Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:23 AM

Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion (7324 Views)

Inside London's 'chamber Of Secrets' 100ft Beneath, Can Nigeria Do Same If Attac / US And Uk Ready For Air Strike In Syria As Russia And China Defend / Chavez Brings First Shipment Of Gold To Venezuela From Foreign Vaults (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by NDelta(m): 9:17pm On Mar 20, 2011
Recent events around the world and in Nigeria keeps bringing this question to my mind therefore I decided to ask you guys what u think of the Nigerian Military bearing in mind that ordinary that they can't even flush out ordinary MEND militants from the Niger
Delta so what are we gonna do when Cameroon decide to invade. What are we gonna do when Jonathan decide to use his incumbent power to rig the
Election and infuriated Buhari decide to sponsor fundamentalist to cause havoc and then
Britain
\ France\ America decides to invade because the crisis is causing oil shortage internationally? Will Nigeria withstand these powerful countries? Uncle Jonathan pls don't rig ooh I beg u
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by Nobody: 9:21pm On Mar 20, 2011
The future is about real resources ,the chinese have gone for this and they continue to invest in many parts ,but the others want to get the resources by force,in libya its about oil and not democracy,in iraq same,does invents potends dangers for Nigeria.we are in trouble,onces an independent state could attacked by few .Nigerian military cant do anything.
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by Sunofgod(m): 10:17pm On Mar 20, 2011
If the 'Juju Men' come together, I'm confident we can repel any form of attack - grin
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by pleep(m): 11:14pm On Mar 20, 2011
Sun of god:

If the 'Juju Men' come together, I'm confident we can repel any form of attack - grin
haha! grin
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by NDelta(m): 11:23pm On Mar 20, 2011
Son of God. That's a funny one, which juju can withstand bomber jets lol
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by cold(m): 11:31pm On Mar 20, 2011
If they come as close as 2000 nautical miles near Naija we'll bury them alive  angry welcome to the killing fields  tongue
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by pleep(m): 11:31pm On Mar 20, 2011
the Nigerian military has about 67,000 profesional men. There is no way nigeria, or any country, could hope to compete militarily with the U.S canada, the E.U, China or russia. The military dominance of the west will continue forever.  keep in mind the u.s spent 663,255,000,000 on its military in 2009 alone.
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by NDelta(m): 12:05am On Mar 21, 2011
Wow pleep.
That's some good information u seem to be well Informd.
@Cold
What a dream. I bet even Togo will give us a run for our money not to talk of almighty South Africa. As for European, USA, Canada or the Arabs these are no go areas.
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:27am On Mar 21, 2011
@ topic.

No.
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by Nobody: 2:48am On Mar 21, 2011
pleep said:

the Nigerian military has about 67,000 profesional men. There is no way nigeria, or any country, could hope to compete militarily with the U.S canada, the E.U, China or russia. The military dominance of the west will continue forever.  keep in mind the u.s spent 663,255,000,000 on its military in 2009 alone.

YOU ARE WRONG.

The military dominance of the west will NOT ''continue forever''. NOTHING on this earth has EVER been infinite. EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY reaches its end.

EVERYTHING. cool
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by Nobody: 2:53am On Mar 21, 2011
N.Delta said:

Recent events around the world and in Nigeria keeps bringing this question to my mind therefore I decided to ask you guys what u think of the Nigerian Military bearing in mind that ordinary that they can't even flush out ordinary MEND militants from the Niger
Delta so what are we gonna do when Cameroon decide to invade.

GET THIS: THe Nigerian Army can ''flush out'' MEND from the Delta in under 2 hours MAXIMUM if required.

The only problem is there will be mass casualties, which is what the federal government wishes to avoid - hence the softly softly approach. BUT MAKE NO MISTAKE - In pure military terms, the Niger Delta is less than 1 hour's job for the Nigerian Armed Forces.

In fact the Navy alone can wipe off the entire delta from the map without a need to deploy ground troops.

