully when you malign Ribadu. I will challenge all of you , given how difficult and obstructive our leaders are , to say why aggression, cockiness and a bit of brashness are wrong qualities for the next Nigerian president to have. We are being naive if we think we are at the stage where a guy like Utomi will not be consumed with the "monsters" in our politics currently . One thing fans of buhari are failing to confront is that buhari may actually be 'past it'. Yes , I concede Buhari is more likely to win than Ribadu but folks should refrain from knocking Ribadu to talk up Buhari because the most current evidence , if judged by non-Nigerians, will show Ribadu appears the more modern, more prepared , better academically qualified and more technocratically skillful. We are , at best , all clinging to memory of what Buhari was in the hope he can be that again but we must , as responsible adults, wonder what he did for 23 years out of office , as a private citizen , to benefit a people unfairly and unjustly punished by a wicked and harsh system .
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by nduchucks: 11:27am On Mar 20, 2011
To Ribadu supporters: do you realize that Ribadu cannot win the election next month and that all he can do is siphon votes from both Buhari and GEJ and probably contributing to the GEJ's victory in the process? You people are basically and effectively helping GEJ in the name of supporting Ribadu.

All reasonable observers do not see any permutation under which ACN wins - so what are really your objectives? Do you actually believe that Ribadu can win in 2011?
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Genbuhari3: 11:48am On Mar 20, 2011
Gbawe!

You keep attacking Buhari, while you frown at us when we go for Ribadu's jugular. and I have said I am not ready for any long talk again, that is the reason I asked a simple question

Considering the political prospects of all the candidates againt our common enemy, PDP, who has the best chance for us to support. Buhari is clearly ahead of Ribadu on this. And this is the basis of our support.

I know Buhari as a man who delegates a lot, hence the choice of a Vice President kills that claim of yours that he has lost steam. Bakare has proved from the time of babangida, Abacha, that he abhors any form of bad governance, risking his life in the process and getting to be arrested at some point. the drive for Buhari's integrity lies in his Vice President.

And when you mentioned I dodged my claim on Ribadu's arrogance, you simply missed the point that I just dont want to keep talking of the perception I have on him. But I will just reply you with what Simeon Kolawole wrote today on the NN24:

Ribadu’s ‘Yabis’
Ribadu, in trying to market his credentials, threw a few stones at Buhari. He said he is “modern” and “current” and has been in the service of the government in the last 25 years while some have been in retirement during the same period. This is a veiled attack on Buhari who is being criticised in some corners as “old” and not in touch with modern governance. Buhari, instructively, was retired a little over 25 years ago (1985). Ribadu said he is an international figure and not a “state” person, a veiled reference to the impression that Buhari’s support is limited to a few states in the North. Given the fact that there is still a faint possibility that Ribadu’s ACN and Buhari’s CPC could work together during the elections, I think Ribadu did not have to throw those jibes at Buhari. It was absolutely unnecessary and added nothing to his case.

This is what I mean by arrogance. You can have passion to abuse the hardened criminals, but you must always pause to acknowledge those who have gone before you in fighting these criminals.

In those school days, that is what we call 'I too know'
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Gbawe: 11:49am On Mar 20, 2011
ndu_chucks:

To Ribadu supporters: do you realize that Ribadu cannot win the election next month and that all he can do is siphon votes from both Buhari and GEJ and probably contributing to the GEJ's victory in the process? You people are basically and effectively helping GEJ in the name of supporting Ribadu.

All reasonable observers do not see any permutation under which ACN wins - so what are really your objectives? Do you actually believe that Ribadu can win in 2011?

This type of undemocratic talk is the problem . Ribadu did not cause the breakdown of the alliance talk. We all want to see the back of the PDP but Nigerians should not begin talking about Ribadu and ACN as if they are the enemies failing to fall in line behind Buhari and the CPC.  Should Ribadu and the ACN just pull out of the election so Buhari can win ? Elections still represent the will of the people . let us all never forget that . If Jonathan wins fairly then so be it . If the folks of the SW , SE and SS region do not want Buhari then perhaps , in the true spirit of democracy , we should respect their wishes.

In any case , if folks are up to speed with the latest info they will see that the ACN and ANPP continue to work with Buhari and the CPC to ensure the PDP is ousted . The Parties have already agreed to work together if a run-off situation arises . I really don't see what more the ACN and Ribadu can do . It is intellectually lazy for many to now routinely talk as if Ribadu and the ACN are enemies of progress while , in reality, Ribadu and his Party continue to do everything possible to oust the PDP.

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=12539

April polls: ACN, CPC, ANPP plan to stop PDP
Yusuf Alli

[b]Three key opposition parties have returned to the negotiation table for a formula that will end the 12-year reign of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The parties are the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) and the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP).

Leaders of the three parties met in Abuja on Sunday night to discuss a three-point battle plan for the April general elections.

On the cards are:

•how to work together to ensure that votes count in all polling stations;

•the shape of alliance the parties may adopt in case of a presidential run-off against the incumbent President; and

•how the three parties can work hard to win majority seats in the National Assembly and form a parliamentary alliance.

It was learnt that the three parties weighed the options, following the emerging trend of a likely presidential run-off between President Goodluck Jonathan and other candidates, such as Mallam Nuhu Ribadu (ACN); Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (CPC); and Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau (ANPP).

