Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,203 members, 7,835,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto - Science/Technology (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto (50065 Views)

Nigerian Man Constructs A Transformer In Aba, Abia State (Photos, Video) / I Need A Manufacturing Company That Fabricates Disposable Plate Moulds / Jelani Aliyu, NADDC Boss, To Herald Theme On Convergence And Future Of The Niger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by Josywhyte: 8:12am On Nov 23, 2020
And our yeye president will only give him a 'presidential handshake' just like he did the guy that constructed a drone. See talent wey dey waste
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by Tony021: 8:12am On Nov 23, 2020
wirinet:

Since you said I should use Google, I will. Maybe you will understand what I am trying to say.

The main crux of my argument is that electromagnetic induction, which is the principle which transformers work is a function of voltage, EMF or Potential Difference, and current is a natural consequence of voltage. Voltage is stored up energy, current is the actual amount of that stored up energy that's being used.

You can have voltage without current, but it's impossible to have current without voltage.

Yes, induction is a function of voltage. But if you read further down in that article you will see that to increase the voltage produced you need to increase the magnetic field strength while keeping the speed constant. This involves more force. And force is related to current in electromagnetism by the relationship F=kti. Here power is increased

This therefore means, at constant power, if the magnetic field strength (force/current) was increased, the relative speed would be reduced and hence the voltage. (P=IpVp)

Summary
You were right theoretically about no power when talking about transformers but only in an open circuit situation where there is no resistance. voltage can still be computed
NsVp=NpVs

Also when current is passing because of either the resistance of the wire or load in general and hence power, these formulas apply
IsVs=IpVp
NsVp=NpVs
You're both right, one is just talking about open circuit and the other is talking about in a closed circuit situation

Correct me if im wrong
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by Rolexjerry(m): 8:13am On Nov 23, 2020
Niyeal:
Can it generate electricity
Is it Kainji dam to generate electricity? Transformers don't generate electricity
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by Oracleforce: 8:27am On Nov 23, 2020
I.cant count how. many people who have fabricated a transformer in Nigeria.....
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by Tugee: 8:40am On Nov 23, 2020
What level of ignorance and nonsense is this.....

This is more of an art-work than technology. Firstly, a transformer does not generate electricity. Secondly, what exactly is it transforming because the only voltage level I can see here is 415V and there's absolutely no way those small insulators could work for higher voltages.

Education is the biggest problem in this country that's why we celebrate mediocracy. If this is an Arts exhibition then kudos to the guy for designing a substation look-alike prototype however if that is a technology exhibition, then it's an embarrassment to the organizers and shows how ignorant there are.

Please don't be an uneducated ignorant fool to come after me if you do not understand the most basic engineering principle.
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by cynthia500(f): 8:54am On Nov 23, 2020
“I always did something I was a little not ready to do. I think that’s how you grow. When there’s that moment of ‘Wow, I’m not really sure I can do this,’ and you push through those moments, that’s when you have a breakthrough.

1 Like

Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by DigitalSynergy: 8:57am On Nov 23, 2020
This is highly commendable. It means there's still hope.
All we need now is to flush out these old hags, and then invade the entire system.
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by johnisaola(m): 9:18am On Nov 23, 2020
Correct Guy
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by wirinet(m): 9:29am On Nov 23, 2020
Tony021:

Yes, induction is a function of voltage. But if you read further down in that article you will see that to increase the voltage produced you need to increase the magnetic field strength while keeping the speed constant. This involves more force. And force is related to current in electromagnetism by the relationship F=kti. Here power is increased

This therefore means, at constant power, if the magnetic field strength (force/current) was increased, the relative speed would be reduced and hence the voltage. (P=IpVp)

Summary
You were right theoretically about no power when talking about transformers but only in an open circuit situation where there is no resistance. voltage can still be computed
NsVp=NpVs

Also when current is passing because of either the resistance of the wire or load in general and hence power, these formulas apply
IsVs=IpVp
NsVp=NpVs
You're both right, one is just talking about open circuit and the other is talking about in a closed circuit situation

Correct me if im wrong
You are correct. Obviously you are an electrical that understand beyond what you cram in textbooks.

My main premise once again is transformers work on the principle of induction which is a function of voltage fluctuations. I have never argued that current in a closed or loaded circuit do not alternate or fluctuate. What I am trying to explain to electrical engineer Simplyleo is that the current fluctuations is because of voltage fluctuations and not vice versa. Voltage has an inverse relationship with current, so if voltage increases, current reduces to maintain the same constant which is power, which is the main reason electricity is transmitted with high voltage and then stepped down in your homes.