As for Cameroun, do they even have a proper navy? How many fighter jets do they have? They are no match at all for the Nigerian military. Any such comparisons stem from crass ignorance.
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by NDelta(m): 4:12am On Mar 21, 2011
Rossike remember how Nigerian soldiers were massacred in odi? Pls be informed that I dnt support the militants but dnt u think that if this was happening in the USA their military would have infiltrated the militant with undercover officers for information gathering. Its doesn't require having a PHD in warfare to be tactical. Am a niger deltan and I will tell u the truth. The military have failed us. MEND keep bombing, kidnapping etc yet u say we have navy. Its a pity.
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by Nobody: 5:01am On Mar 21, 2011
N.Delta said:

Rossike remember how Nigerian soldiers were massacred in odi? Pls be informed that I dnt support the militants but dnt u think that if this was happening in the USA their military would have infiltrated the militant with undercover officers for information gathering. Its doesn't require having a PHD in warfare to be tactical. Am a niger deltan and I will tell u the truth. The military have failed us. MEND keep bombing, kidnapping etc yet u say we have navy. Its a pity.

My friend you've been watching too many James Bond movies! Na beans? Infiltrate wetin? These Delta guys are very amorphous and don't have the formalized, rigid structure or hierarchy that lends itself to much success via infiltration.
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by isalegan2: 5:02am On Mar 21, 2011
pleep:

the Nigerian military has about 67,000 profesional men. There is no way nigeria, or any country, could hope to compete militarily with the U.S canada, the E.U, China or russia. The military dominance of the west will continue forever.  keep in mind the u.s spent 663,255,000,000 on its military in 2009 alone.

I would support a concerted effort to grow the ranks of the Nigerian military personnel to hundreds of thousands.  In a country with the population if 150mil, it is not too ambitious or far-fetched to budget for a 200-500,000 minimum armed forces.  To be honest, I'm surprised the number is under a 100,000, if true.

1) I would support and participate in a draft.  2) Also, why not do what the Israelis do, whereby all citizens, male and female, of a certain age serve a mandatory number of years in the military.  What you want is deterrence.  Create fear in your enemies to the point they resist aggression towards you.  That is a war you've won without lifting a single weapon.

I bet you many countries would speak out against it too, once they see us trying to fulfill our destiny as the strongest country in Africa.  They're rather keep us weak, begging for their assistance whenever a puny home-made bomb goes off.  Eff that!
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by Nobody: 5:02am On Mar 21, 2011
Our military are on peace keeping mission,they will be back soon to face MEND
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by honeric01(m): 5:29am On Mar 21, 2011
Why not when we can pray that they have a change of heart?
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by Osama10(m): 5:38am On Mar 21, 2011
Sun of god:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I don faint. grin
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by Sunofgod(m): 11:03am On Mar 21, 2011
The have 'Bombers'

And we have 'Bombers'

So no shaking grin
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by Okijajuju1(m): 11:28am On Mar 21, 2011
N.Delta:

Son of God. That's a funny one, which juju can withstand bomber jets lol

o yea of littlle faith,

Sun of god:

all i need are two assistants, one to handle the water attacks from submarines and ships, one to handle air attacks fron tomahawks, b-2's, f-1xs and mirages and i will handle the ground foprces from tanks, apc's, infantry and all.

why do people think no country wan find our trouble?
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by strangleyo: 3:29pm On Mar 21, 2011
Our military can't defend us, but with a population of 150,000,000+, most would be attackers won't bother ever putting troops on the ground. The security void that would be created if the Nigerian government is removed would require any western nations, and even China to basically draft an army to keep the peace.

Iraq's population was 20million, and the coalition had difficulty controlling it after the Baath party was removed. Ours is 150m. And we've got jungles. Groups like Mend, Boko Haram, etc will grow in ranks and become like the Al-Sadr brigades of Iraq.
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by Nobody: 4:13pm On Mar 21, 2011
If it were to be african invasion i'l say yes. But if you are referring to what we are witnessing in libya involving western nations i'l say no cos we source our weaponry from them and they wouldnt want us to be on equal rank and if we try to challenge them we'l be branded as a terrorist country developing weapons of mass destruction and we may end up being branded like iran, afghanistan, iraq, libya e.t.c countries that dare challenge US/UK/UNs authority in world affairs. African leaders are too greedy and lily livered to play politics on a global stage and thats the reason the continent is backward in the scheme of things.
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by isalegan2: 4:16pm On Mar 21, 2011
strangleyo:

And we've got jungles. Groups like Mend, Boko Haram, etc will grow in ranks and become like the Al-Sadr brigades of Iraq.  