The presidential candidates of the three parties are from Adamawa in the Northeast (ACN); Katsina in the Northwest (CPC) and Kano in the Northwest (ANPP).

Ribadu may earn substantial votes from the Southwest and Northeast; Buhari may control much of the votes from the Northwest. Shekarau has a firm grip on Kano, his political enclave.[/b]
INEC has released a provisional figure of 67.7million eligible voters for the April polls.

Of the total figure, the Southwest; the Northeast and the Northwest account for 43,301,974million (representing 56.49%).

The breakdown is as follows: Southwest (14,318,356); Northwest (18,900, 508); and Northeast (10,083,110).

Following the resentment in the Northwest and some parts of the Northeast and Northcentral against the President, the opposition is banking on a run-off.

Section 134(2)and (3) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) says: “A candidate for an election into the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected to such office where, there being more than two candidates for the election – (a) he has the highest number of votes cast at the election; and (b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the states in the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

“In default of a candidate duly elected in accordance with sub-section (2) of this section, there shall be a second election in accordance with subsection (4) of this section at which the only candidate shall be-(a) the candidate who scored the highest number of votes at any election held in accordance with the said subsection(2) of this section and (b) one among the remaining candidates who has a majority of votes in the highest number of states, so however that where there are more than one candidate with a majority of votes in the highest number of states, the candidate among them with the highest total of votes cast at the election shall be the second candidate for the election.

A source, who spoke in confidence, said the three parties are still talking.

He added: “Do not foreclose a working alliance because the race is still open. Nigerians will know soon after the first presidential ballot.

“The opposition is really anticipating a run-off poll going by the political mood nationwide.

“That is why we have opened fresh discussion. We are bound to agree and disagree on this alliance but the interest of the masses is paramount. Nigerians are tired of the PDP and we will do our best to forge an alliance to dislodge them.”

A top official of the CPC and two-term member of the Senate, Senator Abu Ibrahim, confirmed the fresh alliance talks by the three parties.

He said: “It is true that there was a meeting yesterday (Sunday) of the ACN, CPC and even ANPP. The three parties have started planning ahead in case we come into a stalemate and the next President could not emerge through the first ballot.

“We foresee the likelihood of the presidential election moving into the second round. Therefore, if we are talking now, it makes it much easier because the moment we become friendly, it will become easier.

“We are also thinking of parliamentary alliance. The presidency is important, but there are other areas of interest that we cannot foreclose. We have been meeting on how to work hard to ensure that the three parties secure majority in the National Assembly and check the tyranny of the PDP.”
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Gbawe: 12:04pm On Mar 20, 2011
Genbuhari3:

Considering the political prospects of all the candidates againt our common enemy, PDP, who has the best chance for us to support. Buhari is clearly ahead of Ribadu on this. And this is the basis of our support.

And I agree because you now put it like this . Before it was about "arrogance" and character assasination. Were you absent when BB fans branded Ribadu "unserious, an OBJ plant, a spoiler of GEJ" and other unsavoury tags ? Is that the behaviour of intelligent folks who understand the concept of working towards a common objective i.e ousting the PDP?

Ribadu’s ‘Yabis’
Ribadu, in trying to market his credentials, threw a few stones at Buhari. He said he is “modern” and “current” and has been in the service of the government in the last 25 years while some have been in retirement during the same period. This is a veiled attack on Buhari who is being criticised in some corners as “old” and not in touch with modern governance. Buhari, instructively, was retired a little over 25 years ago (1985). Ribadu said he is an international figure and not a “state” person, a veiled reference to the impression that Buhari’s support is limited to a few states in the North. Given the fact that there is still a faint possibility that Ribadu’s ACN and Buhari’s CPC could work together during the elections, I think Ribadu did not have to throw those jibes at Buhari. It was absolutely unnecessary and added nothing to his case.

This is what I mean by arrogance. You can have passion to abuse the hardened criminals, but you must always pause to acknowledge those who have gone before you in fighting these criminals.

In those school days, that is what we call 'I too know'

I can completely agree that Ribadu went over the top here . It was uneccesary. I suspect it is an overreaction to how buhari fans ungraciously continue to tag Ribadu a "pretender" . He must have felt the need to remind them  , as I also did because of the ungraciousness of BB fans, that buhari has not done much since retiring . In essence, respect is earned . If Bakare and the BB fans continue to attack Ribadu needlessly then you cannot expect him not to respond . What is Bakare doing telling the World he will expose Ribadu and that "Ribadu is not who people think he is" ? Were you not one of those who supported Bakare's ungracious attacks? Please deal with the break down of cordiality , caused by Bakare and ungracious BB fans , when it happens rather than blame Ribadu alone when , up till now , the man has been ignoring attacks against his person by so-called "allies" with 'back-stabbing' tactics .
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Genbuhari3: 12:11pm On Mar 20, 2011
Bakare and Ribadu can take on each other, they are are peer group, but why take on an elder statesman who has never in history spoken anything bad about Ribadu, who even invited Ribadu to his house for a dialogue?

I look at Buhari that day as Ribadu jabbed at him, and I got angry because it could have been my father!

if he is a corrupt father, that is fine, but not Buhari.

We the supporters are different from the candidates and they can't control what we say.

I rest my case as I watch and read those again, and even an average Nigerian knows that was bad! The room of the debate felt it as well.