I am not an electrical engineer, so I might not know the complex mathematical equations, but I understand the practical hands on aspects, because I have built and designed small power circuits.
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by wellmax(m): 10:16am On Nov 23, 2020
Niyeal:
Transformer dey generate electricity?
grin grin grin
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by Tony021: 11:21am On Nov 23, 2020
wirinet:

You are correct. Obviously you are an electrical that understand beyond what you cram in textbooks.

My main premise once again is transformers work on the principle of induction which is a function of voltage fluctuations. I have never argued that current in a closed or loaded circuit do not alternate or fluctuate. What I am trying to explain to electrical engineer Simplyleo is that the current fluctuations is because of voltage fluctuations and not vice versa. Voltage has an inverse relationship with current, so if voltage increases, current reduces to maintain the same constant which is power, which is the main reason electricity is transmitted with high voltage and then stepped down in your homes.

I am not an electrical engineer, so I might not know the complex mathematical equations, but I understand the practical hands on aspects, because I have built and designed small power circuits.

I understand where you were coming from. You actually explained it many times and i agree.
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by wirinet(m): 11:47am On Nov 23, 2020
Tony021:

I understand where you were coming from. You actually explained it many times and i agree.
Oya all you electrical engineers, prove yourself. I need you guys help. Just this morning, my generation blew out my TV. My wife heard a loud bang from the TV. When NEPA brought light a few mins ago, I put on tv and it did not come on. On opening the cover of the TV, I found the Fuse and capacitor blown. I could not make out the type and value of the capacitor. So you power engineers on this thread, help me with the type and value of the capacitor below, so I can go looking for it.

Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by LORDKing001: 1:33pm On Nov 23, 2020
abumeinben:

Lol...na wa to you o
Abeg tell me na
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by kabillionaire(m): 1:34pm On Nov 23, 2020
transformer doesn't generate electricity.
Niyeal:
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by abumeinben(m): 1:55pm On Nov 23, 2020
LORDKing001:

Abeg tell me na
Electrical grin
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by bigwig071(m): 2:40pm On Nov 23, 2020
Lolzz dis 1 na big mumu work oooh!
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by Tony021: 2:55pm On Nov 23, 2020
wirinet:

Oya all you electrical engineers, prove yourself. I need you guys help. Just this morning, my generation blew out my TV. My wife heard a loud bang from the TV. When NEPA brought light a few mins ago, I put on tv and it did not come on. On opening the cover of the TV, I found the Fuse and capacitor blown. I could not make out the type and value of the capacitor. So you power engineers on this thread, help me with the type and value of the capacitor below, so I can go looking for it.

Did i forget to mention that i not a pro power electronics guy nor electrical guy for that matter. Was just giving my input. Cant help you much here. No vex. lipsrsealed
But im sure whoever can help will need more details about the tv like model name and such..
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by wirinet(m): 3:23pm On Nov 23, 2020
Tony021:

Did i forget to mention that i not a pro power electronics guy nor electrical guy for that matter. Was just giving my input. Cant help you much here. No vex. lipsrsealed
But im sure whoever can help will need more details about the tv like model name and such..
Ok, all power supplies work on fairly standard principles, with minor differences here and there. I asked a friend and showed him the capacitor, he told me the capacitor is just a boost capacitor. I am guessing the capacitor is used to regulate voltage in place of a choke. He said the capacitor should not affect the power supply much and the tv should still power on. I changed the fuse, and it went bang with sparks. I have traced that the power IC is also burnt. That must the issue causing the short circuit. I intend taking the power supply panel to Oshodi tomorrow to get the power IC changed or buy a new power board altogether.
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by 400billionman: 4:40pm On Nov 23, 2020
Let us see the support government will offer him.

The cost of setting up a transformer in Nigeria, just connecting your house or hotel to a self transformer is about N3m.

Let us watch the govt whether the story of aliyu will just disappear.
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by Tony021: 5:34pm On Nov 23, 2020
wirinet:

Ok, all power supplies work on fairly standard principles, with minor differences here and there. I asked a friend and showed him the capacitor, he told me the capacitor is just a boost capacitor. I am guessing the capacitor is used to regulate voltage in place of a choke. He said the capacitor should not affect the power supply much and the tv should still power on. I changed the fuse, and it went bang with sparks. I have traced that the power IC is also burnt. That must the issue causing the short circuit. I intend taking the power supply panel to Oshodi tomorrow to get the power IC changed or buy a new power board altogether.
Hope that solves your problem.

Can you help me with this project im working on?
It involves regeneration. My question is which motor is the most efficient for power regeneration? Im working on a project where a gearbox is involved and i want to convert that mechanical power to electrical power. From my analysis, the max power in the output shaft is about 30W at. 2400rpm. I heard dc motors have a very low efficiency in regeneration. As low as 10% at that speed (even the geared ones) This means i can bearly power an led. What are my other alternatives. Do you know their efficiencies in regeneration?
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by wirinet(m): 6:48pm On Nov 23, 2020
Tony021:

Hope that solves your problem.