I wish!

But, we can't take that for granted.  How do we know those groups would fight to keep the country as one?  Sometimes those types of groups will align themselves with outside forces if they're promised something, like autonomy.  angry  What we need is to turn every Naija into a potential killer of invading armies.  Teach everyone hand to hand combat.  Strike fear in your (potential) enemies.  It ain't childs play. 

hmmmm.  I'm warming to this topic.  grin
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by isalegan2: 4:21pm On Mar 21, 2011
Sun of god:

And we have 'Bombers'

So no shaking grin

Our bomber, I mean, your bomber, the so-called bomber pulled his punches and only ended up with a singed crotch.  Poor brainwashed kid.  Anyway, he didn't do it.  It was all a setup.  lipsrsealed
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by violent(m): 6:09pm On Mar 21, 2011
A country's real strength in terms of military does not only depend on what it has in its arsenal, but more on the kind of allies it has.

Britain has recently cut down it's military spending by a significant amount, but yet, it will take balls more than the size of watermelon for you to even think of invading Britain.

For the dolt who thinks nothing continues forever, I have always known that you couldn't think beyond your nose, if a country spends an amount on military, more than twice the figure of other country's yearly budget, how the hell would its dominance in military terms not continue forever?

Those dudes are making weapons of the future, what the fúck does Nigeria boast of? Libya has a far advanced military system than Nigeria does and its military capability was crippled in one night. The storm shadow cruise missile could be shot through your window from 200 miles away!
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by PhysicsMHD(m): 6:30pm On Mar 21, 2011
violent:

A country's real strength in terms of military does not only depend on what it has in its arsenal, but more on the kind of allies it has.

Britain has recently cut down it's military spending by a significant amount, but yet, it will take balls more than the size of watermelon for you to even think of invading Britain.

For the dolt who thinks nothing continues forever, I have always known that you couldn't think beyond your nose, if a country spends an amount on military, more than twice the figure of other country's yearly budget, how the hell would its dominance in military terms not continue forever?

Those dudes are making weapons of the future, what the fúck does Nigeria boast of? Libya has a far advanced military system than Nigeria does and its military capability was crippled in one night. The storm shadow cruise missile could be shot through your window from 200 miles away!

Basically.
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by strangleyo: 6:30pm On Mar 21, 2011
Legalizing the right to bear weapons and military training of the population would also work well in our favour, as a democratic country we should have nothing to fear if we have a well armed population.

Think of Brazil, nobody would consider invading them, even if they went rogue. With a population of 180m, well armed civilians it would be almost impossible.
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by violent(m): 6:40pm On Mar 21, 2011
strangleyo:

Legalizing the right to bear weapons and military training of the population would also work well in our favour, as a democratic country we should have nothing to fear if we have a well armed population.

Think of Brazil, nobody would consider invading them, even if they went rogue. With a population of 180m, well armed civilians it would be almost impossible.

By your logic, if everyone has a right to bear arms and has a military training, then that ought to keep invaders at bay? . . . .Ridiculous, in a world Tomahawks missiles? Who says you can't be shot from a thousand miles away?
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by strangleyo: 6:55pm On Mar 21, 2011
violent:

By your logic, if everyone has a right to bear arms and has a military training, then that ought to keep invaders at bay? . . . .Ridiculous, in a world Tomahawks missiles?  Who says you can't be shot from a thousand miles away?

I'm not saying they wouldn't bomb us, but to what end?

If they're going to invade they'll still need to impose order after the invasion. They'll need to put boots on the ground.