But I think we can move on. Best of Luck to Ribadu!
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Gbawe: 12:28pm On Mar 20, 2011
Genbuhari3:

Bakare and Ribadu can take on each other, they are are peer group, but why take on an elder statesman who has never in history spoken anything bad about Ribadu, who even invited Ribadu to his house for a dialogue?

I look at Buhari that day as Ribadu jabbed at him, and I got angry because it could have been my father!

if he is a corrupt father, that is fine, but not Buhari.

We the supporters are different from the candidates and they can't control what we say.

I rest my case as I watch and read those again, and even an average Nigerian knows that was bad! The room of the debate felt it as well.

But I think we can move on. Best of Luck to Ribadu!

I too did not like that . I felt it was low of Ribadu. Buhari deserves respect. Even this debate does not detract from his dignity. he is a father of Nigeria and I don't doubt his goodwill. I sincerely hope Ribadu will not repeat similar regardless of provocation. Nonetheless , this our conversation confirm how we are different in thinking . You backed and defended bakare's ungracious talk and I am condemning Ribadu's unprovoked attack on a man who has always spoken of the former EFCC boss in glowing terms.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Sagamite(m): 12:29pm On Mar 20, 2011
Genbuhari3:

Why not?  angry

That is the basis of leadership contention?
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Genbuhari3: 12:31pm On Mar 20, 2011
handshakes Gbawe, am sure we will be on same page after April 9, whether to campaign more to oust PDP or to celebrate PDP is out.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Genbuhari3: 12:32pm On Mar 20, 2011
sagamite,

I don tire ooo. not ready to discuss this matter again. Thanks.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Pataki: 12:59pm On Mar 20, 2011
Genbuhari3:

handshakes Gbawe, am sure we will be on same page after April 9, whether to campaign more to oust PDP or to celebrate PDP is out.
I like your person on this forum. Well done bruv.

@ Gbawe,

I find it extremely gentlemanly of you to accept the errors from what Ribadu displayed. Shows you are one honest man. I may not like Ribadu as a person, but you and I have the same purpose. That is: seeing a new Nigeria.

Let's keep the wind of change circulating in the Nigerian atmosphere going on.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Adyman: 1:34pm On Mar 20, 2011
It is shameful to read how some people keep supporting Buhari's camp no matter what,  After watching the NN24 debate 3 times, I can conclude that Buhari lacks the mental capacity and the brain coordination that are required to rule Nigeria at this present time. Buhari has been preparing to rule Nigeria for over 9 years (since 2003) and yet he showed lack of depth and information in every area of importance as far as Nigeria is concerned. While talking about power, he even mentioned something "KiloMeg",  The fact that you guys are bent on supporting him anyhow is a demonstration of corruption and lack of integrity because you go to any length to twist whatever in other to prove that the man is the best. Given the opportunity, some of you will be as corrupt as whatever we are seeing today based on your shameful demonstration on this forum.

We all agree that PDP is evil but that does not mean we should not open our mind in our attempt to oust PDP out of power. We must be objective in our quest for change. Buhari is too old not just in age but idea, he will rely too much on his subordinates and that is while corruption keep waxing stronger in our society. If you have worked under a boss that is not technical in a technical field, you will understand what I mean.

All Buhari can boast of is that he will fight corruption, while I agree that corruption is a major problem in Nigeria, I also believe that fighting it is not the main thing.
A VERY large percentage of human being all over the world are either corrupt or have tendencies for corruption. It is the responsibility of the government to put an efficient and corrupt-proof processes in place which requires critical reasoning. Examine the few performing governors in Nigeria today like Fashola, Ameachi et al, you will find out that they are the people that can think on their feet, they are mentally tough not docile and expecting one commissioner to come up with an idea.

Like Bakare ones said, Buhari belongs to the old generation and the very past that Nigeria should never think of. Whatever you don't have you can't give. He could be better as EFCC or ICPC chairman or Minister of Niger Delta. All the excuses that he speaks slowly or is a man of few words are nonsense. People that speak slowly often have the advantage of thinking before they speak and therefore make more sense. After 9 years of preparation, 2 minutes was too much for him to summarize his vision for the nation and someone say he is a man of few words, no he is a man of low mental capacity.

It is unfortunate that my best candidate (Pat Utomi) has no chance of winning because we have so many educated illiterate in Nigeria as has been demonstrated on Nairaland. In conclusion I would like someone to please tell me what Buhari has been doing since he left government over 25 years ago, you see, talent and gift cannot be hidding. The only idea he has is to rule Nigeria. Common, people let us think, what has Buhari been doing locally, nationally and internationally other than being a regular presidential candidate. What has he contributed to the ailing poverty and poor education in his local community? My prayer is, no matter how hard you people try, he will fail again, again and again. Any other candidate but Buhari.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by nduchucks: 1:49pm On Mar 20, 2011
Gbawe:

This type of undemocratic talk is the problem . Ribadu did not cause the breakdown of the alliance talk. We all want to see the back of the PDP but Nigerians should not begin talking about Ribadu and ACN as if they are the enemies failing to fall in line behind Buhari and the CPC.  Should Ribadu and the ACN just pull out of the election so Buhari can win ? Elections still represent the will of the people . let us all never forget that . If Jonathan wins fairly then so be it . If the folks of the SW , SE and SS region do not want Buhari then perhaps , in the true spirit of democracy , we should respect their wishes.