Can you help me with this project im working on?
It involves regeneration. My question is which motor is the most efficient for power regeneration? Im working on a project where a gearbox is involved and i want to convert that mechanical power to electrical power. From my analysis, the max power in the output shaft is about 30W at. 2400rpm. I heard dc motors have a very low efficiency in regeneration. As low as 10% at that speed (even the geared ones) This means i can bearly power an led. What are my other alternatives. Do you know their efficiencies in regeneration?
I have never attempted power regeneration, but I think it involves trying to recover some energy from system that acquired some potential or even kinetic energy. For example when a car is going down a slope, some of its potential energy is converted to electricity using gears and alternator.

You will require a generator or alternator rather than a motor. Generators perform the reverse of motors. Some motors can act as generators, but they end up being very inefficient, and this probably explains why you are getting very poor output of electricity.

I have thought of attempting such a project and it was a car alternator that came to my mind. The problem with car alternators is that you need high RPM to get sufficient power from them.

If you are really serious about the project, you might need to order low RPM generators from alibaba or aliexpress, the type they use for wind turbines. They are very efficient and can work with as low as 100 RPM (revolution per minute).
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by Tony021: 9:24pm On Nov 23, 2020
wirinet:

I have never attempted power regeneration, but I think it involves trying to recover some energy from system that acquired some potential or even kinetic energy. For example when a car is going down a slope, some of its potential energy is converted to electricity using gears and alternator.

You will require a generator or alternator rather than a motor. Generators perform the reverse of motors. Some motors can act as generators, but they end up being very inefficient, and this probably explains why you are getting very poor output of electricity.

I have thought of attempting such a project and it was a car alternator that came to my mind. The problem with car alternators is that you need high RPM to get sufficient power from them.

If you are really serious about the project, you might need to order low RPM generators from alibaba or aliexpress, the type they use for wind turbines. They are very efficient and can work with as low as 100 RPM (revolution per minute).

I did some research and discovered that these low rpm "generators" are just motors whose output speeds were reduced with gears to get higher torques. They just did some rewiring and repackaged them as generators (generators and motors work on the same induction principle anyway).
They seem to be relatively efficient because the speed on the shaft (which is now input) gets amplified because of the gears. But in truth they are not efficient at all

For instance, in a typical motor spec sheet you will see rated input voltage and current as well as rated output speed and operating torque. This helps you calculate the efficiency of your motor under operating loads (IV=Tw*efficiency).

The generators/alternators/dynamos i see only give you information about the speed required to produce a certain voltage and the rated power of the motor. So in the formula IV*efficiency = Tw, the torque or mechanical power needed to generate the speed in general is ommited.

There're basically saying we dont care how you get that rpm and we dont want you to know how efficient our motors are, just give us the speed and we'll give u this voltage. Even big car manufacturers of alternators hide effieciency info

Ill just have to buy anyone that produces some voltage from my speed and hope for d best
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by LORDKing001: 8:38am On Nov 24, 2020
abumeinben:

Electrical grin

Abeg I get project for hand. I need help
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by abumeinben(m): 10:09am On Nov 24, 2020
LORDKing001:

Abeg I get project for hand. I need help
Lol ...since how many years man.

Anyways, which project?
Which school?
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by LORDKing001: 12:30pm On Nov 24, 2020
abumeinben:

Lol ...since how many years man.

Anyways, which project?
Which school?
Design n construction
Of inverter
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by abumeinben(m): 1:31pm On Nov 24, 2020
LORDKing001:

Design n construction
Of inverter

My project that year

So what do you have.... wetin you don do so far
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by LORDKing001: 1:48pm On Nov 24, 2020
[quote author=abumeinben post=96389440]

My project that year

So what do you have.... wetin you don do so far[/quote
I never do anything practical about it I just d for chapter 2 ni before strike. Abeg your number pls
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 24, 2020
Where is your own innovation?
Learn to appreciated.
DontBullshitMe:
I see mediocrity.
Re: Anas Aliyu Boyi Fabricates A Transformer In Sokoto by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 24, 2020
Where is your own innovation?
Learn to appreciate.
DontBullshitMe:
I see mediocrity.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Malayan Leaf Frog Aka Long-Nosed Horned Frog: World's Most Camouflaged Frog / NASA Hires A Priest to Help Prepare Humans For Aliens(Pics, Video) / Mysterious High-frequency Waves Swirling On The Sun ( Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.