Tomahawks work great in deserts, and against armor and heavy weapons, but when your enemy is an armed civilian population, they'd pretty much be ineffective. Someone still has to come on the ground to impose order.
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by Nobody: 7:14pm On Mar 21, 2011
We have to think and act outside the box. A country whose leadership has become bereft of ideas and made to beg cap in hand everytime to western nations will never be big player in world politics be it economic or security. Check out countries like iran, india, brazil, china, the koreans and other asian tigers, they had to be deviants at certain stages of their development to attain their present status cos nobody will give u freedom except you take it. Unfortunately these are the needed leadership we require in africa but we mostly have rogues with no clue about governance except to steal and the few bold and deviant ones like ghadaffi eventually became too overzealous thereby playing into the hand of the western nations and end up being deserted and made a scapegoat by other greedy and coward african leaders. Africa need strong leadership that can propel us into a new age of real competition in world politics, economics, technology and defence!
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by cap28: 11:10pm On Mar 21, 2011
before you even begin to talk about nigeria being able to defend herself from foreign invasion you have to ensure that the people within the country are united and willing to come together to fight the external enemy, nigeria is not united so i dont know how you are going to get an army together that will be willing to face down a common external enemy.

if nigeria were to be invaded tomorrow it will be so easy for foreign forces to take over the country - infact they wont even need to invade physically, they can simply do what they  are doing in libya - arm one side and get them to fight on their behalf in order to overthrow the leader that they are trying to oust.
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by Nobody: 1:00am On Mar 22, 2011
violent said:

Those dudes are making weapons of the future, what the fúck does Nigeria boast of? 

Hahahahahahahaha!  You guys are so myopic it's a bloody joke. You are the one who cannot see beyond your nose.

Get this: You see this western civilization you sit there thinking will last forever? One day, it will come crashing down like a ton of bricks.

Human nature, and Human history dating from the last 100,000 years DECREES that this shall be the case.

Every human civilization MUST reach its apogee, and then begin a descent, either a gradual one, or a sharp, cataclysmic one.

Now whichever way the west chooses, one thing you can be sure of is that IT WILL HAPPEN.

If you look around, it's already happening.

Sure the US still has 'the most powerful military in the world', but financially, it is bankrupt.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-11/u-s-is-bankrupt-and-we-don-t-even-know-commentary-by-laurence-kotlikoff.html

And with the country's economy, together with that of other western nations experiencing -2% annual growth rates, compared with Asian and African nations 7-12% annual, with all projections indicating this will continue to be the case for several decades into the future, the tide is ALREADY turning away from the west.

The only debate now should be how quickly they will fall. It could be slow and painful - decades of slow deterioration leading eventually to Third World Status - or they could decide to go out in style, by their major powers annihilating one another in nuclear conflict.

Libya has a far advanced military system than Nigeria does and its military capability was crippled in one night.  The storm shadow cruise missile could be shot through your window from 200 miles away!

Abeg make we hear something. Far advanced military system than Nigeria my asssss.  SHOW US WITH up-to-date STATISTICS AND FIGURES THAT THIS IS THE CASE. Don't just expect us to believe it because it's ''Libya''.
Re: Can Nigeria Defend Her Self From Foreign Invasion by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:18am On Mar 22, 2011
^^^^^

Previous civilizations were not self-aware and did not dream of the possibility of their entire civilization crumbling into nothingness.

They were not aware that previous civilizations had reached their apogee and then come crashing down. However, for the civilization that emerged out of Western Europe in the 1300s/1400s out of the ashes of Greek/Roman civilization after borrowing from "Islamic" civilization, they've been aware of it from their very foundation (being aware of Hellenic/Roman civilization crumbling to pieces) and are aware of it till today. All those "end-of-civilization" movies, like Planet of the Apes, or any of the nuclear fallout or environmental disaster or communist or totalitarian victory movies depict this latent fear in the minds of the populace of a decline and regression quite clearly. Then there are books like The Decline of the West by Oswald Spengler, which, although I honestly haven't read  (and I'm not really interested in reading it), seem to reveal that the civilization that arose out of Western Europe in the 1400s is highly self-aware.

You're probably right though about the next several decades belonging to China. All indicators seem to be pointing in that direction.

I can see Japan eventually disregarding the West and rearming/re-militarizing itself so as to not have to helplessly kowtow to China's increased might as Japan's Western allies lose ground/power to China. I can also see another showdown between China and India, much greater than that of the 60s.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. / Exposed: Why Israel Is Hated By Arabs & Their Apologists / Niger Bars UN, NGOs From Military Operation Zones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.