There is nothing undemocratic about what I stated, it is not unusual and in fact democratic for opponents to team up under a common interest to oust a bigger threat such as PDP. I'm only suggesting that, as a practical matter, the ACN at this point is indirectly working for and aiding GEJ in his presidential bid. 

Gbawe:

In any case , if folks are up to speed with the latest info they will see that the ACN and ANPP continue to work with Buhari and the CPC to ensure the PDP is ousted . The Parties have already agreed to work together if a run-off situation arises . I really don't see what more the ACN and Ribadu can do . It is intellectually lazy for many to now routinely talk as if Ribadu and the ACN are enemies of progress while , in reality, Ribadu and his Party continue to do everything possible to oust the PDP.

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=12539

ACN and ANPP agreed to work together to oust PDP if a run-off situation arises, kwo? What if GEJ wins outright as a direct result of the votes siphoned from Buhari by ACN and ANPP?  Bold steps are required to oust PDP outright, there is no better way to position Ribadu and/or Shekarau for a formidable presidential run after 4 years of Buhari's, than for  ACN and ANPP to withdraw their presidential candidates now and declare their support for Buhari!

Both Ribadu and Shekarau have stated very recently that they would step down for a "consensus" candidate under the right condition - its time for them to deliver.  I would not be surprised if both of the said candidates withdrew right after the next presidential debate, for maximum effect.

Shekarau ==> http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/shekarau-im-ready-to-step-down-for-northern-consensus-candidate/87705/

Ribadu ==> https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-623962.0.html
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by MKDON: 2:09pm On Mar 20, 2011
i have always known ribadu as a chatter box, an empty vessel. points fingers at GEJ for gettin to whr he is by luck rather than hardwork. i wd say ribadu's luck is more 'cos he ws just a hachet man, whc gv him a false impression of popularity.rode on influential pple's bak to head EFCC. a facade.a hypocrite

Shekarau is a great asset to this country n has d soln to our problem. bt he needs more force. Wise ansa-fund police properly and scrap EFCC, u get wonderful results. u r a Genius

Buhari's xperience is undoubtedly wt we nd at this tym. he's bn dr b4 and incorruptible. among d lot, he's d only 1 wt d wand 2 deal wt our greatest nightmare-protectin d evil n corrupt leaders.

GEJ has a good heart, but is so desperate to get seemingly right things done cluelessly. he's not critical in thinkin cos of his desperation to right supposed wrongs. seems spineless to attack d evil monsters who hv brot this country to their knees in abject poverty.sorrounded by hawks (PDP)

submission: Buhari/Bakare is d ansa for 2011. Shekarau shd b made our prime Minister.

Fashola prepare for 2015
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by agabaI23(m): 4:23pm On Mar 20, 2011
Adyman:

It is shameful to read how some people keep supporting Buhari's camp no matter what,  After watching the NN24 debate 3 times, I can conclude that Buhari lacks the mental capacity and the brain coordination that are required to rule Nigeria at this present time. Buhari has been preparing to rule Nigeria for over 9 years (since 2003) and yet he showed lack of depth and information in every area of importance as far as Nigeria is concerned. While talking about power, he even mentioned something "KiloMeg",  The fact that you guys are bent on supporting him anyhow is a demonstration of corruption and lack of integrity because you go to any length to twist whatever in other to prove that the man is the best. Given the opportunity, some of you will be as corrupt as whatever we are seeing today based on your shameful demonstration on this forum.

We all agree that PDP is evil but that does not mean we should not open our mind in our attempt to oust PDP out of power. We must be objective in our quest for change. Buhari is too old not just in age but idea, he will rely too much on his subordinates and that is while corruption keep waxing stronger in our society. If you have worked under a boss that is not technical in a technical field, you will understand what I mean.

All Buhari can boast of is that he will fight corruption, while I agree that corruption is a major problem in Nigeria, I also believe that fighting it is not the main thing.
A VERY large percentage of human being all over the world are either corrupt or have tendencies for corruption. It is the responsibility of the government to put an efficient and corrupt-proof processes in place which requires critical reasoning. Examine the few performing governors in Nigeria today like Fashola, Ameachi et al, you will find out that they are the people that can think on their feet, they are mentally tough not docile and expecting one commissioner to come up with an idea.

Like Bakare ones said, Buhari belongs to the old generation and the very past that Nigeria should never think of. Whatever you don't have you can't give. He could be better as EFCC or ICPC chairman or Minister of Niger Delta. All the excuses that he speaks slowly or is a man of few words are nonsense. People that speak slowly often have the advantage of thinking before they speak and therefore make more sense. After 9 years of preparation, 2 minutes was too much for him to summarize his vision for the nation and someone say he is a man of few words, no he is a man of low mental capacity.

It is unfortunate that my best candidate (Pat Utomi) has no chance of winning because we have so many educated illiterate in Nigeria as has been demonstrated on Nairaland. In conclusion I would like someone to please tell me what Buhari has been doing since he left government over 25 years ago, you see, talent and gift cannot be hidding. The only idea he has is to rule Nigeria. Common, people let us think, what has Buhari been doing locally, nationally and internationally other than being a regular presidential candidate. What has he contributed to the ailing poverty and poor education in his local community? My prayer is, no matter how hard you people try, he will fail again, again and again. Any other candidate but Buhari.
Good man!

