Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,056 members, 7,814,630 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Frequent Fan Belt Cut - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Frequent Fan Belt Cut (4404 Views)

7 Frequent Braking Problems You Should Never Ignore / My Peugeot 206 Constantly Cuts Fan Belt And Mechanics Have Turned Me To An Atm / Toyota Camry 2007 Fan Belt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Frequent Fan Belt Cut by Thenext: 7:18am On Nov 28, 2020
Please house what can be the cause of frequent fan belt cut? My Mercedes Benz (GLK350) fan belt has been cutting to pieces this days, within a week I have changed 2 different fan belt which I think is unusual. The belts got collapsed while driving. I have been using the car for over 3 years now and I have not experienced such before.
Re: Frequent Fan Belt Cut by Mottomata(m): 7:40am On Nov 28, 2020
Did you change any component in the path of the fan belt? Like compressor etc.

Do you hear any unusual sound/noise?

You should conduct a visual inspection too or get someone qualified to check for you
Re: Frequent Fan Belt Cut by Midoda: 8:54am On Nov 28, 2020
Thenext:
Please house what can be the cause of frequent fan belt cut? My Mercedes Benz (GLK350) fan belt has been cutting to pieces this days, within a week I have changed 2 different fan belt which I think is unusual. The belts got collapsed while driving. I have been using the car for over 3 years now and I have not experienced such before.
What quality of belt are you replacing with? Examine the engine pulley and or rollers/adjuster.

1 Like

Re: Frequent Fan Belt Cut by Thenext: 9:07am On Nov 28, 2020
I did not change anything. Thank you

quote author=Mottomata post=96518962]Did you change any component in the path of the fan belt? Like compressor etc.

Do you hear any unusual sound/noise?

You should conduct a visual inspection too or get someone qualified to check for you[/quote]
Re: Frequent Fan Belt Cut by Thenext: 9:09am On Nov 28, 2020
Those mechanics said it’s tokunbo belt and collected 5k for the purchase of the belt. Who knows may be it’s inferior belt. Please how can I get original belt

Thanks

Midoda:

What quality of belt are you replacing with? Examine the engine pulley and or rollers/adjuster.
Re: Frequent Fan Belt Cut by Lexusgs430: 9:29am On Nov 28, 2020
Thenext:
Those mechanics said it’s tokunbo belt and collected 5k for the purchase of the belt. Who knows may be it’s inferior belt. Please how can I get original belt

Thanks

Coscharis.......
Re: Frequent Fan Belt Cut by sultaan(m): 9:36am On Nov 28, 2020
If you turn all your rollers and the are good, nothing is stuck then you have to replace your idler tensioner. you will know when you put a new belt the tensioner will be bouncing a lot

1 Like

Re: Frequent Fan Belt Cut by Arysexy(m): 12:46pm On Nov 28, 2020
sultaan:
If you turn all your rollers and the are good, nothing is stuck then you have to replace your idler. you will know when you put a new belt the tensioner will be bouncing a lot

Which one is idler?

Have suffered this belt cut in my Camry 2002 till I packed it.

Changed all rollers, Tensioners, OEM belt even Tokumbo, water pump, etc

The mechanic don tire, he said I should flush d engine that it could be sludge seizing the timing belt to cut, but I no wan risk such venture that will damage d engine.

I have decided to be using it for only local runs, while my corolla is for traveling.
Re: Frequent Fan Belt Cut by 9icetoo(m): 3:48pm On Nov 28, 2020
It could be any of the accessories that the belt turns such as the compressor, alternator, water pump, idler pulley roller etc. All these will have to be examined. Any with unusual noise may have to be replaced.
I had an issue like this on a skoda but it was the alternator that was the culprit. Merely spinning it didn't indicate any problem. The mechanic however had seen something similar recently and his guess worked.

As for the original belt, you will get it in trinity close to ladipo or go to radautoworks at lekki.
She is on Nairaland as well.
Gazzuzz seems to be going the German way so might take a look at the car.
I do not think your problem is a fake belt. Even the fake belts last a long time.
Something is creating so much resistance to the rolling motion of the belt causing it to collapse or cut.
Re: Frequent Fan Belt Cut by Thenext: 8:39pm On Nov 28, 2020
Thanks appreciate

9icetoo:
It could be any of the accessories that the belt turns such as the compressor, alternator, water pump, idler pulley roller etc. All these will have to be examined. Any with unusual noise may have to be replaced.
I had an issue like this on a skoda but it was the alternator that was the culprit. Merely spinning it didn't indicate any problem. The mechanic however had seen something similar recently and his guess worked.

As for the original belt, you will get it in trinity close to ladipo or go to radautoworks at lekki.
She is on Nairaland as well.
Gazzuzz seems to be going the German way so might take a look at the car.
I do not think your problem is a fake belt. Even the fake belts last a long time.
Something is creating so much resistance to the rolling motion of the belt causing it to collapse or cut.
Re: Frequent Fan Belt Cut by sultaan(m): 4:46am On Nov 29, 2020
Arysexy:

Which one is idler?

Have suffered this belt cut in my Camry 2002 till I packed it.

Changed all rollers, Tensioners, OEM belt even Tokumbo, water pump, etc

The mechanic don tire, he said I should flush d engine that it could be sludge seizing the timing belt to cut, but I no wan risk such venture that will damage d engine.

I have decided to be using it for only local runs, while my corolla is for traveling.

Sorry I meant tensioner, you will see the pully on it bouncing
Re: Frequent Fan Belt Cut by cluewebhost(m): 7:07am On Nov 29, 2020
At times the components the belt rolls on might not be aligned properly (take it to a professional to confirm)

Is there belt debris left from previous cuts behind any of the pulleys? Can interfere with their spinning

Also ideally you're meant to change the belt with the tensioners and co (they come in a kit) ask Radautoworks for the one for your car or better still if you're close to lekki drive down so they take a look at it.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Dont I See Dealers Selling Cars Like Nissan GTR On Nairaland/ Other Forums / Am Scared Of Driving / Toyota Camry Muscle 2011 Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.