And as per Ribadu's jabs at Buhari, there is nothing wrong with that. He said the truth, why are BB proponents who are harping on honesty not happy with the truth? This is hypocrisy. He should be able to deal with the truth. People are just being passionate without pausing to think or may be they know the truth but are not willing to accept it.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Kobojunkie: 4:34pm On Mar 20, 2011
ndu_chucks:

There is nothing undemocratic about what I stated, it is not unusual and in fact democratic for opponents to team up under a common interest to oust a bigger threat such as PDP. I'm only suggesting that, as a practical matter, the ACN at this point is indirectly working for and aiding GEJ in his presidential bid. 

i agree
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Gbawe: 4:56pm On Mar 20, 2011
Adyman:

It is shameful to read how some people keep supporting Buhari's camp no matter what,  After watching the NN24 debate 3 times, I can conclude that Buhari lacks the mental capacity and the brain coordination that are required to rule Nigeria at this present time. Buhari has been preparing to rule Nigeria for over 9 years (since 2003) and yet he showed lack of depth and information in every area of importance as far as Nigeria is concerned. While talking about power, he even mentioned something "KiloMeg",  The fact that you guys are bent on supporting him anyhow is a demonstration of corruption and lack of integrity because you go to any length to twist whatever in other to prove that the man is the best. Given the opportunity, some of you will be as corrupt as whatever we are seeing today based on your shameful demonstration on this forum.

My brother , some of your criticism are correct and relevant . I will not attempt to hold brief for Buhari but I think he is one of the best men to lead us  as per the Nigeria we have today. I don't fall in the camp of those who believe the Nigerian President has to have everything . You don't build a city without first clearing the Jungle . The crude tractor required to clear the jungle is just as important as all the infrastructure and built entities that will make the City great.   Right now the most important qualities for the Nigeria president to have  are unshakeable political will , integrity and sincerity . i think Buhari has those qualities . This is why I can overlook some of his shortcomings. Today we have compromised individuals leading virtually every sector to the detriment of Nigeria . This is so because PDP President , by nature of why they are imposed on Nigeria , lack sincerity , integrity and genuine political will .

I have no doubt that Buhari is one of the few Nigerians who would be brave enough to make the likes of Gani Fawehinmi (RIP) or Femi Falana our AGF. I do not doubt that Buhari could make Col. Umar head of the EFCC while virtually every Nigerian PDP President (including GEJ) would settle for a Waziri-type individual , to aid "business as usual" for a few , instead of an incorruptible character like Umar . Under Buhari we will not see Katsina-Alu , or his type, as Cheif Justice of Nigeria. Instead we will see someone of integrity who can deliver Buhari's vision of strong Institutions built by strong characters . The long and short of it is that Buhari is not really required for his ideas . We have wonderful Nigerians who are brilliant , patriotic and desirous of doing their bit to move us forward . Many of those folks don't 'do' politics . They need a character like Buhari , with supreme executive power, to bring them in and protect them so that they can carry out progressive and far reaching reforms across Nigeria . By the time Buhari leaves we may be closer to the type of sanitised nation folks like Fashola and duke can lead with progressive ideas and vision. let us not forget that Democracy is a journey and not a destination . Buhari may be the right driver for this stretch of road Nigeria has to cover in our democratic Journey.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Genbuhari3: 6:09pm On Mar 20, 2011
Gbawe!

We need you on the BB2011 ticket!

But we can wait for April 9, 2011 if you refuse.

I think we are on same page, but a thin line dividing us. Like say, If Buhari suddenly withraws, Ribadu I will vote for, but based on prospects now, Buhari has it.

Thanks for being an objective contributor here.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by 9ijaMan: 6:14pm On Mar 20, 2011
Gbawe:

My brother , some of your criticism are correct and relevant . I will not attempt to hold brief for Buhari but I think he is one of the best men to lead us  as per the Nigeria we have today. I don't fall in the camp of those who believe the Nigerian President has to have everything . You don't build a city without first clearing the Jungle . The crude tractor required to clear the jungle is just as important as all the infrastructure and built entities that will make the City great.   Right now the most important qualities for the Nigeria president to have  are unshakeable political will , integrity and sincerity . i think Buhari has those qualities . This is why I can overlook some of his shortcomings. Today we have compromised individuals leading virtually every sector to the detriment of Nigeria . This is so because PDP President , by nature of why they are imposed on Nigeria , lack sincerity , integrity and genuine political will .

I have no doubt that Buhari is one of the few Nigerians who would be brave enough to make the likes of Gani Fawehinmi (RIP) or Femi Falana our AGF. I do not doubt that Buhari could make Col. Umar head of the EFCC while virtually every Nigerian PDP President (including GEJ) would settle for a Waziri-type individual , to aid "business as usual" for a few , instead of an incorruptible character like Umar . Under Buhari we will not see Katsina-Alu , or his type, as Cheif Justice of Nigeria. Instead we will see someone of integrity who can deliver Buhari's vision of strong Institutions built by strong characters . The long and short of it is that Buhari is not really required for his ideas . We have wonderful Nigerians who are brilliant , patriotic and desirous of doing their bit to move us forward . Many of those folks don't 'do' politics . They need a character like Buhari , with supreme executive power, to bring them in and protect them so that they can carry out progressive and far reaching reforms across Nigeria . By the time Buhari leaves we may be closer to the type of sanitised nation folks like Fashola and duke can lead with progressive ideas and vision. let us not forget that Democracy is a journey and not a destination . Buhari may be the right driver for this stretch of road Nigeria has to cover in our democratic Journey.
Your comments today have, to say the least, shown that you are one of the most patriotic Nigerians we have on this forum. Admitting that Ribadu goofed during the debate by attacking Buhari shows you are not one of those "it must be Ribadu or no one else" types. Kudos to you.

Even though I'm an ardent Buhari supporter it still does not make me to shy away from the fact that the debate didn't go so well for him. Some of us have excused him based on the fact that he is not known to be an eloquent speaker. My continued support for the man is based on two important points: He has the important qualities we need in any individual who wants to lead us out of the mess PDP has thrown us into in the last 12 years of misrule, INTEGRITY, HONESTY and SELFLESSNESS.
Secondly Buhari is known to be a doer, who has the knack to fish out patriotic Nigerians who will be able to deliver on the enormous task ahead to rescue the country from the brink of collapse.

You extolled  Rawlings in one of your posts earlier for cleansing Ghana off corruption. Such a reference is one of my regrets today about Buhari. If he had followed the footsteps of Rawlings who got into power 2 years before Buhari came in, perhaps we may have moved far ahead as a nation. That's history though and we have to simply move on.

I agree totally with you that we need a strong character to come clean the mess on ground before we can now start talking of evolving the greatness in us. My argument all along is that Buhari remains one of the few Nigerian old guards who can help build the necessary foundation upon which younger visionaries such as those you mentioned can develop the nation.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by opalu: 6:24pm On Mar 20, 2011
Gbawe:

My brother , some of your criticism are correct and relevant . I will not attempt to hold brief for Buhari but I think he is one of the best men to lead us as per the Nigeria we have today. I don't fall in the camp of those who believe the Nigerian President has to have everything . You don't build a city without first clearing the Jungle . The crude tractor required to clear the jungle is just as important as all the infrastructure and built entities that will make the City great. Right now the most important qualities for the Nigeria president to have are unshakeable political will , integrity and sincerity . i think Buhari has those qualities . This is why I can overlook some of his shortcomings. Today we have compromised individuals leading virtually every sector to the detriment of Nigeria . This is so because PDP President , by nature of why they are imposed on Nigeria , lack sincerity , integrity and genuine political will .

GBAWE, U HAVE BRAINSSSSSSSSSSSSS I BEG. AS A CONSTRUCTION PROFESSIONAL, THE BUSH-CLEARING ASPECT MADE MORE SENSE TO ME.
BUHARI=BULDOZER TO CLEAR THIS ROT, RUST AND WRECK THAT PDP HAS INFLICTED ON US.
IN 2015, THAT WILL BE THE ELDORADO SINCE YOU WILL SEE PEOPLE LIKE FASHOLA CLIMBING HIGHER (if he doesnt dissappoint in 2nd tenure)

AFTERALL, DAVID FOUGHT THE BATTLE FOR SOLOMON TO BUILD UPON WITHOUT FIGHTING ANY BATTLE
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by ProAnti: 6:55pm On Mar 20, 2011
opalu:

GBAWE, U HAVE BRAINSSSSSSSSSSSSS I BEG. AS A CONSTRUCTION PROFESSIONAL, THE BUSH-CLEARING ASPECT MADE MORE SENSE TO ME.
BUHARI=BULDOZER TO CLEAR THIS ROT, RUST AND WRECK THAT PDP HAS INFLICTED ON US.
IN 2015, THAT WILL BE THE ELDORADO SINCE YOU WILL SEE PEOPLE LIKE FASHOLA CLIMBING HIGHER (if he doesnt dissappoint in 2nd tenure)

AFTERALL, DAVID FOUGHT THE BATTLE FOR SOLOMON TO BUILD UPON WITHOUT FIGHTING ANY BATTLE

Its heartwarming to see that Nigerians are beginning to think 'long-term'. Instant results do no last- instead, they attract enemies and extinguishers more quickly.
What we need in Nigeria is a systematic and thorough implementation of basic principles of good governance, exhibited first by the leadership. Giant developmental strides can then follow.
I'm happy to see an overt acknowledgement by a BB supporter that corruption cannot be fought in 12 short months.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Wadeoye(m): 9:32pm On Mar 20, 2011
@Gbawe, thanks for your contribution - sure it will enlighten a lot of people about the man Buhari and the reason we are supporting him. Buhari has never be an eloquent person. of course it is not aloquence that we need now - we need a man of action and that is Buhari. As as a governor, he did well. As a minister, he did well. As head of state, he did well. As PTF chairman, he did well. So you can’t question his competence as an administrator. And with all these positions that today's politicians will call juicy positions, he did not corruptly enrich himself. What else do we need?

And back to the debate, it all depends on the perspective from which you look at it. If you look at it on the surface like many hurriedly did, you would say Buhari did't do well enough. If you look at it from an oratory perspective, you will say Buhari didn't do well enough. But if you watch the debate and process the responses (which many didn't do), you will know that Buhari understands the issues and his responses were spot on.

Lets start -

Education:

Is there is any problem with our Education System? Buhari said NO – I agree with him. Why? The education system we operate is not unique to Nigeria. We have the same system being praticed in other countries and it works well for them. What is unique however with Nigeria education system is poor funding and inadequate supervision. Starting with UBE, a properly funded UBE by federal government will equip our kids right from cradle. Funding should be provided and properly supervised – these two key things are missing in Nigeria today.

Also, Buhari talked about the need for technical training in school as we have in 6334. Everybody will agree that if 6334 is properly implemented and funded with strick supervison, we may end up becoming the likes of china and japan. No other candidate talked about the need for technical training and the need for FG to properly fund UBE. On private schools, Buhari said there is no problem - this is democracy. Whoever can afford it can use it. We have these everywhere in the world.

On this issue of education, I give it to Buhari.

Budget:

Buhari mentioned that budget should not be an adhoc stuff. We should have a long term plan and on that basis, we can develop our budget for each year. This represents the best solution to our budget issue and of course, solution to our infrastructure challenges/unemployment.

The issue of recurrent expenditure, can always be reviewed and agreed. Ribadu said, he would insist that salary and allowance be cut. The question then is, where is democracy if a person can have his way no matter what?

On this again, I give it to Buhari.

Corruption:

While some people belief that Nigerians are not corrupt/indiscipline because of political gains, everybody even the people in the hall at the venue of the debate agreed with Buhari that corruption is the bane of all our problems. Buhari said, if a leader or executive head or president is corrupt, the people under him will not agree not to be corrupt. So, corruption needs to be eradicated in the system if we must move forward and that the leaders will be the one to lead by example. He said he will be accountable to the people and everybody under him will be accountable as well.

My question to Ribadu is, if Nigerians are not corrupt and indisciplined, why are things this bad in the country? Why was Nigeria once ranked the second most corrupt nation on earth? Why the EFCC?

I give this to Buhari again.

Power:

On power, the solution is as simple as Buhari put it - go back to 1999 and we work from there - what did have then, how much money have we spent so far, on what, what have we achieved and where did we get it wrong - you will agree with me that Buhari knows what he is saying. When Ribadu said we need to do this, have to do that, etc. Who told him the $16B was not to be spent on those things he highlighted? But did they spend the money on it? Investigating our expenses till date on power will help to know where we got it wrong - this is not to witchhunt anybody - so the corrupt should not be afraid.

In conclusion, the fact that Buhari is not a talking person (or an orator) doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a plan. Soilders normally go straight to the point – they are not marketers.

And anybody can correct me if what I stated above is different from what GMB said.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Genbuhari3: 9:37pm On Mar 20, 2011
Wadeoye,

you couldn't have said it better. but let's desist from bashing Buhari. Gbawe is a jolly good fellow grin

we will really need his wisdom and understanding on the BB2011 ticket.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Sagamite(m): 11:24pm On Mar 20, 2011
For all those that said Shekarau won the debate, I have been privileged to see the whole thing in full and I really cannot see how he provided more substance than the other 2, especially Ribadu. Buhari made some errors, e.g. not explaining what he meant by "No problem with Nigerian education" even when given the platform and extra time to do so.

One silly thing he said and makes me X him is that he would close the EFCC down.

One of his arguments was that Ribadu said he had more funding than was needed at the EFCC, so he (Shekarau) thinks that EFCC is not needed. All we need is to fund the police.

No 1, he was too ignorant to know that EFCC was not only funded by the Nigerian govt but also by several international and foreign bodies. How will he get the same level of funding for the Nigerian police.

No 2, efficiency in tackling corruption needs men with principles and the right mental orientation. The Nigerian Police full of leadership that cannot even stop extra-judicial killings, has corrupt bosses, like Balogun, is what this man want to give the critical function of tackling corruption to? He must be having a laff. The EFCC was set up with prudent sieving and selection of the best officers with the right mentality and principles to ensure more robust and efficient performance. That is one thing that can not be achieved in Nigerian police force, at best, in the next 10 years.

That said, all 3 lacked an ideological-based policy in their answers, they all just gave ad-hoc solutions/implementation plans or identification of problems and its drivers. This is forgivable, as this is the first presidential debate, they are allowed to make errors.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Gbawe: 12:02am On Mar 21, 2011
Sagamite:

For all those that said Shekarau won the debate, I have been privileged to see the whole thing in full and I really cannot see how he provided more substance than the other 2, especially Ribadu. Buhari made some errors, e.g. not explaining what he meant by "No problem with Nigerian education" even when given the platform and extra time to do so.

One silly thing he said and makes me X him is that he would close the EFCC down.

One of his arguments was that Ribadu said he had more funding than was needed at the EFCC, so he (Shekarau) thinks that EFCC is not needed. All we need is to fund the police.

No 1, he was too ignorant to know that EFCC was not only funded by the Nigerian govt but also by several international and foreign bodies. How will he get the same level of funding for the Nigerian police.

No 2, efficiency in tackling corruption needs men with principles and the right mental orientation. The Nigerian Police full of leadership that cannot even stop extra-judicial killings, has corrupt bosses, like Balogun, is what this man want to give the critical function of tackling corruption to? He must be having a laff. The EFCC was set up with prudent sieving and selection of the best officers with the right mentality and principles to ensure more robust and efficient performance. That is one thing that can not be achieved in Nigerian police force, at best, in the next 10 years.

That said, all 3 lacked an ideological-based policy in their answers, they all just gave ad-hoc solutions/implementation plans or identification of problems and its drivers. This is forgivable, as this is the first presidential debate, they are allowed to make errors.

Man mi, I can only conclude you saw what needed to be seen , unlike most folks , because you are probably well-spoken and eloquent yourself to the extent that you are not neccessarily distracted or impressed by those considerations alone .  Like yourself , I don't see the "brilliant" submissions Shekarau made. As you conclude , I aslo found Shekarau extremely unintelligent and not up to speed with his submission that the EFCC and ICPC are not required. Looking at what Nigerians do , fraudwise , in the diaspora is enough to show that even more specialised effort is required in Nigeria.

Shekarau should get out more so he can note that some advanced Nations , with far less corruption than Nigeria , have so many specialist agencies to combat white-collar and specialist crime that are so sophisticated that the brilliant minds behind the crime can get away with using clever pseudo-legal loopholes to beat justice. I have City boys I worked with , in London , when we were all only fresh graduates , who can cripple Nigeria and bamboozle the likes of Shekarau who prehistorically believe that throwing money at our simplistic police officers will make them competent enough to fight all crimes. Shekarau is simply showing his lack of exposure and "area champion" limitations.

Nairalanders , look at what our bank CEO's got away with , till Sanusi exposed them,   yet Shekarau can simplistically posit that throwing more money at the police will make them capable of fighting specialist crime in a nation of very intelligent people totally devoted to using their specialist knowledge to steal and plunder. At the very least Shekarau, if he is modern , will understand that we need talented and specially trained crime fighters who can think as smartly as the perpetrators of specialist crime. The EFCC and ICPC are critically neccesary. They just need sincere leadership.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by geosegun(m): 8:14am On Mar 21, 2011
@Gbawe; Good talk. I'll like to meet you in person.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by seguno2: 8:42am On Mar 21, 2011
Africa does not need great men. It needs great institutions. - Barack Obama

The president and governors can not do it all. Let's stop seeking saviours and messiahs in our leaders.
We also need to focus on the legislators who can make better laws and check the excesses of the president and governors.
Do you know the PERSONAL profile of candidates vying for state and national assembly legislator in your ward and constituency? Or you will simply Vote those belonging to the party of your presidential and governorship candidate? Let's not end up with legislators who reportedly spent N195.2b to pass ONLY 165 bills.
Scrutinise and choose wisely.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Biscute(f): 9:03am On Mar 21, 2011
Hola Nigerians, too much grammar and well polished english is different from administration,.
If big english produces good leadership we better look for the likes of Pastor Chris Okotie,  Pastor tunde Bakare and Dan Masa ni Kano to be our president.
Debate or no debate let us ask God to give us good leader that can take care of Nigeria factors
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by peaceland(m): 9:27am On Mar 21, 2011
Hello All,
I watched the debate live.
Shekarau was good. he applied his current experience right in most of the questions asked
Ribadu was very good until he starts jabbing unnecessarily and messed up the anti-corruption question
Buhari was ok. could do better really but i was not diasspointed. i have known him to be a cautious speaker. how can you be given 2 minutes to close and you finished your closing statement in 1 minutes. just to tell you he wont be talking much if he wins; the vp (bakare) can talk though so no wahala. this is a man orgnising 45 minutes campaign; you get there only to realise he has finished. short and too brief.
so gej was actually playing it safe by not coming to the debate - he is equally not an eloquent man with propensity to say the wrong things when impromptu. however, we wait for 29th march. expo or no expo the truth would still smell out
thank you
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Nobody: 9:34am On Mar 21, 2011
Where dey de sell PHD?
ME TOO I WANT MY OWN
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by rhamzus(m): 10:48am On Mar 21, 2011
Shekarau spoke like a man of intelligence, he spoke with confidence and he came well prepared. He is the man to vote for but sorry the westerners would not support him.

Ribadu was a disgrace; stubborn, beating around d bush and talking out of point. the guy no get mandate or plans to achieve his goals.

Buhari: well tried but he time his time is gone, the manner he ruled during military regime can nt b applied in democracy rule.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by wise(m): 11:13am On Mar 21, 2011
Na waooo, some people are hell bent on criticising at all cost, Well, na tanker driver caused am ooo, It is the same problem that is crippling the effectiveness and impartiality of Journalist that is affecting our Thinking as a whole, It is human to be supportive or supports what or who you feel is right at all cost but we should learn to apply Wisdom. Both the ACN, PDP, and others are buying up the Media and selling rubbish to us. ALL OF DEM NI OOO, SO NA SAME SAME, WE GO ONLY CHOOSE WHICH ONE IS FAIR or WOULD BE FAIR.

DEM NO GO USE MY HEAD OOOO, IN LAGOS, IT IS 100% CERTAIN MY VOTE WOULD BE FOR FASHOLA, BUT AT THE FEDERAL, I AM 70% SURE IT WOULD BE FOR JO JO, Ribadu has no idea but his running mate is the reason why i am still waiting. Whosoever emerges as the President should quickly snapped this man Up and let the job begin, QUOTE ME, RIBADU can never emerged as the President of this Country come April 2011.

Ribadu is a good ANTI CORRUPTION crusader and both of them would do a good job if they emerged because as far as i am concerned, ADEOLA has d Idea but the timing is wrong and that is why YOUTHS are divided and we dey argue over and over again.

I LOVE NIGERIA, DON'T LET THEM USE UR HEAD OOO.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Member Of Tinubu Campaign Council Accused Innoson Of Selling Subpar Vehicles (P / Patience Jonathan Must Explain How She Earned Billions – Sagay / Tinubu: I Can’t Wrestle With Pigs, We Will Beat Them Silly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 196
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.